Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Terminology
Last Post 05 Feb 2010 05:06 PM by ejhcougar. 14 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
Jessica07

--
04 Feb 2010 09:49 PM
    What does rate / non-rate mean? blush

Thanks
    Coastie Hopeful 2011 ~ Semper Paratus!
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    04 Feb 2010 09:59 PM
    A "Rated" person in the Coast Guard has attended their school of choice (BM, MK, MST etc).

A "non-rate" is someone still in the process of choosing their school,waiting for orders to attend school.

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Jessica07

--
    04 Feb 2010 10:01 PM
    Makes sense. Thanks!
    Coastie Hopeful 2011 ~ Semper Paratus!
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    04 Feb 2010 10:45 PM
    So, in other words, 'non-rate' is another word for 'pre-schooler'?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Bored of Desk Jobs

--
    05 Feb 2010 03:04 AM
    Exactly! And E-4's are babysitters!

It all begins February 16th 2010!

" height="200" width="200" quality="high" loop="infinite" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgiP1_Prod_Version=Shockwaveflash">

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    05 Feb 2010 03:58 AM
    Only BM3s are babysitters. Everyone else is useful.

"When you fall on your face, you are still moving forward."

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Bored of Desk Jobs

--
    05 Feb 2010 04:16 AM
    Who holds the FN's hand?

It all begins February 16th 2010!

" height="200" width="200" quality="high" loop="infinite" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgiP1_Prod_Version=Shockwaveflash">

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    05 Feb 2010 11:07 AM
    FN are trained to be self-sufficient upon their arrival at the unit. No hand holding required.

"When you fall on your face, you are still moving forward."

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ejhcougar

--
    05 Feb 2010 02:00 PM
    Ok so I have been wondering this for a while. What dictates whether you are a SN or a FN upon entering the fleet?

"You only like Armageddon because they send a bunch of roughnecks to save the world..." - Ex Boss

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    05 Feb 2010 02:10 PM
    The unit you are assigned to determines whether you are a SN or FN. If you are a SN with aspirations of becoming an MK, with command approval, you can make the switch to FN.

"I have the terrible feeling that, because I am wearing a white beard and am sitting in the back of the theatre, you expect me to tell you the truth about something. These are the cheap seats, not Mount Sinai."

-Orson Welles

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ejhcougar

--
    05 Feb 2010 02:38 PM
    Ah gotcha, I'm looking at becoming an EM so that's why I asked. Plus if I decide not to make the CG a career I'll probably head down the path of becoming a smokejumper, so the FN would look good on a resume for them. All of this is, of course, almost a decade away at best! Well the "after" the cg part...

"You only like Armageddon because they send a bunch of roughnecks to save the world..." - Ex Boss

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    05 Feb 2010 02:42 PM
    FN and Fireman (Captkyguy) aren't the same thing. The FN in the CG are the non rates that work for the engineering department. They do basic engine/auxiliary equipment maintenance, bilge diving, mess cooking, and all the normal mundane non rate duties.

"I have the terrible feeling that, because I am wearing a white beard and am sitting in the back of the theatre, you expect me to tell you the truth about something. These are the cheap seats, not Mount Sinai."

-Orson Welles

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ejhcougar

--
    05 Feb 2010 03:08 PM
    I know this, but part of wildland fire recruits is the engineering maintenance which is what I was getting at, sorry for the confusion. I've got heavy diesel experience but the way the resume works it doesn't read that way. Oh well, I'll take it one step at a time...

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    05 Feb 2010 03:41 PM
    It's cool Cougar, just wanted be sure you weren't misinformed somewhere along the way.

-Orson Welles

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ejhcougar

--
    05 Feb 2010 05:06 PM
    No problem, thanks!

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement