Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
MK-MACHINERY TECHNICIAN
Last Post 10 Jun 2014 04:49 PM by dbug30. 77 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 3123 > >>
Author Messages
Trusted Member / Administrator
chukles

--
10 Jan 2010 12:06 AM
    MACHINERY TECHNICIAN (MK)

To view a video of this rate, click here.

As one of the Coast Guard's largest ratings, Machinery Technician (MK) offers opportunities for assignment at every Coast Guard cutter, boat, and shore station. MKs are trained not only as technicians, but as managers and leaders --- acquiring a breadth of knowledge in all areas of machinery operation and maintenance from internal combustion engines (gas/diesel gas turbines) to environmental support systems (heating/ventilations/air conditioning), hydraulics, basic electricity, and areas of hazardous material recovery and control. In addition, MKs will learn to work on the Coast Guard's computers and computer-based programs. Many MKs are also called on to act as federal law enforcement officers.

Types of Duty:

Upon advancement, an MK may be assigned as a Shop Supervisor (managing equipment and personnel) or Engineering Petty Officer (responsible for overall management of the unit engineering department, including personnel).

Training Available:

Begin with 12 weeks of training at MK 'A' School in Yorktown, VA, or on-the-job training.

Qualifications:

To be an MK, you must have normal color vision and mechanical aptitude, with average or better ability to solve mathematical problems. Practical experience as a mechanic, machinist, or power plant operator is extremely valuable. School courses in mechanics, machine shop, electricity, and practical math are also desirable.

Related Civilian Jobs:

Auto/Truck Mechanic
    Heavy-Duty Equipment Repair
    Heating, Ventilation, Air-Conditioning
    Shipyard Work - Mechanical

Vr,
    Chuck

These poor, plain men, dwellers upon the lonely sands of Hatteras, took their lives in their hands, and, at the most imminent risk crossed the most tumultuous sea…and all for what? That others might live to see home and friends. — Annual Report of the U.S. Life- Saving Service, 1885

Recruiting Website

Read here for answers to the most often asked questions about joining the Coast Guard!

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    chukles

--
    10 Jan 2010 12:07 AM
    posted from old MK thread;

Gears
    The cake is a lie...

Date Joined Nov 2009
    Total Posts : 147 Posted 1/1/2010 3:52 PM (GMT -5)
    I am an active duty MK. I have been stationed at a wide variety of units, attended multiple "C" schools, and enjoyed some interesting TAD assignments. Feel free to ask any questions you want.
    "When you fall on your face you are still moving forward."

Rexdriver57
    Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2009
    Total Posts : 6 Posted 1/7/2010 12:29 PM (GMT -5)
    Gears,

My son is currently an FA assigned to the "A Gang" on a 378, and he likes it very much. He is 99% sure that he wants to go MK, but the DC guys like to try and "recruit" him away. When he joined, he was originally interested in DC. I have a couple of questions that I hope you can shed some light on:

When he graduates A school, will he have much choice as to where he wants to be assigned as an MK?

After A school, are his chances of being assigned to an afloat unit more or less than being assigned to an ashore unit as an MK? About the same? Coin toss?

At this point, he plans on making the CG his career, but you never know. Would you say that the job opportunities in the civilian world are greater for someone with MK training than DC training? I was recently told this by a retired CG officer, just wanted your take on it.

Thanks for your input, I don't have much chance to talk with him these days since he is living on the ship. Take care.

Gears
    The cake is a lie...

Date Joined Nov 2009
    Total Posts : 147 Posted 1/7/2010 4:52 PM (GMT -5)
    Rex,

I started out as an FA on a 270' in Main Prop, I was successfully recruited by the MKs.

At "A" school they will receive a list of open billets, one for each person in the class. 20 people 20 billets. I don't know how the selections for those billets are made. When I was in "A" school we had large cutters, river tenders, stations, support teams. The class after us had almost all stations. So, it's a roll of the dice.

What choice he has depends on how the school divies up those billets. Some classes do it by assignment priority, and some do it by class ranking.

The job opportunities really depend on what he wants to do on the outside. If he wants to get into NAV ENG, small engine repair, marine mechanics, AC&R, MK for sure. If he is interested in becoming a fire fighter, welder, wants to build his own Ark (don't laugh I've seen it) DC for sure.

I don't know what all of the opportunites are for "C" schools for DCs, a DC on board his unit can fill him in. But, there are a whole bunch for us. I have personally been to Caterpillar 3304, Fairbanks Morse Opposed Piston Engine, MTU Diesel Engine, Honda Outboard, Advanced Hydraulics, AC&R, Engineering Administration, and Centralized Supply school.

On top of all that, there is an MK at every unit in the CG. If he wants variety in his career, this is the best way to do it, IMHO. If you want to go more indepth drop me a PM.

Rexdriver57
    Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2009
    Total Posts : 6 Posted Yesterday 9:16 AM (GMT -5)
    Thanks Gears, that was great help not only for me, but I assume also for other MK candidates reading this board. My son got his drawings and quals done and passed his board in a little over a month onboard, so I know he is very motivated to stick with MK, and he really likes it a lot.

Thanks again, it's nice for parents as well as CG members to have a place to go and get a straigh answer.

Gears
    The cake is a lie...

Date Joined Nov 2009
    Total Posts : 147 Posted Yesterday 12:3 PM (GMT -5)
    Anytime Rex, I'm always willing to help recruit a future MK. Someone needs to keep those pesky BMs in line.

boatforces
    Trust me. I do this all the time...

Date Joined Nov 2009
    Total Posts : 40 Posted Yesterday 5:05 PM (GMT -5)
    Admit it Gears, an MK's life would be a hollow shell if it wasn't for us "pesky" BM's keeping you guys on your toes. :)
    In the CG you're either a Boatswains Mate or you work for one

Gears
    The cake is a lie...

Date Joined Nov 2009
    Total Posts : 147 Posted Yesterday 5:28 PM (GMT -5)
    This is true Boatforces, we really have a parasitic/symbiotic relationship don't we?

Vr,
    Chuck

These poor, plain men, dwellers upon the lonely sands of Hatteras, took their lives in their hands, and, at the most imminent risk crossed the most tumultuous sea…and all for what? That others might live to see home and friends. — Annual Report of the U.S. Life- Saving Service, 1885

Recruiting Website

Read here for answers to the most often asked questions about joining the Coast Guard!

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    AlanM

--
    24 Jun 2010 07:59 PM
    ...I am going through the depot program for basic I am not prior service but do to my age this will be the way to MK school,do be look down at guardians that been through this program?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    24 Jun 2010 08:13 PM
    You're asking if we look down on people who go through Depot? No. Why would we? But, when you get to MK school, respect your classmates who are coming in from the fleet.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    mcmaster68

--
    23 Jul 2010 06:34 AM
    As an MK are you provided w/ your own tools or do you have to buy/supply them? I'm use to the civilian life and you have to travel w/ your tools.
    chukles

--
    23 Jul 2010 08:46 AM
    MK's are provided tools.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    23 Jul 2010 11:49 AM
    MK Shops and Engineering Spaces are fully equipped with all of the tools and parts necessary to complete almost any job.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    23 Jul 2010 12:24 PM
    If not, there is always duct tape, WD40 and hammer!
    USCGC Midgett
    chukles

--
    23 Jul 2010 12:48 PM
    Don't forget the metal close hanger for support.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    23 Jul 2010 01:21 PM
    The MK Creed... If it's broken hit it with a hammer. If it's still broken, find a bigger hammer.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    23 Jul 2010 02:31 PM
    I thought you used a FN to beat it for you.
    mcmaster68

--
    29 Jul 2010 06:36 AM
    Can a MK become qualified as Coxswain or do you have to be a BM?
    Cassie

--
    29 Jul 2010 08:36 AM

Posted By mcmaster68 on 29 Jul 2010 07:36 AM
    Can a MK become qualified as Coxswain or do you have to be a BM?

My husband is an MK3 and is qualified as the Coxswain. Hubby's *correction* Senior Chief said he hasn't seen an MK as a Coxswain on any of the PB's he's been on. So its not impossible, just gotta pursue it and convince, and by convince I mean showing your ability, that you can do it.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    29 Jul 2010 05:07 PM
    Southern,

I prefer to keep my FN available for more important jobs. If I need an expendable tool, I find a BM.

MKs can become Coxn qualified. Cassie is correct, you would have to show the motivation to learn to handle the boat, and figure out how to distract the BMs long enough to get ample time on the throttles. I recommend hiding the coffee. That should keep 'em busy for at least one patrol.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    30 Jul 2010 08:49 AM
    Bm's don't like to let an MK anywhere near the controls, they get everything greasy. Stay belowdeck where they belong. It's also too time-consuming to try to teach them how to read a chart!
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    30 Jul 2010 08:49 PM
    Oh, dear. Snipe discrimination...
    stazzuk

--
    10 Feb 2011 01:45 PM
    Greetings Chuckles and any MK's out there. I have a few questions if u have the time to answer them. I am just curious on how long you had to wait to get into the mk a school? also, how difficult was the training? do you need to me a real math whiz? thank you.
                                                                                                    ~future Guardian
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    14 Feb 2011 06:42 PM
    I had to wait about a year, but that was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. The training isn't difficult if you pay attention. You don't have to be a math whiz, you just have to have a desire to learn. When you break it down being a good MK is an acquired skill.
    stazzuk

--
    15 Feb 2011 04:36 PM
    Thank you for your insight!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    16 Feb 2011 08:57 PM
    No problem. If you have any other questions just ask.
    Mr.Magic

--
    03 Mar 2011 03:43 PM
    I just graduated boot camp and I'm thinking about striking MK.

Is it possible to earn your engineering licenses while in the Coast Guard and eventually work your way up to the chief engineering license?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    08 Mar 2011 08:42 AM
    Which engineering licenses are you talking about?
    malonebp

--
    25 Apr 2011 05:16 PM
    Hey guys,
    I spoke to my unit over the phone (where I report for the first time on Friday!), and they said that they have suspended their striking program. I wanted to strike MK rather than wait for A school. Do I have to wait for A school, then?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    26 Apr 2011 07:07 AM
    If there is no striking, then waiting is the only option. There isn't another way around that.
    USCGC Midgett
    CGMK1

--
    28 Apr 2011 07:07 PM
    MK striking is back or will be soon. You being able to strike has to be approved by the Rating Force Master Chief (RFMC).
    MJAMES

--
    07 Jun 2011 04:52 PM
    Hi I am new to the forum, Just have a question how hard is it to strike MK and do many do it successfully especially the final test.

Thanks for you reply.
    dbarrios

--
    02 Aug 2011 07:49 AM
    My son is presently an MK and he loves it..he has served on a cutter and is now at a station. He has been sent to several schools and has learned alot from all of his training. His wait for A School was a year from when he got into the Coast Guards. The crew that he does boardings with let him drive the boat which he enjoys, being raised in the south and always on a boat fishing or hunting he's not afraid to drive it. BM"S break it, MK'S fix it...
    Rokihunter

--
    23 Oct 2011 07:30 PM
    My son just graduated MK school and is off to MSST 91109 in San Diego. Any advice for him and what he can expect at this unit. He came from Cutter Forward and though it was exciting (First responder to Haiti, digging through dead cow carcuses on vessels in hondoras, 80 million drug bust on a haitian boat and was on a deployment to Africa when he recieved his orders for A school) he is ready for life outside the cutter. I am already planning a trip out there in May. My husband is active duty Army and we have traveled alot, but never to the West Coast. Also, I understand he will get BAH because there is no housing on base for rates. Any suggestions or good advice on finding a place would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Kim

Army wife
    Army Veteran
    Coastie Mom
    Monarch Mom (Methodist University)

TheRiverRabbit

--
    21 Dec 2011 06:34 PM
    Hi guys! My name is Robert and I'm going through the enlistment process for CG Reserve. I'm applying for the MK position here at my local CG station (Humboldt Bay). As I understand it, I will be assigned to a Surf Boat. Do surf boats have strong-swimmer rescuers, and if so can a part-time MK get strong-swimmer certified?
    Thank you!
    Robert
    HawaiiCoastie808

--
    07 Mar 2012 08:33 PM
    Hello,

I am interested in pursuing this rate. I was curious what kind of tasks I would be doing as an MK early in their career. Would I be repairing engines and what not, or would I be doing repair work on other things?

Also, what would I be doing as an MK on a cutter as opposed to a small boat station?

Any responses will be appreciated
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 3123 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement