Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
BM-BOATSWAIN'S MATE
Last Post 12 Sep 2019 01:04 PM by CPORJM. 213 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 8 << < 12345 > >>
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
otnasirk

--
07 Apr 2011 08:17 PM
Thanks E!
Basic Member
Basic Member
gdeyarmond

--
23 Apr 2011 03:17 PM
Oh, I'm at least 24 months ahead of myself, but after someone is a BM3 how long would it be before they could get Surfman or rough weather qualified? Just a general question so I have a realistic time-frame. Thanks. 
Trusted Member
Gears

--
23 Apr 2011 04:15 PM
You have to be at a Surf or Heavy WX station to train for surf or heavy WX. So, it comes down to luck of the draw.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
CaptNick

--
23 Apr 2011 04:35 PM
Surfman program is a 6 year commitment too.
Basic Member
Basic Member
gdeyarmond

--
24 Apr 2011 05:50 PM
Good info guys. Thanks.
Jeepin_Coastie

--
28 Apr 2011 05:40 PM
Hey guys i'm shipping to Cape May june 07. I'm more than likely going to strike BM with the future career goal of going for surfman. Question of opinion i have. Where do people with experience think i should put down on my Data Assignment Sheet? I'm going to put down practically all of the 20 Surf stations but i do you think i should put a smaller cutter for my first unit to strike BM? Or  just go right for a surf station to get early exposure to it? Thank you for you time and help!

And yes i know its needs of service first so i could end up any where, just looking to get a feel of where i should be shooting for out of bootcamp.
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
28 Apr 2011 06:31 PM
You don't pick stations, you request 3 districts. That's all. So you can request a district that may have a large majority of small boats but that doesn't mean you won't end up on a polar roller in Seattle. So it is completely luck of the draw.
Sector NY, Staten Island
Griffon

--
20 May 2011 01:14 PM
Sorry to pick up a slightly aged thread, but could someone explain the striker program briefly? What does it mean to "strike for" a rating?
"If we Americans are to survive it will have to be because we choose and elect and defend to be first of all Americans; to present to the world one homogeneous and unbroken front, whether of white Americans or black ones or purple or blue or green." - William Faulkner
Basic Member
Basic Member
otnasirk

--
20 May 2011 02:41 PM
It's an "on the job" training.So instead of going to A school,you earn you qualifications to be a BM3 at your unit or something like that.That's all i know so far.I am sure someone has more details about the qualifications than i do
Jeepin_Coastie

--
20 May 2011 04:44 PM

This is how it was explained to me by a surfman. Striking is a program that has the same quals and requirements as A-School. To gain each qual you need to pass a written test, sometimes a practical and sometimes both to get the qualification. Not every day is going to be you doing thingss for your qualifications 'cause you're still at an active unit but i do believe you need to pass each qualification with in a time frame. Not every rate is strikable. I know you can strike BM, and MK. I'm sure there are moer that you can strike however those are the only two that i know of for 100% that you can strike in.      

Trusted Member
E

--
20 May 2011 07:23 PM
I was a BM Striker. Basically rather than going to the A school you complete all the "Sign offs" that you would do in A school. Some as simple as tie a knot and some can take some time to setup such as passing a dewatering pump between boats. You'll perform your normal duties, normal watches and the striker program is extra. When I actually decided to strike I had completed about half of the quals but before a BM1 will sign off on each of the tasks you have to perform and be knowledgeable in the task at hand. You also have to pass the BM3 EOC test and if it is like IT A school than there is no End of Course Test. You will also need to pass the DWO test and without some extra help it's a killer.

Some positives for striking are you get a more in depth, personal, one on one training for each task. You can take your time with each task, get additional help and soforth. Learning these things will also help you in day to day operations. You don't have to leave your unit to go temporarily to A school, come back to just leave again to you next unit. You can also fleet up if it's available into the BM3 billet at your unit.

Cons: Some BM1s might not care to actually check that you know the knowledge required for each task. Some information you may learn will be unit specific. I learned a ton of stuff about doing things on a 110, but if I was to go to a different unit it would all be confusing to me. You have to find a BM1 that actually wants to help you and you won't have to chase around to get a sign off . You have to be motivated since it's self paced it's up to you and oh i'll do that sign off tomorrow leads to next week leads to next month leads to you taking 12 months to strike when you could have gone to A school and almost had your name on the BM2 list. The supplemental list for BM3 is something that you have to wait out also. It's a list only seen on CG workstations and once you finish all your BM3 stuff you get added to this list where you wait and wait until you either get sent to a new unit as an SNBM or you make third at your current unit.

Policies could have changed but that's how it was about 6 months ago.
futurecoastie26

--
25 May 2011 05:29 AM
For those that have not heard, BM A-school is now confirmed as 14 weeks. There has been a curriculum change that tacked on 2 additional weeks to the training. There is nothing on the training website that states this yet, so be sure to contact your recruiter or education officer for details. There may be information on the CG Intranet, but I do not have access to that information.
Jeepin_Coastie

--
25 May 2011 04:57 PM
Anybody know how long the A-School waiting list is for BM?
Trooks

--
25 May 2011 05:03 PM
My recruiter told me 18-24 months.
Trusted Member
E

--
26 May 2011 10:00 PM
meeks1882

--
02 Jun 2011 01:33 PM
I was thinking about going towards a BM. What is a typical weekly schedule like as a BM? Hours? How many days? Also, how far away am I allowed to live from the station and still do this?
Trusted Member
E

--
02 Jun 2011 05:20 PM
there is no typical schedule like, each station, cutter, unit is different. There will be limits on how far you can live from your unit regardless of what you're striking or on the school list for or anything. If they need you they don't want you having to drive 2 hours to get to your unit.
bones101

--
27 Jun 2011 06:30 PM
Anybody know where I can find the list for required items to bring to BM A school? I can't find it on the uscg home website. My YN1 said it would be on there but I guess im blind.
Trusted Member
E

--
28 Jun 2011 05:12 PM
is this what you're looking for?
http://www.uscg.mil/HR/udc/requireduniforms.asp
bones101

--
30 Jun 2011 01:54 PM
That will work! Thanks!
joeyf327

--
02 Jul 2011 11:01 PM
Any idea what you'd be doing as law enforcement as a BM? Would you just patrol your area or what? Thanks!
Joseph Farrell US Coast Guard Auxiliary soon it'll be just US COAST GUARD
YourFavNonRate

--
04 Sep 2011 09:23 AM
Got a question about passing the DWO exam, not the re cert, does anyone know of any good study material for it as far as cd instructional videos or websites? Also I know you can take the course 054xx to meet the requirements but does anyone know of a one online or in the Los Angeles area? Thanks for any input, trying to get on that striker list.
Basic Member
Basic Member
otnasirk

--
05 Sep 2011 12:00 AM
My BM3 ordered my course material for striking last week.Wonder how long till i receive it
Trusted Member
E

--
05 Sep 2011 09:37 AM
yourfavnonrate...are you enlisted yet? If you are you would take the DWO test with your ESO
Otnasirk...10 days~. You can look at the soft copies on the learning portal though from a workstation
Basic Member
Basic Member
otnasirk

--
05 Sep 2011 05:58 PM
E,Hopefully when i get back from leave.....Any advice?Iam planning to finish in 6-12 months.
Trusted Member
E

--
05 Sep 2011 07:54 PM
Stay motivated and on track. I got stuck for a while just putting it off, 4 weeks of striking became 8 weeks and soon enough its 8 months later and i'm not too far from where I was. When you earned your sign off don't let them tell you "i'll sign it later". I had a bunch of those and then my BM1 transferred and never got the sign offs.
Striking should be fun learning your rate..if it's not then you should pause and think about why you are going into the rate. Don't let some of the harder or more complicated sign offs stop you. I would usually knock off an easy one or two while studying for a hard one.
Basic Member
Basic Member
otnasirk

--
05 Sep 2011 11:50 PM
I see.So,besides reading the materials,is there somebody that's going to teach you the application of what you're reading and getting signed off?
Trusted Member
E

--
06 Sep 2011 03:13 PM
Honestly, I read the material on my own, went and talked to my BM1 about what I learned, completed the task, got the sign off. Some stuff you just say "Hey boats can we talk about calculating time/speed/distance and they'll give you more than enough info.
Basic Member
Basic Member
otnasirk

--
07 Sep 2011 12:18 PM
Thanks E!i am looking forward to it.
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
CaptNick

--
09 Sep 2011 04:43 AM
I just got done striking, took me about 65 days to complete all my sign offs. Just need to take my DWO and EOCT. Any questions feel free to ask me. Its easy if you have BM's that are willing to help you and teach you thats the key! What I liked the most was learning various ways of doing things. Im very fortunate to work with 7 BM's (4 A-schoolers and 3 Strikers) that are very dedicated and great to work with; contrary to how people feel about BM's haha.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 8 << < 12345 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement