Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
AET-AVIONICS ELECTRICAL TECHNICIAN
Last Post 06 Feb 2018 07:25 PM by Jchilds7. 93 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 4 << < 1234 > >>
Author Messages
AET2

--
02 Sep 2011 08:41 PM
JWMURFF,

Yeah you have normal liberty at A-School. When I was there it was 8AM - 4PM, MON-FRI. Weekends off. The only time this changes is when you are assigned a duty billet for the day. Even then you still have PLENTY of free time.

Taking the family isn't a bad idea, just remember your goal/mission is to pass A-School. I've known people do what your planning and succeed and also fail, so plan it right.
cecilomar

--
04 Sep 2011 08:08 PM
Posted By AET2 on 02 Sep 2011 09:36 PM
Cecilomar,

This is how it works.

1. Go to Airman Program. (Usually the nearest one to your current unit, but not always.)
2. After Airman Program: If single PCS to A-School. If married TDY to A-School. (Keep in mind that I have seen singles get TDY also.)
3. At A-school you will get to choose 2 airstations you would like to go to. Your class rank determines whether your choice will be available to choose from.
4. After graduation: If you PCS'd to A-school, you will PCS to your assigned airstation. If you TDY'd to A-School you will return to your Airman Program airstation and then PCS to your assigned airstation from there.

It doesn't matter where you do your Airman Program. What I mean is, if you go to Cape Cod that does not mean you will be stuck on 60's.
If you want to work on 65's, you need to do real good at A-School so you can be at the top of your class. This will give you more choices when "picks" time comes.
I'm married so that's TDY.

Even though I know I'll learn everything I need to know at A-School, I already started reading a book about basic electricity. I just want to go ahead and memorize those tricky formulas now and learn more at school... It's also something to do while underway on my next D1 patrols, our X-Box is broken. 

Thank you for answering my questions, AET2.
Trusted Member / Administrator
chukles

--
04 Sep 2011 08:27 PM
Here is some good information for you.

http://www.play-hookey.com/dc_theor...s_law.html
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
cecilomar

--
04 Sep 2011 10:31 PM
Posted By chukles on 04 Sep 2011 09:27 PM
Here is some good information for you.

http://www.play-hookey.com/dc_theor...s_law.html

Great resourse, thank you chukles!

I'm reading "Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics" (ISBN-13: 978-0071377300).
After that I'm reading "How to Diagnose and Fix Everything Electronic" (ISBN-13: 978-0071744225).
Motocrossx23

--
05 Sep 2011 11:25 PM
I'm a Technology Teacher currently, but I'm enlisting and leaning towards the AET rate. I HIGHLY recommend reading this book in the link below. I use it for all my electronics classes as an "intro" book for the students. It covers everything you'd possibly like to know about electronics, with clever illustrations and well worded explanations.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/19963886/...adio-Shack
AET2

--
07 Sep 2011 06:56 PM
No problem cecilomar. Nice resource there motocross. Working in the field you tend to forget the basics!! After you learn your airframe you tend to know and recognize problems with little effort. Then a doozy discrepancy comes out and there I am relearning the basics!! Fun times.

Cecilomar I like your dedication thats what we need. I would recommend not burning yourself out. What your doing now should be done before, during, and after A-School; studying and learning!! A-School is truly an overview of what you will need to know. You won't learn everything there. When you get to your airstation the real learning begins. Remember, an E-4 is an apprentice level. A-School gives you a nice foundation to start your real training in the field.

I felt discouraged and overwhelmed because I felt I knew nothing and there was so much to take in with job related stuff to aircrew stuff. STAY MOTIVATED at that point. Good attitudes gets you far in aviation.

I am happy to give information at any time. I am a 60 "T" model guy, former "J". Any other airframes I am clueless...LoL!
BuckeyCG

--
03 Oct 2011 06:43 PM
Hey I'm pretty sure that I want to go AET for my rate. Can someone tell me what A school is like, and what are your basic duty rotations? Also I would like to know if AET is good training for a career in the private sector? Thanks much appreciated.

FN Johnson
avionics_mechanic

--
24 May 2012 04:19 PM
I am an avionics mechanic (hence the name) in active duty army. I am in a special unit. I have been in for 6 years now and will have 8 years total at the end of this contract. How hard is it to get the AET job with already being an avionics mechanic? Would I have to go through the training over again or just on the job training? My job training was 27 weeks long, I cant see there really being any differences between the 2. Also does previous work experience help at all? I work on systems that no one else in the military has and my work is more in depth in my particular unit. I am just curious, I have been thinking about switching over after my current contract is up. Any info would really be helpful. Thanks
camjohnson89

--
15 Dec 2012 08:50 AM

I've been on the AET A-School list for about 6 months now and it really hasn't budged at all besides from people taking their names off of the list. There also have not been any projected class dates posted on any of the lists. Anyone have any info on what the future holds for new Airmen or why it is being locked up now? I thought AET would move faster than AMT but it seems like its being locked up as well.

Thanks.

Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bells

--
15 Dec 2012 09:04 AM
Yup it is looking like its pretty locked up.

Here http://www2.tracenpetaluma.com/tqc/download.asp

That is a excel spreadsheet that they create of all of the C and A school classes that they plan on having. I like it better than using the A-school lists.

Just hang in there. Aviation has always been slow moving. And this time of the year stuff always slows down to see what happens with the budget. It usually picks up again in the spring
Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
15 Dec 2012 09:08 AM
Pretty much the same reasons as the other rates... people aren't movign out so there is no reason to move anyone up and certainly no reason to make anyone new. More people in service than billets available. If it is what your heart truly wants, wait for it. You will get there. Don't settle on something else and be unhappy, unsatisfied. Hang in there, when things open up it will probably open pretty big. I know it sucks waiting to do what you want to do... but it will be so completely worth it! Best of luck!
Sector NY, Staten Island
Guardians_Girl

--
14 May 2013 11:29 AM
I understand the school has been sort of shut down for awhile now. According to the link two posts above mine, the Class Convening list for AET looks like it has been updated for a class in August. My question is, Has anyone heard of the Coast Guard talking about dropping Airman Program (going to an airstation 4 months before AET A-School)? I heard a rumor that they were going to add that training into the curriculum at A-School.

My husband is really low on the list (in the teens) and IF a class convenes in August like the spreadsheet notates, he should have gotten orders to Airman Program a month ago.
camjohnson89

--
18 Sep 2013 06:24 PM
Hi, just curious. Can an AET perform any collateral duties such as being on MSST, SCUBA, DOG, etc? Which ones if so?
Basic Member
Basic Member
Lance

--
18 Sep 2013 09:16 PM
Diver- yes
TACLET- meeeeeh. How about Aerial Gunner at HITRON? All those BM's have a hard time passing a Flight Physical.

Your command has to approve it and I believe you have to be a AET2 
camjohnson89

--
21 Sep 2013 12:04 PM
So no TACLET? Also someone told me they've changed it so only GM's and ME's can fill Aviation Gunner billets.
Basic Member
Basic Member
Lance

--
21 Sep 2013 05:37 PM
There are a few TACLET teams at my Airstation and there are no one from aviation but im not saying that there isnt one anywhere else. It comes down to allowing the AET to leave his Billet and become a gunner. I haven't heard anything about only allowing GM's or ME's filling that job, you would be surprised how many people can't pass a Flight Physical, which is why a lot of the Gunners are Aviation. If you wanna shoot guns and be "tacti-cool" you might want to think of another job. The closest thing that I have to being tactical is chem-lights and subdued patches on a flightsuit...
Trusted Member
Basic Member
Basic Member
AirDale13

--
24 Sep 2013 03:52 PM
To answer GuardianGirl, the Airman Program is now being incorporated into the A-School curriculum. A-School will now be 25 to 26 weeks in length and for now will be under TDY orders. (Looking at making it PCS due to it being over 20 weeks.) It appears that the traditional Airman Program of 4 months at an Airsta is going away.

AET's can be:
Recruiters
Divers
Aerial Gunners (HITRON)
Precision Marksman
Company Commanders
Commandants Flight Crew
School Instructors

And maybe some other positions I don't know about.
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
ejhcougar

--
10 Oct 2013 07:26 PM
Just an update to the airman program changes, the new Aviation A schools are ALL PCS moves for ALL members now that the airman program is incorporated. The last number I heard on school length was 22 weeks. This was from the CO of the A Schools about 3 weeks ago. As for the gunner side, there are now only three places that aviators can be gunners, HITRON, San Francisco, and Cape Cod. The rest of the AUF programs have been stopped and Cape Cod is now the central unit for that. There is chatter that ME's will be taking over all AUF and HITRON gunner billets. This doesn't sit well with flight mechanics due to the potential of a pissing match in the back of the plane if a gunner is riding as a pax. If you have any specific aviator questions PM me and I would be happy to help.
Trusted Member
Basic Member
Basic Member
AirDale13

--
11 Oct 2013 03:36 PM
Looks like some changes were made since the AET rating force manager talked about it in the Force Notes. Glad they made it a PCS move, I mean it just makes sense.
blitzburgh

--
11 Oct 2013 05:06 PM
AMT and AET are 26 week courses and AST is 24. Also the obligated service for all 3 rates is now 36 months upon graduation. Also I heard from a YN at Elizabeth City the it was now a PCS move as well.
Basic Member
Basic Member
Lance

--
11 Oct 2013 08:32 PM
AST A-school has roughly a 20-30% passing rate, why would it make sense to PCS a AST airman that has a dependent(s) to E-city and spend all that money in a PCS move just to have him washout 2 weeks into his 24 week A-school? Now they PCS again... Come on... On board with the other 2 rates but it doesn't make sense with AST A-school.
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
ejhcougar

--
30 Oct 2013 06:40 PM
Blitzburgh,

Just remember that the aviation side of the house is extremely fluid right now. Your orders are cut for that time but the last thing we were told is they still don't know how long the course is going to end up being because changes are being made constantly. By getting rid of the airman program they have start to deprogram the boat mentality and reprogram the plane mentality. Its hard to do I promise! It is a lot of fun though. I'm curious to see how well adding the airman program to A school will be, I think it is a bad idea, but its not up to me! Good luck at school, we need some more tweets!
blitzburgh

--
31 Oct 2013 07:25 PM
ejhcougar,

I was going off what the a school list said for how long schools were and I did hear about them constantly making changes so it would make sense to not know exactly how long school will be and for them to just put a rough estimate. It is going to be hard to switch from boat mentality to aviation. Especially now considering your not at a boat or small boat station for 1 year before school, your there for 3 years and things really get drilled in your head and stick by then. I'm extremely excited to get to school. I'm constantly looking for new things and to see when I'll go. Right now it looks like February unless some holds don't clear and they rush me into the December class. Thank you for the support!
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
ejhcougar

--
05 Nov 2013 03:10 PM
You will have fun. Elizabeth City isn't all that great but Virginia beach and Norfolk are only 45 minutes away and you will there through the summer. Aviation is much more relaxed but picky than the cutter side. Everyone below a Chief is basically first name basis. Don't freak out when you get to your first unit. You will get handed a BA syllabus which takes 6 months or better to complete, then 80 pages of RPQs plus all of your station specific quals. You get a HUGE amount of info thrown at you and it takes double the amount of work of the none aviation ratings to be eligible to test for E-5. Just remember to do each thing one piece at a time. Same thing for school! There will be a ton of info and you WILL need to remember 90% to have a shot at learning your job once you get to the fleet. Good luck, and if you need anything or have any questions about the area let me know.
Guardians_Girl

--
04 Dec 2013 01:57 PM
Hi guys! My hubby is at AET A-School now. He will be part of the first class with the newly incorporated airman program added into the curriculum at E-City. Things are very fluid and they are still working out little things here and there. 

As far as the PCS notes above, we did not PCS. We actually changed it to TDY because it didn't make sense for me to pickup and move all the way from Seattle for 6 months when I have a good paying job. So TDY is possible. 
blitzburgh

--
06 Dec 2013 04:26 PM
So he was orginally given PCS orders for you to move out there with him but you requested it changed to TDY?
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
ejhcougar

--
16 Dec 2013 11:09 AM
TDY is a possibility yes but I wouldn't count on it. Everything is subject to the command. However, if you can articulate to the command AND show that it is financially better for the Coast Guard, then you have a shot!
camjohnson89

--
31 Dec 2013 11:39 AM
Is it required to attend C school for your specific airframe upon completion of A-School? How common is it to be sent to one as an AET3?
ericdykema

--
18 Jan 2014 03:20 PM
I'm considering putting my name on the AET list. Can anybody describe what a typical day entails? And if I went to an airstation with all 65s and wanted to transfer over to C130s, could I do that?
Trusted Member
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
mkelly

--
18 Jan 2014 07:19 PM
I'm not a tweet but I can give you an outside view of what they do at our unit. First off, your unit will want you to get FM qualed so you will spend your time doing maintenance and getting FM qualed. Once you're qulaed you will split your time doing maintenance and standing duty as a flight mechanic. Every unit is different with the amount of duty stood. Until you are FM qualed you will stand line crew duty.
I'm not sure about switching over from rotor wing to fixed wing. From my little experience, rotor wing guys seem happier as a whole. Now that is a huge generalization and I understand that isn't the case for everybody. Good luck!
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 4 << < 1234 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement