Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
AMT-AVIATION MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN
Last Post 08 Mar 2018 08:37 PM by sako_hopar. 119 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 41234 > >>
Author Messages
Trusted Member / Administrator
chukles

--
10 Jan 2010 12:12 AM
    AVIATION MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN (AMT)

To view a video of this rate, click here.

AMTs inspect, service, maintain, troubleshoot and repair aircraft engines, auxiliary power units, propellers, rotor systems, power train systems, and associated airframe and systems-specific electrical components. They service, maintain and repair aircraft fuselages; wings; rotor blades; fixed and movable flight control surfaces; and also bleed aircraft air, hydraulic and fuel systems. AMTs also fill aircrew positions such as flight engineer, flight mechanic, loadmaster, dropmaster, sensor-systems operator and basic aircrewman.

Types of Duty:

AMTs are stationed at large and small Coast Guard air stations throughout the United States and Puerto Rico, and can be assigned to the Polar Operations Division in Mobile, Ala., in support of ice-breaking operations. AMTs maintain HC-130H (Hercules), HU-25A (Falcon), HH-60J (Jayhawk) and HH-65A (Dolphin) aircraft.

Training Available:

The initial five-month course covers basic aircraft-maintenance fundamentals. Other advanced courses cover specific aircraft systems and provide troubleshooting skills. The courses are taught at the Aviation Technical Training Center for all but the HC-130 aircraft. The Coast Guard also utilizes commercial training for advanced courses. An AMT may apply for the Aviation Maintenance Technology program, which provides personnel with the knowledge and skills necessary to fill billets requiring a high level of technical expertise. This program provides up to two years of full-time college attendance to achieve a minimum of an associate degree in aeronautical technology.

Qualifications:

You must have an aptitude for mechanics. School courses in algebra, geometry, electronics and machine shop are very helpful. Candidates must pass an aircrew-candidate physical and qualify for a "Secret" security clearance.

Related Civilian Jobs:

Flight Engineer
    Airline Maintenance Supervisor
    General/Commercial Aviation Mechanic
    General/Commercial Aircraft Inspector
    Aviation-Maintenance Instructor
    Aircraft Ground Handler

Vr,
    Chuck

These poor, plain men, dwellers upon the lonely sands of Hatteras, took their lives in their hands, and, at the most imminent risk crossed the most tumultuous sea…and all for what? That others might live to see home and friends. — Annual Report of the U.S. Life- Saving Service, 1885

Recruiting Website

Read here for answers to the most often asked questions about joining the Coast Guard!

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    10 Jan 2010 12:24 AM
    Posted from old AMT thread;

Rogue580
    Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2009
    Total Posts : 128 Posted 12/31/2009 5:05 PM (GMT -5)
    I recently saw that the coast guard has new unmanned airplanes that they are going to be using i was wondering if these are going to be serviced by regular AMTs? And if anyone knew whos job it will be to pilot them remotely? thanks!

CSAYank
    Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2008
    Total Posts : 530 Posted 1/2/2010 5:49 AM (GMT -5)
    Are you talking about the little ROV's or DHS's new Predators?
    -Pain is weakness leaving the body.
    -It's 5 o'clcok somewhere.
    - So can you tell me what exactly does freedon mean, if I'm not free to be as twisted as I wanna be.

Rogue580
    Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2009
    Total Posts : 128 Posted 1/2/2010 3:53 PM (GMT -5)
    The coast guard has unmanned planes now, there the predators but they have USCG on them not the Department of homeland security. Might be the same ones!

Vr,
    Chuck

These poor, plain men, dwellers upon the lonely sands of Hatteras, took their lives in their hands, and, at the most imminent risk crossed the most tumultuous sea…and all for what? That others might live to see home and friends. — Annual Report of the U.S. Life- Saving Service, 1885

Recruiting Website

Read here for answers to the most often asked questions about joining the Coast Guard!

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    sjd22

--
    01 Dec 2010 11:53 AM
    I posted this same question in the AET forum:

What do AMT's usually do when they are out of the Coast Guard? Can you provide yourself with a good living? I'm shipping on Jan 4 as an E-3 and want to get my name on an A-School list ASAP. I'm looking at IS right now, because I know I can get the clearance, I already have a secret level and a spotless record. On top of that it seems like I'd enjoy it. But AET or AMT just looks like it's ****ing cool. I have 61 credits toward an Engineering degree, and have an understanding of mechanics and electricity with an interest in both. But I want to make sure I'll be able to provide for the family I one day hope to have when I'm done.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    uberchris

--
    26 Dec 2010 06:42 PM
    the coast guard has an A+P certification program, which is a license recognized by the FAA certifying that you are a competent Airframe + Powerplant mechanic. From everyone i have talked with, if you show a willingness to learn as an airdale, and have the right attitude, you can go to a bunch of different C schools while you are in, and learn different things about the specific type of aircraft you are assigned to.

outside, A+P mechanics generally work for airlines, charter service, private corporations, and government, as line mechanics, line supervisors, and maintenance management. There are plenty of schools that offer bachelors degrees in aviation maintenance, and usually with only about 36 credits more and promising character, you can attain a graduate degree in aviation safety, or accident investigation, and get yourself some serious opportunity.

while you are in you really should take full advantage of tuition assistance. ive been in 2 years and only just started working towards a degree in aviation maintenance with embry riddle worldwide and regret waiting this long...........

good luck in whatever your endeavors are, but if you plan to go AMT or AET, plan on waiting. I put my name on the school list JUL09, and should be getting orders to the airman program about MAY11. In my opinion, nothing else in the coast guard looks like it would interest me. theres a reason i was always staring at the sky in the outfield through little league playoff games, lol.

http://www.forums.amtcentral.com/ thats got some good info and

http://worldwide.erau.edu/degrees-programs/undergraduate/aviation-maintenance.html ERAU online learning. there are plenty of other schools as well.

good luck
    AMT PROBIE

--
    16 Jul 2011 07:10 AM
    Are ther any AMT's here that started thier CG career on the boat side and then went aviation. And if so, please share how much different it is...for better or for worse!

v/r
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    gdeyarmond

--
    19 Sep 2011 03:04 PM
    Myself and my ship mate at my station are looking into AMT. He is ready to put his name on an A School list and I just arrived there, but we are both scratching our heads as to how and get flight physicals to get this ball rolling. The closest air station is a 5 hour drive or so (detroit).
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    texascgmom

--
    20 Sep 2011 09:53 AM
    My son is at a station on the Great Lakes and was able to get his flight physical in Detroit. I remember him driving to Detroit to get the physical done. His command set everything up for him. I think he did it after he put his name on the A-School list.
    Proud Mom to SN Lueders - "Mom" to FN Coover - Soon to be AET's
    subaru27

--
    23 Dec 2011 10:07 AM
    I am currently an FN at Sector San Francisco. I've never been on a boat but I've got friends on the Morg(a 378), and the Aspen(a bouy tender). I also go to Air Station San Fran because I am going AMT. All I can say is any aviation rate is a totally and completely different lifestyle than ANY boat rate. If you like doing boardings or being at sea, aviation isn't for you. Aviators hang out in the hanger all day doing tedious routine maintenance all day and only fly on some SAR cases or to get hours in. Also when you tag onto a cutter to do a patrol all the boat guys hate when you're there, especially when your doing night ops. Advancement is also something to consider. Other than AST, the aviation A-school lists are 2 years plus right now and once you get rated advancement to second is slow, making chief is crazy hard. But like everyone says, " Choose your rate, choose your fate." I came in knowing the waitlist was 2 years and that it would be worth it for me.
    subaru27

--
    23 Dec 2011 10:17 AM
    I don't know how close you are to a sector but thats where I got my flight physical done. They gave me a lot of crap and the HS's wouldn't let me make the appointments at first because I just got on the list and they said with the waitlist as long as it is it wouldn't make sense to get it. I argued with them that I've known people who were told the same thing and when they finally got to the top of the list and got the physical done they failed. They waited over a year and a half on the waitlist to find out they can't go aviation!! One guy then put his name on the MK list which was another year wait. The sector I'm at has a department specifically for flight physicals. look up the phone directory list for the sector near you and talk to that department. You also need an eye exam.
    subaru27

--
    23 Dec 2011 10:23 AM
    I am on the AMT A school list and would like to get some feedback from an A school alumni. I am married with two kids and my wife and I are debating whether or not she should come to NC and rent a place so we came see eachother whenever possible. How often do you get liberty during A school and do they let you leave or would they let them come on base to visit? 5 months is a long time not to see my kids so getting to see them twice a month or hopefully more would be worth it to me.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    gdeyarmond

--
    16 Jan 2012 10:33 AM
    Put my name on the AMT A school list last week. Should show up next month. I am heading to Detroit (not really in Detroit, but close I guess) on Friday for my flight physical. I didn't have much trouble getting an appointment. I called the HS' and left a message...about 30 minutes later I got paged that I had a phone call and set the appointment up. You can always try another air station if you are having trouble. I don't know if your command would allow it? I am about 20 miles closer to Detroit vs. Cape Cod, so I had "options". Good luck to all of you on the AMT list.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    gdeyarmond

--
    16 Jan 2012 10:34 AM
    My wife was asking me about this the other day too. I am hoping someone can give us some feedback.
    AMT2

--
    16 Jan 2012 03:36 PM
    How's it going everyone. I went through AMT-A School in 2003 and got out as an AMT2 in '09. Was a Helo bubba the whole time on the tupperwolf. Let me know if you guys have any questions. I would be more than happy to answer them. I was also an instructor/EFEB so any 65 specific questions are also welcome.
    One turnin.....two burnin!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Kchan

--
    16 Jan 2012 06:51 PM
    Hey Amt2, have you ever met anyone or know of anyone that has pectus excavatum and was able to get this rate? I am waiting for a waiver and I was hoping of doing AMT as one of my options if possible.
    AMT2

--
    16 Jan 2012 10:26 PM
    You honestly got me there! I don't remember seeing anyone at A-school with that condition, but that doesn't mean much. The flight physical standards are pretty high. I was grounded for six months due to the fact that I developed acid reflux disease. It seemed like it took forever to get my waiver. The flight sergeon was ready to permanently disqualify me and I was already and E-5 and an Instructor on the 65. My chief was able to convince him to push my waiver through so that I could take my meds and still fly. So take it for what its worth, they are pretty strict about certain things. Good luck!
    One turnin.....two burnin!
    JJSTANMAN69

--
    25 Jan 2012 05:37 PM
    Afternoon! Anyone aware of a AST's rotation.From my understanding it was a 1 in 12 rotation (one day in barracks 12 days workday till 4).Is this true for all airstations.I just couldnt see how you could handle anything in your civilian life if you cam in everyday untill 4 or at least till noon.Any idea, hints?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    27 Jan 2012 09:33 AM
    You are asking this question in the AMT thread, not the AST thread. You would be better posting it in the correct area or starting a new thread. You will get faster answers. I don't know the answer, no one in my family was an AMT or AST. So I would only be guessing. Best of luck.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    JJSTANMAN69

--
    31 Jan 2012 10:48 AM
    Im sorry, I meant an AMT not an AST. It was a misspelling on my part.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    gdeyarmond

--
    15 Mar 2012 11:09 AM
    I put my name on the AMT list in mid January and had my flight physical at the end of Jan. They found a Right Bundle Branch Block and sent me to a cardiologist to make sure I was ok...Cardio said I was good to go and I have since applied for a waiver.

I know waivers are not an instant thing, but I'm just looking for a time frame before I should probably contact someone, or move my name to another list. I really want to go Aviation, but also realize that it is a 2 year wait minimum and I am "old" by USCG standards, so I'm trying to minimize "wasting" any time waiting on a school list in a rating I might never be able to go.
    Ryanpann

--
    11 Apr 2012 06:08 PM
    Hey what's up everyone, I had a few questions for you about the AMT rate. I leave for boot June 12 and really excited for the future and becoming an AMT! Forgive me if you saw this post already.

After becoming AMT3, what is the process on getting on a flight crew? does it depend on the air station or is there a list of qualifications first...?

As an AMT what are your thoughts becoming an officer and the AVCAD program, is this something you've considered doing or have done? why/why not?

Are you given the opportunity to choose the aircraft you want to work on after A School?

thanks again
    dan12

--
    06 Jun 2012 12:40 PM
    does wearing glesses disqualify me to be an Aviation Maintenance Technician or any other aviation rating?
    dan12

--
    06 Jun 2012 12:42 PM
    what is the flight physical like?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ejhcougar

--
    12 Jun 2012 02:57 PM
    dan12, it all depends on what your vision is, currently the simple answer is 20/400 is the limit to get into coast guard aviation. The flight physical is fairly intensive and varies from station to station. THe standards are the same, but the way the doctors interpret things is different. If you have any questions ask away or shoot me a PM.
    illbboy

--
    31 Jul 2012 12:43 PM
    I hear all working hours vary from station is that true? also I read somewhere that AMTs work with firearms as well, is that true?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    31 Jul 2012 02:48 PM
    The only AMT's that work with firearms are the ones that are stationed at HITRON. As far as work hours, there is a day shift, night shift, and overnight shift at most air stations. So the hours definitely vary.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    illbboy

--
    31 Jul 2012 02:58 PM
    thanks for the info. as far as the whole firearms thing goes, is that in the A school or just HITRON training?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    31 Jul 2012 03:43 PM
    Just HITRON.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Kreske

--
    02 Aug 2012 04:24 PM
    Also at units that have an AUF (Aerial Use of Force) program, Such as Sector San Diego
    nickg

--
    05 Oct 2012 04:05 PM
    The last 2 posts got deleted on here. If the person who deleted them or knows why they got deleted can you send me a PM or just respond.

Thank you!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 Oct 2012 05:39 PM
    I didn't delete them but I would venture to guess it had something to do with scuttlebutt that could be very detrimental to good order. I don't care what sort of "very good source" someone has... We don't advocate rumors nor will we tolerate rumors. Fact based only. I'm sure that had a very big part of why any of our moderators and administrators would delete the post. The conversation and speculation about that ends here. If you would like to discuss it further, please send me a PM.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 41234 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement