Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Couple quick questions before i go to MEPS
Last Post 28 Jan 2010 02:54 AM by Vikingsailor796. 14 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ScottSky

--
20 Jan 2010 04:32 PM
    First off, I know a lot of these questions can be answered in a search, but for some reason everytime I tried to use the search function today, it would take forever to load, and then take me to a error page, so I apologize.

Anyways... I am going to MEPS on Tuesday to get this physical done, just a couple quick questions I had on top of my head...

I know it says not to have any kinda of hair that is going to affect your height, well I have short hair, like very short hair, but I keep it gelled all the time, is this okay?  It doesnt change my height at all, maybe a centimeter or two at most, but it can be pushed down without a problem, I just wanted to make sure showing up with gel in my hair isn't going to cause any kind of problem.

Also, I know how long it takes varies depending on how many people are there, but what is the average time, if anyone can guess or estimate a time that would be great, the only reason I ask is because I work at 5:30pm (night shift) and I would like to let them know i'll be late if for some reason the physical does take 11 hours, im pretty sure it won't, but better to be sure.

and my last question...

At the end of the day (MEPS) I will know that day if anything DQ'd me or not, right?  I think im going to do fine, I have no past medical/health issues, never broken a bone, I'm no where near over weight, I just worry about something crazy popping up haha, just nervous is all.  But mainly what Im asking is, by the end of that day, I will know whether or not I am qualified, correct?  And what would be the next step?  Do they send something to my recruiter and then he contacts me? Or should I call him maybe the next day and let him know everything went well and im ready for the next step...

Any advice is extremely helpful. And thanks in advance, as always, this forum is great!

-Scott

p.s. - im gettin exciteddddd hop
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    mochi

--
    20 Jan 2010 05:10 PM
    As far as how long it takes, I arrived at MEPS at 5am and finally left around 1pm. More waiting, than actually doing stuff. lol. The three other Coast Guard applicants also got out the same time I did. Some people, are there ALL day...just depends I guess.

We all were able to see if we "passed" our physicals before we left. The liaison then sent our information to our recruiters. Anyhow, any other questions you have while at MEPS, the liaison there should be of great assistance.

Bring something to read if anything else. Lots of waiting.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ejhcougar

--
    20 Jan 2010 05:11 PM
    Scott,

MEPS, at least when I went through, can and usually will take all day long. When I did my physical I got there at 5 in the morning and I left at 6pm, long day of waiting. In most cases you will know if your are DQ'd right there for something physical at least. I'm not sure how the info will get to your recruiter, mine was at MEPS with me so I didn't have to worry about that but my guess is you can ask and someone will let you know exactly what will be done. Someone else may be able to get more specific for you. Good luck!
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    20 Jan 2010 06:20 PM
    i went in meps just for a reweigh at 5am and left around 3pm because the system was down.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bahchic

--
    20 Jan 2010 07:06 PM
    I went to MEPS at 5 am and didn't leave until 6 pm. I was completed with the process from 1 pm but had to wait on the other recruits because we all came by a charter bus from the recruiters office. I hope you are driving to MEPS or else it could be a longgg wait.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MSTWNAB

--
    20 Jan 2010 07:13 PM
    I was there from 5am to about 1pm. Meps was calling taxis for those who needed a ride so they didn't have to sit around waiting for everyone to finish. There was a lot of waiting going on, but bring your helmsman and keep on memorizing those general orders.
    USCG SN
    = FY11
    ScottSky

--
    21 Jan 2010 05:10 AM
    Thanks for the advice so far! Much appreciated!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    uscg_nickg

--
    21 Jan 2010 05:54 AM
    When I went I got there at 6am and left around 1pm. About the DQ questions they let you know or else you wont be able to swear in. Just for a heads up there 2 people in my group that DQ'd. One was for tattoo's/weight and other was for being allergic to something. Im not sure what it was but just being allergic to something is enough to be DQ'd. Just letting you know incase you are and you want to get over it quick ;-)

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    21 Jan 2010 11:46 AM
    uscg_nickg said...
    Im not sure what it was but just being allergic to something is enough to be DQ'd.

It depends on the allergy. I know several members of the CG that have food allergies, peanuts, etc. That are doing just fine. The unit FSs were notified about the condition, and life goes on.

"When you fall on your face you are still moving forward."

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    ScottSky

--
    21 Jan 2010 06:29 PM
    Yah, I should be okay with that as well, I am not allergic to anything. So im hoping all goes well :)
    ScottSky

--
    26 Jan 2010 01:30 AM
    recruiter called me this morning...

instead of going to MEPS tomorrow morning, its been pushed back till Thursday, im getting anxious! im ready to get this over with! HAHA. cant wait!
    jennahfurrr

--
    26 Jan 2010 11:01 PM
    i got there at 5:45a and left around 2p. with the exception of the pap test, everything is very basic - blood draw, vision, paperwork, meeting with dr.'s. there was a girl next to me that wasn't eligbile to enlist because of her eyesight. i did not DEP in the same day though, like others with me did. that may also be why many didn't get out until 6p.

ScottSky

--
    27 Jan 2010 05:55 PM
    Tomorrow morning!!!
    littlemyers56

--
    27 Jan 2010 06:57 PM
    I went to MEPS with ejhcougar and I was out of there by 1. I choose to take a train back to the hotel so i didn't have to wait for everyone. I was temp DQ because of weight on the spot.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Vikingsailor796

--
    28 Jan 2010 02:54 AM
    I have a funny meps story. Me and My cousin went to meps in october and We were the only 2 that couldnt pee. I mean I broke my collar bone and spraind my ankle severly and passed. But yet the only thing that held my back was Peeing in a cup haha. And my cousin finished before me and she was tearing up and i was like Whats wrong shes all "I couldnt pee in a cup" im like are you serious neither could I!

Regardless we came back on monday after getting up at 3 am and driving 2 hours to meps. Drank about a gallon of water and bam knocked it out! haha. just a funny story. The only 2 people who couldnt pee that day were family.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement