Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
IV-INVESTIGATOR (RESERVE ONLY RATING)
Last Post 25 Feb 2014 08:20 AM by CPORJM. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Trusted Member / Administrator
chukles

--
10 Jan 2010 12:31 AM
    INVESTIGATOR (IV)

As an IV, you'll provide support to Coast Guard law enforcement and intelligence missions. You'll conduct both criminal and personal background investigations, collect and analyze intelligence information and provide personal protection services to high-ranking Coast Guard officials and other VIPs.

Types of Duty:

Possible assignments include criminal investigations for crimes relating to Coast Guard missions, interagency law enforcement and liaison operations, investigations into felony violations of the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), protective services operations, or law enforcement information collection.

Qualifications:

To enlist in this program, you must attend the Reserve Direct Officer Program. You must also be a graduate of a basic police or criminal investigator academy and be currently serving as a law-enforcement officer with a minimum of three year's experience.

Training:

Correspondence courses and on-the-job training provide the majority of your required training. Depending on the nature of your assigned duty, additional training at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Glynco, GA may be provided.

Related Civilian Jobs:

Criminal Investigator
    Detective
    Police Officer

Vr,
    Chuck

These poor, plain men, dwellers upon the lonely sands of Hatteras, took their lives in their hands, and, at the most imminent risk crossed the most tumultuous sea…and all for what? That others might live to see home and friends. — Annual Report of the U.S. Life- Saving Service, 1885

Recruiting Website

Read here for answers to the most often asked questions about joining the Coast Guard!

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    willekg

--
    21 Feb 2011 12:03 PM
    So in order to put your name on this list you must have current police experience?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ClaytonR

--
    05 Aug 2012 12:00 PM
    Perhaps I'll be able to learn more when I'm actually in the Reserves, but does anyone have anymore information about this rating?

I don't meet all the qualifications right now(only 2.5 years in LE right now), and the USCG Recruiting video about this rating said at least 30 college credits prior to applying...is this a rating I could pursue after time in the reserves, additional experience in Law Enforcement and after I get my credits? Is it something like a strikeable rating where I can try for it down the road in my CGR career?

Thanks!
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    01 Sep 2012 10:32 PM
    The members of this rating recruit for their own. This isn't a rating that you place your name on a school list for.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CPORJM

--
    25 Mar 2013 09:16 PM
    The members of this rating recruit for their own. This isn't a rating that you place your name on a school list for.
    Very true. The recruitment process for IV kind of goes in reverse as opposed to the other ratings. For those interested in becoming an IV, they will first interview w/ the CGIS detachment, then go through the recruitment process. This is done to ensure they are suitable for CGIS before the recruiter invests a lot of time and effort into bringing them into the CG.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    CWhitmarsh

--
    23 Apr 2013 10:16 AM
    The information contained within this forum is pretty accurate, though I'll add one caveat.

There have been several CG Reservists who have switched ratings to become an IV. Though, they are all people who still meet all of the aforementioned criteria. The process is fluid and changes based on the thoughts and focus of the Director. If you are interested in being an IV, there are several benefits to being a different rate first. As an IV, you have less oversight and involvement from others as to your readiness. You will receive information about what you need to do to maintain your readiness, but often times that is where the information flow stops. So the more versed you are with the standards and requirements expected of a CG reservist, the less this will affect you as an IV. Hopefully that made sense.

If you are a current CG reservist and meet the other criteria to be an IV, contact your local CGIS office and inquire. Also, the better your resume looks in your civilian LE role, the better you will look as an applicant to CGIS. If you are first told that there aren't any open billets (as is often the case) keep checking back.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CPORJM

--
    23 Apr 2013 09:15 PM
    Posted By CWhitmarsh on 23 Apr 2013 11:16 AM
    The information contained within this forum is pretty accurate, though I'll add one caveat.

There have been several CG Reservists who have switched ratings to become an IV. Though, they are all people who still meet all of the aforementioned criteria. The process is fluid and changes based on the thoughts and focus of the Director. If you are interested in being an IV, there are several benefits to being a different rate first. As an IV, you have less oversight and involvement from others as to your readiness. You will receive information about what you need to do to maintain your readiness, but often times that is where the information flow stops. So the more versed you are with the standards and requirements expected of a CG reservist, the less this will affect you as an IV. Hopefully that made sense.

If you are a current CG reservist and meet the other criteria to be an IV, contact your local CGIS office and inquire. Also, the better your resume looks in your civilian LE role, the better you will look as an applicant to CGIS. If you are first told that there aren't any open billets (as is often the case) keep checking back.

As an IV for the past 8 years, I'd have to say this is spot on.  Most CGIS dets look for applicants that have a wide civilian LE background and CGR background.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ClaytonR

--
    24 Apr 2013 09:49 AM
    Another sincere thank you to you both.

I have been in LE for three years, with 5 years of 911 experience before I transferred over. The IV rating is what initially caught my eye in the CGR. Part of why I decided to go CGR is to get my degree so I can get into federal LE later on down the road. Your posts have offered a lot of insight into what I need to do to go IV/CGIS.

Thank you again.
    jond36

--
    19 Feb 2014 11:24 PM
    Is there any other way to get into IV if you are not currently a LEO?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    20 Feb 2014 05:32 AM
    Probably not. I hate to say absolutely not because there are always exceptions to rules but I'm thinking this one is just about a ZERO exception to that LE requirement.
    USCGC Midgett
    jond36

--
    20 Feb 2014 07:58 AM
    Thank you Sir. It makes sense. 1811 special agents have a lot of liability that I am sure the CG doesnt just hand out.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ClaytonR

--
    25 Feb 2014 07:10 AM
    I tried for a position that opened up at TRACEN Petaluma when I was a month away from boot camp. At that point I had just over 3 years in law enforcement and was/still am currently employed in civilian LE. Even that wasn't enough. Even though the minimum requirement is 3 years and currently employed in the field, I think they want more. CPORJM can probably answer that question better though.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CPORJM

--
    25 Feb 2014 08:20 AM
    Posted By jond36 on 20 Feb 2014 12:24 AM
    Is there any other way to get into IV if you are not currently a LEO?

Nope, and that is a hard and fast rule.  Even if you're currently working as a LEO, but just barely make the 3 year experience cut, you more than likely won't be selected.  CGIS wants applicants with a wide spectrum of experience for the IV rate.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement