Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
AST-AVIATION SURVIVAL TECHNICIAN
Last Post 30 Sep 2018 05:13 PM by CPORJM. 594 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 20 << < 12345 > >>
Author Messages
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
southern118

--
24 Oct 2010 06:22 PM
I do know for a fact there is one starting training very soon or already there. i will have to check with a few people but last time i heard she was doing the airman program at E city. the only thing to realize is there is no different standard when it comes to the physical or mental side. you will have to be able to swim, push up, situps and everything else the same as a guy. if you dont you wont make it
EWARD

--
24 Oct 2010 06:35 PM
Posted By southern118 on 24 Oct 2010 07:22 PM
I do know for a fact there is one starting training very soon or already there. i will have to check with a few people but last time i heard she was doing the airman program at E city. the only thing to realize is there is no different standard when it comes to the physical or mental side. you will have to be able to swim, push up, situps and everything else the same as a guy. if you dont you wont make it

Thanks for the info y'all. I know that I have to pass the same fitness standards as the men which I expect. But also is why I was trying to see if anyone here knew any AST women or women in the airman program because I was really going to ask just in general what they did to build their muscle up to be comparable to men. I'm 5'10" so I've built up my muscle pretty good and I think my height advantage and broad shoulders most defiantly will help compared to someone who has a smaller frame plus just the time I have to train before I even get to go into the Airman Program but I was just trying to find out some work out ideas. I'm doing daily swim training, under water/hold breath type training at the bottom of the pool, running, and then general work outs like pullups/chinups/situps/pushups/flutter kicks to build myself up but am trying to find any other work outs I should be doing. Any certain workouts any of you use that you suggest?
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
southern118

--
25 Oct 2010 09:46 AM
she was a beast but she still had a nice body not real muscaler unless she was working out
Basic Member
Basic Member
USCGforMe

--
26 Oct 2010 09:40 PM
Posted By EWARD on 24 Oct 2010 07:35 PM
Posted By southern118 on 24 Oct 2010 07:22 PM

Thanks for the info y'all. I know that I have to pass the same fitness standards as the men which I expect. But also is why I was trying to see if anyone here knew any AST women or women in the airman program because I was really going to ask just in general what they did to build their muscle up to be comparable to men. I'm 5'10" so I've built up my muscle pretty good and I think my height advantage and broad shoulders most defiantly will help compared to someone who has a smaller frame plus just the time I have to train before I even get to go into the Airman Program but I was just trying to find out some work out ideas. I'm doing daily swim training, under water/hold breath type training at the bottom of the pool, running, and then general work outs like pullups/chinups/situps/pushups/flutter kicks to build myself up but am trying to find any other work outs I should be doing. Any certain workouts any of you use that you suggest?
Are you already in the USCG?

If so, look at the 'A' School List, click on the Airman website link, and then find the Airman Syllabus and Airman Syllabus II. In the part II, you will find the Airman Program workout routine. If you can do those exercises in the time prescribed, then you meet the standard for an AST 'A' school applicant. That's not to say that you WILL make it through the school, but you meet the minimum requirement that they expect of their new students.

If you are in the USCG, send me a PM on here with your email address and I'll send you the link to the airman syllabus on the USCG Intranet.

Good luck!

pgarlock07

--
07 Nov 2010 01:56 PM
Does all of AST school take place in Elizabeth City or do you go off site for any training in places like Washington or Oregon? Also, about the underwater 25yd swims, do you do these without touching walls and treading water in between each 25?
Basic Member
Basic Member
proudUSCGpop

--
13 Nov 2010 11:19 AM
After successfully passing the airman training the future AST attends a 16 week A school entirely at Elizabeth City. Upon graduation you go to your duty station at which time you get our qualifications done so you can stand duty as an AST. My son recently graduated and now stands duty as a swimmer. So far he has been to EMT school and the advanced rescue swimmer training in Astoria Oregon. I believe both of those schools are classified as C School (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Not sure about the underwater swims, but I do remember watching the baby class swim at my son's graduation and the pool did have a shallow end where the students stood between laps.
mikejr

--
21 Nov 2010 05:05 PM
Just have a quick question A school. My wife will not leave me alone about being able to visit me. So my question is. Will there be a time and chance for her to visit or stay with me while im in training? Thanks for your help and answers
mikejr

--
21 Nov 2010 05:31 PM
Im currently questioning what rate i want. How does deployment work with AST and what is a average day for an AST
Basic Member
Basic Member
disciplecore

--
07 Dec 2010 01:18 AM
Yes you have to do underwater swims without toughing the wall in the deep end. that will be the least of your worries, try 'over unders' half distance of pool then go underwater other half then pop up swim back half way go under etc 400yds in under 4min 30 sec those suck especially if your class doesnt make it in under 430 or if you or somebody pops., i remember we did like 17 underwaters in a row with minimal rest because of popping etc lol if you are wanting to become an ast work on your flutter kick its key to graduating and get comfortable getting manhandled in the water. I was a navy rescue swimmer and i did airman program and got to week 5 in ast a school i got medically dissenrolled due to an infected toe basically i am going back soon on the list again soon. anyways a lots about to change for the ast a school come next year new facility by nov and new airman program airman will go to e city for 3 months which means your wifes can come etc...
"The only easy day was yesterday"
Basic Member
Basic Member
USCGforMe

--
08 Dec 2010 03:09 PM
Quick,

Sorry to hear you got medically disenrolled.

It seems that if you make it to school, either you fail the multi, or you get sick/injured....or you pass. It's a shame that you have to go back to the bottom of the list though.

You'll get it next time!

In regards to the over/unders, are you in gear or no?

Thanks for the pointers.

AC218463

--
08 Dec 2010 10:08 PM
i broke my collarbone 6 weeks ago and now have a plate and screws that do not need to be removed......would this be a problem for me getting into AST
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
09 Dec 2010 08:15 AM
Are you already in the CG? If not, it will stop you from gaining entry at all.
Sector NY, Staten Island
AC218463

--
11 Dec 2010 11:50 AM
Posted By Old Guard2 on 09 Dec 2010 09:15 AM
Are you already in the CG? If not, it will stop you from gaining entry at all.

no I am not...I thought the way I read it it was only disqualifying if it had to be removed or was symptomatic. According to the below qualifications I didnt think I would have a problem.

Current retained hardware that is symptomatic, interferes with proper wearing of protective equipment or military uniform, and/or is subject to easy trauma, is disqualifying (V53.7).

Retained hardware (733.99) (including plates, pins, rods, wires, or screws used for fixation) is not disqualifying if fractures are healed, ligaments are stable, there is no pain, and it is not subject to easy trauma.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
pepperdoggie

--
11 Dec 2010 03:10 PM
The reality is it will probably require a medical waiver which is very difficult to obtain. Have you talked with a recruiter?
Make sure you collect ALL your medical documents and have them available.
AC218463

--
11 Dec 2010 04:13 PM
I have only talked to a recruiter to the extent that he sent me an application to fill out, I still have one more doctors appointment in February untill im cleared, thinking I should wait till then to send in the app.

Thanks for the info
Basic Member
Basic Member
disciplecore

--
12 Dec 2010 05:52 PM
This is stuff you will be able to do as an Airman before ast a school this is me doing a sar demo in Portland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAawfLQZXmA
Basic Member
Basic Member
sunny717

--
13 Dec 2010 12:16 PM
Disciplecore
That was a great video, the best I've seen.
If that doesn't whet your appetite to become an AST.
I can feel the excitement.
Thanx for sharing.
Sunny
Basic Member
Basic Member
USCGforMe

--
21 Dec 2010 03:03 PM
Any updates from the airmen or ASTs? Surely these storms have required some rescues...
Basic Member
Basic Member
sunny717

--
22 Dec 2010 03:15 PM
Nothing to report on my end.
Just that Erich was dropped down on the Dong Fang Ocean, formerly Exxon Valdez for some kind of rescue. I'll try to find out more when he calls again.
The Kodiak adventure continues.
Sunny
Basic Member
Basic Member
sunny717

--
30 Dec 2010 09:09 AM
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

Kodiak ASTs 2010
Sunny
Basic Member
Basic Member
USCGforMe

--
30 Dec 2010 03:43 PM
Posted By sunny717 on 30 Dec 2010 10:09 AM
Merry Chistmas & Happy New Year

Kodiak ASTs 2010

Thanks for sharing Sunny.

I hope you and yours had a Merry Christmas and an even better New Year!

SN Q
GOOSE

--
04 Jan 2011 08:14 AM
Hey I'm on the A school list for AST and I was reading your post and was wondering what over and unders are. Is the half and halfs? Half underwater and half free style? Also is there anything I should definately be able to do before the airman program? They get you pretty much ready right? Also, how long did it take for your physical to pass? That's all I'm waiting for. I got in done and it's now just a waiting game.
GOOSE

--
04 Jan 2011 09:14 AM
My name is on the A school list and I've gotten my flight physical done already. I've been training before I got my physical and about two weeks ago I got so burnt out. I had been swimming and working out and swimming and working out. I still have no idea what's going on with my physical so it's hard for me to get motivated right now. Does anybody have any idea how long it takes to find out when you're flight physical got approved. Once know, I'l know how much time I have until I go to the airman program and start busting ass again but right now, motivation is hard to come by.
Also, does the airman program adaquately prepare you for A school? Is there anything I NEED to be able to do before I go to school? I already have the syllabus so I know what is going to be asked I'm just wondering if I know or am able to do something better before I go would it benifit me.
GOOSE

--
04 Jan 2011 09:40 AM
Hey are you still on the list or have you gone to A school yet?
Basic Member
Basic Member
disciplecore

--
05 Jan 2011 10:23 PM
Update:! I will be entering week 13 of the airman program monday i got medically dis enrolled end of week 4 In Ast A school due to infected toe etc, Im back at my station and will head back over to the airman program mondayt, i didnt have to put my name back on the list this is aweosme!
Basic Member
Basic Member
bikesnotscott

--
05 Jan 2011 11:13 PM
That is awesome news disciplecore!
Basic Member
Basic Member
USCGforMe

--
06 Jan 2011 10:06 PM
Quick,

That is awesome!

Any idea why they decided to send you back to the airman program in lieu of going back to your prior unit? I'm not saying you aren't worthy because I'm sure you are...just curious how you got that route.

It would make sense (to me) if they did that for anyone who was medically disenrolled, but they felt was capable of passing once healed/better. I know people have dropped out of the class for minor illnesses, only to wait 2 more years to get through, and spending how many thousands of Gov't dollars to move three times. Silly...

Good luck bud!

Basic Member
Basic Member
bikesnotscott

--
13 Jan 2011 07:12 PM
curious to see if there are any rescue stories from AIRSTA Cape Cod or anywhere along the east coast with this recent snow storm?
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Eoghan Roe

--
14 Jan 2011 12:02 PM
So my fiancée's grandmother sent us an article she found about a USCG Sniper who fired from helicopters to take out the engines of fast boats and such. Not by any means set on that only, but exploring options.

Would that fall under AST or something else? And with any of the air related crew what are the chances I could even get in with my vision being about 20/40? It is correctable, but I know piloting specifically has very strict rules on that sort of thing.
Basic Member
Basic Member
bikesnotscott

--
14 Jan 2011 04:59 PM
I'm not too sure on the specifics of vision, but to be a pilot you have to be an officer.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 20 << < 12345 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement