Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
EM-ELECTRICIANS MATE
Last Post 26 Nov 2017 05:21 PM by Joslen15. 25 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Trusted Member / Administrator
chukles

--
09 Jan 2010 01:59 AM
    ELECTRICIAN'S MATE (EM)

To view this video, click here.

EMs are responsible for installation, maintenance, repair, and management of sophisticated electrical and electronic equipment. These include:

Electrical power generation
    Fractional and integral horsepower motor
    Cutter propulsion plant control
    Interior communication systems, electronic navigation equipment and gyrocompass equipment
    Types of Duty:

Afloat units are the EMs primary focus at 42%. All cutters 110' and larger have EMs working aboard, as well as some smaller cutters. These cutters are stationed throughout the world, including Alaska, Guam, and Puerto Rico. On some cutters, the EM is the Engineering Petty Officer (EPO), and while acting in this capacity is responsible for all engineering systems aboard the cutter, as well as supervising the Engineering Department. EMs also have a variety of cutter support assignments including Maintenance and Logistics Commands (MLC), Integrated Support Commands (ISC), and Engineering Support Units (ESU). EMs work both in and out of rate at Groups, Stations, Aids to Navigation Teams (ANT), LORAN Stations, Air Stations, and Marine Safety Offices (MSO).

Training Available:

Training opportunities for EMs are outstanding. Being an Electrician's Mate requires a vast knowledge of electrical theory along with the practical hands-on skills required to manage, repair, maintain, calibrate, and install all kinds of electrical and electronic equipment. EM 'A' School is one of the most intensive in the Coast Guard. Located in Yorktown VA, personnel will learn about mathematics, physics, electrical circuit analysis, and test equipment. They will be well versed in motor, generator and transformer principles, theory and application, electrical and electronic component theory, and circuit applications. After 'A' School, most graduates enter the fleet where their newly learned skills can be applied. Class 'C' Schools abound and range from courses in Advanced Analog Electronics, Advanced Digital Electronics, Programmable Logic Controllers, Fiber Optics, and Gyrocompass. Numerous Cutter-specific Main Propulsion Control and Monitoring Systems (MPCMS) courses are available. During a career, an EM can expect to receive training in electronics, management, and leadership. At mid-career, high-performing EMs may compete for selection to the Advanced Computer, Engineering, and Technology (ACET) education program, which provides two years, full-time, paid-for college for the member to obtain an Associate's or Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Technology.

Qualifications:

To be an EM, you should have an interest in electrical, electronic, mechanical, and pneumatic systems, an aptitude for detailed work, and an above-average ability in solving mathematical problems. Since electricity itself is best never seen, the ability to visualize the theoretical working of the systems is a prime prerequisite. An EM must have normal color vision. Practical experience or prior training in electrical or electronic repair is helpful, but not required.

Related Civilian Jobs:

Industrial Plant Technician
    Generating Plant Technician
    Industrial Electrician
    Shipyard Electrician
    Electrical Field Service Technician
    Power and Instrumentation Technician
    Facilities Engineering Technician, Electrical Maintenance Technician

Vr,
    Chuck

These poor, plain men, dwellers upon the lonely sands of Hatteras, took their lives in their hands, and, at the most imminent risk crossed the most tumultuous sea…and all for what? That others might live to see home and friends. — Annual Report of the U.S. Life- Saving Service, 1885

Recruiting Website

Read here for answers to the most often asked questions about joining the Coast Guard!

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Civ2Coastie

--
    17 Aug 2010 06:19 PM
    I clicked to watch the video, which was interesting enough. I'm considering this career path. . . But the comments below the video, there are only 3, are extremely troubling. Anyone have any experience as an EM??
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    17 Aug 2010 08:09 PM
    Yeah, lots of people have. They just don't necessarily post on this site. What do you want to know? I might be able to contact some EMs.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Civ2Coastie

--
    18 Aug 2010 01:47 PM
    I want to know if they felt A-School properly prepared them for their job?
    How do they like the job?
    How is duty on a cutter? What is an average day like as an EM on a cutter?

Thanks, in advance. If you could get ahold of an EM to ask them these questions that would be extremely informative!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    18 Aug 2010 04:52 PM
    I'll see what I can do, I'm gonna be away from my unit for a few weeks. A-School does prepare you for the basics of your job. Your unit will train on the specifics. You have nothing to worry about.

The rest will take some time.

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Guardians_Girl

--
    12 Jan 2011 09:50 AM
    My BF will be attending "A" School April 11th and I was wondering if new graduates are usually placed on a cutter? Or if they sometimes have land positions for newbies.

At the time he accepted the contract, they said EMs were "Critical Rating" positions, but I don't think they are anymore.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    otnasirk

--
    02 Mar 2011 12:13 PM
    How long is EM's A school?
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    02 Mar 2011 03:29 PM
    19 weeks long, Yorktown, Va. You can google it.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    uberchris

--
    09 Mar 2011 06:49 PM
    well, after almost 2 years on the AMT list, and my command going to bat for me arguing with all the medical people about certain policies that are in place, and the lack of available information regarding those policies, i have been permanently DQed from coast guard aviation.

lucky for me, im goin to EM a school on june 20th. no more waiting as a non rate!

sucks, but its plan B and im gonna make the best of it
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    09 Mar 2011 07:39 PM
    Chris,

I'm sorry you got DQ'ed but at least now you have the answer and like you said you can move on and do great as an EM! Congratulations on the school orders.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    uberchris

--
    10 Mar 2011 07:53 PM
    amen macie. hope you are well =)
    camjohnson89

--
    06 Oct 2011 04:03 AM
    I'm considering this rate for my fate. Any EM's out there that have any more info regarding this rate?
    smashinglyinsane

--
    07 Apr 2012 11:01 AM
    Anyone have information on the practical differences between EM and ET?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    07 Apr 2012 11:16 AM
    EM's work in te engineering spaces, fixing the electrical components throughout the ship (wiring, power supplies). ETs service the electronics throughout the ship such as circuit boards for the radars, communications systems, etc. They have some similarities, such as basic electrical theory, but they are vastly different jobs.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    smashinglyinsane

--
    07 Apr 2012 10:19 PM
    Thank you, Cooch. That was a very succinct answer and exactly what I was looking for.
    lwaynem84

--
    09 Sep 2013 08:43 AM
    I'm considering switching from the BM list to the EM list.  The only big concern I have is that in a rating description that I read, they said that EMs should have better than average math skills.  Math is not my strong suit and I would hate to wait on the list only to fail out of the school because I had too much trouble with the math.  Could someone give me an idea of what kind of math I should expect to deal with as an EM?  Particularly in "A" School.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    uberchris

--
    28 Oct 2014 03:44 PM
    nothing more than basic algebra, and thats just during A school and during your C schools for advanced circuit theory. not ONCE in my three years as an EM3 did i have to use math to do my job. youre going to be burying your head into technical manuals and reading schematics more than anything else, and you get more proficient at that as time flies. if you can pass a college elementary algebra class, you can be successful at A school and get rated.

also, of all the rates, EM can set you up for post-military success. i just separated because i am seeking electrician work in the civilian world, and if i get hooked up with either of the 2 jobs ive just applied for, im going to be sitting REAL pretty financially, its hard work, but i like it like that.

good luck to you.
    coastie1212

--
    16 Aug 2015 12:57 PM
    Do EMs ever get stationed at small boat stations?
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    16 Aug 2015 01:42 PM
    Yes, we have one. You'll need to go tdy at some point to get signoffs but other than that he is a boat engineer like the MKs and stands duty with us
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    coastie1212

--
    16 Aug 2015 02:09 PM
    is there anyway to go to a small boat station straight out of a school? what kind of billets do EM3s usually get sent to?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    zachw88

--
    16 Aug 2015 03:06 PM
    No. EM3's will go to larger cutters, ESD's at sectors and such.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    rfail1988

--
    28 Aug 2015 05:51 PM
    to add to that, the smallest cutters that have EM3s billeted are FRCs (154'). But I wouldn't count on that straight out of A school, since there are far more EM3 billets on bigger cutters and land billets at the moment. As far as I know, we only have MAYBE 18 FRCs commissioned so far, and there is only one EM3 billet on each of those.
    USCGSouthEast

--
    13 Sep 2015 03:08 PM
    Advancement opportunities?
    USCGSouthEast

--
    20 Oct 2015 05:10 PM
    Where should I request to be? I want to be helpful and on a cutter...
    Sparky1790

--
    13 Mar 2016 10:01 AM
    Actually, yes, although I've only seen it once. I'm an EM2 at a small boat station and my billet is being filled by an EM3 straight from A school.
    Joslen15

--
    26 Nov 2017 05:21 PM
    Does being EM translate well to working avionics in the civilian world?
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement