Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
AST-AVIATION SURVIVAL TECHNICIAN
Last Post 30 Sep 2018 05:13 PM by CPORJM. 594 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 20 << < 12345 > >>
Author Messages
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
CaptNick

--
24 Apr 2010 04:03 PM
Is the wait time for AST A-School so short (as compared to the others) because of the fact that most cant "qualify" to get on the list?

I read the wait time is 8-12 months.

Future Coastie Coming in 2011

Basic Member
Basic Member
proudUSCGpop

--
24 Apr 2010 05:57 PM
My son graduated in AST class 77-09 back in December. He enlisted in April of 07 and graduated December of 09, so almost two years. He didn't have too many delays, his flight physical was done after basic that took a little while to get the NPY off his name. Instead of 4 months in the airman program he was 7 due to a training injury and class scheduling. Once he got his name on the list ~Oct 07 he went to A-School in August 09. I believe getting on the list is the easy part, getting through the airman program and then eventually A-School is the tough part.

Richard
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
CaptNick

--
24 Apr 2010 08:31 PM
Wait so once the airman program is complete, you go directly into A-School?

Basic Member
Basic Member
proudUSCGpop

--
24 Apr 2010 09:40 PM
Correct, you spend 4 months at an active air station working with the ASTs completing your airman syllabus (PT, swimming, other air related duties). They get you ready for and make the recommendation if you are are ready to go to A-school. All together it is an 8 month process, 4 months in the airman's program and then 4 months at A-School.

Disclaimer --- I'm not in the Coast Guard just the father of an active duty AST. If I've said something wrong please correct me.

Richard
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
CaptNick

--
24 Apr 2010 10:05 PM
So that waiting list is really the waiting list to get into the Airman program. I get it.

Does it matter if your already at an air station? Curious if they prefer to take people that are already there than someone that's on a cutter.

Basic Member
Basic Member
disciplecore

--
25 Apr 2010 09:04 PM
prouduscgpop is right, but the waiting list is for ast a school you just get orders around four months prior to you A-school class date and go to the airman program which is 4 months before your class date, ive known people to get orders being in the 70's and then people that are in the single digits and still waiting most due to no spots in a program, usually its around number 30 and if you got all your required paperwork finished, They don't care where you are stationed you get sent to the air station closest to where you are stationed if they have an open spot.

http://www.uscg.mil/epm/docs/A-SchoolList.pdf

http://www.uscg.mil/epm/AO/AirmanProgram.asp

if you look at the projected class dates above you will understand how it works.

Hope it helped

"The only easy day was yesterday"

<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 4/28/2010 10:13:02 AM GMT

"The only easy day was yesterday"
Basic Member
Basic Member
USCGforMe

--
16 Jun 2010 03:20 PM
Question regarding orders and my Dependent -

When I get orders to the Airman Program, will my BAH be based on my current duty station or where my Airman Program is?

Thanks,
Shawn

(formerly USCGforMe)
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
wepprop

--
16 Jun 2010 04:23 PM
IIRC, you get PCS orders to the Airman Program.
Basic Member
Basic Member
USCGforMe

--
26 Jun 2010 06:49 PM
Couple of questions:

4x25 Underwaters during the week 1 'In-Test' - do you have to tread water between each underwater length? In other words, do you swim the first 25, tread water for the prescribed 90sec rest period, then swim the next 25? I thought I read this somewhere, something about not being aloud to touch the pool edge/wall between lengths, and wanted to verify. I've gotten to the point where I can do a 25 underwater no prob, but I haven't added the water tread between each length. I would imagine it will make it that much more difficult to gain your breath back.

That leads me to another question - is there a certain type of water tread method they teach/prefer at the airman program/A-School? I would assume it would be an egg-beater type leg kick with hand sculling? Anyone know?

Just wanted to make sure I'm training the right way, or at least as close to right as I can be without a mentor.

For those who knew about my hand injury - I recently took a trip to visit a USCG Flight Surgeon and got the green-light on my flight status, so my career finally gets to move on! I submitted my 'A' school request this past Tuesday, after almost 6 months of being injured. Ugh!

This is good news, as if I would've been denied flight status due to my injury I probably would've ended my enlistment. Aviation is the only route I'm interested in, and I can't wait to continue down the path.

Thanks in advance.
Trusted Member
captkyguy

--
12 Jul 2010 06:44 AM
Totally AWESOME about your recovery USCGforMe...that is great to hear.

I wish you the very best and all the succss in the world!
I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
daou

--
19 Jul 2010 03:03 PM
Im 17 and planning to join the coast guard when I'm 19
is there an age requirement for AST?
and two more things, I will most likely be EMT certified before I join the coast guard, will this help my chances for getting into AST
and I read somewhere that having dual citizenship disqualifies you from joining a bunch of ratings (I have dual citizenship born and raised American but have a Dutch citizenship through my mom) should this be a concern?
thanks
Trusted Member / Administrator
chukles

--
19 Jul 2010 04:22 PM
Daou, If you are enlisted, then you meet the age requirement. Your EMT certificate is an awesome achievement, but has no bearing on you getting into the AST program. Your ASVAB scores are the initial cut.

I answered your dual citizen question on your other post.

I wish you the best!
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
Ohm

--
28 Jul 2010 07:44 PM
USCGforMe, your BAH during the airman program will depend on which operational Air Station you are at, not your current duty station. If you have a dependent, upon successful completion of the airman program you will TDY to A School and will maintain the same BAH during that time. Hope that helps.

ProudUSCGpop, I knew I recognized your avatar photo! My husband graduated with your son; The two of them were real buddies down in E City. Small world, huh?

To all the people wondering what they need to do to be prepared for the Airman program and A School, I think the best thing you can do is stay focused, work out in the pool and in the gym as much as possible and do not listen to the negative things people say. Try not to worry about the airman syllabus, you will learn all about it and what is required of you specifically when you get to the air station. Yes, there will be people who run faster than you or swim better, but if you want it badly enough and are willing to do the work necessary to be an AST then failure will never be an option. Good luck to you all!
Basic Member
Basic Member
proudUSCGpop

--
28 Jul 2010 07:51 PM
Ohm,

It is a small world, my son is standing his first duty as an AST tonight!! He called earlier with the news, his mother and I prayed for his safety and that of the entire crew. Were you the angel who cooked the Thanksgiving dinner for the class 77-10? I have those pictures on my computer and when the screen saver kicks in I laugh at those pictures of the guys in the hotel room watching football and hanging out.

Hope all is well with your husband. I know my son enjoyed catching up with a few of the guys at his EMT training, he said there were guys from his class, and the ones in front and back of his.

Richard
coldwaterkid

--
22 Aug 2010 07:44 AM

hey i know that everyone on here has atleast some insight into the AST training, I am just trying to make up my mind, between AST or another rating. So this is the deal, i can run a 1.5 in 10 mins, i can swim 500meters without a problem. water confidence, its there, i mean i surf and swim. push ups and sit ups, i can do about 45 pushups in a min and about 50 sit ups in a min. i dont know if any of this information is relevent but there it is. i can hold my breath for about half a lenght of a 25m pool.

so what should i consider on making this decision?

and does anyone know where i can get a copy of the  AST Airman Syllabus Part II, and some training tips.

thanks

PasoJack

--
07 Sep 2010 10:18 PM
Well David started his Airman program in SF today! He didn't have far to go from being on the Morgenthau in Alameda. Another chapter begins in the journey of wanting to be a rescue swimmer for the Coast Guard.
Basic Member
Basic Member
proudUSCGpop

--
09 Sep 2010 06:30 PM
Good luck to your son, my son-in-law entered the airman program on Sept 6th in North Bend Oregon. If all goes well they most likely enter A-School in E City at the same time.
Basic Member
Basic Member
USCGforMe

--
12 Sep 2010 12:16 PM
Congrats Paso...I hope the best for your son.

I'm still waiting on my orders!
PasoJack

--
12 Sep 2010 07:41 PM
It would be interesting to know if all Air Stations train the same. David thought he was well prepared and could do the required exercises. He wasn't prepared for the speed in running, the slowness of push ups and chin ups and the lack rest  in between each exercise.  He has a good attitude and the ambition to work it through though. I'm confident that now he knows what they expect of him and working out everyday he should be able to pass the test. Good luck to your son in law,
Basic Member
Basic Member
USCGforMe

--
13 Sep 2010 07:56 PM
Paso,

That's a good question. I heard from one airman that the airman syllabus was administered to him at a 'self motivate' training level, basically meaning he worked out at his pace and had to push himself. That is the complete opposite of what you're describing. I'd rather have someone push me to where I need to be as it's hard to set that limit for yourself if you have no idea what is expected of you.

Basic Member
Basic Member
proudUSCGpop

--
14 Sep 2010 06:34 PM
I heard from my son-in-law that in the very near future the airman program (at least for AST) will all be held at E City. This will ensure that all of the airman participate in the same syllabus and the transition to A-School would be much easier. If all goes well he is slated for the January class and I think he said that the new process begins two classes after him.

Classify this as scuttlebutt, anybody else heard this?

Richard
Basic Member
Basic Member
USCGforMe

--
15 Sep 2010 09:34 PM
ProudPop,

I've heard the same scuttlebutt, from two sources. But I also posted about it on the military.com website and was told not to expect it anytime soon from a member who is definitely a good source:
http://forums.military.com/eve/foru...0091352001

So, we'll see. I'd actually prefer to go to E-City for the Airman program as I feel I could benefit from being right next to the actual A-school students.

I'm a self-motivated person, but it is always helpful to know how high the bar needs to be.

Keep us posted on your son's progress!

Basic Member
Basic Member
Wisper7

--
05 Oct 2010 10:13 PM
Ok, I know I've got a long ways to go before I can even put my name on ths AST list (If I decide to) as I don't ship till january. HOwever, I have some questions that I figured could be cleared up earlier than later.

1. It was mentioned above about diving for bricks. How deep are the pools? I can swim fine, the issue is my ears. I can equalize them alright, but my left ear just takes a bit of time and the deeper it is the harder it is. A couple months ago I punctured my eardrum because I went too low (14 ft.) and couldn't equalize. I'm guessing the pool is that deep, but if I can go slow enough it should be all right...the questions, how deep, and how fast must you do it?

Is rescue swimming, the non rate version, easier to get -- easier meaning you don't have to wait as long for the list, etc..

3. How much EMT does an emt do on a rescue? This is just so I can get a sense of if I want to do it or not. Is it just using a dfibrillator, cpr, iv, etc? Or do they expect you to pretty much be a fullout MD until you land (not sure what else they could do though)?

Lastly, since it is a physically challanging rating, how hard is it to switch ratings once one gets into one? I suppose one can be an OS (but I might be wrong) at a much older age than an AST, as the physical level is so much higher. Am I expected to retire or just train others when I get too "old", or can I go to OCS or switch rates at that point?
pmriley

--
06 Oct 2010 11:20 PM
My dtr. Will be leaving for bootcamp soon. Her dream is to become a CG rescue swimmer. My question is: why are there not more female rescue swimmers? Is it lack of upper-body strength or are there just not many females that go for it? Also, does body type matter? Thanks for the help. We are excited to be beginning our CG journey.
Basic Member
Basic Member
USCGforMe

--
08 Oct 2010 02:35 PM
Wisper,
From what I've gathered, EMT is just an EMT basic, not paramedic. I believe they have some flight docs and surgeons in the uscg but that's not an ast duty. With that said you will likely be the only chance of living for several people so if stressful situations are not something you are comfortable with you may consider something else.
As for brick swims I think it is ten or twelve feet but im not sure.
Surface swimmer is a qualification you can get not a rating. It requires swimming but won't be nearly as in depth as ast. If you go to a cutter or station, you should be able to get the qual once your other quals are done.

Pmriley,
Women tend to lack the upper body strength but that's not to say they can't build it. Several women have made it.
There are definitely a lot less women who try, so the number who pass is mathematically lower. If you look at the school list there could be 120 ppl and only three or four appear to have female names.

Ive met five ast's and they have all varied in size and shape. An athletic person will have an advantage but I know short skinny guys who are swimmers. Determination and refusing to quit seems to be a big part of it.

All of this is from an ast applicant, not a student or ast yet, soon enough! But take it for what its worth, and let me know if I can try to answer anything else.
Basic Member
Basic Member
Wisper7

--
08 Oct 2010 03:52 PM
Thanks USCGforme. I think I can handle stressful situations, but I guess I"ll find out at bootcamp I was more asking because I am not the greatest person at remembering the names of all bones, arteries, symptoms, etc.. I am fine with EMT basics, just don't really want to be a fullout doctor.

I'll have to look into the surface swimmer qual if I get on a cutter, that sounds fun.
pmriley

--
09 Oct 2010 07:02 PM
Thanks USCGforme. I was just curious. What do most people do if they don't make it as a rescue swimmer? I know my dtr wants on the water 24/7.
Basic Member
Basic Member
USCGforMe

--
11 Oct 2010 12:54 PM
Posted By pmriley on 09 Oct 2010 08:02 PM
Thanks USCGforme. I was just curious. What do most people do if they don't make it as a rescue swimmer? I know my dtr wants on the water 24/7.

From what I have gathered, if the person WANTS to be an AST, and they fail out of the school - they try again

I know a few people who have washed out. Most are due to injuries in school that set them back a few weeks, thus causing them to miss important training. They are sent back to the fleet and have to go through the 'A' school list again, so it can take some time. Another one I know was an MK2, wanted to go AST so he went to the school. He blacked out underwater and got released, and now he's back as an MK.

A few others have made it almost all the way through only to have a 'bad day', and get sent home. The people I know who had this happened also tried again (or are waiting to try again). One bad day can ruin it all. I've heard rumors that they are trying to change the school so that you can be 'reverted' or 'held back' a week to strengthen your weak areas, similar to basic training, but there's nothing in writing yet. It would be cost effective to do this as it would prevent several government travel/move claims, prevent students from having to get re-qualified at a brand new unit after they fail and are transferred, etc. If a person wants it bad enough though, they will reapply, wait a while, and try again.

BMs do a lot of on the water rescues...as do any other rates who are boat crew qualified. It's tough to say what to recommend for your daughter if she doesn't make it as a swimmer. To be honest, they best advice I can give you is to support her as a rescue swimmer hopeful. The positive encouragement and thinking will help her get the mindset needed to pass. From what I've gathered, half of the battle is simply refusing to fail.

Good luck to her!
EWARD

--
21 Oct 2010 09:10 PM
Just wondering if any one here knows any women who are AST's?

I've been considering doing AST more and more as that is the original reason I wanted to be apart of the Coast Guard because the USCG allows women to go out for any job. I know it's a lot harder for a woman to become a AST based just alone on our bodies. But I'm 5'10" and already have extremely good upper body strength and can do pullups/chinups with ease so I'm thinking I might stand a decent change at making it as an AST if I work hard and train hard and just mentally want it more than anything.

But yeah I was just wondering if anyone knows any women AST's I could talk to about it? Or if there is one on this forum?

-Elizabeth
Basic Member
Basic Member
USCGforMe

--
23 Oct 2010 01:52 PM
Posted By EWARD on 21 Oct 2010 10:10 PM
Just wondering if any one here knows any women who are AST's?

I've been considering doing AST more and more as that is the original reason I wanted to be apart of the Coast Guard because the USCG allows women to go out for any job. I know it's a lot harder for a woman to become a AST based just alone on our bodies. But I'm 5'10" and already have extremely good upper body strength and can do pullups/chinups with ease so I'm thinking I might stand a decent change at making it as an AST if I work hard and train hard and just mentally want it more than anything.

But yeah I was just wondering if anyone knows any women AST's I could talk to about it? Or if there is one on this forum?

-Elizabeth

I don't personally know any, but I do know that last year there was one acting out-of-rate as a recruiter in San Diego or San Francisco. You may want to contact your recruiter and see if you can find a way to contact her. If she is still a recruiter, I'm sure she'd be glad to speak with you.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 20 << < 12345 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement