Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
$$expenses, moving
Last Post 22 Feb 2010 04:56 AM by mochi. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
dpangbu

--
20 Feb 2010 03:18 PM
    Will the Coast Guard assist in moving all of my belongings to where ever I may be stationed for my first assigment? I live in a condo which is equivilent to about a two bedroom apartment, and have a good amount of stuff such as couches, beds, tables etc.

Also what kind of living expenses are given to enlisted "single people", or married couples? Does the Coast Guard give an allowance, if so how much is it generally in either of the situations I mentioned?

One more question, what type of assistance if any would an enlisted person's wife receive? job placement..school..etc... Basically what would happen with an enlisted person's wife, will they be helped in any way in getting situated, or would they pretty much be on their own?

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    chouvener

--
    20 Feb 2010 04:42 PM
    If you are doing a Government move, the CG will pay to pack/ship all of your goods to your new unit. I belive there is a weight limit, what that is I'm not sure, but I can imagine it won't be less than a DITY (do it yourself) move, which for E-3 not married is 7000lbs, 8000lbs if you are married. If you choose a DITY, you pack and move all your stuff yourself, and you're reimbursed for the travel and weight of your goods.

If you're singel, depending on where you're going, you could find yourself in a Barracks (most likely if you're on a Cutter) or getting single BAH to live on the economy. BAH is bassed on the zip code you live in and varries from city to city. If you're married BAH goes up, once again depending on your location, the amount is different.

Larger CG bases have Assistant programs and offices that help with spouse's employment/school etc. If you're at a smaller unit, your XO usually fulfills these rolls and can give you assistance.

In it 4Life

MST-A 07-10! Patiently awaiting Apr 1st!

Marine Science Technician 3rd Class
    MSD Kodiak, AK
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    mochi

--
    22 Feb 2010 02:15 AM
    Yet another moving question. lol.

My daughter and all my belongings are all at my parents house in California, which is where my "home" is stated as. After I graduate from boot camp, my husband plans on flying over from the east coast to meet me back in California where we plan on driving all together in my car over to wherever my duty station will be. However, I still want the government to pack my stuff and move it to my station.

1) Will the Coast Guard pay for my ticket home if I'm driving to my duty station?

2) When does the moving company actually pack and move everything? After my graduation or before? I just don't want to return "home" and have ALL my clothes packed and have absolutely nothing else to wear for a week or so.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    22 Feb 2010 02:29 AM
    1. No. That's leave travel.
    2. Yes.<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 2/22/2010 3:53:32 AM GMT

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    BBODJ

--
    22 Feb 2010 02:52 AM
    Wep's answer to #2 was pretty good but here's some more advice just going off logic..

If you are worried about it, bring a change of clothes for starters. There's no reason to wear a shirt again that you spent all day traveling in before if you can help it! Throw some extra undies, socks, and a shirt in your bag. They won't take up any room at all since there's barely anything you need to bring to Cape May to begin with, and will be stored away in your bag during basic.

As for the other days, keep a separate bag at home with your parents of clothes and things that you do not want moved and clearly label it. Leave it in a different room than the other stuff if you are concerned that it might get packed up by mistake.

Search around the forums, there are a lot of very helpful posts with good information on moving from people with lots of experience.

"I find the great thing in this world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

"I find the great thing in this world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    mochi

--
    22 Feb 2010 03:00 AM
    Thanks for the replies. Something will work out either way.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    BBODJ

--
    22 Feb 2010 03:01 AM
    Hope it all goes smoothly and good luck to you!

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    mochi

--
    22 Feb 2010 04:56 AM
    *sigh*... new riddling question that I think will be answered "no": If most of my actual belongings such as household furniture and kitchen appliances are located in a storage shed on the east coast (I live in California), would the Coast Guard pay to have those items moved as well?

Oh the conundrum! I think things would be just about 100% easier if my spouse, daughter, main house furniture and I were living all under one roof versus across the country.

So I REALLY don't want to pay for another moving truck, if I do, it was our responsibility to begin with. But here's the potential costly problem I may be encountering: all our furniture (couches, bedroom sets, PIANO, washing/dryer machines....household items, etc) are all on the east coast in a storage shed under my husband's name.

As stated before, my daughter and I along with our basic belongings (clothes, books, toys) are all here in California - the "home" stated in my paperwork. Please don't inquire as to why we have been living separately.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement