Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
BM-BOATSWAIN'S MATE
Last Post 12 Sep 2019 01:04 PM by CPORJM. 213 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 4 of 8 << < 23456 > >>
Author Messages
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
CaptNick

--
20 Feb 2012 05:17 PM
I understand now.
ccarena

--
15 May 2012 07:16 PM
At BM A-school do you learn anything about search and rescue?
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bells

--
15 May 2012 07:19 PM
? You should, I struck but they learn all of the small boat stuff.

You are going to get the LE training when you are in a LE billet.
Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
Basic Member
Basic Member
otnasirk

--
08 Sep 2012 03:39 PM
I know this may sound stupid but how hard are the tests they give you? From DWO,EOCT and EPME.
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
CaptNick

--
08 Sep 2012 06:27 PM
EOCT isn't bad, DWO takes some people 4-6 times to pass.
Basic Member
Basic Member
otnasirk

--
08 Sep 2012 10:22 PM
Capt Nick- Roger that, i also heard that you can only fail the dwo in A school 3 times till they kick you out. How was your experience with the DWO (if you didnt strike BM)? Will they teach you well enough that they'll nail it to your brain so you can pass all the test? Especially DWO? Thanks again!
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
CaptNick

--
08 Sep 2012 10:44 PM
I struck and passed the first time. From what I heard from people that went to school, they spoon feed you the information and if you fail once your out. Not sure if its true or not.
Basic Member
Basic Member
Ljcalimano

--
19 Sep 2012 03:07 PM
Is the waiting time for BM A school the same time for the reserve component? Would I wait longer, the same time, shorter??
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
CaptNick

--
19 Sep 2012 03:57 PM
Wont wait as long. Probably go right after boot.
ccarena

--
28 Sep 2012 12:33 PM
Do you get boat crew qualified at A School (If you aren't already)?
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
CaptNick

--
04 Oct 2012 08:20 PM
No.
arizonecan

--
12 Dec 2012 05:57 PM
does a BM get to drive the cutter or is that a differnt rant?
Trusted Member
Cooch

--
12 Dec 2012 06:13 PM
BM's and Seaman both stand helm watch on cutters, yes.
You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
CaptNick

--
12 Dec 2012 08:52 PM
Not always a BM...

On the 270 I was on, it was strictly seaman that drove. On "optimally manned" cutters such as the buoy tender Im on now, our ET1, YN1, SK1, IT2 and HS1 all drive as much as I do. Its just another part of being a Junior Officer of the Deck.

And it's not as "exciting" as you may think. Its nothing like driving a small boat. Your just standing there for hours on end getting rudder commands from the Conning Officer.
arizonecan

--
13 Dec 2012 04:14 AM
so the little boats are more exciting to drive and be a part of your saying? and also as a BM id get to do that correct?
Trusted Member
Gears

--
13 Dec 2012 02:53 PM
so the little boats are more exciting to drive and be a part of your saying?

Not necessarily. You don't get to just point the bow and go. You have to plot a course and cover hundreds of other details before you even step on board a small boat.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bells

--
13 Dec 2012 03:44 PM
Boat briefs
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
CaptNick

--
13 Dec 2012 05:51 PM
Posted By arizonecan on 13 Dec 2012 05:14 AM
so the little boats are more exciting to drive and be a part of your saying? and also as a BM id get to do that correct?

Honestly speaking, 85% of your job will not be "exciting". For the several hours a week you may spend driving a small boat, theres 30-40hrs spent doing paperwork, maintenance or training. Don't be a BM thinking you will be out driving a small boat doing search and rescue every waking hour you are at work. It doesn't work like that. I suggest you DONT watch Coast Guard Florida. Otherwise you will get a misguided view of what we do. Same goes for Coast Guard Alaska.
Erika Corbeli

--
04 Jan 2013 05:56 PM
What do you while you wait for A school after graduating boot camp? Will the CG provide with something for you to do or will you just sit and wait?
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
04 Jan 2013 08:47 PM
Erika, ask a question once, get an answer, ask another question. Posting the same question multiple times in multiple areas is a waste of time. You would be far better served to just watch the one subject you post and wait for an answer. The answers won't really change in multiple areas, it just causes confusion if you are trying to compare answers. Thank you.
Sector NY, Staten Island
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
CSAYank

--
09 Jan 2013 06:46 PM
Heading out to Yorktown 4Feb for "A" School! Anyone else going to be there?
neens84

--
16 Jan 2013 06:42 AM
I had a questionCSA Yank how long have you been on the BM A school list and when did you get orders for the feb class? I am just curious becasuse husband is on the list and just trying to gage how long this could take lol TIA
CGNY2013

--
30 Jan 2013 02:32 PM
Is there a difference in security clearance needed in BM as compared to YN or ME in Reserves?
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream." C. S. Lewis
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bells

--
30 Jan 2013 05:29 PM
That info is on the top of the a-school list. Google: a-school coast guard list, its a pdf and you should be able to find what you are looking for.
CGNY2013

--
30 Jan 2013 05:48 PM
Yes I did that and under "Security Clearance" they both list NA. However, I have seen information outdated on the CG website so I just wanted to double check with people on the forum who may know the latest up to date info.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream." C. S. Lewis
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bells

--
30 Jan 2013 08:34 PM
No worries, the Aschool list is updated monthly so remains pretty up-to-date. They reference the manuals they use for the information also.
CGNY2013

--
30 Jan 2013 08:40 PM
neens84

--
18 Feb 2013 08:13 AM
Hello My husband in on the BM A school list and went from 177 to 131 46 spots this month and had been doing that a lot before the christmas break too so my question is 1: do you think it will continue to move that fast 
2: so if it did move that fast would he be leaving for school in approximatley 3 months and when would he usually get orders to go? 
thanks for any info or experiance you have with this list! lol
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bells

--
18 Feb 2013 09:06 AM
The reason why it moved 40 something spots is because there are two classes in this next march. I would average it out at 20 people a month it should be moving. He should get orders at least 30 days out.

So your estimate would be more like 5-6 months.

And looking at the class schedules, yes it should continue to move that way, but if the paygrade becomes 100% full then it would stop. We havn't had a force notes come out in a few months so I do not know how full it is but it was in the 90's before.
Kryb

--
07 May 2013 06:23 PM
I've been monitoring the vacancies list for about a month now and there seems to be ZERO vacancies ever for BM reserves, especially in my area: PA, NY, NJ, MD, etc. Mid Atlantic Coast. So my question is pretty simple, how often to such billets actually open?
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 4 of 8 << < 23456 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement