Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Storekeeper
Last Post 19 Mar 2010 01:28 AM by E. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
john2565

--
05 Mar 2010 10:54 PM
    I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience as a storekeeper in the Coast Guard. I am really interested in getting that rate once I get in. (Everything is all set, but I am just waiting for a ship date) I have taken some accounting and finance classes, and have heard that a storekeeper is basically like an accountant.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ssetnicky

--
    05 Mar 2010 11:40 PM
    My recruiter is a storekeeper... just saying... I haven't asked him about it though as I am going OS, lol. I'm sure someone on here will have better insight on it. Actually I suppose I could direct you to this thread: http://www.uscg.org/forum/?f=32&m=66498

there's a pretty detailed description there as well as a link to a video of the rate.
    Coastie Jones

--
    11 Mar 2010 12:12 PM
    A SK on a boat makes orders of what materials are needed throughout all departments keeps track of certain finances I believe and I'm not sure what else. best bet would be contact a SK and ask him/her what their job entails

R/

OS3 JONES
    CAMSLANT
    If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions-Scott Adams?

R/

OS3 JONES
    CAMSLANT
    If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions-Scott Adams?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    11 Mar 2010 03:59 PM
    Ok, since I'm a Storekeeper, I'll give you the real answers.

Parts of our job are accounting based. That is only a small portion of the job though. As a Storekeeper, you will do all of the following:

- Purchasing
    - Inventory Management
    - Shipping / Receiving
    - Budgeting / Budget Management
    - Contracting
    - Accounting
    - Account Reconciliation
    - Property Accountability / Management
    - Forklift Operators

In addition to that, there are always collateral duties. For instance, if you are assigned to a ship, you will coordinate the purchase of fuel, sewage removal, water, and rental vehicles while in foreign ports. You will have to send out what is called a LOGREQ (logistics request) to the foreign port prior to arrival to coordinate all of the needed things for your cutter.

You are in charge of million dollar inventories and multi-million dollar budgets, sometimes on your own. You will do weekly accounting to ensure that your finances and expenditures match what the CG Finance Center's books say. You will conduct quarterly, annual, and spot inventories on all stored material as well as accountable property. You are in charge of managing the budget properly to ensure it is being spent at the proper pace and that you are not going over your allocated amount. You are in charge of working with all of the different departments to ensure that all of their supply needs are being met. You are responsible for the creation and proper managing of high dollar government contracts for service, construction, and supplies. For shipping and receiving, you are to inspect each shipment as it comes in to ensure order accuracy as well as checking for damaged items.

You have to know ahead of time that it can be a thankless job at times. You need to accept that ahead of time, and you will be fine. The thanks you get is generally from your superiors or your fellow SK's. It's a great job, and I enjoy doing it. There's a great feeling when the engineers have a major problem and you are able to coordinate an order and get the parts delivered the very next day. Whether or not you get an actual "thank you" from those that you support, we always know that what we do is appreciated. You can be stretched thin at times, due to the amount of different areas that we cover, but at least we are kept busy.

Good luck.

R/

PO1 Kevin Couture

You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    john2565

--
    16 Mar 2010 05:01 AM
    Thank you for taking the time to tell me the details of a storekeeper.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    16 Mar 2010 04:43 PM
    That's what I'm here for! :-)

R/

PO1 Kevin Couture

sinkorswim

--
    18 Mar 2010 01:45 AM
    Cooch-
      I am a SN and am thinking of striking SK...couple questions..I understand it depends on the person, but how long can one expect it to take to strike SK?  How much help do you need from your SK?(we only have an sk1)..Is it a lot I can learn without help?  any info is appreciated.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    18 Mar 2010 02:09 PM
    Well, for the most part, you answered your own question. Striking is entirely up to the motivation level of the individual. Realistically, if your SK1 had the time for you, you could probably hammer out all of your EPQ's in a couple of weeks. That depends on your available amount of time as well. You might need to put in some effort after the work day to get some of it done, so that it doesn't interfere with your SN responsibilities.

Here's some advice. You don't need to take it, but it may help. Go into CG Central and print up your SK EPQ's. Highlight all of the ones for SK3. Each one will have a reference manual or two associated with it. Go into the manual online and start reading. Many EPQ's are straightforward and simple, such as "Process incoming inventory material as per the Supply Policy and Procedures Manual, COMDTINST M4400.19 (series) abd Storage and Materials Handling, DOD 4145.19-R-1." If you go into that manual, you will find the section that deals with incoming supplies. It will tell you what you are looking for when supplies come in, and how to handle different discrepancies.

Now, I'm not saying you need to memorize the manual. What you are trying to accomplish is getting used to the manuals so that you know which one to look in, and what chapter will have your answer. Show your SK1 that you're serious about this, and it should go a long way.

If you can't find a copy of the EPQ's, look me up in the Global, and I can scan them and email them to you.

R/

PO1 Kevin Couture

Trusted Member
    E

--
    19 Mar 2010 01:28 AM
    The hardest challenge I've come upon striking isn't learning the material, isn't finding the time, It's getting someone qualified to be able to do your sign offs. A guy at our unit is striking SK and really likes it, says it's a good time.

what cooch said was right, show your SK1 you're serious, and they'll treat you the same. When I showed my BM1s that I was serious about advancement, took the EPME, getting help from the Bm3 and using my resources, they started asking me, "what can we do to help you strike", and soforth.

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. -John 15:13

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement