Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
HS-HEALTH SERVICES TECHNICIAN
Last Post 06 Dec 2018 05:31 AM by mkelly. 130 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 512345 > >>
Author Messages
Trusted Member / Administrator
chukles

--
10 Jan 2010 12:17 AM
    HEALTH SERVICES TECHNICIAN (HS)

To view a video of this rate, click here.

Health Services Technicians (HS) provide necessary routine as well as emergency healthcare services in large Coast Guard clinics or small sick bays, ashore or on cutters. Services could include direct medical care for personnel and families; assisting medical and dental officers; performing diagnostic testing, x-rays, and clinical lab tests; prescribing medications; administering immunizations; performing minor surgical procedures, and much more.

Types of Duty:

The first duty station for HSs is usually at large medical clinics where professional supervision from highly qualified medical personnel helps to sharpen the skills needed to succeed. If assigned to independent duty, an HS will provide for all of his or her crew's medical needs. HSs may also be involved in search-and-rescue or medical-evaluation missions.

Training Available:

Begin with 13 weeks of HS 'A' School at Petaluma, CA. Intensive training in anatomy and physiology, patient examination, evaluation and treatment, and pharmacology. Learn the techniques and hands-on skills required to fulfill your duties.

Qualifications:

Desire to help people needing medical and dental attention. Meticulous attention to detail. Pleasing personality and ability to work closely with others. Medical or dental experience is helpful. School courses in practical mathematics, hygiene, biology, physiology, and chemistry are an advantage.

Related Civilian Jobs:

Medical Assistant
    X-Ray Technician
    Medical Laboratory Technician
    Physician's Assistant

Vr,
    Chuck

These poor, plain men, dwellers upon the lonely sands of Hatteras, took their lives in their hands, and, at the most imminent risk crossed the most tumultuous sea…and all for what? That others might live to see home and friends. — Annual Report of the U.S. Life- Saving Service, 1885

Recruiting Website

Read here for answers to the most often asked questions about joining the Coast Guard!

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    10 Jan 2010 12:18 AM
    Posts from old HS thread;

noregrets
    Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009
    Total Posts : 192 Posted 1/1/2010 7:01 PM (GMT -5)
    I was wondering what information was out there and could be made available other than what is on the gocoastguard.com site pertaining to health services technician? Does anyone happen to know how long the wait would be for A-school? I've finally made the decision to enlist. Thanks!
    Sara

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."
    -- Gandhi

"I am a member of a team, and I rely on the team. I defer to it and sacrifice for it, because the team, not the individual, is the ultimate champion."
    -- Mia Hamm

OldGuard
    Macie

Date Joined Sep 2008
    Total Posts : 3452 Posted 1/1/2010 7:11 PM (GMT -5)
    Congratulations Sara. I'm sure you will be a great enlisted member and keep working on the OCS thing. You'll get picked up if you still want it. It's just a matter of time! Keep us posted on how things go!
    Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

noregrets
    Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009
    Total Posts : 192 Posted 1/1/2010 7:26 PM (GMT -5)
    Thanks, Macie! I hope all is well with you guys! It's really taking a toll on my mother. My dad spent two months in ICU this fall - so his outlook has changed on life a little bit. He's completely supportive and said he just hopes things have changed over the past 30 years. I just worry about him being sick again and me being out to sea or wherever.

I will keep working towards OCS - I'm praying this is a career move. Although, I wouldn't mind an additional nursing degree to hang on the wall.
    Happy New Year!
    Sara

-- Gandhi

"I am a member of a team, and I rely on the team. I defer to it and sacrifice for it, because the team, not the individual, is the ultimate champion."
    -- Mia Hamm

LTate
    Polar Roller Mom

Date Joined Nov 2007
    Total Posts : 523 Posted 1/2/2010 7:45 PM (GMT -5)
    Last time I looked at the A school list, the wait time for HS A School was 12 to 18 months. Hope that info helps alittle. I don't think I've ever seen anyone on the board who is going HS or is one but maybe there's somebody out there who can give you more information. Best of luck to you!

Laurie

dshepherd
    Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2009
    Total Posts : 24 Posted 1/3/2010 8:46 PM (GMT -5)
    This is the rating I have basically decided on, but as you know that can change. I looked into it and asked my recruiter and I was told there is two major things that the wait for HS is.

#1-you cannot put your name on the A-School list until you have been at your 1st duty station for 4 months.

#2 -THEN it's a 12-18 month wait. I was told more about 18 though.

Looks like it could be a little over a year to almost two years. That all just depends.
    Headed to Cape May on February 23rd!

noregrets
    Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009
    Total Posts : 192 Posted 1/5/2010 7:16 PM (GMT -5)
    Wow. Well, either way, it still sounds good! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to contact my recruiter all week...
    Thanks for all the help, though. I haven't seen anyone HS in the year I've been on here.
    Sara

-- Gandhi

-- Mia Hamm

Vr,
    Chuck

These poor, plain men, dwellers upon the lonely sands of Hatteras, took their lives in their hands, and at the most imminent risk crossed the most tumultuous sea…and all for what? That others might live to see home and friends. — Annual Report of the U.S. Life- Saving Service, 1885

Recruiting Website

Read here for answers to the most often asked questions about joining the Coast Guard!

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Chrisp

--
    15 Jan 2010 12:01 AM
    I am considering going for the HS rate, but I have a few concerns. How typical is this rate for a male, being one I am just curious. Also my guaranteed district is 11, and I noticed the A school is also in district 11, what are the chances that I could be stationed in district 11 after completing A school. Not that it's a big deal, but I was just born and raised on the East Coast and wouldn't mind spending most of my life on the West Coast lol.

Coastie Almostie

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Bored of Desk Jobs

--
    17 Jan 2010 06:56 PM
    Don't worry about the male:female ratio of HS. I was attending school for dietetics prior to considering enlistment in the CG, and being a male in a female dominated field is quite advantageous.

There is always a chance you can stay in district 11.

It all begins February 16th 2010!

" height="200" width="200" quality="high" loop="infinite" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgiP1_Prod_Version=Shockwaveflash">

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    17 Jan 2010 09:11 PM
    Gender has no bearing on what rates are available to you, or your opportunities within that rate. If you want to be an HS, do it. If you want to spend sometime in D11, if it's available in "A" school put it on your dream sheet.

"When you fall on your face you are still moving forward."

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    17 Jan 2010 10:34 PM
    our little clinic has one girl, rest are guys.

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. -John 15:13

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    noregrets

--
    18 Jan 2010 12:44 AM
    From what I've found, in an attempt to research, there is no bearing on either male:female. If anything, just on my research, I have found more males .... however, there really is no surprise when considering the ratio on enlisted personnel.

Sara

-- Gandhi

"I am a member of a team, and I rely on the team.  I defer to it and sacrifice for it, because the team, not the individual, is the ultimate champion."
    -- Mia Hamm

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Bored of Desk Jobs

--
    18 Jan 2010 03:51 AM
    More males makes perfect sense. The CG is comprised mostly of males, therefore more males can (and do) go into HS.

It all begins February 16th 2010!

" height="200" width="200" quality="high" loop="infinite" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgiP1_Prod_Version=Shockwaveflash">

Chrisp

--
    19 Jan 2010 03:56 PM
    Thanks a lot everyone. I appreciate it.

Coastie Almostie

echo

--
    19 Jan 2010 10:13 PM
    What are your thoughts on HS rate vs. going into a medical career in another branch? Especially considering the long waiting list for HS
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    19 Jan 2010 10:22 PM
    If your sole motivation is a career in a medical field of some sort then, as you infer, you might get there quicker in another branch. However, if you are specifically interested in the Coast Guard, then anything worth having is worth waiting for. Or, at least, that's what my dad always said...
    Chrisp

--
    21 Jan 2010 03:57 AM
    Will I have to give full physicals in HS?

Coastie Almostie

WCSU1987

--
    12 Mar 2010 11:29 AM
    Do HS’s typically go along on patrols, believe that I the right term, on a station or a cutter?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    12 Mar 2010 11:54 AM
    HSs aren't typically assigned to Small Boat Stations. If you are assigned to a Cutter as an HS you will get underway with the cutter. Who else is going to stitch the MKs back together? The BMs? Not likely...

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

- Mark Twain

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    vikolator1

--
    22 Mar 2010 05:15 PM
    MY son has been in the CG for around 1 year he finished BC in april 09 as a e3 got all his quals done and was able to fill out the a school papers and he put in for HS A School this took him about 4 to 5 months Remember he was a e3 at BC graduation he is in for 6 years..
    so now hes on the HS A School list since aug. I belive of 09 he has just now moved up to 76 on the list started around 140 something this class is very slow to get into and promotians are also very slow compaired to other rates... But their is a reason for this
    People who go into this rate dont leave that should tell you something about the job.
    after A School most go to some kind of hospital or clinic usually for around 2 years their first duty station most hs dont go on a cutter or on their own so to speak intill they either make HS2 or HS1 and or have completed C School At least thats the information I have been led to belive ...
    I hope this helps with some of the questions some of you may have...
    willekg

--
    18 Feb 2011 10:53 AM
    Does anyone know if previous healthcare service prior to enlistment can boost your name on this list? For example I am an emt for 4 years now and I am strongly considering enlisting,i am also currently registered to start paramedic school in a few months here. So my question is I guess, would the extra paramedic training help boost my name on the hs list or does either emt or paramedic training not matter for coast guard hs? Thank you
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    18 Feb 2011 11:03 AM
    Prior medical training does not help when it comes to "the list". Everyone waits their turn when it comes to "A" school lists for all ratings.
    coastie43

--
    18 Feb 2011 02:39 PM
    I'm really thinking about HS but I dont deal with blood very well. On the other hand I might be able to get over that. I'm just wondering what my duties would mostly be. I think this is a smart rate to go into because it directly relates to a growing field in the civilian world. Any tips/advise/knowledge would be great.
    willekg

--
    19 Feb 2011 02:48 PM
    What is hs1 and hs2 as well as"c" schools?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    19 Feb 2011 05:59 PM
    HS = Health Services. The 1 & 2 refer to rank... Petty Officers 1st & 2nd class. "C" school is something you do after completing your A school to continue to advance your knowledge for your rate. I hope that explains it.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    willekg

--
    19 Feb 2011 06:22 PM
    it helps very much thank you. so then does "c" school for hs advance your rate in a certain section of hs. for example advance into a specialty of hs such as dentistry or pharmacology?
    PaulReck

--
    30 Mar 2011 12:37 AM
    Yes. C-Schools provide additional training for the Health Services Technician. Some examples of these schools are:

Pharmacy Tech
    Independenty Duty Corpsman
    BioMed Repair Tech
    Preventive Medical Tech
    and others.

HSC
    willekg

--
    03 Apr 2011 03:43 PM
    anywhere there is a list of the "c"schools/specialties?
    coastalbreeze

--
    29 Jul 2011 01:54 PM
    Hello, I was curious about the HS rate. I was wondering if it was possible to specialize in a certain field of the rate? I've noticed some other branches of the military do it, i was wondering if the coast guard did aswell. I would like to (if possible) specialize is physical therapy, if it is possible, what would this be called? Thanks for your time
    PaulReck

--
    30 Jul 2011 02:27 PM
    For some reason, my last post here was erased. Moderator, if there was some protocol broken by my answer, please do me the courtasy of shooting me a PM.

Anyway, as I stated earlier, there is a Physical Therapy C school that the Coast Guard sends folks to. There are not many billets that require this speciality and enrollement in the physical therapy school will depend upon the needs of the clinic to which you are assigned.

HSC
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    30 Jul 2011 03:23 PM
    Chief, If a post was erased it had to be just a glitch in the system. The only time I delete something is a duplicate or someone hocking knock off designer bags, vacation deals, nikes at discount prices... any of the spam garbage. I would never delete a helpful post. Again, probably just a glitch somewhere, I'm sorry about that. Please let us know if it happens again.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    muellerk20

--
    05 Aug 2011 08:36 PM
    does anyone know at what point during hs a school do they find out their next duty station?
    oljarhead

--
    17 Aug 2011 11:39 AM
    Posted By PaulReck on 30 Mar 2011 01:37 AM
    Yes. C-Schools provide additional training for the Health Services Technician. Some examples of these schools are:

Pharmacy Tech
    Independenty Duty Corpsman
    BioMed Repair Tech
    Preventive Medical Tech
    and others.

HSC

This question in directed at anyone that may know the answer. My daughter is currently speaking with the AF, however I've always been impressed with the CG, even as a MARINE. Anyways, she's really hell bent on beinga physical therapist, so thats what she;s talking to the AF about doing (enlisted to officer route). My question is does the CG offer PT as an advanced training option in HS?

Thank You,
    Chris
    JayMed

--
    29 Oct 2011 07:39 PM
    Quick question. Are health services technician jobs the same as medical assistant jobs? Thanks

Jay
    stonecold176

--
    31 Oct 2011 07:42 AM
    I can tell you my wife is set to graduate HS "A" school in a few weeks. She was a Paramedic going into the Coast Guard and feels the school is in her words, "very basic medical skills". However with that said, she helping many of the students with the school who are struggling with the material. So with her being experienced in the medical field, this class would be far more challenging for someone just entering the medical field. The first part of the school is obtaining your EMT National Registry.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 512345 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement