Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Took a practice ASVAB online...little disappointed
Last Post 17 Feb 2010 03:43 AM by Potato2. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
topped_out

--
06 Feb 2010 05:12 PM
    Morning all-

I took a practice ASVAB online yesterday and scored an 80% out of 111 questions. Some of the mechanical aptitude and electronics stuff threw me way off.

I've been out of school for some time (31 y/o) and was a little rusty....okay a lot rusty.  How well do those study guides prepare you?  Or the "ASVAB for Dummies" book(s)??

It just struck me as a test where either you know....or don't know the material.  I can't imagine how a study guide would prepare you.

sad 
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Bored of Desk Jobs

--
    06 Feb 2010 05:25 PM
    They'll help you tremendously. "Oh, I forgot that I had to carry the 4!" Everything is trainable, especially from study suggestions/tips, and repetition. You will do math and remember (or learn for the first time) how to do a certain formula. The paragraph comprehension can only get easier and easier as you practice, plus the books give you suggestions on what to look for in the paragraphs.

Mainly work on your English and math, as that makes up your AQFT score.

It all begins February 16th 2010!

" height="200" width="200" quality="high" loop="infinite" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgiP1_Prod_Version=Shockwaveflash">

topped_out

--
    06 Feb 2010 05:51 PM
    Great answer and thank you for the quick reply! The English and math portions were actually my strongest areas. It was all of the "How much voltage is passing through.....if there's 8 ohms" stuff that had me wanting to throw my laptop out the window lol.

Now......the all important question: Would a recruiter be able to recommend a study guide that is better than the other? Are they all the same?

Thanks again!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Bored of Desk Jobs

--
    06 Feb 2010 08:08 PM
    I'd go with Dummies Guide, but all study guides are relative.

The English and math sections are the only sections that effect your main (AFQT) score. However, if you want to do certain jobs, DC & MK for example, you have to do well in wood shop and auto mechanics respectfully.

usmilitary.about.com/od/cgjoin/l/blcgjobs.htm has a list of all the ratings and the required ASVAB scores required to do them.

It all begins February 16th 2010!

" height="200" width="200" quality="high" loop="infinite" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgiP1_Prod_Version=Shockwaveflash">

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AET2b

--
    07 Feb 2010 04:30 PM
    recommend the ASVAB for Dummies book, worked great!!

The electronics part is mostly memorization, remembering what each band on a resistor means and what each symbol means and basic volts/amps. For the test anyways.

Study Hard,... You will do great!
    jchristine23

--
    08 Feb 2010 02:07 AM
    McGraw-Hill has an ASVAB book out that is pretty good. It was co-written by a guy that actually helped with the real ASVAB and plus the book comes with a CD-ROM so that you can several practice test on the computer that are similar to the ASVAB that you take at MEPS.
    ScottSky

--
    08 Feb 2010 09:17 PM
    I used ASVAB for Dummies, and it helped me verrrry much.

the four main subjects to study;
    paragraph comprehenstion
    word knowledge
    math knowledge
    arithmatic reasoning

those four make up your AFQT score, which is your qualifying score
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jchen012

--
    17 Feb 2010 03:30 AM
    Go to your local Barnes and Noble and they have many to choose from. I too have no experience with cars and pretty much bombed the auto shop section. But my AFQT was 97 so I qualified for everything. The english and math are the most important. What would your AFQT be from your practice test?

AFQT = AR + MK + 2xVE (where VE = PC + WK)

<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 2/16/2010 7:33:38 PM GMT

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Potato2

--
    17 Feb 2010 03:43 AM
    I went to my local library and they had a few ASVAB study guides that you could check out. Just make sure they are relatively recent.

Heading out to bootcamp May 4th :)

Heading out to bootcamp May 4th :)
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement