Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
AST-AVIATION SURVIVAL TECHNICIAN
Last Post 07 Sep 2017 12:07 PM by sardaddy. 585 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 20 of 20 << < 1617181920
Author Messages
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
19 Apr 2017 02:14 PM
Everyone is in a position to choose their rate. Hence the saying choose your rate, choose your fate. A fair amount of information translates to no information at all. You can't get AST guaranteed so you will go into the fleet as a nonrate. At that time you can look at the rating, meet people like MKelly and Lance, let them tell you quite a bit more than a fair amount. Also consider looking at YN, OS, FS, BM, MK any rate in the CG. You are given that opportunity, take advantage of it. You are not pigeon holed into something before even starting boot camp. I'm not saying AST isn't the route you'll take but be certain that is what you want. Make sure you look around and weigh all your options.

If you approach AST thinking well, I could have a backup plan... just go with that backup. It is the toughest school in the CG. I hate to take away anything from the other rates but it is grueling. If you already start thinking about something else, you'll be doomed. Also, if you start think when I flunk, I can go back. No, think I want this, I will do this, nothing will get in my way. However, to answer your question, there are instances where a nonrate can come back to AST school for a second try. There are a only a few limited ways that can happen. It is also up to the school case by case. Your buddy may not make it and be invited to try again, you may not make it and they might say you need to find another path. There is no black and white answer to that question.
Sector NY, Staten Island
esung002

--
19 Apr 2017 03:16 PM
Hello, 

I appreciate your response! My main concern was; Where would I end up if I don't pass AST school. You've answered it. Thanks!
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
ebee

--
19 Apr 2017 05:21 PM
Just FYI, there is now a guaranteed AST A School program available to recruits. You will obviously need to get all the details from a recruiter, but the gist of it is that your recruiter has to verify that you can pass a PT pre-screen, you ship to boot camp where you will have to pass another PT pre-screen, then you are sent to an air station for 4 months where you will be able to prepare for AST A School (in addition to regular non-rate duties, I assume), then you go to A School.
Rod999

--
03 Jun 2017 06:45 PM
Hi all, so I am extremely interested in AST and was wondering what the process for boot camp is like specifically. My recruiter has told me that they can test you for it during boot and if you pass send you to an airstation immediately after boot to prep for a-school. I was wondering specifically how this happens? Do the instructors have to specifically pick you to test for it in boot based on your pt results or can you simply say you want to test for it at some point? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can pass all the requirements regarding the basic pft test as well as the ast specific one, I was just wondering if I should be aiming for specific times/scores in boot to be selected to test for ast.
Trusted Member
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
mkelly

--
03 Jun 2017 11:22 PM
Tell your recruiter that you would like to be in that program. They should set it up in your contract and will probably test you beforehand. I'm sure at some point in boot camp they will ask or already know who is in the program and test you again. Once you pass, you'll be on your merry little way to an Air Station.....the greatest place to work in the Coast Guard.
CC321

--
07 Jun 2017 01:54 PM
Sounds like the candidate screening test is taken before bootcamp and again during bootcamp.

Sounds like people are coming into bootcamp under prepared for the screening test. My recruiter told me that 5 of 6 of the last applicants failed their screening in bootcamp. 

My thought is that they must have tested incorrectly before boot or performed poorly under pressure in bootcamp.

Has anyone out there taken the candidate screening test at bootcamp recently? 

The two things that are a bit unclear to me are with the 25m underwaters. 

Is it a 2-minute maximum rest after the 450m swim? 

Are wall pushes allowed for the underwater swims?

I understand that the idea is to over prepare, so that's the plan, but I feel like a lot of guys must be overlooking something.  I mean... the screening test is after all a test that you're given the answers to beforehand so it'd be a kick in the teeth to fail it. 

Basic Member
Basic Member
Lance

--
07 Jun 2017 05:30 PM
Does your recruiter have the screening sheet? That would be your best answer. During our PT test we are allowed to push off the wall but things can be different for you guys. Train the hardest way, don't push off the wall, take 90 sec rest instead of 2 mins, etc... This will prepare you for whats ahead. You will be surprised on day 1 of Swimmer school how many guys can barely pass the in test.
CC321

--
07 Jun 2017 07:33 PM
I have a printed version of the screening test.  I'll post a link once I find one, or I'll scan the paper copy when I get a chance.  I believe that the 2-minute max rest is for between pushups, sit-ups, pull-ups and chin-ups.  But I'm just not sure if that max rest period goes for after the 450m swim and before the 25m unders.  It clearly states that in between each of the 4, 25m underwater swims there is a 90-second rest period.

As you said, I'll just plan on doing it the hard way.  I tried it that way today and popped on my 4th length.  FAIL

I think my weak point right now is doing hypoxic sets.  Need to keep getting reps in I guess to develop a more relaxed swim stroke.  The frustration is motivating and the bar keeps moving, so I'm enjoying the process.

Having you guys as a resource is awesome and it's greatly appreciated.  
Trusted Member
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
mkelly

--
09 Jun 2017 08:19 AM
The two minute max rest is after every full evolution. It goes after your 450 meter swim. You get 90 seconds after each under water though. If there was an evolution after all 4 under waters, you would get 2 minutes at the end of the 4th under water.
And let me tell you something: everybody has a hard time with the under waters. Thats pretty much why people quit. Once you get to school, you'll be wishing for that 90 seconds rest.
Like Lance said, its really surprising at the amount of people that struggle with the PT in test. If you don't pass it the first day, you're just going to get more and more tired and have a harder time as the days go on.
CC321

--
09 Jun 2017 12:13 PM
Got it. Thanks for the insight.
sako_hopar

--
08 Jul 2017 12:31 PM
Posted By CC321 on 07 Jun 2017 02:54 PM
Sounds like the candidate screening test is taken before bootcamp and again during bootcamp.

Sounds like people are coming into bootcamp under prepared for the screening test. My recruiter told me that 5 of 6 of the last applicants failed their screening in bootcamp. 

My thought is that they must have tested incorrectly before boot or performed poorly under pressure in bootcamp.

Has anyone out there taken the candidate screening test at bootcamp recently? 

The two things that are a bit unclear to me are with the 25m underwaters. 

Is it a 2-minute maximum rest after the 450m swim? 

Are wall pushes allowed for the underwater swims?

I understand that the idea is to over prepare, so that's the plan, but I feel like a lot of guys must be overlooking something.  I mean... the screening test is after all a test that you're given the answers to beforehand so it'd be a kick in the teeth to fail it. 

I just finished boot camp, and although I was not in this program as I did not know about it I do know 3 recruits who were.  To answer your questions from what I gathered from them....

The reason they did not pass from your prediction is that they were under stress... NO.  They are not put under too much stress during the tests.  Granted, the test is administered the first Friday, so they may still be in that stage of shock, but generally speaking, that would not be the reason they failed.

The 25 minute under waters are go like this--Push off the wall to the middle of the 50M pool, rest the allotted then back to wall without a push off.  So you get to push off on 2 of the 4 underwaters.

Not sure about the rest time after the 450M, but that should be easy without being tired at the end anyway. 
Basic Member
Basic Member
sunny717

--
06 Sep 2017 04:28 AM
PRAY FOR:
All of our service personnel who will be going out after Irmas fury in PR and other places.
Especially the first responders, pilots, and crew, ground personnel. 
That the suffrage would be minimal. 
That God would have mercy on us.
For my son who just celebrated his 8th year as an AST, who is stationed in PR.
For his wife and little children as he is on duty away from them.
Thanx in advance.   -CG Mom & Dad

Sunny
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
06 Sep 2017 12:36 PM
You got it, prayers for all of them to be safe... Prayers for your daughter in law and grands. I hope they are all safe. Please let us know when all is said and done they are all ok.
Sector NY, Staten Island
Basic Member
Basic Member
sunny717

--
06 Sep 2017 01:48 PM
My son just called, he's home. They are having 40mph winds right now(1500) at USCG Air Station Borinquen, Puerto Rico. His truck is in the big hangar with all helos 65, 60 c130's smaller fixed wing aircraft and support vehicles. I have a great picture of the hangar but I'm not allowed to post it. They are starting out this weekend in the USVI and work themselves up to Fla. May take weeks away from home. He's qualified for 65 and 60 helo rescues.  Keep praying.
Sunny
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
06 Sep 2017 03:35 PM
I've seen the picture. It is on several groups on Facebook. It looks like controlled chaos. I know they know what they're doing. But wow! Prayers for him to be safe out there.
Sector NY, Staten Island
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
sardaddy

--
07 Sep 2017 12:07 PM
parking in the hangar is the standard for hurricanes going through PR. Did it a few times when I was stationed in Borinquen. It is well orchestrated chaos that gets response aircraft around the island, not just CG, in there so they are ready to go once the storm passes. It was nice when they let us park our personal vehicles as well.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 20 of 20 << < 1617181920

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement