Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
so excited cant wait
Last Post 27 Feb 2010 05:38 PM by ejhcougar. 37 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
mgm12

--
21 Feb 2010 08:53 PM
    Finally finished all my enlistment process and DEP'd I LEAVE AUGUST 3 yea it may be a long time but since im still a senior in high school the time will go by fast i got a little military ID stating that im enlisted already so i can go to movies on base or the gym or poool or the exchange im so happy hope time goes bye really really fast!!!!!!

August 3 is day!!!

August 3 is day!!!
    Chrisp

--
    21 Feb 2010 10:43 PM
    How'd you get that ID, I've been deped in for months and I leave next week and all I have is a certificate of the oath ha.

Coastie Almostie

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Potato2

--
    22 Feb 2010 12:00 AM
    I wasn't issued an ID either...I'm curious as to how you got one as well lol

Good to hear that you recieved a bootcamp date! I've read on this forum that fall is a pretty nice time to be at Cape May. You'll be able to make the most of your summer!

Heading out to bootcamp May 4th :)

Heading out to bootcamp May 4th :)
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AET2b

--
    22 Feb 2010 04:01 AM
    ID? Certificate of Oath? I didn't get any of this... Sure wish I had a military ID though!! LUCKY :)
    Chrisp

--
    22 Feb 2010 06:26 PM
    Yeah seriously that's mad weird though. The certificate is just the Oath of enlistment and you sign the bottom and then like a major or someone pretty high up who swears you in signs the bottom as well.

Coastie Almostie

Punctual

--
    22 Feb 2010 06:30 PM
    I'm only joining for the military ID.

;)
    gallonofmilk

--
    22 Feb 2010 06:55 PM
    I got neither the certificate or anything stating I can go ahead and get a military ID. I didn't think we'd get our military ID's until after basic...

BC date of May 11, 2010.

"One man has enthusiasm for 30 minutes, another for 30 days, but it is the man who has it for 30 years who makes a success of his life."

"One man has enthusiasm for 30 minutes, another for 30 days, but it is the man who has it for 30 years who makes a success of his life."
    Chrisp

--
    23 Feb 2010 01:39 AM
    You don't lol that's the weird part.

Coastie Almostie

Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    23 Feb 2010 02:30 AM
    I'm a little confused by this. I may come off as harsh here, but how are you able to get the benefits of an enlisted member of the military when you yourself are not enlisted yet? You are not a member of the armed forces until the day you ship off for basic.

R/

PO1 Kevin Couture

You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Punctual

--
    23 Feb 2010 04:37 AM
    That's kind of wierd, but I have a friend who just shipped off for Army basic and she was DEP'd in. She had a little ID card that allowed her on to Camp Mabry here in Austin so she could use the gym and workout facilities with her other local DEP'ers.

She never explained it in full to me, but it sounded odd to me.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Jessica07

--
    23 Feb 2010 04:52 AM
    When my boyfriend DEP'd into the Navy, he got a DEP ID which worked like a military ID in terms of military discounts (there are no local military facilities, but it worked for those too).
    Coastie Hopeful 2011 ~ Semper Paratus!
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    23 Feb 2010 02:01 PM
    I can understand if the other services do it. I'm trying to understand how someone who is DEP'd in for the Coast Guard can do it. This is far from common practice.

R/

PO1 Kevin Couture

Chrisp

--
    23 Feb 2010 08:50 PM
    Me too it's like really odd and unheard of. I wish the kid would respond.

Coastie Almostie

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    mgm12

--
    24 Feb 2010 01:47 AM
    hey sorry it took so long to answer about the ID i just went to the security office at the base near my house and with the DEP contract and they gave me this ID which i can use to enter the exchange and the gym and the movies at base and stuff like that i cant take people with me because it is limited and i cant buy alcohol nor tobacco but its pretty cool... cooch why would you expect that from other branches of the military and not the coast guard?

August 3 is day!!!

August 3 is day!!!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    mgm12

--
    24 Feb 2010 01:49 AM
    oo and i cant take it with to basic because it expires the day before i ship out

August 3 is day!!!

August 3 is day!!!
    Chrisp

--
    24 Feb 2010 04:04 PM
    Because my friend was joining the Marines and I was about to with him, and I remember he was deped in and they gave him this almost like a get out of jail free card he used to show cops when he would get pulled over. I figured that they gave it to him so that he wouldn't get in trouble and they could ship him off, plus so the recruiters would get paid. But that makes a lot of sense, I thought you meant like a real military ID which would be odd because you aren't really enlisted until you swear in right before you leave, like you can still turn back now, so can I until this monday when they swear me in the second time and ship me off.

Coastie Almostie

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    24 Feb 2010 04:08 PM
    Get pulled over & get out of jail free... I have never heard of such a thing. And there are cops out there, you throw something out like that, if they are retired military, you just might get the exact opposite reaction. You should know better and live to the Corps Values and be in MORE trouble then if you just took your ticket like a man!

And so the recruiters get paid?!?!?!?! Funny, I think Chukles & Cooch get paid every 1st & 15th like every other Coastie... bring in 1 or bring in 100, the paycheck for Chief is deposited.

I think you may be understanding that neat little card your friend got in a completely incorrect light!

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    mgm12

--
    24 Feb 2010 09:01 PM
    yea i dont think my little card will get me out of a traffic ticket i wouldn't even show it i would just give him the license and stay quiet

August 3 is day!!!

August 3 is day!!!
    Downoutlaw

--
    24 Feb 2010 09:33 PM
    "I figured that they gave it to him so that he wouldn't get in trouble and they could ship him off, plus so the recruiters would get paid."

This is the most insane thing I've seen all day.
    And it's been a long day.

I would keep that card in my pocket if I was you.

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    mgm12

--
    24 Feb 2010 11:13 PM
    i just use it for the gym and the exchange thats all ooh and the movies

August 3 is day!!!

August 3 is day!!!
    Chrisp

--
    25 Feb 2010 12:19 AM
    I meant that like that the other recruiters get paid by how many people they get to join, I don't my recruiter told me he doesn't get paid that way and it's just another reason he wouldn't lie to anybody because it doesn't matter to him. Also he was supposed to give the card to the cops he was just supposed to make it so the cop saw it, it worked like 11 times. It wasn't an ID card it was like a card saying he deped in with a signature.

Coastie Almostie

Chrisp

--
    25 Feb 2010 12:20 AM
    I don't know*

Coastie Almostie

Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    25 Feb 2010 01:09 AM
    mgm12 said...
    hey sorry it took so long to answer about the ID i just went to the security office at the base near my house and with the DEP contract and they gave me this ID which i can use to enter the exchange and the gym and the movies at base and stuff like that i cant take people with me because it is limited and i cant buy alcohol nor tobacco but its pretty cool... cooch why would you expect that from other branches of the military and not the coast guard?
    You answered your own question.... Because it's not something that the Coast Guard does.  The base can choose to do what they want.  The Coast Guard doesn't issue the ID to you, the DOD base does.

R/

PO1 Kevin Couture

Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    25 Feb 2010 01:13 AM
    Just wanted to add - Pleeeeease don't try and get out of a ticket by flashing an ID or DEP contract. In many cases, it is almost the same as begging for a larger ticket.

R/

PO1 Kevin Couture

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    25 Feb 2010 01:47 AM
    Cooch said...
    Just wanted to add - Pleeeeease don't try and get out of a ticket by flashing an ID or DEP contract. In many cases, it is almost the same as begging for a larger ticket.

I concur completely with what Cooch said but, in some locales a young man driving around with an out-of-state license plate can attract the attention of local law enforcement. In that case, and in that case alone, presenting a military ID along with a valid drivers license and registration, can go a long way toward explaining why you are in that jurisdiction.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    britt3907

--
    25 Feb 2010 04:46 PM
    having an out of state license does not attract that much attention.. i drove my car across country twice and now work in va and live in nc... this is a huge military area so they figure if you have an out of state plate then your probably military. second dont flash your id to get yourself out of trouble.. trust me it really doesnt work. just be respectful and that is what can normally get you out of trouble. plus i dont think pulling out your military id all the time is a good idea.. keep in mind your whole life is on that card.. its the same as carrying around your social security card. just a little food for thought.

OS3 Brittney Church
    CAMSLANT VA

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    25 Feb 2010 05:13 PM
    "...in some locales..." Some Coast Guard stations are in small towns. My son was pulled over three times in the first two weeks at his new station but as soon as they found out he was at the Coast Guard station they sent him on his way. After a while they got used to seeing him around and stopped pulling him over.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TXCG09

--
    25 Feb 2010 06:17 PM
    Britt, of course that doesn't work in Virginia!!! They HATE military in general lol there are sooo many military members in the area they target us. I got a ticket while in A-school luckily I had a NY driver's license in which the points from the ticket didn't get put on my license. I got pulled over two other times, one in NY the guy let me go when I showed him ID and in Fayetteville,NC 4 cars blocked me in a parking lot and I heard the cop say "Oh he's in the Coast Guard", "Have a good night sir". So I guess it really depends on the mood of the cop lol.

MST3 Suggs

MST3 Suggs
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    mgm12

--
    25 Feb 2010 11:43 PM
    don't worry cooch i would never show my ID to a cop just to get out a ticket that's not the honorable thing to do

August 3 is day!!!

August 3 is day!!!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    26 Feb 2010 02:59 PM
    Please! You're hair cut will give you away, and lots of cops are prior military. Would you want a ticket to someone on their way home from a long deployment? I sure as hell wouldn't.

"I have the terrible feeling that, because I am wearing a white beard and am sitting in the back of the theatre, you expect me to tell you the truth about something. These are the cheap seats, not Mount Sinai."

-Orson Welles

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement