Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
MST-MARINE SCIENCE TECHNICIAN
Last Post 02 Apr 2017 07:19 AM by DC1998. 92 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 4 << < 1234 > >>
Author Messages
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
southern118

--
12 Aug 2011 02:04 PM
i will tell you if you want to go active go active dont do reserves and think you can easly intergrate.

Yes im active and i enjoy it most every day
ATLFalconFan

--
18 Jan 2012 01:00 PM
I know for MST you need a AR+VE of 114, I have a 115 but on the MK portion you need a 56 but I have a 55. Can I get a waiver from my CO or do I need retake that portion of the ASVAB?
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
18 Jan 2012 01:35 PM
I believe you can get a waiver for up to 5 points. So you should be able to request that.
Sector NY, Staten Island
michaelaj

--
15 Feb 2012 08:27 PM
I am looking into enlisting in the Coast Guard and MST would be my top choice for a job. I have a few questions on the MST field...

1 - Can a MST be assigned to a MSST, or the new MSRT, or a LEDET?

2 - I know it was briefly mentioned before, but where can a MST work in weather forecasting in the coast guard (e.g. at an air station?) To be honest, I've been looking at other services as well, and weather forecasting is one of my top choices for a career. The reason why is because I already graduated college with a degree in geographic science (similar to environmental science), and in the major I took a few classes in physical geograhy and meteorology. I really liked the subject a lot, and I would like to gain experience in this field so that if i choose to leave the military after 4 years, I would have weather forecasting on my resume that i could apply for a job in the meteorology field. So yeah, is there a good chance to do weather forecasting as a MST and where do those MSTs who attended C school for weather usually work at?

Thanks
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
southern118

--
17 Feb 2012 04:53 AM
ok im going to hit this quick.

yes a MST can be at a MSST not sure about the others as i havent looked at the billet selection lately.

Weather school is not that common for a MST. I know that they use to send them if you were going to a polar roller but not sure they are still sending people. Dont plan on doing weather as a MST it is more then likely not going to happen.

Dont plan on spending 4 years in the CG and get out if you want to be a MST as of right now the average wait time is over 2 years so you will be at 5 to 6 years before you would be eligble to get out after attending A school.
coastiejohn

--
29 May 2012 09:12 AM
I'm interested in going mst because I'm interested in the aspects of the rate. I am new to the coast guard (2months since basic) and recently had a baby. I am interested in knowing more about class a school and the work schedule. I know different units have different hours and all but i would like help on deciding if It would be benificial to me as I have just started a family.
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
southern118

--
29 May 2012 06:57 PM
Hey John where are you stationed. I will answer any questions you have and help you however you may need. Gve me some basic information and I will get ahold of you. Just pm me and I will get you a basic email sent to you
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bells

--
29 May 2012 09:29 PM
None of ours have been going to weather school, we bring navy weather guys on board when we need them.
Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
southern118

--
30 May 2012 03:37 AM
from how it is explained it is a waste of 9 months as you only use it while you are there. i am not sure if they cut it but you dont use any of the weather stuff after you leave the cutter. We have NOAA at sectors and MSD/MSU
Jessler

--
08 Apr 2013 01:31 PM
What is the best place to be stationed for an aspiring MST right out of boot camp? Also, would it be more useful to go the FN or SN route?
"The world is not in your maps and books [or smartphones]. It's out there."
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
08 Apr 2013 02:37 PM
Really won't matter on unit or no-rate position. My ex-husband was stationed in Kodiak... First spot was at the MAA shack (Master at arms) he cleaned and inspected barracks rooms. Eventually he was able to leave there and move to the mailroom. He went to the airport, picked up mail, sorted it, delivered it to boats... truly had nothing to do with the MST world. He went to MST A school and was very successful both in his enlisted and officer career in the M Field. Other that his time as a non-rate, M is all he has ever done in the Coast Guard.

Best of luck! The wait is long but the rating is pretty good, Jim has had an amazing career and getting ready to head into his twilight tour. He will retire with a little more than 30 years active duty. I don't think he would change much of his career path at all.
Sector NY, Staten Island
Jessler

--
05 Aug 2013 07:54 PM
Wondering how security clearance fits in with this rating. Maybe I should have posted a new thread in the general category first as I don't know much on how security clearance fits in with any rate really other than that IS requires TS (I believe?) Either way I'd much appreciate any info on the subject.
"The world is not in your maps and books [or smartphones]. It's out there."
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
southern118

--
10 Aug 2013 09:27 AM
You really need a secret clearance as part of our job is handling information that is required to maintain the Clearance
santelmo

--
12 Nov 2013 04:13 AM
Daughter in law just got her duty assignment while in A School (MST)  Nashville, TN.

We are both trying to find info on this billet...  What does an MST do in Music Capitol ?  where is the physical station located...? ( Being married would like to begin house hunting asap).  Any info you or anyone else can provide would be greatly appreciated.    

Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
southern118

--
26 Nov 2013 06:34 PM
I don't know what they do in Nashville but would love to be there
Falagund

--
23 Dec 2013 07:21 AM
It looks like its been awhile since this was event mentioned so I'm wondering if its still a part of the MST job. Does an MST get the chance to have time aboard the icebreakers and if so, what do they do while there?
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
23 Dec 2013 07:25 AM
They are still on ice breakers... Bells would probably have good insight for you. She was on an ice breaker. Southern might know some of what their tasks are as well. He is an MST but never on a polar roller.
Sector NY, Staten Island
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
southern118

--
11 Jan 2014 07:18 AM
I can't help with the Polaris as I don't have anyone that I know that is on them
tsmcmorran

--
07 Feb 2014 06:55 PM
Heading to A school in a week. Three long years floating on a 270, but will miss some of those times. Any idea on types of units they tend to put on a school pics or is it just needs of service? My goal is to be on strike teams and/or boarding inspections of drilling units containers; what units should i look to as first duty station?
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
southern118

--
08 Feb 2014 10:10 PM
Chances of a strike team are very very slim. If I can give you a piece of advise when the picks come out take the busiest port you can find. Don't worry about containers as it isn't a job that will help much for advancement. It is a great job I hold the qual and more less ran the portion for the shop for a while. I will say enjoy school and pic something that works for you.

The pics will be all over the place. Or it could just be the gulf coast.
Basic Member
Basic Member
jni3

--
11 Feb 2014 05:46 AM
I would also pick a busy port. If it's a big unit then you have the possibilities to switch departments to get more experience.
tsmcmorran

--
11 Feb 2014 08:54 AM
Thanks for the advice! I figured strike team was very slim haha. Will keep posted on pick start school a week today! Does anyone know any info about RAID teams, the MEC on my cutter mentioned MSTs going to this program.
Basic Member
Basic Member
jchen012

--
13 Feb 2014 01:12 PM
You have to be an E-5 or above to be assigned to the RAID team. It has something to do with Navy Customs and their policy of having E-5s and above. Also if you want to go RAID and be competitive, it helps to have your Facility and Container qual. Therefore try to get stationed at a Sector's Prevention Department. Avoid Response or Waterways if RAID is a priority.
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bells

--
13 Feb 2014 08:26 PM
MSTs on the Healy are mostly aids/babysitters/slaves to the scientists and then riggers. They don't have 3rd class billets anymore, they were switched over to bm3 billets. So now there is one mst2, a mst2 and a mstc. I can't speak for the star other than I know a mst3 that was on there before she switched to Healy (actually. .. was on the sea) but they weren't underway so she probably wasn't doing any science. Regardless it isn't rating specific work that they are doing. It would be an out of rate tour basically
Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
tsmcmorran

--
14 Feb 2014 08:50 AM
Thanks again for all the advice about units! RAID maybe isnt a top priority but surely something i would strive for. During my tenure o the cutter i attended courses put on by Navy meant for sailors and marines deploying to Afghanistan and Iraq. After speaking with them i was intrigued and wanted to go but was unaware of RAID team and put that feeling aside, now knowing their role i would want to make one of the teams. Please feel free to pm me or just bombard this thread with info about any other units anyone has been at, my wife and i are excited/anxious to find out where we will be going next! Any tips for hhg moves esp since we'll only have a short time between finding out where were going and the time we leave
tsmcmorran

--
17 Feb 2014 09:18 AM
Reporting to class 02B-14 today! Will post updates, thanks again for all advice and info!
tsmcmorran

--
17 Feb 2014 02:35 PM
Reporting to class 02B-14 today! Will post updates, thanks again for all advice and info!
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
17 Feb 2014 03:03 PM
Best of luck!!! MST is a good rate! It gave my ex-husband a very good career, almost 30 years and still going strong in the M Field.
Sector NY, Staten Island
Basic Member
Basic Member
EvenKeel

--
19 Mar 2014 10:09 PM
Old Guard you said that your husband was an MST in the M field? What is the M field? I tried googling it and could not find anything.

I know that some rates have more specialized jobs that you have to qualify for, for example Surfman. Is that what MST M field is kinda like?

If so, I hope I can learn about these rate specializations before choosing a rate.

Thanks!
"You can't run from the wind. You trim your sails, face the music, and keep going." - Captain Sheldon, White Squall
Trusted Member
Gears

--
20 Mar 2014 12:09 AM
The M field is the catch all for MSOs, MSUs, and MSDs. Primarily MSTs are assigned to those units. But, there are billets for other ratings. The Surfman and Heavy Weather Cox'n qualifications are unit specific qualifications.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 4 << < 1234 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement