Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
AST-AVIATION SURVIVAL TECHNICIAN
Last Post 30 Sep 2018 05:13 PM by CPORJM. 594 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 5 of 20 << < 34567 > >>
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
USCGforMe

--
23 Feb 2011 09:01 PM
Posted By PasoJack on 23 Feb 2011 09:17 PM
Texasdad, David was scheduled for the Jan 6th class and had his orders. His buddy who started 3 weeks before him was not scheduled for that class because he was actually behind David on the A school list. The AST's requested an extension to the Chief so they could both get some more training in and start the Feb class together. It was actually Sept 6 - Feb10. He took some leave and time for travel. I hear there is a day and night class and still might not be in the same class. But at least they will be there at the same time. They are in Florida now and leave in the morning for Elizabeth City!

That's pretty cool that the Chief let him do that!

I was wondering how the 'double classes' worked. It's interesting to hear about a day/night, first I have heard of that.

Keep us posted on his progress! Especially his first impressions!

Thanks,
SNQ
PasoJack

--
01 Mar 2011 10:07 PM
Davids class 88-11 has started. There is a day class with 6 students and night class with 7 students. He is in the night 3pm-11pm. He has 3 instructors. Yesterday was basically a introductory class for both classes and a fitness test. He felt he was in the top 3 for swimming and bottom 3 for running. I was hoping to get a call tonight since we are 3 hours earlier, but maybe tomorrow.
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
02 Mar 2011 05:25 AM
Just wondering... AST school seems hard enough, night AST school???? Is that harder than day school? My personal thought is no matter if you get the same time for sleeping, going to school until 11pm, psychologically you must be more tired. Just curious!
Sector NY, Staten Island
mattchico

--
02 Mar 2011 11:39 AM
Macie, that was my first thought as well. Granted, I am one week away from Cape May and probably about 2 years away from AST A school.
Your 2010 World Champions: The San Francisco Giants
Basic Member
Basic Member
proudUSCGpop

--
03 Mar 2011 05:58 AM
When my son was at E-city there was talk of morning and night classes to help clear some of the backup on the list. His class spent the first 8 weeks in the pool during the morning hours (there were occasional night swims to mix things up). Around week 9 they take their midterm and begin learning the other part of their craft (sewing, rescue equipment) and the next class, the baby, class shows up. The baby class gets the pool in the morning while the junior class gets the pool at night for lap swimming and other light ;-) training.

Does anyone know if the new swim facility got funded and is being built? It was supposed to be quite an upgrade to the existing pool/facility. The instructors did say it was difficult to schedule pool time for the classes at E-city, if I remember there are three classes there at one time. The time the new class show up the seniors are graduating in around a week leaving the junior and baby class using the facilities.

Richard
Basic Member
Basic Member
USCGforMe

--
03 Mar 2011 03:08 PM

Posted By proudUSCGpop on 03 Mar 2011 06:58 AM
When my son was at E-city there was talk of morning and night classes to help clear some of the backup on the list. His class spent the first 8 weeks in the pool during the morning hours (there were occasional night swims to mix things up). Around week 9 they take their midterm and begin learning the other part of their craft (sewing, rescue equipment) and the next class, the baby, class shows up. The baby class gets the pool in the morning while the junior class gets the pool at night for lap swimming and other light ;-) training.

Does anyone know if the new swim facility got funded and is being built? It was supposed to be quite an upgrade to the existing pool/facility. The instructors did say it was difficult to schedule pool time for the classes at E-city, if I remember there are three classes there at one time. The time the new class show up the seniors are graduating in around a week leaving the junior and baby class using the facilities.

Richard

Richard,

The new RSTF (Rescue Swimmer Training Facility) is well underway. I'm not sure what percentage of completion it is currently at, but the first time I saw a projected completion date, it was late this year. Generally, in my experience of construction project management for government projects, these dates are never met...but we'll see!

I FINALLY got my airman orders! I'll be going to school around August if all goes well at the Airman program!

Hopefully I'll get to use the new school towards the end of my training.

Paso, glad to hear your son is doing good at the swimming aspect of it! Keep us posted on his progress.
PasoJack

--
03 Mar 2011 09:49 PM
Congratulations on your Airman orders. I wish you the best. David told us last night that most of the guys there were trained strictly by the syllabus ( by themselves) and didn't get the pool  training and extra workouts with the AST's he got.  I would encourage you to find a pool and swim 3-4 times a week with gear on.  David said it is the hardest thing he has ever done! But he is focused and has a great attitude. There are 3 classes there now, 2 baby classes and 1 senior class that has 8 weeks on them. They take there first test on Monday. He said the morale is great and everyone is looking out for each other. They eat like crazy and drink lots of water!
mermaidmom

--
14 Mar 2011 12:30 PM

Dolphinwings,

Good luck on your goal! My daughter is at boot now, she will graduate in three weeks!  She too wants to be an ast! She actually met the other female ast but did not have a chance to really discuss a lot with her.  She filled out her dream sheet last week so we are eagerly waiting for her next step.  She was always on these boards before boot so she may again.  She worked really hard and did say she was the most athletic of all the other females in her group.  She too was a lifeguard and swim instructor prior to joining and was training for her first triatholon so she feels she is in good shape.  I will keep you posted, if you find it helpful. Again, much luck to you!!

Basic Member
Basic Member
newms

--
14 Mar 2011 01:24 PM
Congratulations, USCGforMe,

Can you tell us how long your wait time has been since you put your name on the AST list up until you go off to the Airman Program?
newms! PATFORSWA
Basic Member
Basic Member
sunny717

--
14 Mar 2011 02:24 PM

Off duty AST3 in St. Paul Ak last two weeks.
Erich put the gun away now.  Dad
Sunny
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
14 Mar 2011 02:45 PM
Nice hunt!!! I haven't done any hunting since we left Alaska and fishing has been pretty scarce too! But I have a good semi-step-son that sends us salmon! Now if I could just convince him to send me some backstrap, too! LOL
Sector NY, Staten Island
Basic Member
Basic Member
sunny717

--
14 Mar 2011 06:18 PM
We are supposed to be getting salmon, halibut and crab. That's been going on for a year now. I don't think we'll ever see any of that. His new duty station will be Barbers Point end of June.
So he's got to get his "hunting"  rocks off now.
Sunny
PasoJack

--
15 Mar 2011 09:03 PM
newms, our son was 1 year exactly! Now in his 3 week at A school. They have lost 2 guys - one twisted his ankle on a run and the other couldn't pass a pool test after 3 times.
Basic Member
Basic Member
proudUSCGpop

--
16 Mar 2011 06:08 PM
Sunny --- So I'm guessing Santa has one less reindeer to pull the sleigh this year...... but what the heck are those other furry creatures? Looks like the one on the left has an horn or antler. That was a quick stay in Alaska for Erich, one extreme in temperature to the other.

PasoJack --- As I remember the early weeks are the toughest, the ones who were not prepared both physically and mentally drop early. In my son's class 2-3 guys suffered dehydration and never fully recovered and eventually dropped. We are keeping your son in prayer, this is a life changing experience.

Richard
Basic Member
Basic Member
newms

--
16 Mar 2011 06:51 PM
Thanks, PasoJack,

I'm rooting for your son.
newms! PATFORSWA
PasoJack

--
16 Mar 2011 10:33 PM
Just talked with David, him and 3 others (out of 12) passed the basket test. He is doing well and keeping an "I will"attitude.  So great for us as parents to hear. He said he was getting his hair cut this weekend but keeping it longer on top for his flat top for graduation. Positive thinking from the youngest and shortest guy there. I know it is early days yet and it will get harder.
Basic Member
Basic Member
sunny717

--
17 Mar 2011 04:36 PM

Those little critters supposed to be Silver Fox. The antlers you see are on the ground, probably from Santas Reindeer. I like to see him smuggle out those antlers. I got a 5 foot baleen whale tooth home that he smuggled out last year. How's Kevin? Any good SARs?
Joe

PasoJack    Hang in there, it's a tough time for both parents and coastie.
Keep praying.

Sunny
Basic Member
Basic Member
USCGforMe

--
18 Mar 2011 09:30 PM
Posted By newms on 14 Mar 2011 02:24 PM
Congratulations, USCGforMe,

Can you tell us how long your wait time has been since you put your name on the AST list up until you go off to the Airman Program?

I reported to my unit in August of 2009, got all of my quals done, decided to finally go AST over AMT (I wasted a month and a half trying to decide which way to go), then injured my hand the day before I submitted my 'A' school application in Feb of 2010.

That took a couple of months to heal and get cleared by a flight surgeon before I finally put my name on the 'A' school list in July of 2010. I'll report to the airman program in April 2011. So, 9 months on the 'A' school list...but I got my flight physical done at basic training. This can make your weight a little longer if you get anything holding you up.

Paso, glad to hear your son is still going strong! I'll have to look him up when I get to 'E-City' (reporting in april).

Sunny, your son will have a blast in Hawaii if he likes offshore fishing. Judging his previous fishing pictures w/halibut, he'll be just fine!

Take care all - I look forward to the updates.

PasoJack

--
19 Mar 2011 09:50 AM
Getting your flight physical is definitely something you should do asap! Especially if you are stationed on a cutter. Had David had the physical before he went to Alaska he would have cut three months off his wait time.

SNQ - You must be excited your number has come up and you're getting closer to A school. You have Airman orders for Elizabeth City? That is nice, you'll be in one place for about eight months. Run as much as you can and more We talked with David last night and one of the guys DOR during running yesterday. He thinks by next week or the next they will be down to four and join the day class.
Basic Member
Basic Member
USCGforMe

--
20 Mar 2011 11:05 AM
Posted By PasoJack on 19 Mar 2011 10:50 AM
Getting your flight physical is definitely something you should do asap! Especially if you are stationed on a cutter. Had David had the physical before he went to Alaska he would have cut three months off his wait time.

SNQ - You must be excited your number has come up and you're getting closer to A school. You have Airman orders for Elizabeth City? That is nice, you'll be in one place for about eight months. Run as much as you can and more We talked with David last night and one of the guys DOR during running yesterday. He thinks by next week or the next they will be down to four and join the day class.

That's correct, I'll be in E-City for airman program and 'A' school. I agree, it will be nice to have it all at one spot. One less move, and one less place to get reacquainted to.

What types of distances are they running? Any idea what time of time limits they have? That would be helpful to gauge where I'm at now.

Thanks in advance!
PasoJack

--
20 Mar 2011 12:00 PM
I will find out from David and see if he will get on this forum and give you some tips. I'm excited for you and your ambition. I see you have waited along time to get this far. What day do you report to the Air Station? I'm not sure but I think you all stay in the dorms in the Doughnut?? I'm sure David would be happy to talk with you. He is a happy expressive His buddy Flick who he trained with in SF and traveled to E-City to start school with, sprained his toe just before school.  They let him work at the air station there and he can start the next school that is scheduled for April 25.  Maybe you will meet him. Where are you stationed now?
Melanie (Munns's Mom)

PasoJack

--
20 Mar 2011 12:11 PM
Richard - Has or did your son in-law go through A school yet?
Basic Member
Basic Member
proudUSCGpop

--
20 Mar 2011 04:33 PM
He was 3 weeks into the airman program and he started to have a problem with his shoulder. They did some tests and determined that he needed to have it surgically repaired. He is doing fine and patiently awaiting champing at the bit to get back in the water. He has to get medically approved before putting his name back on the list, but the surgeon said he didn't think that would be an issue. His recovery is slow, shoulder surgery can be quite a long recovery. I think he can start doing push ups this week.

Richard
PasoJack

--
20 Mar 2011 05:49 PM
That is too bad! He must have been very disappointed. I wish him a full recovery. Unfortunately, we never know what might happen along the way. I'm praying David will stay healthy and able to handle what comes his way.
Melanie
BrandonZ

--
29 Mar 2011 10:21 AM
Does anyone know what AST hours are like, say days on and days off in a week? and hours during the day. and I pretty much think that they are on call 24/7 for a rescue?
Basic Member
Basic Member
proudUSCGpop

--
29 Mar 2011 05:21 PM
At my son's shop they typically stand duty one in four, their typical work day (non duty) is from 0700 - 1600 hours M-F. When they stand duty they are at the base/shop for 24 hours, they do not leave until re-leaved the next day. The air station has quarters where crew members standing duty stay/sleep. When their duty day falls on a weekend (Sat, Sun) they typically get a day off during the week. On his days off he is responsible for staying in a certain radius of the air station in the event the need arises, unless he has a chit allowing him further travel. He did say he is being rotated to the night shift 1500 - 2300 hours. This is not a duty shift, it is a normal work day where they would do normal activities in support of the air station (workout, repair rescue equipment, other shop tasks).

Richard
PasoJack

--
29 Mar 2011 09:31 PM
A school update - Davids class is down to three left!  My prayers and his determination is keeping him there. They are in their 5th week and will merge with the day class next week.  He is doing well and feels confident
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
30 Mar 2011 05:08 AM
How many weeks total is the A school??? I don't post much on this thread since I have only known one AST and that was 23 years ago. I don't have much to add... but I have been reading and enjoy following your son's progress! I hope those prayers and his strength keep him going to the finish line!
Sector NY, Staten Island
Basic Member
Basic Member
sunny717

--
30 Mar 2011 02:36 PM
My son an AST, class 74/75-09 did 18 weeks AST training. He failed the last week and went before an board in Norfolk and beggen to keep him in. They gave him 6 more weeks to pass and he did, thus 2 graduated class 75-09.
 Normal time is 18 weeks of AST training.
Joe

Sunny
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
30 Mar 2011 02:50 PM
That is really great they gave him the time to complete. I can't imagine one thing tripping me up at 17 weeks and not being able to finish. That would be heart breaking!!!
Sector NY, Staten Island
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 5 of 20 << < 34567 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement