Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
how disqualified am i?
Last Post 04 Feb 2010 11:39 PM by topped_out. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Warren

--
03 Feb 2010 08:28 AM
    I've been looking into the military reserves as a way to move forward with my life, and after talking with some recruiters it has left me with a few doubts...
    First off, i was arrested at 13 for domestic battery and may have also been charged with resisting arrest. after going thru a navy recruiter and contacting the state, county, and local law enforcement, nobody has any records on me, im not in the system according to everyone ive spoken to.

should i still mention this at meps? my parents cant give me any information on what happened, they just pretend it never happened and cant tell me if anything was sealed/expunged etc.

the other issue is that i was on antidepressants and ADD medication as a child. again my parents tell me not to say anything about it since i went thru a family doctor and there isnt any way for the military to see my medical records (or is there?). (i havent been on any meds since middle school and im 23 now)

im just really confused about what disqualifies me and what should be mentioned to the recruiters or at meps.

other than what i've already mentioned, i have zero medical problems, scored high on my ASVAB, im not in any debt, and i dont have any kids.

what should i do if i want to enlist in the coast guard reserves?
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    03 Feb 2010 12:48 PM
    It is called fraudulent enlistment, and I am going to say it boldly, IT WILL BE DISCOVERED. A local check may or may not show, but the minute a National security background check takes place it will show. Many people have tried to hide this and have failed.

Even if a record has been sealed, expunged, or strickened from the records, it has not gone away. The minute the background checks are activated it will show.

Domestic Battery Charges are 100% disqualifying.

Depending on when, how long, and for what reasons you were on anti depressents will determine wether it is disqualifying, but to set your excpectations clearly, it is more than likely going to prevent you from joining as well.

You need, and must, report this to your recruiter! Your background paperwork asks if you now have or ever have had any of the following. Do not risk jail time and a dishonorable discharge over this, I assure you it is not worth it.

Understand the Coast Guard is a Federal Law enforcement agency and our background checks are very thourough. It will be caught.

It sounds like your parents and the Navy recruiter are setting you up for failure. BE smart, and disclose the issues.

Vr,
    Chuck

These poor, plain men, dwellers upon the lonely sands of Hatteras, took their lives in their hands, and, at the most imminent risk crossed the most tumultuous sea…and all for what? That others might live to see home and friends. — Annual Report of the U.S. Life- Saving Service, 1885

Recruiting Website

Read here for answers to the most often asked questions about joining the Coast Guard!

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    topped_out

--
    03 Feb 2010 06:44 PM
    Hmmm....I was arrested 13 years ago when I was 18 for disorderly conduct but the case was dismissed. I told my recruiter about it but he said to "leave it off...if it was dropped or dismissed don't worry".

But, it was only the "preliminary" application....one sheet document.
    <!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 2/3/2010 7:45:12 PM GMT

Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    03 Feb 2010 08:30 PM
    With the way your post is worded, your recruiter is giving you bad information and setting you up for failure. Make sure you are on the same page with your recruiter as He will take care of you.

Vr,
    Chuck

These poor, plain men, dwellers upon the lonely sands of Hatteras, took their lives in their hands, and, at the most imminent risk crossed the most tumultuous sea…and all for what? That others might live to see home and friends. — Annual Report of the U.S. Life- Saving Service, 1885

Recruiting Website

Read here for answers to the most often asked questions about joining the Coast Guard!

<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 2/3/2010 3:45:01 PM GMT

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    topped_out

--
    04 Feb 2010 11:39 PM
    Agreed and understood Chukles. I made the situation very clear regarding what happened, however, he did say to leave it off. At that point...what am I to do? I asked the proverbial, "Are you sure Sir?" three separate times but his answer was the same.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement