Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
AMT-AVIATION MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN
Last Post 08 Mar 2018 08:37 PM by sako_hopar. 119 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 4 << < 1234 > >>
Author Messages
Someyoungguy

--
27 Aug 2013 11:00 AM

Sounds good. Thanks Lance.

Someyoungguy

--
07 Dec 2013 06:28 AM

So a newer message on the A school list says: "All Avitaion “A” school candidates will receive orders directly to Elizabeth City, NC for training. The AMT/AET course is now 26 weeks in duration, the AST course will be completed in 24 weeks."

Does this mean for poeple with spouses that their spouse will be able to go with them to North Carolina now and collect the BAH for NC during the Airman program and A school?

cvasquez

--
07 Apr 2014 03:58 PM
Posted By Lance on 22 Aug 2013 09:11 PM
When the AN program was at the AirStations all aviations rates took the same math test. It wasn't anything to crazy, just your typical High School algebra. We also didn't allow our AST airmen to use calculators. Now that there really isn't a AN program I have no clue but I'm sure it's probably going to be similar.

This was posted months ago, but what was put in place of the AN program? If you just post a link of info that would suffice. Thanks in advance.

Does the post above this one answer my question? If so, I'd still like to read more about it.
Trusted Member / Recruiter
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
thestormiscoming

--
12 Apr 2014 04:57 AM
http://www.uscg.mil/psc/epm/ao/Airm...rogram.asp

Details are in the link. AST hopefuls will do their PFT at their unit, have the command certify, and submit to the aviation assignment CPO at ATTC. They will complete the airman program while attending their A school.
Kimbraa

--
23 Apr 2014 11:33 PM
Can anyone tell me about careers after serving as an AMT in the Coast Guard? I know the gocoastguard website mentions careers you can have after serving, I was more interested in seeing how employers like former USCG AMTs and if they're highly sought after, or if it's difficult to find a good career after getting out.
Ry2134

--
01 May 2014 06:11 AM
How difficult is the A School for this rate.
blitzburgh

--
02 May 2014 09:00 PM
I'm at school now. The instructors are really good and the goal is to get you to pass so they make sure you understand the knowledge. The student guides for each lesson explain everything that you need to know and the tests are word for word out of them. You go over a lesson, take the test and then move to the next one. Like I said the goal is to get you to pass because they CG is low on AMT3's and AET3's and your needed in the fleet.
cvasquez

--
03 May 2014 09:40 AM
Posted By thestormiscoming on 12 Apr 2014 05:57 AM
http://www.uscg.mil/psc/epm/ao/Airm...rogram.asp

Details are in the link. AST hopefuls will do their PFT at their unit, have the command certify, and submit to the aviation assignment CPO at ATTC. They will complete the airman program while attending their A school.

Very helpful. Thanks a lot.
RipCity

--
18 May 2014 11:38 PM
Couple of AMT questions. I'm a reservist, but am currently waiting approval from HQ to integrate. I'll be dropping from an ME2 to a un-designated e-3 (Won't be able to keep SNME)

I have been a qualified boat crewman for the past 3 years, so my initial plan for wherever I am placed is to begin to strike BM, but am also very interested in AMT. I am aware of being able to strike a rate, and put my name on the AMT A school list at the same time, but do not know the procedures for getting my name on the list, i.e. how long it takes to just initially get your name on the list.

I will possibly be able to shoot up to sector before reporting and get a flight physical taken care of, but I'm not positive.

Also, ASVAB Waivers. I'm positive if I re-took the asvab today I'd score a lot higher than I did when I was 19, but am wondering if it would be easier to obtain a waiver instead. On the other hand, currently still in reserve status, I plan on talking to the recruiter that I'm going through the process with to see what all I can get taken care of in the time being.

anyways, any info about the A school list procedures, airman program, and the rate in general would be awesome, I've been deployed as a reservist a couple of times, and have been able to do some pretty cool stuff, but would love info about the day-to-day air station duty, etc.

Thanks!
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bells

--
19 May 2014 01:46 AM
I think it would just be easier to take the test. For the striking question you can put your name on the aschool list after four months after you report. You then can also strike. But the striking program isn't like how it was. You have to be enrolled by your unit and they track your epqs in tmt. Once you finish striking and pass all the tests (bm3 eoct and the dwo) you then have to decide whether you want to go on the advancement list for bm3 or stay on the school list for amt. Since you are already in it would be interesting to see if you could start striking now. Half the pracs are boatcrew pracs. You might need rfmc approval, but since it's for the purpose of eventually switching to active duty it might be easier to get approval. I would talk to your command. Have them ask the questions
Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
Trusted Member
Gears

--
19 May 2014 08:29 AM
ASVAB Waivers.

You're going to want to do your own research, the rules may have changed. Your command can waive up to 5 points on a section of the ASVAB, and HQ can waive up to 5 more. I don't know what the process is, or how it works, but it's an option.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
ejhcougar

--
19 May 2014 03:54 PM
RipCity,

An asvab waiver is an option, you have to go through your command to do it when you start the process to get your name on the list. To echo Gears, you can waive up to 5 points. From what I have seen if you are more than five, even though it may technically be an option it isn't likely to happen. However, with AMT being critical now it may be worth a shot.

As far as the day, it really depends on what airframe you get put on. Most air stations work 3 shifts. days, nights, and mids. So you do Monday-Friday shift work and then have duty in there as well. There is a ton of training involved. After A school it takes about 2 years to be fully qualified at your unit and be eligible to test for E-5. I am an AET and we work side by side all day and night. The flight crew positions on the helos are the same for both mechs and tweets, the fixed wing air frames are a little different but still have a lot of interoperation between the ratings. As for their job, if it moves: the AMT's work on it. If it has a wire: the AET's work on it. Obviously there are a lot of systems that are electrically controlled mechanical systems so the two ratings get cozy A LOT. Air stations tend to be a lot more laid back that the surface fleet but that has been my personal experience. If you have any specific questions I would be happy to answer.

As for "running up to sector" for a flight physical...that is easier said than done. The initial flight physical is two parts. One is a standard physical plus EKG, Hearing, etc. etc. and blood work. Once the labs come back you go meet with the flight surgeon to discuss the labs and all of the different horrible things that can happen in an aircraft as well as get all large body marks i.e. tattoos, scars, etc. measured for body ID purposes. If you are married, your wife will be present for the interview portion most likely. It HAS to be done by a qualified flight surgeon and getting in to one sometimes is difficult and other times is a pain. Good luck with this endeavor! It is a long process but well worth it. Nothing more awesome than pulling into a 20 foot hover over a fishing boat to save a life!
RipCity

--
19 May 2014 09:28 PM
Awesome. Thanks for all the responses. I believe I was 2 pts short on the asvab, but I will have to double check in DA. I anticipate being stationed on a cutter after integration, that seems to be the trend right now for the reservists who are integrating right now. I'm excited for that, and feel like I could strike BM semi quickly and be able to adapt pretty easily, but is there a lot of opportunity on cutter for prospective airman? Will I be able to find resources to get a better idea of the aviation rates while being a SN on the larger cutters if I am assigned to one?

Also an aet buddy of mine seems to think that I could possibly get my name on the amt list right away once I report (and after the physical) due to my 4 years of service in the reserves, has anyone heard of this being the case?
Trusted Member
Gears

--
20 May 2014 05:47 AM
Nothing more awesome than pulling into a 20 foot hover over a fishing boat to save a life!

Climbing over the side of a fishing boat to investigate why the crew isn't responding on the radio in the middle of the night while they navigate into a major shipping channel has its merits.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
ejhcougar

--
20 May 2014 08:56 PM
It certainly does Gears, but I spent enough time in the Bering Sea on my cutter to know that I, and the people around me, are much happier and more effective in the air. I will leave the boat work to the guys who don't get sea sick...plus we are a little spoiled in aviation.
USMC2USCG

--
23 May 2014 09:05 AM
Hello all, I am a Veteran Marine and am looking to transition into the Coast Guard. I spoke with a recruiter about AMT, but wanted to get experiences from people who actually do the job day in and out. Please be straight forward with any responses. I know that ill have to go through bootcamp again, be reduced in rank to E-3, and will have to wait until a school opens up.

whats daily life like?
Deployments? Where to?
Rate of advancement?
Will have to be worried about getting forced out due to a lack of promotions? (6 years in at E-4)
How often are you in the air?
Any specialized units you can join?
Most boring thing about it?
Any awesome stories?

I really appreciate any responses.
Thanks,
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
ejhcougar

--
24 May 2014 02:51 PM
Daily life: We work one of three shifts, 7-3, 3-11, 11-7 ish. You will also stand duty if you are on day shift, once every 4 or so days. Daily life is a little different for each airframe, so if you have one you are interested in specifically go ahead and ask.
Deployments: Depends on the unit and type of aircraft. The H60's in cape cod recently have gone to Puerto rico and the Bahamas. In Kodiak they go to barrow and cold bay. C-130s go to costa rica, japan, Ireland, all over really. H65's attaché to cutters and go world wide as well.
Rate of Advancement: right now for AMT it is very slow, but the rate just went critical so it SHOULD be getting better. We actually have several prior service marines that are on the block for high year tenure, however its a board process so being prior service and AMT they have a good chance of being ok, but who knows.
How often are we in the air: to maintain flight pay you MUST fly 4 hours per month. Average is 12 ish and some people are flying 40-50 hrs per month. It is dependent on aircraft and qualifications.
Specialized Units: There is HITRON in Jacksonville florida. They are an anti narcotics force out of 65's. There is also an AUF program for the H60 and H65 that is for anti-terrorism. Currently it is not budgeted for next fiscal year, so that program is up in the year. The new commandant is very pro aviation special missions so we are hoping to get more opportunities in the future.
Most Boring: Line crew. It is a fact of life, and its duty. The time it takes to become a qualified flight mechanic is long, but worth it in the end.
Awesome Stories: There are tons, too many to even list.
MisterGuardian

--
15 Jun 2014 11:12 AM
My question, for both this rate and AET, is do you have to be enlisted? I'm looking in to going to the Academy, but I want to either be an Aviation Technician or a figure in LE.
Trusted Member
Gears

--
15 Jun 2014 12:47 PM
There's no need to double poat. Your question was answered in another thread.
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
15 Jun 2014 04:41 PM
Those are enlisted ratings. See your other post for more in depth.
Sector NY, Staten Island
RPOST

--
04 Jul 2014 04:27 PM
I am a FN at a small boat station and am debating wether to put my name on the MK list or AMT. Besides what engineering i have learned here on the boats i have no prior mechanical experience but am very interested in it. Anybody have any suggestions on why i should/shouldn't go AMT?
Trusted Member
Gears

--
05 Jul 2014 08:57 PM
There's a world of difference between MKs and AMTs. I would recommend you contact a few AMTs, ask your chain of command about spending a couple days at the nearest Airsta to get a feel. If you really want to fly go AMT. All joking aside, the only real downside for me would be the limited # of units available. There aren't that many Airstas to begin with, and once you're attached to an airframe that limits your options even further (Aviators feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). MKs are attached to every CG unit, so we can go anywhere and do almost anything.
bobblehead

--
11 Jul 2014 04:50 PM
Posted By Someyoungguy on 07 Dec 2013 07:28 AM

So a newer message on the A school list says: "All Avitaion “A” school candidates will receive orders directly to Elizabeth City, NC for training. The AMT/AET course is now 26 weeks in duration, the AST course will be completed in 24 weeks."

Does this mean for poeple with spouses that their spouse will be able to go with them to North Carolina now and collect the BAH for NC during the Airman program and A school?

This question was never responded to and I was ondering the same thing,
bobblehead

--
11 Jul 2014 08:06 PM
nevermind, found my answer here http://www.uscg.org/Forum/aft/16560.aspx#140844 thanks anyway
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
ejhcougar

--
17 Jul 2014 01:31 AM
Just to add in to any potential AMT's yes airstations are limited, but you aren't totally attached to an airframe. The only hard one to get away from is H60's because they are so maintenance intensive that once an AMT is trained, they try not to let them leave, but even then it happens. Something else, we don't have the variety that an MK does in unit choice but there are some specific things only an aviator can do such as Hitron, AUF, Aircrew, Flight Mechanic, basically your aviation specific quals. From my experience, the attitude and mentality is very similar between the two ratings. The job is different though, I don't think any of our boats have jets...so you have to ask yourself, do you want to work in a boat environment or do you want to work in an aviation environment? Aviation is the only thing that is really quite separate from the rest of the Coast Guard. Other ratings and units have more cross training and communication than we do, we are not "in the loop" as much as the surface fleet. Except maybe like the MSRT or Taclets....but no one really knows what the heck they are doing day to day anyway. But an MK could be a part of those units, where are as an aviator would have to jump through hoops to even have a chance.
AztecMatt41

--
31 Jul 2014 09:01 AM
On the A school wait list, why does it say "qualified members" next to AST, AMT and AET?

I'm interested in AMT, but hesitant as to what life would be like for 2 years as a non-rate.
Trusted Member
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
mkelly

--
31 Jul 2014 05:00 PM
Qualified members are those who have had their flight physical completed and all other prerequisites signed off. You can be on the list but still have an administrative hold. The wait time might be longer if you are not a qualified member. Everybody on this forum will tell you not to make your decision based on the wait time. Making your decision based on wait time is probably the worst first decision you can make in the Coast Guard.
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
ejhcougar

--
31 Jul 2014 11:24 PM
Life would be much better as a non rate for 2 years than a non rate for 4, which is what the wait was up until recently. Non rate life isn't bad and everyone is right, don't judge your career based off a wait time. To be "qualified" you have to have an approved flight physical and a secret level security clearance. You can't go to school until that happens.
Basic Member
Basic Member
aztecmatt

--
07 Aug 2014 10:37 AM
Thanks, guys. As a non-rate, at an airstation, would I be able to be involved with anything aviation related?
Basic Member
Basic Member
Lance

--
07 Aug 2014 11:09 AM
Nope, We don't even have non-rates at my airstation.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 4 << < 1234 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement