Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
ET-ELECTRONICS TECHNICIAN
Last Post 30 Sep 2014 06:52 PM by rfail1988. 46 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
rfail1988

--
29 Jan 2013 06:41 AM
A school is designed to train anyone to do anything with no experience whatsoever. They spoon-feed you all the the information from the most basic fundamentals.

As for advancement outlook, it looks like ET3 is closing up a little bit. The last A school list reduced their projected active duty seats by over half (from 12 to 5 per class). However it's still a shorter wait than HS or AMT for example. IT has closed up HARD lately. Looks like they are projecting only 1 or 2 AD seats per A school class so they are currently projecting over a 2 year wait so far.
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
magmam

--
29 Jan 2013 11:33 AM
Lamp-other then hooking up xbox or something similiar he had no experience with electronics. In reality he is learning much more from the guys he works with then from class...that was really basic.....
thelamp

--
29 Jan 2013 11:36 AM
Great! Good feedback. Thank you! And thanks for info on the advancement outlook, rfail.
nffitz

--
31 Jan 2013 08:23 AM
A few words of encouragement: I joined the USCG in Oct 1958. I went to ET school in Groton CT. At that time it was a 30 week course consisting of six 5 week courses, from Basic electronics, Receivers, Transmitters, LORAN, and finally RADAR. I graduated in Sept 1959. When I upgraded to ET2, I received orders to report back to ET school as an instructor. I started teaching math (algebra $ trig - focused on electronics). Then taught RADAR theory and Lab. Then when I upgraded to ET! I had an opportunity to teach Advanced ET School. There were some times when I wished I was somewhere else, BUT, 99% of the time things were good. I never planed to make the CG a career, but some people do and that's OK. I got out of the CG in Oct 1962. I have been in electronics ever since. I worked for a while at a local radio station (WPOP Hartford CT) as a transmitter engineer, and then 25 years in industry as an electronics design engineer. I retired as few years ago. I'm 76 years old now, and I still enjoy working with microcontrollers (PIC, Arduinos, etc). It has been a good life for me, and I'm sure it will be the same for you. So... stick with it, you will be glad you did !!
thelamp

--
03 Feb 2013 06:49 PM
Thanks, nffitz, good insight. That's the attitude I'm trying to have going into it!
Basic Member
Basic Member
rfail1988

--
03 Mar 2013 02:29 PM
I'll ask this here since nobody on my boat went to Petaluma for A school:

if my wife gets pregnant soon and I am in A school with her since it's a PCS-school... what are the chances that I'll be able to be with her at the hospital for delivery and birth? and what about the 10 day paternity leave that is normally granted? Would they grant me any of that time off or would they say no since it might cause me to get too far behindl?
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
03 Mar 2013 05:31 PM
In my son's A school one of his shipmates wives was due. He actually went home when the sure safe arrived. He was gone for a week. He had to catch himself up but his shipmates helped him and it was not an issue. All things can be different based on class and where you are in the timing if the school. Nothing would be guaranteed if course. But since she will be with you, it will probably be easy to get the delivery day off. The following days, that would be a lot more school discretion.
USCGC Midgett
CoastieOnceAgain

--
07 May 2013 04:57 PM
Worst case scenario, they would put you in the base ET shop and you would help them with various projects until the following class arrives, then you'd be placed with them.
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
magmam

--
07 May 2013 08:34 PM
CoastieOnceAgain-I see you are coming back in to the reserves. Since you were at ET 2 when you left I am curious if you found a civilian job where you used any of the skills you learned in the CG?
CoastieOnceAgain

--
08 May 2013 12:12 AM
Magmam,

I got hired at the civilian contractor shop on base even before my enlistment was up.  The pay was excellent, but we got laid off in 2011 because the CG needed a place to put all the LORAN (long range navigation) guys.  Finding work has been hit and miss, but the real challenge was getting certs for everything.  I didn't take advantage of the free certs while I was first in (cisco, FCC, etc) and had to pay for those on my own.  But to really answer your question, I still use what I learned in the CG in my work now.  I'm in contract with the State of California and the department I'm in is pretty similar to what my old shop on the Morgenthau was.
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
magmam

--
08 May 2013 02:34 PM
thanks for info
Basic Member
Basic Member
rfail1988

--
12 Jul 2013 08:14 PM
Anyone know if I went to a cutter out of A school, and coming from a cutter pre-A-school, would I get a sea pay kicker? I know since ET school is a PCS it may not happen... is A school an exception or would I have to start from scratch toward my kicker after A school?
ThorTronics

--
25 Jul 2013 03:55 PM

Being an ET Ruled! I was on a 378 and saw the world. Got out and hustled myself into a great job. GI Bill pays for your school when you get out too. ET-A school is tough though.
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
magmam

--
25 Jul 2013 04:11 PM
Hi THor...what kind of job did you land? Was it related to your training?
mufifnman51432

--
16 Sep 2014 08:42 AM
How many billets are underway vs afloat?
Mr_Wolfin8or

--
18 Sep 2014 05:12 AM
Would anyone frown upon using leather luster on the toe of my new boots for A-school? Just want them to look super sharp. Will this be ok? Thanks in advance.
Basic Member
Basic Member
rfail1988

--
30 Sep 2014 06:52 PM
Go for it. it is not frowned upon as it is within regs. but you know hoe leather luster damages boots...

but you will smoke those weekly inspections... cheater
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement