Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
BM-BOATSWAIN'S MATE
Last Post 05 Jun 2018 01:41 PM by CPORJM. 206 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 7 << < 12345 > >>
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
otnasirk

--
09 Sep 2011 09:37 AM
Congrats Captnick!Hopefully i can get all my BMs at my unit to work with me.If not,i will bug them till they do.LOL!
Can you message me your email address so i can ask some of my questions as i just got my course material yesterday Thanks!
Basic Member
Basic Member
USCGforMe

--
13 Sep 2011 08:51 PM
CaptNick,

Send me your email as well.

I'm about done with my sign-offs, just about to start studying for the DWO. I'd like to trade study tips if you've got any...

Thanks.
Trusted Member
E

--
14 Sep 2011 04:10 PM
woah woah......what happened to AST?!!?!?!?!?! aren't you at Ecity for airman program?
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
CaptNick

--
15 Sep 2011 02:28 PM
PM's sent...
meeks1882

--
17 Oct 2011 01:39 PM
Wanted to know if anyone knew what the current wait time was for BM A School or where you could point me to to find out?

Thanks!
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
17 Oct 2011 02:24 PM
Meeks, All the news you'll need can be found here... http://www.uscg.mil/psc/epm/docs/A-...olList.pdf

Currently that says 12-18 months.  You can see the dates of the next classes and see how many are on the list for each rate.    This can also be found in the FAQ section of this forum.
Sector NY, Staten Island
Bluefox

--
20 Nov 2011 06:59 PM
Posted By otnasirk on 25 Feb 2011 07:27 PM
Can BMs also be law enforcements as what the video said?

All Coast Guardmen, E-4 and above are, by law, are federal law enforcement officers have arrest authority. BM's do most of the boarding throughout the Coast Guard. If you want action and like to be in charge BM is the way to go.

ant197

--
01 Dec 2011 09:05 PM
Hello all,

So I am slated to be in BM "A" school Feb 13 and I wanted to ask a couple questions to all of you who have been.  What is lodging like?  Do they have any place there to store bikes?  I am an avid bike rider and would like to bring my bike for rides on the weekends when I do not have duty.  How many weekends a month do you have to stand duty?  My wife wants to know how often she will be able to see me.   Thanks for the info.
meeks1882

--
13 Dec 2011 12:51 PM
Wanted to know if reservist after going to BM A School could work on a cutter, or if it is just small boat stations?
USCG_DeJesus

--
13 Dec 2011 02:26 PM

As a boatswain's mate, is it possible to be apart of a MSST team? I know everyone keeps telling me more than any other rate they consist of ME's but I ran into a few people who said they knew of BM's on MSST teams. So I basically want to know, is there a rule that says BM's arent allowed on MSST teams? And what are some qualifications that you would need to be a part of an MSST team? (ex: reservist/active? Stations/cutters? Years at that specific station/cutter? Rates allowed?)

Basic Member
Basic Member
otnasirk

--
30 Dec 2011 04:09 PM
Hey E,
Im about a little close to more than half way through my sign offs. Just need to wait for the BMs to find a time to schedule the practical sign offs. I also need to study for my DWO. any tips on how to atudy? Thanks!
Basic Member
Basic Member
otnasirk

--
31 Dec 2011 11:38 AM
DeJesus- you can be in a MSST team as a BM. There's no rule on BMs not being on it. You just have to put it in your dream sheet.
Basic Member
Basic Member
otnasirk

--
06 Jan 2012 06:34 PM
Whats it like to be in BM A school and what are the chances of getting into the DOG after A school?
ant197

--
07 Jan 2012 02:42 PM
Otnasirk here is a great site to help you study for DWO exam.  I am not sure where I came across it but its great.  

On the left side of the page there is Rules of the Road Test there are 1100 questions on the rules of the road.  When you go though them keep track of the last question you did and next time around, put that number in the entry field and you will start from there.  Good luck
Basic Member
Basic Member
otnasirk

--
07 Jan 2012 08:13 PM
Thank you so much ant!i really appreciate it!
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bells

--
10 Jan 2012 10:19 PM
Memorize the navrules book. and the annexes. and all the little footnotes.

those tests are good, it'll expose you to a lot of the questions. Good Luck that test kicked my a** 4 times. I got a 68, 80, 84, 88 then a 94 my last and final time.

But literally sleep with the book, read it everyday, write out all the pages, be really familiar with any sentence that has the words "shall" or "may", white over red over white is a pilot vessel anchored (you'll get that question).

good luck sailor.
Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
CaptNick

--
19 Jan 2012 05:58 PM
If it makes you feel any better, the DWO Exam is probably one of the hardest tests a mariner can take...
Basic Member
Basic Member
otnasirk

--
29 Jan 2012 07:59 AM
Thanks captnick! I feel so much better. LOL!
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
CaptNick

--
29 Jan 2012 04:59 PM
I know people that failed it more that 4 times. Just study study study.
Basic Member
Basic Member
otnasirk

--
29 Jan 2012 05:12 PM
Yea I will. The best time for me to start is when we're underway again. inport takes too much of my energy since we're doing alot of cutter maintenance. I also know some guy who's been re taking that test for about 3 years now.any suggestion/technique to study?
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
CaptNick

--
29 Jan 2012 06:57 PM
boatswainsmate.net has some study guides. Read the nav rules book over and over and over. The better you know the rules, the easier it will be to apply to the questions. The questions are SITUATIONAL and HOW rules apply to each. Every question will have multiple answers but you need to find the best one for that particular situation.

I passed my first time but thats only because I've been a licensed captain for 5 years.
Trusted Member
E

--
29 Jan 2012 08:54 PM
http://www.navrules.net/ Some questions are word for word what's on the test. I cut up a paper in half and made two small boats and drove them as they were explained in the pictures and that helped me a lot.
Basic Member
Basic Member
otnasirk

--
29 Jan 2012 11:03 PM
Thank you all for the tips. I will be ready for my DWO test sometime around june
meeks1882

--
20 Feb 2012 07:23 AM
I was wondering if anyonr could help me with something.  I was told if you have gone through the training and receive your OUPV (6-Pack) license, then you can strike for BM and not need to go to A School.  Is this true?  And, if so, how long does it usually take to be cleared for a reservist?  Thanks for your help!
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
CaptNick

--
20 Feb 2012 07:39 AM
Posted By meeks1882 on 20 Feb 2012 08:23 AM
I was wondering if anyonr could help me with something.  I was told if you have gone through the training and receive your OUPV (6-Pack) license, then you can strike for BM and not need to go to A School.  Is this true?  And, if so, how long does it usually take to be cleared for a reservist?  Thanks for your help!
If your active duty, you have to strike or go to A-School. In the CG's eyes, having a captains license doesn't warrant being a BM. I've had my Master for 5 years and still had to strike BM. It was pretty easy because of my previous experience.

If your going Reserves, your license MAY get you into the DEPOT program, after which you come out as a BM3. I was given that option if I went reserves. Its pretty difficult because you will have to show proficiency in all aspects of being a BM3 so just having a license will not cut it. Also, reservists typically go straight to A-School after basic.

meeks1882

--
20 Feb 2012 07:58 AM
Thanks Nick! I don't have my license, but it was mentioned to me that if I did, that that would be a possible route I could try to persue. My recruiter told me that I would be going through DEPOT, just waiting to hear when at this current moment. I was also wondering after A school, how long I would have to wait to train to become a Coxswain or Heavy Weather Coxswain?  Where is the training for that and typically how long is it?
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
CaptNick

--
20 Feb 2012 02:35 PM
First off are you going active or reserves? What rate are you going for DEPOT?

Typical Small Boat Station BM3:

Crew Member (2 months)
Tactical Crew Member (1 month)
Boarding Team Member (1 month)
Coxswain (2 months)

Most stations require you to have all the above qualifications within 6 months of reporting. HX Coxswains are usually BM2's for the most part and require extensive additional training. Also you have to be at a designated HX station.

If your going reserves, it may take a year or two to get all of those qualifications because you simply wont be there enough.
meeks1882

--
20 Feb 2012 02:47 PM
I'm Going Reserves, somewhere on the NC coastline.  Hopefully, Wrightsville Beach or Ft. Macon/Atlantic Beach.  I live in Raleigh, so those are the 2 closest to me.  BM is what I am going for as long as there is a spot open.
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
CaptNick

--
20 Feb 2012 04:07 PM
Wait, so are you going DEPOT as a BM3 or are you going guaranteed BM A-School? They are totally different from one another. Im unclear of what your situation is exactly...
meeks1882

--
20 Feb 2012 04:26 PM
I'm going to DEPOT this Summer and come out as an E-3.  My recruiter said that between being done at DEPOT and a year I will go to BM A School.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 7 << < 12345 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement