Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
SK-STORE KEEPER
Last Post 19 Jan 2018 02:52 PM by Old Guard2. 51 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
Trusted Member
Cooch

--
18 Jun 2012 06:31 PM
You can also be boarding team qualified after A school. Any rating can get qualified as a boarding team member.
You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
AznCoastie

--
08 Dec 2012 11:03 PM
The coast guard website said SK A school is 7 weeks long but my friend said SK A school is 12 weeks long. Can someone tell me which one is correct?
Trusted Member
Cooch

--
08 Dec 2012 11:14 PM
Let me turn it around by asking you. Who would you believe, an official CG website, or a friend?

The site is correct.
AznCoastie

--
08 Dec 2012 11:55 PM
Cooch, does it matter if I'm planning on coming in as a reservist? Is A school for reservist different from AD for SK? My friend is actually an AD coast guardian and that's how I know about the coast guard. Either way, I'll take your word for it because my friend is not a recruiter or a SK.
Trusted Member
Cooch

--
09 Dec 2012 12:13 AM
They go through the exact same school. The students will be both active and reserve. It's a good job.
AznCoastie

--
09 Dec 2012 12:25 AM
From the sound of it...I assume you used to be a SK before you became a recruiter? I made the right choice then hahaha.

By the way, I'll be coming in DEPOT an an E3 then to A school. So after 7 weeks of A school, I have to take an exam and pass it in order to become an E4 correct? What happen if I don't pass it the first time? Do I get a 2nd try?
Trusted Member
Cooch

--
09 Dec 2012 12:44 AM
Correct. If you don't pass the first time, you have to wait 21 days to take it again. You should pass the first time though.

Yes, I'm still a storekeeper, but I've been recruiting for the past few years. I'll be headed back to the storekeeper world when I transfer to Bahrain this spring. I've enjoyed it for the most part. As with any job, there's positives and negatives. The good has outweighed the bad by far though.
AznCoastie

--
11 Dec 2012 12:07 AM
Cooch, thanks for all the great info.

Since, I'm going in as a SK reservist, do I do what an AD SK does? Or am I considered like a SK assistant since of not there all the time?
Trusted Member
Cooch

--
11 Dec 2012 03:54 PM
You will be considered just as much of an SK as active duty counterpart. The duties of the job vary from unit to unit, so it's tough to tell what you'll be doing. Most of my reserve SKs would start off by doing inventory and issuing gear to the reservists, as well as making up lists of things we needed to reorder. If they came in on weekdays, I would let them make purchases.
AznCoastie

--
11 Dec 2012 11:04 PM
Glad to hear that I can do what an AD SK would do.

Cooch, since you're going to Bahrain soon...are you going to still be around on this forum?
Trusted Member
Cooch

--
12 Dec 2012 07:16 AM
I'm undecided. I suppose if I can find the time, I'll still chime in every now and then. It all depends on the workload.
jmp87

--
31 Jan 2013 03:27 PM
can anyone tell me a definite answer as to if you can still strike the SK rate? Saddly i keep hearing different things and i really dont know what to listen to. being that the SK aschool list has 0 attendance for the next class and TBD for the 2 following that.
chacho

--
26 Feb 2013 09:04 AM
Does anybody know about the Capitalize Inventory for March 2013. so far there is not a message about it.

R.
duckygirl411

--
28 Feb 2013 05:58 PM
Im waiting for my credit check, if it checks out ill be SK as a reservists in Psu. I was wondering what i would be doing in-between boot and a school? boot would be june while a school would be next april. I am currently a store manager in my civilian job, will it be close to that or will i be doing random jobs before a school. Im assuming it will vary unit to unit.
Trusted Member
Cooch

--
01 Mar 2013 09:41 AM
For reservist SK's, you would mainly be focusing on inventorying and gear issue. While some reservists get a purchase card and are able to make purchases, it's not very common. While waiting for school, you would do your normal drill weekends and perhaps work with other reserve SK's. It will be up to your unit though.
Mr_Wolfin8or

--
08 Apr 2014 04:02 PM
I was wondering if advancing as an SK is a good rating to go if you eventually want to go to OCS? Thank you for your time.

Respectfully, 

Justin
coastie1212

--
17 Jul 2015 09:01 PM
I was wondering what SKs do on bigger cutters when underway, like what are their duties? Also, what is life like when the boat is moored up?
Basic Member
Basic Member
rfail1988

--
19 Jul 2015 06:34 PM
every rating is good for going OCS if you EERs are good enough.
esung002

--
02 Aug 2017 11:21 PM
Hey everyone. I'm scheduled to do my DEP swear-in sometime in the coming week. I've been talking to my recruiter about BM but haven't committed to that rate yet. When I took my ASVABS, I saw SK as a rate that I was thinking about pursuing. I met the Min. VE score of 51 but my combined VE+AR score was 104 and 105 is needed. Am I able to get some sort of waiver for this rate? If so, does that take long?
Trusted Member
Gears

--
03 Aug 2017 07:11 AM
Unless the rules have changed your first command should be able to give you up to a 5 point waiver for any A school you didn't qualify for. Whether or not they grant that waiver will largely depend on your performance at the unit. Good luck!
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
Haileyr9339

--
15 Jan 2018 09:44 PM
Where is A school located?
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
19 Jan 2018 02:52 PM
SK A School is in Petaluma, California
Sector NY, Staten Island
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement