Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
HS-HEALTH SERVICES TECHNICIAN
Last Post 06 Dec 2018 05:31 AM by mkelly. 130 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 5 << < 12345 > >>
Author Messages
willekg

--
29 Dec 2011 11:03 PM
is there a part of the HS that is geared more towards the paramedic field? similar to say the SWAT/Tactical Medic field or general emergency medicine like a navy coreman?
megacomp

--
06 Feb 2012 04:35 PM
I am looking to do HS, my husband is a SK and I leave for boot camp in May. Is the wait still around 18 months and also the chances of us being colocated with these rates?
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
06 Feb 2012 04:46 PM
The CG will attempt to keep you together. However it will always be needs of the service.
Sector NY, Staten Island
pilotdudeman1

--
28 Feb 2012 07:41 PM
is this open to reservists?
Marmsheimer

--
29 Feb 2012 01:55 PM
My boyfriend is on the list for HS. He's only at 78. So hopefully in the next year or so he will be on his way! Any reason the list moves so slow?
Trusted Member
E

--
29 Feb 2012 05:27 PM
the list moves by the needs of the Coast Guard. Everything from billets, the budget, members in that rating retiring, etc. all play into effect. Each list will have it's time when it's moving slow and times where it flies by. He'll know roughly 2-3 months in advance unless he gets a late spot, someone cancels, etc. and it could be a 1 day notice thing. I had a BM2 that they asked if he could be at A school in 2 days and he went. I got 10 days notice while I was at a C school.
canoecaptain

--
25 Mar 2012 12:10 PM
My daughter will be attending HS A school in January '13. She is a Reservist and we were wondering what the work environment is like for the rate on drill weekend and for annual training? Her slot is at a clinic at a BSU or Sector?
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bells

--
25 Mar 2012 12:48 PM
There are only two classes for the next two years, one this year and one next year. One of my roomates is on the list though and she says she moves about 10 spots a month anyway from people getting off the list.
Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
PaulReck

--
12 Apr 2012 12:58 PM
One of my shipmates is attending the next class. She was on the list for about two years.

At my last unit, I had an HS1 reservist who worked for me. During the drills, he assisted me in completing exams and other readiness requirements for his fellow reserve members. During his two week ADT, he assisted me in the office as well as worked on completing his mandated training. Unless a reservist is activated (30 days or more), there is not much outside of what I described that a reserve HS member will be able to do.

If there are any other questions about this awesome rate, please do not hesitate to ask.   If I do not know the answer, I can try to find the answer for you.

HSC Shannon P Reck
canoecaptain

--
19 Apr 2012 04:46 PM
Thanks for your reply Chief Reck, she is moving forward in the process, has her boot and A school ship dates.  She will be starting college in the fall between boot and A school.  She signed up for an A and P class at her college, any suggestions on what to study prior to  A school would be appreciated.  I will encourage her to go visit her unit prior to going to boot.  Her recruiter said he could arrange that.  Her long term goals are to become a physical therapist in the civilian world and to attend OCS with the reserve.  Thank you again for your reply, CC
PaulReck

--
07 May 2012 11:48 PM
Any sort of A&P and etc would be benificial.  The A school is very good at teaching folks with no medical background, so she will have a definite leg up on the average trainee.
kenny27

--
12 May 2012 10:09 AM
I will be trying to get in the coast guard for HS. My question is once your done with "A" School. Can you pick a "C" school to go to? Say if I wanted to do x-rays? I am going to speak with a recruiter on the 6th of June.
kenny27

--
13 May 2012 07:36 AM
Also the recruiter did say the wait is 18 months. Has anyone gotten in faster then that?
Basic Member
Basic Member
Bahchic

--
13 May 2012 10:41 AM
No you do not get to choose a C school, it is all at the need of your command. So if your unit doesn't need you to do any X-rays then your probably not going. Be prepared to wait at least 2 years to go to HS A school.
kenny27

--
19 May 2012 01:19 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it.
Basic Member
Basic Member
Browns24

--
21 May 2012 05:49 AM
You can always apply to the C school. Your unit will have to approve the request. In your example for x-rays, even if your unit doesnt have a NEED for it, they can still send you. Not all C schools requests are based on need. There are commands who will approve it only if it is needed and there are also commands that are willing to let their people strive for better learning opportunities. The command USUALLY doesn't commit any funding for that member to attend the C school, thats done through another command. It depends on your commands outlook if they would send you or not. If your request is denied, you will be given a reason for the denial.
kenny27

--
21 May 2012 08:24 PM
Thank you for the information.
PaulReck

--
13 Jun 2012 11:57 PM
Sorry Kenny... I just looked at the 15May2012 school list. The anticipated wait time for HS A School is now "More than 36".

Please see the attached link to the latest school list:

http://www.uscg.mil/epm/docs/a-schoollist.pdf

That being said, if you really want to be an HS, stick it out and remain on the list. MANY will drop off of the list seeking a quicker school, which will place you at school in less time than that(more than likely). I waited two years to get to school back in 1994, and I can tell you that it was well worth the wait. It is better to wait for a job that really interests you than to get inpatient and pick something you will end up hating just to get the quick PO rating.

HSC S.P Reck
kenny27

--
18 Jun 2012 05:42 PM
Posted By PaulReck on 14 Jun 2012 12:57 AM
Sorry Kenny... I just looked at the 15May2012 school list. The anticipated wait time for HS A School is now "More than 36".

Please see the attached link to the latest school list:

http://www.uscg.mil/epm/docs/a-schoollist.pdf

That being said, if you really want to be an HS, stick it out and remain on the list. MANY will drop off of the list seeking a quicker school, which will place you at school in less time than that(more than likely). I waited two years to get to school back in 1994, and I can tell you that it was well worth the wait. It is better to wait for a job that really interests you than to get inpatient and pick something you will end up hating just to get the quick PO rating.

HSC S.P Reck

I have my second meeting with the Recruiter tomorrow. The only thing that worries me is my age because I am 27. They did tell me that once I leave for basic it doesn't matter what the wait is if thats what I really want to do. I'm hoping its somehow 2 years instead of 3. Thank you for the information. I still want to join, just have to do good on the Asvab. 
Thanks again,
Kenny
PaulReck

--
18 Jun 2012 07:04 PM
The school list is very fluid.  So many people drop off of the list for one reason or another.  Something to bear in mind is that the wait time is estimated per the number of people on the list, with the assumption that they will all remain for the duration.  Of course, this is not the case.  I have noticed that a name typically moves up three or four(if not more) names a month due to folks changing their minds on the the rating specialty they want to do, get into trouble, or etc. 

Your recruiter is right; if you want to be an HS, wait the time.  Trust me, it is well worth the wait.

HSC
kenny27

--
19 Jun 2012 09:24 PM
Thank you for all the information I really appreciate it. I guess I am worried because I had bells palsy about 5 and a half years ago. It came and went and luckily I got all the feeling back in my face and have had no symptoms since. They sent my paper work to meps today and I asked if that could keep me from enlisting and the recruiter said yes it could. I've been reading through some things stating its a automatic DQ which really stinks if that is the case. I guess I'll just cross my fingers for the week.
PaulReck

--
20 Jun 2012 01:45 AM
I wish you the best!!
kenny27

--
20 Jun 2012 09:01 AM
Thanks again!!
chekkers0

--
25 Jun 2012 07:21 PM
I am planning on going HS and to my understanding most HS3's out of A school will go to a clinic somewhere to gain more skill and knowledge. What do their roles usually look like at a clinic and what type of duty rotation do they normally run?
longtimewaiting

--
12 Jul 2012 05:35 PM

Would anyone happen to know the actual class size for the September convening date?

Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
13 Jul 2012 11:05 AM
24 Sep, according to the a school list... 25 a/d. There is a link in the faq section to the a school list. You can find a lot of answers there.
Sector NY, Staten Island
kenny27

--
18 Jul 2012 11:37 AM
Can you be assigned to a Helicopter as a HS after all of your training is complete? Thanks for any input.
Kenneth
PaulReck

--
18 Jul 2012 01:32 PM
If you are able to be assigned to a clinic at an Air Station, you may be allowed(on your own time) to qualify as an aircrewmember. Doing this may make you a part of the aircrew duty schedule. You are not assigned to a helo. Once you transfer, you can still find yourself at a normal clinic or a cutter. You are not permanent aircrew, like an AST.
kenny27

--
18 Jul 2012 02:16 PM
Thanks for all the help Paul. I'm just asking as many questions as possible to get all the answers. Once I'm in I plan on staying in until they tell me to retire. Just seeing what all the different ratings have to offer and what you can specialize in.
beckj12

--
03 Oct 2012 08:50 PM
I just wanted to echo a previous question from another poster above; does the CG have any type of position or role with in the HS rate in the way of emergency medicine/paramedic? More specifically does this exist in a tactical/LE roll? This seems to be common in the civilian law enforcement side of things. Would a boarding team have someone filling this role or is this just not really how things are done?

Thank you in advance,
Drew
Pro Patria
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 5 << < 12345 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement