Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
GM-GUNNERS MATE
Last Post 21 Jul 2016 12:26 PM by Patriot75. 47 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
20 Sep 2012 08:12 AM
Absolutely nothing. Think of the people on the list, if you were at number 25 and there was some magical way to bounce myself ahead of you to number 3. Wouldn't you be upset? Everyone has had to wait, you will as well.
Sector NY, Staten Island
Basic Member
Basic Member
MasterGuns2077

--
22 Sep 2012 01:32 PM
There's always Bahrain...it won't send you straight to A school after your tour over there, as many think, but it will shorten the wait quite a bit once you're back.
Other than that, short of a big influx of money for the GM rate or a bunch of people bailing on the list, you're gonna be waiting a while.
Your passion for what you do will set you free.
GM1USCG_RET

--
12 Nov 2012 08:07 AM
Retired GM just joined the board. 22 years of service. Small Arms Instructor for 19 years. Duty aboard two 270' WMEC's (as a GM), a NESU/WAT, a Group, MSO and 3 District Armories, PSU during Desert Storm and others before going to GM "A" School in 1986.
Basic Member
Basic Member
Kchan

--
13 Nov 2012 05:10 PM
Oh GM1USCG_RET How did you become a small arms instructor? This is what I would like to do!
GM1USCG_RET

--
13 Nov 2012 07:53 PM
What rating are you now?  You can find the requirements to go to FAI (now they are called FireArms Instructors, not SAI anymore) on the TRACEN Yorktown web site.  Look for Engineering & Weapons School, then Gunners Mate Schools... then "C" schools and you should see it there.  If I was on my computer instead of my Kindle Fire, I would find the school, and insert a hyperlink here.  If I can remember to check this page the next time I'm near a computer, I will try to remember to do that.
Basic Member
Basic Member
Kchan

--
14 Nov 2012 02:27 AM
My shipdate is next month actually so I will be a nonrate for a long while. Can other ratings be firearms instructor? Were you a firearms instructor outside of the CG too?
GM1USCG_RET

--
14 Nov 2012 09:40 AM
I just checked the TRACEN Yorktown Website and found that SAI school is no longer accessible to non-AD personnel.  When I went to SAI school (in 1986), the following were requirements as I remember:

-  Qualify sharpshooter on Basic Rifle and Basic Pistol courses.
-  Qualify with the Shotgun
-  If an Ordnance rating (Gunners Mate or Fire Controlman (now ET-weapons), you could be an E4 to go to SAI school.  If you were another rating, you had to be an E5.
-  Almost any rate can be an SAI (back then...  this may have changed).
     There was a Cook, a Telephone Technician, a Mechanical Technician (MK) and several Boatswains Mates in my class.  There were more Gunners Mates than any others.
-  Command Recommendation / Need.  Your command must have an open billet or have a demonstrated need for an SAI in your area.  Keep in mind, when you are an SAI, you are NOT the personal SAI for your UNIT.  You are now a DISTRICT Asset.  I believe Districts are now called Sectors or something else.  Maybe Groups are now Sectors...  I don't know...

When I went, I had gone to GM "A" School then been assigned to TRACEN CAPE MAY as a range instructor.  Back then, recruits shot real pistols and rifles.  We also provided training for all local cutters and small boat stations within an hour's drive from Cape May.  Some units came farther if they needed to get a few people qualified to go to a school or deployment on short notice.  I was not an instructor for anyone else but the Coast Guard.  On my own time, I did teach friends, family and others how to shoot a few times, but not for pay.  I had several friends recommend I get NRA certification so I could teach outside the CG, but I never did.  I guess I still could, but my current health prevents that.  

Don't worry about being a non-rate for a while.  Waiting for your school will be well-worth the wait.  You will learn a lot about the CG as a non-rate.  I would recommend you ask for a cutter after boot camp.  The bigger, the better.  White is preferable to Red or Black, but those missions are fun, too.  White ones go more places and have more chances of doing stuff you like.  If you're still waiting for school after the end of your sea tour, see if you can get a small boat station.  I had fun there, too.

Any other questions, I'm here...

Mike
Nikkk

--
20 Sep 2013 04:43 PM
Do GM's work on small boats also? Like search and rescue calls, patrols, etc..?
Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
CPORJM

--
20 Sep 2013 10:01 PM
No.  If you're a GM at a STA, you'll be independent duty, running the armory.
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
Edinson C

--
04 Feb 2014 09:10 PM
So GMs arent part of boarding teams and dont have anything to do with law enforcment ?
Trusted Member
Gears

--
04 Feb 2014 09:45 PM
GMs can be BO/BTMs, it just depends on the unit.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
Fiddler

--
14 Mar 2015 10:59 PM
Are there ever GM billets on Icebreakers?

I've done pretty extensive searching throughout this forum as well as military.com but I've never actually been able to find something on that. It seems unlikely due to the nature of the missions they undertake but I was just hoping for a solid answer.
Just4Kixs

--
12 Jun 2015 12:41 AM
Posted By Fiddler on 14 Mar 2015 10:59 PM
Are there ever GM billets on Icebreakers?

I've done pretty extensive searching throughout this forum as well as military.com but I've never actually been able to find something on that. It seems unlikely due to the nature of the missions they undertake but I was just hoping for a solid answer.

That's something I would like to know too... I get the feeling that there aren't any. I saw a video on YouTube about ice breakers and there weren't any mention of gunners mate in the staff section.  I'd like to know if there are GMs on ice breakers though too. Would love to be on an ice breaker!
Schregkl07

--
27 Aug 2015 08:27 PM
Any GM's in the reserves? Can you tell me what your experience is in the reserves as a GM? A recruiter told me if I was reserves I would be shore side not a ship so pretty much my duties would include issuing weapons out of the armor, so pretty much not very exciting.
Schregkl07

--
28 Aug 2015 06:37 PM
What is your job now in the CG? I am in Portland and thinking about the CGR. I was interested in GM as well but a recruiter said GM reserve side would mainly just issue out weapons out of the armory.
Schregkl07

--
28 Aug 2015 06:42 PM
I thought GM's manned the shot guns on the small CG boats that go up and down the rivers, guess not I was told GM in the Reserves is not very exciting compared to ship side. Mainly a GM in the Reserve would issue weapons out of the Armory. If I did go Reserves I would drill in Portland(where I live) or Seattle (if I choose/if a billet is open).
Trusted Member
Gears

--
07 Sep 2015 06:29 PM
I thought GM's manned the shot guns on the small CG boats that go up and down the rivers, guess not

Those are mostly going to be MKs, BMs, and nonrates assigned to Small Boat Stations.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
Patriot75

--
21 Jul 2016 12:26 PM
Are there any GM's on the board that are currently in that can talk about their career? Also are the billets for lower class more afloat beacuse they are less desired or is it that most ashore is more independent duty? thanks!
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement