Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
BM-BOATSWAIN'S MATE
Last Post 12 Sep 2019 02:04 PM by CPORJM. 213 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 812345 > >>
Author Messages
Trusted Member / Administrator
chukles

--
08 Jan 2010 10:49 PM
    BOATSWAIN'S MATE (BM)

To view a video of this rate, click here.

Boatswain's Mates (BM), the most versatile members of the Coast Guard's operational team, are masters of seamanship. BMs are capable of performing almost any task in connection with deck maintenance, small boat operations, navigation, and supervising all personnel assigned to a ship's deck force. BMs operate hoists, cranes, and winches to load cargo or set gangplanks, stand watch for security, navigation, or communications, and have a general knowledge of ropes and cables, including different uses, stresses, strains, and proper stowing.

Types of Duty:

BMs can be found in nearly every duty station available throughout the United States and various locations overseas. They serve on every Coast Guard cutter, from harbor tugs to sea going icebreakers. Additionally, in many assignments you will act as a federal law enforcement officer. BMs are officers-in-charge of many patrol boats, tugs, small craft, and small shore units including search and rescue stations and aids to navigation teams. BMs utilize their leadership and expertise to perform the missions of the Coast Guard, at sea and on shore.

Training Available:

Training for Boatswain's Mate is accomplished through 12 weeks of intensive training at Yorktown, VA or with on-the-job training through a striker program. Once this training is completed, BMs may go on to other advance training such as Coxswain, Heavy Weather Coxswain, Aids to Navigation Basic and Advanced, Buoy Deck Supervisor, Law Enforcement including fisheries, among others.

Qualifications:

You should have leadership ability, physical strength, good hearing, normal color vision, and a high degree of manual dexterity. School courses taken in algebra, geometry, and shop are helpful. Any experience handling small boats is extremely valuable.

Related Civilian Jobs:

Pier Superintendent
    Tugboat Crewman
    Heavy Equipment Operator
    Marina Supervisor
    Marina Operator
    Ship Pilot

Vr,
    Chuck

These poor, plain men, dwellers upon the lonely sands of Hatteras, took their lives in their hands, and, at the most imminent risk crossed the most tumultuous sea…and all for what? That others might live to see home and friends. — Annual Report of the U.S. Life- Saving Service, 1885

Recruiting Website

Read here for answers to the most often asked questions about joining the Coast Guard!

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    08 Jan 2010 10:52 PM
    Posts in old BM forum;

What exactly are the duties for a BM at a Station versus one on a Cutter?

At a station you would be standing duty. Standing duty means you stay at the unit overnight to act as part of the SAR ready crew. Most stations do a port/stbd rotation which means you'll stand duty Mon & Tue, off Wed & Thurs, duty Fri/Sat/Sun, off Mon/Tues, and so forth. During your duty days as a non-rate you'll be cleaning the boats, doing boat checks ( which is making sure all the equipment is there) cleaning the station, and working on your qualifications to be a certified crew member on the boat.

On a cutter you'll be doing basically the same thing as a station with the exception of the duty standing. Depending on the cutter size you can be out from 7 days to 3 months. When inport the work day is either 7-3pm or 7-1pm, the time depends on the command and how much work needs to be done. You'll also stand duty on a cutter, typically it's a 1 in 4 rotation (one day of duty every four days). Certifications you'll have to get on a cutter include helm, watchstander, lookout, and DCPQS.

And FYI junior BM has about the same duties as a non rate at a station or cutter. Once the qualifications I listed above completed BM's are required to become a certified coxswain or underway OOD (DWO).

My boyfriend has just started BM A school and said he's having a tough time taking in some of the information they are teaching them. He has always done well in school - on the Dean's list in college every semester, did well on the ASVAB and did great on his tests in boot camp. Apparently they told his class they have decided to go with a harder curriculum and pretty much have made everything harder. I'm wondering if this is true or if they are playing head games kind of like in boot camp? Either way, I guess it doesn't matter because he has to get through it. Most of his class has had sea time, while his boat was in dry dock for the entire time he was at his first station (he was on the Gallatin in Charleston, SC). I'm wondering if that's why he's having a hard time with Nav and whatever else he's been learning. I guess I am just trying to figure out what he can do if he is having a hard time. Besides classmates, who is he able to talk to about this or go to for help? It would absolutely kill him if he did not succeed in this, especially when he's never had a hard time before.

Also, and I'm just speculating here, being "smart" can work against you if things always came easy for you and you didn't develop good study habits. I had some personal experience along those lines when I started engineering classes in college...

If he is having problems he needs to talk to his class advisors. They will be able to set him up for extra instruction if necessary. If he doesn't understand a concept then he needs to let the instructors know. They can't help him if he doesn't speak up.
    "When you fall on your face you are still moving forward."

What subjects is he having problems with? There's a lot of info out there that may help him with his studies. I would recommend he go to this site: www.boatswainsmate.net. There is a lot of good study material there that will help him thru school (and further on in his career).

And as Gears said, recommend to him to tell his class advisor that he's having problems. They will be more than happy to either help him themselves or pair him up with someone in the class who is
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    BM3psu

--
    02 Aug 2010 05:05 PM
    BM3's on a cutter, as defined by my BM1: it is the best job in the coast guard, you get your quals done as you stand around on the deck or flight deck, smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee haha but no BM is a great posistion and school is awesome to
    Mr.Magic

--
    13 Nov 2010 03:19 PM
    Probably stupid questions but I'll ask anyways.

Is it possible for a BM to earn a 1600 ton masters license while in the CG?

And what type of boating license would a coxswain qualified BM earn while in the coast guard?
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    13 Nov 2010 03:26 PM
    Yes it is possible to get your license.
    miamiguardian2011

--
    24 Jan 2011 07:57 PM
    Hey there everyone, I just past my ASVAB test and I was selected for Aviation Survival Technician and Boatswain's Mate , my question about this job is : Do you choose either to work on a station or on a cutter, or it depends of the USCG's needs?
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    24 Jan 2011 08:38 PM
    You were not "selected" for either. Your ASVAB scores qualify you to pursue those ratings (and probably others). Where you are sent to do your initial training after boot camp (as a non-rate) is at the discretion of the Coast Guard. Discuss your possibilities with your recruiter. Good Luck!
    miamiguardian2011

--
    24 Jan 2011 08:44 PM
    Oh ok, and thank you.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    otnasirk

--
    25 Feb 2011 07:27 PM
    Can BMs also be law enforcements as what the video said?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    25 Feb 2011 07:36 PM
    Yep. Everyone in the CG has the ability to do law enforcement work. An FS can be on a boarding team and that is law enforcement. So can a non-rate or an OS or an MK.... So yes, you can be involved with LE as a BM.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    otnasirk

--
    25 Feb 2011 09:11 PM
    Tnx.i really want to do LE.but since im not a US Citizen yet,i cant be an ME.i'll be a BM for the meantime.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    otnasirk

--
    01 Mar 2011 12:04 PM
    How long is BM A school and what are my chances of becoming a BM after basic?
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    01 Mar 2011 12:08 PM
    12 weeks long in Yorktown, Va. As long as your ASVAB scores allow, you can put your name on the "A" school list after approximately 4-6 months at your first unit, with command approval. You need to get all your basic qualifications done before approval will be granted.

Here's a link to the school: http://www.uscg.mil/tcyorktown/Ops/...efault.asp
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    otnasirk

--
    01 Mar 2011 12:42 PM
    Thanks!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    otnasirk

--
    01 Mar 2011 12:43 PM
    How long is the waiting period to get to BM A school?
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    01 Mar 2011 01:16 PM
    Currently (as of Feb 15th) 18-24 months.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...Rkbw&pli=1
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    otnasirk

--
    01 Mar 2011 02:07 PM
    Oh wow.just like the ME
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    01 Mar 2011 02:27 PM
    Actually, if you check the list on the link I provided, ME is "more than 24 months"...how much "more" is anyone's guess..........

Don't worry about wait time, they will vary according to the needs of the service. Concentrate on getting accepted for enlistment, surviving boot camp, and work your tail off at your first unit. The rest will take care of itself.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    otnasirk

--
    01 Mar 2011 03:01 PM
    What do we do at the first unit
    I passed my asvab and im just waiting for my recruiter's call for my ship date and swearing in.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    01 Mar 2011 03:22 PM
    You do anything/everything. From scraping paint, cleaning....to the everyday Coast Guard mission...search and rescue, LE work..etc etc....

Research these forums, you will find all your answers previously posted.
    jrl1988

--
    05 Mar 2011 03:40 PM
    If I get deployed will my name be put on the top of the ""A"" school list for Boatswains Mate and if so how do I get deployed??
    Also how long is an average Coast Guard deployment and what would I be doing while over there?

Thanks,
    Josh
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 Mar 2011 06:39 PM
    They put out a request for volunteers... many, many Coasties put in for it. My ex-husband tried going in the 1st Gulf War in 1991. He finally got his shot in 2010. Thank God he didn't wait that long to go to A school. There is a lot of pride and dedication to duty to serve in the sandbox... but do not do it just so you can bounce on an A school list. That is not the right reason.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    05 Mar 2011 08:15 PM
    +1 Macie. Seldom does a non-rate, fresh out of boot camp get deployed to a war zone. There are exceptions to everything, but highly unlikely. You could get assigned to a Cutter that needs non-rates that ends up in the Persian Gulf, but don't count on it.

There are no shortcuts to "A" school. Time in the fleet is beneficial to you to get some hands on experience and mentoring before you are advanced to Petty Officer. Put your time in, learn at your first unit, and then when you are ready the CG will give you the opportunity to go off to school.
    jrl1988

--
    05 Mar 2011 08:18 PM
    http://www.uscg.mil/psc/epm/docs/A-...ol-Req.pdf

Another question: using the link above if you look beside the ratings they have a obligated service time frame. For example the Boatswains Mate is 25 months( Upon graduation). So if I were to decide to put my name on the a school list for boatswains mate, after boot camp ( 8 weeks or 2 months) and the required (4-6 months on my first unit), instead of striking... by the time I graduate from a school i will have served some where between 27-35 months. Now doing more math that only leaves 21-13 months left on a 4 year contract and the obligated time to serve after graduation is 25 months. Now that being said my question is what would they do about that would they just tack on a few more months or up it to a 6 year contract? Either way I dont care was just wondering how that would work. And also on average does anyone know how long it would take to do the striker program instead?

Thanks,
    Josh
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    otnasirk

--
    05 Apr 2011 01:58 PM
    Is it possible to strike for BM and sign up for ME A school?Thanks!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    05 Apr 2011 02:48 PM
    ow that being said my question is what would they do about that

The extra months will be tacked on after you graduate. You'll have to sign paperwork agreeing before you can accept orders for school.

Is it possible to strike for BM and sign up for ME A school?Thanks!

Yes. But, if you finish striking before you go to ME school, and put your name on the BM3 advancement list your name will be taken off the "A" school list.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    otnasirk

--
    05 Apr 2011 04:56 PM
    @gears-thank you sir.so basically,once you're rated,you have to serve a certain amount of years to be able to switch rates.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    06 Apr 2011 07:45 AM
    Yeah, you have to be in rate for X number of years. I don't have the regs in front of me so I won't guess. Switching is not as easy as, "I don't like this, I want to do something else." The switch has to be approved by all levels of the chain of command. It can be a long process and may not get approved. If you are a BM3 trying to switch to ME3 it probably won't happen.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    otnasirk

--
    07 Apr 2011 05:25 PM
    Thank you sir.It might be a silly question but i am asking it anyways. What does the "3" means when you say BM3 or ME3?Is it Petty Officer 3rd class BM?
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    07 Apr 2011 06:25 PM
    Ya, you're a Petty Officer 3rd Class(E-4).
    you'd have to put a change of rating package in, which goes to your current Rating Force Master Chief. It sometimes can take a while.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 812345 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement