Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
HS-HEALTH SERVICES TECHNICIAN
Last Post 12 Sep 2018 11:35 AM by JAMIE.L.OWENS. 128 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 5 of 5 << < 12345
Author Messages
Trusted Member
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
mkelly

--
18 Oct 2017 03:54 PM
As an HS, there are also a couple of units where he could have flight duties and fly on medical cases with the crews. There are a lot of different options for a lot of different jobs in the Coast Guard and he should have the opportunity to see what the different ratings do on a day to day basis once he gets settled in at his first unit. All HS's have to pass EMT school before they even start HS school and become nationally certified as well.
RhondaDenyse

--
19 Oct 2017 12:30 PM
Thanks for your input... I have done tons of reading and researching (and then printing and sharing with him) and I think his best bet is to have a general idea of mid range and long range goals... but not be nailed down to them. I told him his best bet is to study hard and get ready (mentally and physically) for boot camp this June. Then, get settled in his first unit and focus on getting qualified. Get your name on a list for school... then work hard until his name comes up.
I think he will want to work on his RN or BSN while in the USCG. That way if he chooses to make a career or get out after he does his time... he has a good skill that will suit him either decision he makes. He likes the idea of OCS at some point... but who knows. I just keep thinking... shoot, you still have to be reminded to clean your room. HA! I think he will be a great Guardsman... but he will always be my kiddo.
Thanks again!
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
20 Oct 2017 12:43 PM
Rhonda, there is a thing a lot of moms like to say... What we couldn't teach our kids in 18 years, the CG taught them in 8 weeks.

College while on active duty is absolutely possible. My ex husband got his Associates Degree while a nonrate and young 3rd class. He went on to get a Bachelor's and a Master's. He went to OCS. He went to boot camp and retired a Captain with degrees to back up his next chapter in life. Not bad to retire at 52 with 30 years and an Associates, a Bachelors and a Masters and all the benefits of being retired military.
Sector NY, Staten Island
partyoftwelve

--
03 Jan 2018 03:27 PM
Does anyone know the current wait for HS A school?
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bells

--
03 Jan 2018 06:05 PM
2-3 years
Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
Trusted Member
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
mkelly

--
03 Jan 2018 07:13 PM
Partyoftwelve, if you're asking for your son who is on the AST "A" school list, thats a dangerous road to go down. If your son has any back up plans, he will fail AST "A" school. If he is seriously interested in HS "A" school, any wait time shouldn't keep somebody from doing what they really want to do.
partyoftwelve

--
08 Jan 2018 10:01 AM
NOT AT ALL!

We have a good family friend who's at Cape right now and is interested in HS rating.  She just started with Oscar 195.  Her younger brother graduated in November also.  They're good friends with my son, and I was wondering what her wait time would be.  She'll make a great HS, as she's already and emt/paramedic.
Trusted Member
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
mkelly

--
16 Jan 2018 06:25 AM
Perfect! Make sure that they all spend some time looking at other ratings as well. Also, the wait times change a lot and can be a lot shorter or a little longer by the time they get out of boot and are able to put their name on a list. Although HS tends to be a little bit of a longer wait time it can shorten quickly and I'm sure you're read on here before, waiting for the job you want is always worth it. Best of luck!
JAMIE.L.OWENS

--
12 Sep 2018 11:35 AM
Can you tell me a little bit about the PA program? I recently put my name on the HS " A" school list. I have considered this path but have not yet met anyone who has become a PA being prior enlisted. V/R
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 5 of 5 << < 12345

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement