Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
MST-MARINE SCIENCE TECHNICIAN
Last Post 02 Apr 2017 08:19 AM by DC1998. 92 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 4 << < 1234 > >>
Author Messages
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
southern118

--
20 Mar 2014 05:42 AM
morran how is class going?
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
20 Mar 2014 06:44 AM
Thanks Gears. Yep, my ex has been an MST or an officer assigned to Marine Safety fields. He has absolutely loved his career and has traveled the globe as a Coastie. 99.9% of it on planes. Probably 90% of that civilian planes. He is a Captain with almost 30 years (August 2015 will be 30) and he has never served aboard a CG cutter. I honestly don't think there is a day he regrets making the decision to join the CG. Research the ratings and make sure the one you chose is the one you want and you won't regret joining the CG either.
Sector NY, Staten Island
Basic Member
Basic Member
EvenKeel

--
20 Mar 2014 09:32 AM
Thanks Gears and OldGuard. I really enjoy environmental protection/management and resource law enforcement (my BA is Ecology). However, I'm not sure that MST is for me, it seems that MSTs mainly do vessel safety checks and environmental compliance. I was hoping that they would be doing things a bit more research and science related. Plus, I have a passion for seagoing vessels and I am hoping to serve aboard a cutter and it looks like it is not as common for MSTs to be stationed on a cutter.

Looks like I'm still leaning towards BM (sorry Gears, the dark side is calling me).
"You can't run from the wind. You trim your sails, face the music, and keep going." - Captain Sheldon, White Squall
mnspeak

--
28 Mar 2014 09:49 PM
Hello I am new to the board and I am looking for some insight to the life of a MST as a reserve. In general do you think being an MST in the CG Reserve is a fulfilling job? I am looking at the CG in Duluth, MN. If anyone can speak to the Reserve MST job or the CG mission in Duluth I'd appreciate it!
Firstlight

--
17 Jun 2014 01:27 PM

Can anyone comfirm that the next MST A school class are September 12014 and then January 2015?
Thank You

Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
17 Jun 2014 02:36 PM
Look at the A School list... it is in the FAQ section. That will tell you. Help yourself, the answers are on this forum, now find them.
Sector NY, Staten Island
Firstlight

--
17 Jun 2014 03:56 PM
I look at the A school list monthly, Old Guard.  I do not see THE answer on the FAQ.  That is why I asked you last month. Imformation is appreciated.

Basic Member
Basic Member
zachw88

--
19 Jun 2014 11:12 PM
Posted By Firstlight on 17 Jun 2014 03:56 PM
I look at the A school list monthly, Old Guard.  I do not see THE answer on the FAQ.  That is why I asked you last month. Imformation is appreciated.

It's page 6. The page with all the different rates abbreviated, along with their projected wait times and convening class dates. I am not sure how you cannot find it. But, yes, the next classes are in September and January. 29SEP14 and 05JAN15.
tsmcmorran

--
02 Aug 2014 11:46 AM
Southern,

Class was great! I was number one pick overall for duty station selection. Currently enjoying IMD department at SEC NY. I am going to be taking the NOV MST2 swe. Working on my FOSCR qual too, finally have a federalized case haha so its a battle to get sign offs.
jdb

--
15 Aug 2014 11:00 PM
Hey morran I was wondering how your picks were chose and what was on the list. Was it priority? how well you did in class? or combination? I will be going to school soon and just wanted some more info on it... THANKS!!!
tsmcmorran

--
22 Aug 2014 11:46 AM
Hey JDB,

Sorry working a big case. The way our picks went in class was based on a combination of priority, grades, and time in. I was the number one pick overall for my class. I came from a 270' with a little over three years in and about a 96 GPA. The second and third picks were also 270' sailors with a few months less service and a lil lower GPA. When will you be going to school? I will be heading to some c schools at Yorktown in the near future. As for locations our class picks were all over from Guam Alaska Puerto Rico and scattered throughout the US. I'm currently at Sec NY.
infor1

--
12 Oct 2014 05:29 PM
Hi, new here but interested in joining the USCG Reserves, and specifically interested in the MST rating. I checked reserve vacancies and there are quite a few MST positions open in my area and I really want to pursue this. To this end, I have a few questions that I would appreciate input on:

1. Is US Citizenship a prerequisite or is legal permanent residence ok (due to potential security clearance requirements)?

2. How difficult is it to get this rating coming in as a reserve? I have a BA in an unrelated area of study (but with some environmental science courses at the undergrad level) but no applicable work experience in this area.

3. If one were to do graduate level coursework in this area (for instance, a graduate certificate in Environmental Science/Hazard Mitigation) would this increase my chances or is it best to just study and work hard at getting a good ASVAB score? I should mention that my GPA isn't the greatest in the beginning because I was young and unfocused, but that it improved toward the end.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated. I realize that it's best to go speak with a recruiter, but I'm trying to get as much info ahead of time as possible. Thank you.
rugbyk82

--
15 Aug 2015 05:49 AM
It looks like this thread hasn't been used in almost a year but I do have some general questions regarding MST A school. I am joining as a reservist and will be attending DEPOT 4 Oct and have a reservation for MST A school 11 Jan.
I want to know what to generally expect from A school and how it will differ from DEPOT. I graduated college recently with an undergrad in Biology (mostly animal and environmental) and was wondering if this may help me in anyway going into MST school. I have always done well in school (graduated Cum Laude with a 3.7) and have always been focused on my studies.
Also since I will be entering as an E-3 and graduating A school as an E-4 will I be required to test for the promotion in pay grade? Is there a pinning ceremony when I graduate as an E-4? I wanted to know if it is something my wife and mother should come to but didn't know if it was that big of a thing.
Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Basic Member
Basic Member
TheLonelyOS

--
15 Aug 2015 06:24 AM
To make E4 all you have to do is pass A School and your EPME which is just required knowledge and a time requirement as an E3.
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
17 Aug 2015 08:03 AM
Rugby, if your family can do both Cape May and Yorktown, I would say go for it. Your family can put your crows on, it is nice to have them there for that. But if they can only afford one, I would chose Cape May first. Boot graduation is more ceremonious and it's the first time they'll see you in your uniform. It is more of a big thing. A School is nice to have them there, I went for my son's. But the ceremony is shorter, there isn't the pomp and circumstance.

I believe you still have to take the EPME, you might want to ask your recruiter. Because of the Reservist component and guaranteed, I'm not sure how that works. But you'll be able to take that in Yorktown. How long between boot graduation and MST A School start date do you have?
Sector NY, Staten Island
rugbyk82

--
17 Aug 2015 09:21 PM
My DEPOT date is 4 Oct and my A school starts 11 Jan. Everything I have been told is I will graduate from Yorktown as an E4 but I need to talk to my recruiter about the EPME.
Thanks for the info about the A school graduation too. Not sure my mother can make it to both but I know my wife will. Also my best friend is an Army veteran and I slightly recall reading something about family or friends that are veterans being able to participate in presenting any awards or honors a graduate might receive. Is that correct? Would that include A school graduation?

Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
18 Aug 2015 08:05 AM
Boot camp is former or current military, Fire, Police also, can present graduation certificates. A School anyone you would like to pin your crows on is welcome to join. My ex-husband, retired now, was active for our son's boot and A graduations. He presented his certificate in Cape May and we both pinned him in Petaluma. You have time, not a lot, but enough between boot and A that you'll get answers about the EPME.

My ex was an MST when he was enlisted, he loved it. As an interesting little side note, the crows we pinned on Colin (our son) weren't shiny, pretty, brand new crows... They were Jim's crows when he made 3rd Class. He handed them down to his son and we pinned those. It's nice to have a little sentiment. Jimmy eventually went to OCS. Keeping with the tradition theme... After you graduate OCS you have a coin, a dollar coin I believe or something, I don't know, I never got a decent look at it... But somehow it timed out there were many OCS classes in a row that had an MST in the junior OCS class. After graduation, you have your brand new butter bars on (Ensign) and you walk through the crowd. The first person to salute you, gets the coin. The coin Jim was given he received from an MST. He had to find the MST that was in the junior class, Jim got his first salute and the MST coin passed again to yet another. So the coin had passed from MST to MST for almost a year! Again, seagoing traditions, they are pretty terrific.
Sector NY, Staten Island
jsurfs

--
03 Sep 2015 08:32 PM
Hey rugby,  I was DEPOT and MST A school as well.  Since you are going to DEPOT, you will already have satisfied the EPME component when you graduate from Cape May so you will not need to worry about getting it done before or at Yorktown.  I'm not sure if it's one of the several tests you take in DEPOT or what, but regardless, you will be good to go upon graduation from DEPOT. 

Unless you're prior service and/or have a civilian profession that gives you the experience to graduate as a third class (cops to ME3 or IV3, for example) you will be graduating as an E-3.  Also, having family present at your graduations is a great experience, it's awesome to have a loved one pin you if possible. 
Kubackdylan

--
12 Sep 2015 12:45 PM
About how long is the wait for A school for the MST rating as of now? I plan on putting my name down on either being a BM or MST. Both interest me equally and if one has a shorter wait time of much rather go with that rate. Thanks
Basic Member
Basic Member
zachw88

--
12 Sep 2015 08:03 PM

You can basically go right to BM A-School in no time right now. I'm surprised it isn't guaranteed at the moment. If you were a non-rate currently and put your name down, you'd be gone in a month. As for MST, the wait still could be 2-3+ years depending. So, the wait times are vastly different, just as the two rates are so.

Kubackdylan

--
13 Sep 2015 08:43 AM
Oh alright, thank you.
Shawnnyb

--
05 Nov 2015 06:11 PM
I know that to be able to become an MST you need to have an AR + VE SCORE 114 but is there any other requirements? I got an 81 on my afqt and AR + VE score of 115. I know the wait for A school is long when you become a non rate. So my scores seem good enough, is there anything else that I'm missing? I get sent to boot camp in January.
Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
CPORJM

--
07 Nov 2015 04:45 PM
You asked basically this same question in TWO other sub forums.
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
Shawnnyb

--
08 Nov 2015 10:40 PM
Sorry I didn't think anyone was gonna answer on this post.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
pepperdoggie

--
10 Nov 2015 03:36 PM
My son was a BM2 in New York, but he actually filled an MST billet. He spent his time doing Vessel Boarding Security (VBST). They boarded ships incoming to NYC 12 miles out either by small boat or helicopter. They also did shoreside inspections and pollution enforcement as well as Ferry Security (riding the Staten Island Ferry 'round and 'round) Because of his duties the Coast Guard sent him to a ton of law enforcement schools including the FBI and secret service. He also did Presidential Security detail on several occasions. The morale of this story is that there is a lot of overlap in the jobs that the Coast Guard does, and depending on your location, these can be many and varied. He was also a tactical coxswain and boarding officer. There's more to being an MST than just scrubbing ducks!
Fatih212

--
12 Nov 2015 01:26 AM
I was number one pick overall for duty station selection. Currently enjoying IMD department at SEC NY. I am going to be taking the NOV MST2 swe. Working on my FOSCR qual too, finally have a federalized case haha so its a battle to get sign offs.
tsosa89

--
02 Feb 2016 01:14 PM
I recently received my boot camp date of April 19th. I was trying to figure out the average wait time to expect between my temp station and MST A School? Obviously a lot can change between now and then, however, going in, my mind is set on MST. I qualify and I feel as if I would really enjoy it.
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
02 Feb 2016 03:41 PM
Your first set of orders after boot camp is not a temp station. That is a PCS move, permanent change of station. You will then go to MST A School, PCS if single/TAD if married. Then you will get another set of PCS orders to your first station as an MST3.

The wait time between boot camp and A School is whatever it takes. You need a minimum of 4 months before you can put your name on the A School list. You must first get your qualifications done, then be recommended for advancement by command, then get your name on the list. Then it is just waiting until your number comes up for class. What does the A School wait time look like right now? I haven't looked at the A School list in quite a while. But that truly doesn't matter... What the time is today might not be what it will be tomorrow. You are looking at graduating boot on June 10th (barring any issues)... Then it will be the end of October at the EARLIEST you can put your name on the list. That is 10 months from now. No way to really say it will be X amount of time.
Sector NY, Staten Island
tsosa89

--
02 Feb 2016 08:36 PM
Thanks for your response. I was under the impression a temp station was after boot. Thank you for clearing that up.
shivermetimbs

--
14 Feb 2016 05:05 PM
Hello everybody,
I'm very interested in going MST, but unfortunately I'm currently at a small boat station that doesn't have any nearby that I can chat with, so I'm seeing if any of my questions can be answered here.
I understand the main missions of MST, but am curious of the day to day schedule. Do they mainly day work 7-3? and when they aren't doing boardings, inspections, or anything out in the field, what kind of work are they doing? Is there much differences in being stationed at a sector, MSU or MSD?
I'm also interested in what MSTs would do at the international ice patrol and how hard it is to get stationed there as an MST3.
sorry for all the questions, I just want to be sure before I put my name on the a school list, but thank you in advance for all your help!
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 4 << < 1234 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement