Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
BM-BOATSWAIN'S MATE
Last Post 12 Sep 2019 01:04 PM by CPORJM. 213 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 5 of 8 << < 34567 > >>
Author Messages
Zguard1258

--
10 May 2013 09:37 AM
Upon Completion of A School/Striking Do you get to put down a Dream Sheet of Places you want or are you assigned to where ever The CG needs BM's
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bells

--
10 May 2013 09:43 AM
you will be given a list to choose from, you will rank them, then you will be placed where the CG wants, regardless of striking or A-school
Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
neens84

--
19 May 2013 07:22 AM
Was wondering if anyone was on BM A school list and receive orders recently just wondering what number you were when receiving orders and what class??! My husband is 34 and there is 17 holds I see they are taking 18 people for August class I so hope he will be int that class but I hear through the grape vine they started cutting orders for aug sept oct classes already so confused help! Lol
lubbic11

--
24 Jul 2013 04:05 PM
I just signed up for the reserves, have my school date set for the fall through the winter, and had a couple of off duty type of questions about the BM A-school in Yorktown VA.

As far as getting there, can I drive my personal car and keep it on station/base (forgive me I don't know the lingo)?

What is the schedule like, M-F with weekends off? If so, how many times would I have to work a weekend out of the 14 weeks?

What is the living situation? Roommates? Barracks?

Im flexible for whatever is thrown at me, but these are a couple things I wonder about and I appreciate the help.
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
24 Jul 2013 07:59 PM
You can drive and keep your car on base. You'll probably want it... I don't really know which base is more in the middle of nothing but the 2 main training centers, Yorktown & Petaluma can get pretty boring without a vehicle.

You will have some weekends completely off, you will have duty some weekends. But you will not be stuck there 24/7 on every weekend.

It is barracks but, if I remember correctly and someone will confirm or correct, it is comfortable and you have some small amenities. But it isn't uncomfortable at all.

If you have any other questions, throw them out and we'll do our best to help.
Sector NY, Staten Island
lubbic11

--
25 Jul 2013 10:05 AM
Thanks Old Guard. Im from Chicago and was curious how it would work because I have my gfriend and others already asking if they could come out for the weekend to visit. Ive already explained work comes first, but Ill figure the details out when I get there. I appreciate the help. Between my awesome recruiter and this forum, most of my questions are answered. Im more informed/prepared for reserves/DEPOT/BM school then I was for the Army. I was thrown to the wolves for that whole experience, and now Im trying to do it right with the Coast Guard. Thanks again
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
25 Jul 2013 01:05 PM
When my son was in A school his fiance flew out to California for Memorial Day weekend. They had a great time in San Fran, Sonoma wine country, just exploring that whole area. So yes, if timed right your girlfriend could visit you.
Sector NY, Staten Island
lubbic11

--
25 Jul 2013 02:32 PM
That's good to hear. While I got the forum....where and what's the best things to do around Yorktown VA during off time?
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
25 Jul 2013 03:31 PM
Leave! LOL Actually, if you like history... Yorktown has a lot. Colonial Williamsburg isn't very far, Norfolk which is a dump but not far, Virginia Beach can be fun - even in the wintertime, I prefer the beach in the winter. There are things around there. But it isn't like living in Chicago where you hop on the El and get anywhere and everything can be found in one neighborhood. You need to actually have transportation and a place to go... If that makes sense.
Sector NY, Staten Island
lubbic11

--
25 Jul 2013 04:56 PM
Haha, I guess that's why it is important to bring a car. I'll be there for 14wks so Ill have time to check it out. Thanks
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
25 Jul 2013 07:14 PM
I live just north of you in Beloit Wisconsin. I know nothing, there is a while lot of nothing around here. Lol
Sector NY, Staten Island
uscgAux01

--
14 Apr 2014 05:35 PM
Do you need sea time (on a cutter or otherwise) to advance to BM2 and BM1?

For example, if someone was interested in doing a career at a small boat station (however unlikely it may be), is it possible to get to BM1, to heavy weather coxswain, etc. without having sea time?

Thank you.
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bells

--
14 Apr 2014 05:54 PM
You need a year of unrated/rated sea time to get to BM1 and you need a year of rated sea time to get to chief. Heavy weather coxn is a qualification really any competent and motivated person at a heavy weather station or surf station can get. It's not relevent to making rank.

Don't count on it though (going without seatime). You need OIC afloat and ashore to stay in as a Chief or higher so without seatime that's not going to happen. The only way to alleviate the need for sea time for Advancement purposes to be a surfman which is a small select few boatswain mates in billets designated for surfman at the few surf stations that we have. But again, to not have seatime is going to hurt you. You get awarded seatime points for advancing when competing for the servicewide and without it it's hard to compete to make rank. It's also a lot of what's on end of course tests and SWE tests, knowledge from cutters. Some you'll get from studying and some would be second nature if you've done it or the collateral before.

A lot of this is premature things to think about, but it's all reasons why you would want sea time. Along with that it's kind of expected as a boatswains mate and you won't really be able to relate in that sense with peers that have done it.
uscgAux01

--
14 Apr 2014 06:49 PM
Thanks. Do you mean that being a surfman or beginning training toward that does not require sea time?

Generally, can you use merchant mariner sea time as uscg sea time points?
Trusted Member
Gears

--
14 Apr 2014 07:32 PM
Training to be a surfman requires you to be assigned to a surf unit, they're are only a few in the CG, which Bells already covered.

Merchant Marine sea time won't count toward USCG sea time.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
uscgAux01

--
21 Apr 2014 01:27 AM
if someone gets assigned a small boat station, a heavy weather or surf sta. out of boot camp, what's the average time period at that assignment, and what determines the time period of the assignment?
3yrs?

Same question but just for anytime other time it's assigned.

Thanks

Trusted Member
Gears

--
21 Apr 2014 05:03 AM
Stations are typically 4 year tours. As a non-rate you'd only be there until you got orders to A school.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
uscgAux01

--
21 Apr 2014 09:18 PM
Thank you.

After you finished A school could you be sent back to the same small boat station?
(e.g., if you or the station chief requested it in case you wanted the specific training there such as heavy weather)

If you didn't put yourself on A school list but were striking a rate (like BM), would you stay at the station for the full 3 years?

Since active duty contracts are 4 years, would they send you somewhere else for the last year?
Or could you stay at that same assignment if requested and OK'd by the station chief?
Trusted Member
Gears

--
22 Apr 2014 04:49 AM
I've only seen 1 case of an individual going back to their unit after A school. It had to be approved on several levels above the CO.

If a person strikes they could stay at the unit as a 3rd, but that depends on needs of the service. The only way you can stay at a unit for 4 years is out you're in a 4 year billet. Stations are 4 year tours. If you get assigned to a cutter it's a 3 year tour.
Basic Member
Basic Member
EvenKeel

--
22 Apr 2014 08:57 AM
I'm told if I get stationed aboard a cutter (I sure hope I do) I'll live aboard for the first year or so. I'm wondering how many personal items I can bring aboard with me? I'm guessing a small laptop would be fine? I'm an avid backpacker but I'm guessing my backpack would have to stay in storage?

I suppose I'll learn about all this when I get to my first station, but I'm just wondering.
"You can't run from the wind. You trim your sails, face the music, and keep going." - Captain Sheldon, White Squall
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
22 Apr 2014 09:30 AM
Not sure why this question is in the BM thread since it is sort of just a general question. You can bring a laptop, ipods/ipads, kindle's, whatever you might want to bring within reason. Some people bring their bikes, obviously not fitting in their rack. There are places on the ship that can stow some personal items. My son and a few others had their guitars on board. They would leave them in the paint locker or somewhere and it would be safe. I know people that bring surfboards. Now when you say backpack... are you a sherpa leading an expedition up Everest or just a backpack for hiking? I don't mean a Dora the Explorer type backpack either, something reasonable for a grown man/woman to carry while doing a fairly good hike. You would have space for that. Best to wait until you get to your ship, figure out what the extra storage spaces look like but I wouldn't worry about NOT being able to take it.

My son actually has a flat screen tv in his rack as do a few others in Operational berthing. They play XBox with each other while underway but never have to leave their rack if they aren't working. LOL
Sector NY, Staten Island
Trusted Member
Gears

--
22 Apr 2014 10:23 AM
Living on board a cutter for a year is only feasible if you're on a larger cutter. Space on the 87's and 154's is very limited, living on board would get really old, really fast. There was more space on the 225' with a cargo hold and such to store stuff.
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bells

--
22 Apr 2014 08:18 PM
If you strike BM, you will be contacted by a detailer with a list of picks. There probably won't be surf stations or heavy weather stations in the list however because the list is usually a left over list from a transfer season. If you stay at the unit and do a complete tour then at the transfer season that you are designated to rotate you will put in an e-resume early because they solicit for surf stations before the normal transfer season. You will need a command endorsement to compete.

For a school it's the samw thing. You get a list of picks and then as a class you compete for them. Usually surf stations aren't on the list.

Your command can work for you to get there but you have to be tour complete and show an interest to go.
uscgAux01

--
04 May 2014 11:24 PM
Do you mean you'll be contacted by a detailer at the end of your first assignment (in which you strike BM)?

What months (are what is) a transfer season?
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
05 May 2014 05:59 AM
Typically people will transfer in the summer. SO kids don't have to move mid-school year. But there is no "carved in stone" transfer time.
Sector NY, Staten Island
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bells

--
05 May 2014 08:30 PM
nah,

use this hypothedical timeline. Say you are a nonrate at a unit. You strike BM. It took you a year. At this time it is March. A detailer will contact you because your name is now on the advancement list to make BM3. The detailer will decide if he wants you to tranfer or fleet up into a BM3 position. If there is a BM3 position open at your unit you are probably going to stay there until your original tour date was over (3-4 years total). If this happens then in the summer that your tour was supposed to be over, you are tour complete, so you get to compete with the rest of your BM3 commradres in picking places to transfer too. If you are at a station you will more or less have close to the last pick along with 2/3rds of the BM3s tranfering that year. If you are on cutter when this happens you will be in the upper 1/3 of the list and get to pick more or less first.

Now say the detailer didnt fleet you up and is telling you, SN Bob, you have to pick from these 10 places. Put them in order and get back to me in 20 minutes. and then you say, aye aye bosn. You will then, get orders cut for that place, and you will transfer there, most likely, in the summer, but maybe not if it was a critical fill. From there you will hopefully make BM2 one day and the cycle continues as you will transfer every 2-3-4 years.

Surf Stations are tough. They have a good ole boy thing going on. You need someone to be your sea daddy and have your back. If I ever get my own 47 coxn qual like hopefully in 30ish days I might one day go to one. But its a "sexy job", its not as fun as it sounds. Being on a 47' in wicked seas gets kind of repetitive.
Basic Member
Basic Member
aztecmatt

--
16 May 2014 10:42 AM
Hello, my name is Matt and I'm pretty new here, but I've learned a lot from checking things out for the last couple of years. I finally made the jump and called the recruiter and now I'm just waiting to hear back and set up my ASVAB. Anyways, I have some questions that I couldn't really find the answers to in the forum. So I'm planning to enlist and apply to OCS at the same time. I am very interested in the BM rate and everything that it entails.

What are some day to day duties as a BM when not underway? Do BMs still get to go on cutters, and what do they do when on a cutter? I'm looking for a rate that gets me on and around small boats and on the water as much as possible.

Does a BM rate look good when applying to OCS as well because of it's leadership and seamanship knowledge?

With my degree, I have the opportunity to enter as E-3, so I can apply for A school when I go to BC, right?

It looks like a 6-9 month wait right now, why so short for such a good rate?

Thanks!
Trusted Member
Gears

--
16 May 2014 12:40 PM
so I can apply for A school when I go to BC, right?

No, you still have to wait 4 months after you graduate to put your name on an A school list.
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bells

--
16 May 2014 12:47 PM
Right now we are kicking a lot of people out right now that's why it's a quicker wait. People that get accepted to OCS are from all ratings you just have to show maturity and that you are a leader and then impress the board. Get involved in a lot of colatoral duties. There's a lot of pressure on BMs. Once you get in you'll be able to see the ratings.
Champman555

--
16 May 2014 01:10 PM
Thinking about going BM can anyone inform me if there is a high chance of getting a small boat station out of a-school? All my BM's on my cutter seem to think so. I'm between ME and BM but a lot of petty officers have told me if I want to do LE BM is a better route to go not to mention the short wait for a-school.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 5 of 8 << < 34567 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement