Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
MK-MACHINERY TECHNICIAN
Last Post 28 Jan 2019 11:37 AM by reiss_pieces11. 98 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 4 << < 1234 > >>
Author Messages
Trusted Member
Cooch

--
07 Mar 2012 08:54 PM
All of the above. I'll let Gears chime in on the differences between land and sea. MK's repair and maintain just about every mechanical object in the Coast Guard. The repair small outboard engines, refrigeration units, large turbine and diesel engines, etc. Their primary focus is to maintain everything properly and timely so that they don't have to make major repairs, but they will do those as well. They are responsible for the fueling of large cutters, which takes several hours to complete. They are easily involved in law enforcement. They can qualify as small boat coxswains. It's a good rating to pursue.
You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
Trusted Member
Cooch

--
07 Mar 2012 08:56 PM
*heavily involved in fueling, not easily. Stupid iPhone autocorrect.
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bells

--
07 Mar 2012 10:04 PM
Depending on how big the cutter is too the MKs will be split into two shops, and then also depending on the cutter determines which machinery the two shops focus on. For mine Main Prop does the Main Diesel Engines, the Boilers, the Auxiliary Diesel Generator, Start Air Compressors, ... shaft alleys, ...

A-Gang does the Evaps, all of the ventilation and circulation, all of the fueling for everything (fuel transfers, oily waste stuff, JP5 stuff, hydraulics), all of the water machinery except the boilers, the reefers, the ship service air compressors...so they are TOW qualified, FOWK and small boat engineer, so they work on our small boats too.

As an MK and as you advance you'll need to get pracs for everything, regardless of your shop or current unit (which might be tough at a station). You'll go to a lot of expensive schools...

Its a good time they like their job.
Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
Trusted Member
Gears

--
08 Mar 2012 06:06 AM
Would I be repairing engines and what not, or would I be doing repair work on other things?

You'll be repairing everything that breaks, maintaining equipment so it doesn't break, and keeping wayward BMs from touching stuff so it doesn't break!

Also, what would I be doing as an MK on a cutter as opposed to a small boat station?

What you do will depend on your unit out of "A" school. If you go to a large cutter as an MK3 you'll be assigned to the Engine Room or Aux spaces. Typically, a brand new 3rd Class wont go to "C" school (there are exceptions. I'm one of them), MKs with more experience tend to go to "C" school for specialized training. However, I have seen MKs who have more time in than me (over 13 years) who have never been to a "C" school. If you go to a Small Boat Station you'll work on all of the Stations boat assets and take care of the surrounding buildings while conducting LE and SAR missions. Odds of going to "C" depends on the size of the unit and the need to send you.

Then you have the oft overlooked Engineering Support Unit which include Naval Engineering Support Units (NESU) and Maintenance Augmentation Teams (MAT). If you're interested in having an opportunity to go to expensive "C" schools and getting some very unique experiences. NESUs and MATs support operational units, usually Cutters, but can encompass just about anything. I spent 3 years on a 140' Ice Breaker MAT in Up State MI. I went to A/C and R schools, Fairbanks Morse Opposed Piston Engine School, Advanced Hydraulics School, and Caterpillar 3306 series school. That just scratches the surface though.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
HawaiiCoastie808

--
08 Mar 2012 02:09 PM
Thank you all for your responses, that helps give me a better idea of what I would be doing
pilotdudeman1

--
13 Mar 2012 09:06 AM
can a reservist MK go to maritime enforcement C school? how would i do this?
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bells

--
14 Mar 2012 01:29 AM
"and keeping wayward BMs from touching stuff so it doesn't break! "

bahahaha this isn't even true

This is the list of C Schools:

http://www.tracenpetaluma.com/tqc/cschool.asp

To send you to C School you unit would want to spend the money on you. If you are at a PSU and are getting deployed all the time then ya you are going to get some law enforcement training. But if you are at a regular station and you are only coming in once a month then no they are probably not going to want to spend the money from their unit budget to send you to C School.

S.TxEV12

--
18 May 2012 03:16 PM
Hello everyone! Are there any female MK's out there that would be whilling to share their experiences and pointers either in DEPOT or "A" School. I would love to learn and know more about it. Any little bit would be greatly appreciated. =o)
12michaelh

--
10 Jul 2012 08:31 PM
Im joining the reserve as an mk in section 11. Can anyone here tell me what I should expect from working as an mk in this area? I love working on machines, but im also interested in getting into law enforcement as a full time career. What do you guys experience the most of? Thanks.
Trusted Member
Cooch

--
10 Jul 2012 09:06 PM
Section 11?
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
10 Jul 2012 09:41 PM
I'm sure that is D11. Not section 11. LOL
Sector NY, Staten Island
Trusted Member
Cooch

--
10 Jul 2012 09:52 PM
My brain was incapable of deciphering that. Thanks! Lol
Basic Member
Basic Member
jaycaton

--
05 Feb 2013 07:46 PM
After much research, discussion, and several conversations with my recruiter, today I put my name down for an MK spot in Annapolis. (I'm going reserve) It is not the rating I thought I would go for but it turns out to be the one I (will hopefully) enjoy the most. I had been looking at ME but as it turns out they spend a lot of time training and not much at all doing LE. I also peeked at PA but as it turns out they never ever have openings for those. All signs seem to point to BM and MK doing most of the LE work and being out there, on the water, doing those things you see in the video and on TV. As I understand it, there is a BM and MK on almost every boat - large and small.

Before I head off to DEPOT, I am looking for insight as to what the day to day life of an MK is like. The ups and downs. What to expect. And basically, why MK over BM at this point.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Trusted Member
Gears

--
05 Feb 2013 10:04 PM
As I understand it, there is a BM and MK on almost every boat - large and small.

FTFY.

It depends on the Reserve unit. Your best bet is to ask your Recruiter to arrange for a tour during a drill weekend or ask him to get you in touch with a Reserve MK at the unit.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
Basic Member
Basic Member
jaycaton

--
06 Feb 2013 06:30 PM
Thanks Gears, will do. (Whats FTFY?)
Basic Member
Basic Member
jaycaton

--
06 Feb 2013 06:35 PM
never mind, 50/50, I got it
Trusted Member
Gears

--
06 Feb 2013 06:51 PM
Nope.. Fixed That For Ya.. FTFY.. MKs and BMs are on every cutter and boat in the CG.
Basic Member
Basic Member
jaycaton

--
06 Feb 2013 07:46 PM
Gears, I believe you are an MK, while I plan to take your suggestion about visiting the station, what has been your experience with reserve MKs. If I am in Annapolis I will be at a small boat station (One 45 ft. RBM and two 29 ft. RBS II’s). I believe there is a FS, MK, 2 BMs and maybe one other there. The recruiter says I will be busy at that state and my brother (he served 4 years active and is now in the reserves as an ET) had nothing but good things to say about the MKs he know. He seems to think I would like it. That said, I def would want some LE work in addition to 'fixing what the BMs break' as they say ...
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bells

--
06 Feb 2013 08:46 PM
We dont break stuff. It never gets fixed.
Trusted Member
Gears

--
07 Feb 2013 04:22 PM
I've seen Reserve MKs basically take over on drill weekends, and do scheduled boat maintenance, get underway, do LE, etc. I've also seen the spend drill weekends maintaining qualifications for deployment and nothing else. It all depends on the unit and the CO.

We dont break stuff. It never gets fixed.

It worked before you put your grubby BM hands all over it.
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bells

--
07 Feb 2013 04:52 PM
Lolllll it works if its not going anywhereeee
Trusted Member
Gears

--
07 Feb 2013 04:56 PM
It would go somewhere if you didn't break it!
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bells

--
07 Feb 2013 05:06 PM
Lololol if I had grabbed the impeller and then cut off all of its little wings maliciously, then put it back in its little cup thing/strainer then I'll take responsibity for this last one we just blew!

I really am going to learn more about the engines I wont fail you completely!
Trusted Member
Gears

--
07 Feb 2013 05:10 PM
I had grabbed the impeller and then cut off all of its little wings maliciously, then put it back in its little cup thing/strainer then I'll take responsibity for this last one we just blew!

Was it a rubber impeller?

really am going to learn more about the engines I wont fail you completely!

I couldn't be more proud of you. But, that's not going to stop me from giving you Hell.
Basic Member
Basic Member
Ljcalimano

--
21 Apr 2013 07:15 PM
How is MK A school? Is it Monday thru Friday? Or Sunday thru Saturday? How hard is the training? Can my wife visit me over the weekend or thats a no? Thanks!
Trusted Member
Gears

--
21 Apr 2013 10:26 PM
All A schools are Monday thru Friday unless you have duty. Your wife can visit, but she can't be in the barracks.
youwilllove

--
29 Apr 2013 09:27 PM
I am going to mk a school in3 weeks! Im getting excited and also nervous.  I have been told that it is a lot likd colege but I know it is still the coast guard.  Im kind of clueless whatthe living quarters are like.  Dorms with two each I know.  But like what is that storage space availible to us.  I want to be comfortable but also efficent.  Im a girl and will prolly be one of the few girls that will be there. I dont want to bring too much but I dont want to come empty handed either.  The space availability is really bothering me and would help me a bunch if I knew what to expect.  Someone said they even brought their 40 in flat screen tv....  please hlep me out in what I can expect 

Thanks,  Dar
youwilllove

--
29 Apr 2013 10:38 PM
And also, it is possible to see some pics of the barraks "dorm rooms"?
Trusted Member
Gears

--
30 Apr 2013 03:56 AM
The rooms are set up for two people. You'll get a sizable storage locker, bring a lock. Make sure you bring a full sea bag, civilian clothes, and whatever entertains you. You won't need a 40 in flat screen. You aren't going to college, it's nothing like going to college. You're going to a military training center. It's not as intense as boot camp, but you are expected to maintain military bearing.

There are lots of females at the TRACEN, I have a few friends there now. You won't be one of the few, you'll be one of the many.
cgfiance6600

--
01 May 2013 05:21 PM
My husband reports to MK a school in less than 2 months and I was wondering if anyone had an idea of what happens week by week. For example, in boot camp everyone was able to let me know by week 5 they know where they will be stationed, by week such and such they have liberty. So does anyone know an idea of when they get to see what is available for open billets to chose from? I understand whoever is top in the class gets first picks and so forth. Just trying to get an idea of when he will get to see whats available and make a dream sheet? Thanks!
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 4 << < 1234 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement