Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
New Here
Last Post 26 Jan 2010 03:10 PM by gallonofmilk. 11 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
CardinalsRule

--
21 Jan 2010 02:31 AM
    My name is Travis and I have been reading these forums for a while now and I have taken the the first steps. Im meeting with my recruiter on Feb 2nd for the first time. I have read that I should dress like its a formal interview whcih I plan on. I have also read that some people create binders/folder with information about themselves. I was wondering if any has or done that what kind of information did you include? My recruiter did not ask me to bring any paperwork or documnets so I was just wondering the sort of things you all put in your's folder/binder. Thanks for any advice. I cant wait to get this process started.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    mochi

--
    21 Jan 2010 02:44 AM
    I'm on my way to boot camp March 2nd and was very fortunate to have such an awesome recruiter who processed everything in a very timely manner.

My initial experience: my recruiter called me up right after receiving my initial paperwork and said for me to bring identification documents such as birth certificate, driver's license, etc. I never thought about actually "dressing up". But I did look presentable of course. I'm not sure about the importance of bringing your own personal biography. But I guess it wouldn't hurt. Like any job, be courteous and professional throughout the entire process as they would much appreciate it.

Good luck on everything!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    21 Jan 2010 11:29 AM
    The best thing you can do is talk to you recruiter. The CG doesn't fill boots, you are interviewing for a position on a Cutter Crew, Small Boat Crew, or Air Crew. Ask questions, lots of them. Ask about your recruiters experiences, why did they join, sea stories, etc. Good Luck.

"When you fall on your face you are still moving forward."

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    MAMT08

--
    22 Jan 2010 12:19 AM
    So far I have had only one initial meeting with my recruiter. He did not mention to bring anything and my sense is that he just wanted to meet with me, talk a little bit, and get an initial impression of me. I did arrive to the meeting on time and dressed in a shirt, tie, khakis, and nice overcoat. I didn't bring a resume but I did bring a legal pad and pen with some questions that I had prepared ahead of time to ask him.
    CardinalsRule

--
    22 Jan 2010 01:40 AM
    Thanks. I plan on writing down some questions and bring them with me so I dont forget. Did you take notes just to write down some information he gave about your questions. I tend to get over prepared about things. What is good amount of questions to ask? I know quality over quanity but I dont want to be over bearing with them either. Thanks once again.
    <!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 1/22/2010 2:41:20 AM GMT

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    22 Jan 2010 12:30 PM
    Ask all the questions you want. Part of the recruiter's job is to answer all of your questions. Don't hold back.

"When you fall on your face you are still moving forward."

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Potato2

--
    23 Jan 2010 02:21 PM
    I've been bombarding my recrfuiter with questions on a weekly basis...I couldn't think of any when I first met him, but as time went on there was so much I Was curious about and needed to know.

They WANT you to ask them questions. It shows how interested you are in the CG.

In love I was created and in love I hope to die

Heading out to bootcamp May 4th :)
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lan56

--
    24 Jan 2010 08:31 PM
    Ask technical questions too, as in, ask what YOU can get out of it too. Ask if there is any kind of bonus such as for college credits (if you have them), what kinds of districts and rates can be guaranteed, inquire how the GI bill (Montgomery and Post-9/11) works, ask contract lengths that are available, etc....

Asking specific questions about what they have to offer makes you seem like you've done some research. If you go in and just say, "Will I get to jump out of helicopters??" or "Have you ever shot someone?!?" won't lol.
    CardinalsRule

--
    25 Jan 2010 12:31 AM
    I have been reading up on the Coast Guard for several months. I'm pretty sure I have watched every YouTube video I could find and I have looked through this forum several times over.Ihave formulated some good questions so far but Im still revising them. I might be over prepared for this being my intial meeting with my recruiter but oh well. Thanks for all the replies. Im just ready to get started.
    <!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 1/25/2010 1:32:56 AM GMT

gallonofmilk

--
    26 Jan 2010 02:51 PM
    Ha I'm glad I'm not the only one who has watched just about every YouTube video and scoured these forums over and over as well. Every time I start to ask my recruiter questions I find my answers on here or somewhere else first.

"One man has enthusiasm for 30 minutes, another for 30 days, but it is the man who has it for 30 years who makes a success of his life."
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    26 Jan 2010 02:56 PM
    In case you haven't seen them, go HERE for lots of good pics, video, audio, etc.

gallonofmilk

--
    26 Jan 2010 03:10 PM
    Great, now I have something else to help pass the time at work. Cool stuff. Thanks pepperdoggie.

BC date of May 11, 2010.

"One man has enthusiasm for 30 minutes, another for 30 days, but it is the man who has it for 30 years who makes a success of his life."

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement