Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
MK-MACHINERY TECHNICIAN
Last Post 28 Jan 2019 11:37 AM by reiss_pieces11. 98 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 4 << < 1234 > >>
Author Messages
Mickolas2013

--
18 Jul 2013 01:27 PM
After the September 2013 and October 2013 classes, the next class convene date is 04NOV14. As in November 2014. Is that a typo, or are they shutting down the MK rating for a while? Seems like a weird move.
Trusted Member
Gears

--
18 Jul 2013 02:14 PM
It could be a typo. You can request someone from your Chain of Command to contact the office who publishes the list.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
Mickolas2013

--
18 Jul 2013 02:33 PM
I brought it to my XO's attention. He told me that if the list says X, then X is probably true. Thank goodness I've been striking for a few months!
Trusted Member
Gears

--
18 Jul 2013 02:36 PM
It's possible there won't be another MK class until next year. But, that list could change drastically when it gets published next month. How far along are you on striking?
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
Mickolas2013

--
18 Jul 2013 02:50 PM
Good point. I have completed 20 of 34 RPQ's and need to pass the MK3 test. Was really hoping to use striking as a tool to be ready for A school, but advancement is advancement.
SRMAUGUE

--
11 Sep 2013 12:37 AM
interesting. i am being stationed at station annapolis as a reservist and am going to MK school on sept 23. i am a bit nervous about it though because i dont know much about machinery but i want to go to learn and am hoping this is the way to go. i originally wanted to be a bm.
brianpmalone11

--
04 Oct 2013 11:45 AM
Does anyone have inside word on whether MK A school hands out assignments based on class rank anymore? I have heard that it does, and I have also heard that it now goes by unit priority. Not going to piss and moan if it's one or the other, just want to hear facts instead of rumors. Thanks!
pstar0912

--
21 Nov 2013 03:02 PM
I am currently on the mk A school list and working on striking as well. As my name gets closer on the MK list (as of now I will be going next summer) I am debating on just waiting for school or finishing striking. Any opinions? What can I expect from A school?
Jessler

--
23 Nov 2013 02:47 PM
MK3 just showed up to my unit today, picks go by class rank.
"The world is not in your maps and books [or smartphones]. It's out there."
Basic Member
Basic Member
JDMD

--
06 Mar 2014 09:55 AM
^Just to update the picks process at MK "A", it is now based off the students last set of marks at their previous unit. There is no points system for grades anymore.
Basic Member
Basic Member
JBjunior

--
08 Mar 2014 01:08 PM
Posted By JDMD on 06 Mar 2014 10:55 AM
^Just to update the picks process at MK "A", it is now based off the students last set of marks at their previous unit. There is no points system for grades anymore.

Really?  That is entirely subjective and there are too many variables for that to be a good idea.  Let's not let something objective, like direct performance during school and test results get in the way of someone's opinion of a person before they show up.
Basic Member
Basic Member
JDMD

--
08 Mar 2014 06:30 PM
Yea that's my opinion of it too... When I heard about that, I was kind of amazed because those numbers mean something totally different to each supervisor. Also, a "7" for a sector non rate is NOT the same as a cutter non rate!
Trusted Member
Gears

--
08 Mar 2014 06:49 PM
I agree it's not the best way to divvy up billets. I'm curious how that decision was made.
Basic Member
Basic Member
JBjunior

--
08 Mar 2014 07:41 PM
Posted By Gears on 08 Mar 2014 07:49 PM
I agree it's not the best way to divvy up billets. I'm curious how that decision was made.

Same here Gears, I wonder how they concluded that was the best way.  At the very least, when I went through, it was a motivator to pay attention, learn and do the best you could because your future was riding on it.  

When I was in MK "A" school it depended on where you were coming from, (OCONUS Afloat, INCONUS Afloat, ec) that gave you an extra point or two then everything was based on tests.
Trusted Member
Gears

--
08 Mar 2014 08:10 PM
Same here. I was Honor Grad and got my 4th pick. It was an amazing job though.
JeepGirl01

--
24 Mar 2014 10:35 PM
Hello everyone!

I will be going to MK A School in June and just would like to ask what I will need to bring, and what to have accomplished prior to arrival. I can't seem to find that information anywhere! Thank you for any and all insight!
Basic Member
Basic Member
JDMD

--
25 Mar 2014 09:51 AM
Get your EPME completed! All you need really though is a full, complete seabag and then whatever else you want to bring (civies, a bike...)
dbug30

--
10 Jun 2014 04:49 PM
Has anyone taken the new rating advancment test (RAT) for MK2 yet? 
Basic Member
Basic Member
EvenKeel

--
11 Jan 2015 09:57 PM
Hello everyone! So after joining the Coast Guard and working with many of the rates I have decided I want to stick with the engineering side, most likley MK or EM. For the past few months I have been relatively certain that I wanted to go EM but during this in port I have had an absolute blast working on the mains and SSDGs with the MKs. I'm now considering becoming an MK. So far my plan is to stay in the Coast Guard until I get at least first class, though I may get out earlier or stay in longer, its hard to say at this point. I'm curious what the civilian job market looks like for someone who just got out as an MK1 or Cheif? I know I'll enjoy both rates while I'm in but I'm worried which one will benefit me more in the civilian world.
"You can't run from the wind. You trim your sails, face the music, and keep going." - Captain Sheldon, White Squall
Trusted Member / Recruiter
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
thestormiscoming

--
12 Jan 2015 05:24 AM
I've seen an equal amount of interest in people with several years experience as an EM or MK for a lot of different jobs at the Metro Transit Authority in NYC area. Either way you will learn a valuable trade that translates well to the civilian world. MKs can get stationed in more places and there is more room for advancement beyond E-6 than those in the EM rating.
Trusted Member
Gears

--
03 Feb 2015 06:21 AM
My boat was drydocked at Rybovich Shipyard in West Palm Beach, FL. They have a plethora of former CG Engineers working there making some really good money. It all depends on where you want to go when you get out.
Basic Member
Basic Member
EvenKeel

--
10 Apr 2015 03:04 PM
Im on the MK A school list and I can't wait to go to Yorktown. I have another quick question. I am the best man in a wedding and I may be at A school on the wedding date. I was curious if its possible to take 3-4 days of leave while at MK A school?

Thanks!
"You can't run from the wind. You trim your sails, face the music, and keep going." - Captain Sheldon, White Squall
Basic Member
Basic Member
TheLonelyOS

--
10 Apr 2015 03:54 PM
I've never heard of any A school approving leave. Maybe an out of bounds chit on the weekend.
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
10 Apr 2015 05:08 PM
A guy in Colin's OS A School got a week of leave approved during school. His wife was having their first baby. A wedding, ehhhhh, maybe. Where is the wedding and is it as immediate family member?
Sector NY, Staten Island
Basic Member
Basic Member
EvenKeel

--
10 Apr 2015 05:22 PM
He is not an immediate family member and it would be on the west coast. So I'm guessing thats a no. Now I have to determine if its worth it to not take the EPME and be on hold so that I can attend. This is a very important event to me and my family. The person is a close family friend. Hmmm
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
10 Apr 2015 07:53 PM
Close family friend versus career and advancement? Not really a choice in my eyes. If this person is such a good friend and so close, they would not ever ask you to postpone your life for theirs. Not really a fair trade off.

My son's very closest civilian friend was getting married while he was in A School. He was in Petaluma, his friend was getting married in Washington state. He told him, just can't. My son is still his very best friend, there was never an issue that Colin couldn't attend. It was a given, his schooling was more important to advance his life.
Sector NY, Staten Island
MrTactiKewl

--
01 Apr 2016 12:49 PM
Hey fellas, I'm aiming to leave for boot this summer and based on the info I've got right now I'm shooting for either BM or MK.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and I like fixing things. Also I have four years prior service as USMC infantry so I'm well acquainted with BS and can deal with it just fine. In fact I'm looking forward to being a non rate. Anyway the Corps taught me two very important things about myself: Standing post pisses me off, and I'm an adrenaline junky. I need to be doing things constantly or I start getting antsy.

So what I'm wondering is:
1: in general do MKs tend to stay more occupied then BMs throughout a typical day (both on cutters and at stations)
2: Do MKs get as much time on the water as BMs doing "kewl stuff" like boarding ships and patrolling the waters and stuff like that. (again on both cutters and stations)
3: I know it's possible for an MK to drive or command a small boat but is it likely?
Trusted Member
Gears

--
01 Apr 2016 02:53 PM
1: in general do MKs tend to stay more occupied then BMs throughout a typical day (both on cutters and at stations)

Yes. After the mission is done, we have to do maintenance on the equipment the BMs break.

Do MKs get as much time on the water as BMs doing "kewl stuff" like boarding ships and patrolling the waters and stuff like that. (again on both cutters and stations)

Yes. We're stationed at almost every CG unit and are eligible to qualify as small boat crew, boarding team members, and boarding officers.

I know it's possible for an MK to drive or command a small boat but is it likely?

MKs have to learn basic boat handling and navigation at small boat stations. MKs can qualify as Coxswain's but that level of training is typically reserved for BMs.
MrTactiKewl

--
02 Apr 2016 11:14 AM
Thanks Gears. So while the MKs are fixing things what are the BMs doing? Standing watch?
Trusted Member
Gears

--
04 Apr 2016 05:30 AM
The BMs are usually taking care of rescue and survival gear, LE gear, cleaning the boats, splicing line, standing watch, and talking about driving boats.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 4 << < 1234 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement