Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Responsibilities
Last Post 04 Aug 2010 03:00 PM by E. 16 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
mkinsey

--
07 Mar 2010 06:25 PM
    What is the difference between enlisted, non-commissioned officers, and commissioned officers responsibility wise? If someone is a non-commissioned officer (for example a Petty Officer) do they usually hold more responsibilities then an enlisted person or are they essentially doing the same work as an enlisted person but just with a higher rank?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    07 Mar 2010 08:17 PM
    A Petty Officer is an enlisted person. Petty Officer 3rd, 2nd & 1st (E-4, E-5 & E-6) Chief, Senior Chief & Master Chief (E-7, E-8 & E-9). With each step up in rank comes more responsibilities but they are all enlisted personnel.

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TXCG09

--
    07 Mar 2010 10:28 PM
    Ok,

With some help from wikipedia lol. A junior NCO is all Petty Officers (E4 Petty Officer Third Class, E5 Petty Officer Second Class, and E6 Petty Officer First Class). An NCO is all Chiefs in the Coast Guard (E7 Chief Petty Officer, E8 Senior Chief Petty Officer, and E9 Master Chief Petty Officer). In the Coast Guard it varies from unit to unit on the jobs and responsibilities of Petty Officers. Such as the following: A PO3 would have a PO2 as a boss and a PO1 would probably be running the show. The overall man in charge of that certain department would be a Chief of sorts, mainly an E7 or E8. The E9 of the unit would be the head man for all enlisted at that unit, unless there are more than one Master Chief at a unit.

As a Petty Officer starting from E4 you can become a boarding officer meaning you can become a federal agent in a sense. You can become a coxswain of a boat meaning you drive the small boats and you are the captain of that vessel. It really depends what job field you are in also. In the marine safety field a Petty Officer Third Class (E4) is capable of going to a facility and handing a $40,000 ticket (fine) to a certain vessel or facility.

All of the E's are enlisted and we are all capable of doing the same jobs and having the same responsibilities, but as Macie added above with higher rank comes higher responsibilities as any other job.

NOW a commissioned officer would be the O's. O1 Ensign, O2 Lieutenant Junior Grade, O3 Lieutenant, O4 Lieutenant Commander, O5 Commander, O6 Captain, O7 Rear Admiral Lower Half, O8 Rear Admiral Upper Half, O9 Vice Admiral, and O10 Admiral. I am talking for a Marine Safety Unit right now... an O1 would be in charge of a couple enlisted guys in a department. O2's here are in charge of the O1 and O3 is in charge of each individual department. An O4 would be the department head meaning everyone answers to him in that department. O5 is the second in command and the O6 is the head man the CO Commanding Officer of the unit.

On cutters and other land units this varies. Officers are usually the commanding officers and departments heads on cutters I know this.

I hope you understand all of this non-sense I just put down haha. If you don't feel free to PM me and I will better lay it out for you.

MST3 Suggs

MST3 Suggs
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    11 Mar 2010 11:29 PM
    On cutters, can officers be on boat crews to do boardings and such? Or is that strictly enlisted personel?

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    britt3907

--
    12 Mar 2010 12:11 PM
    officers can and are usually always on boardings

OS3 Brittney Church
    CAMSLANT VA

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    12 Mar 2010 01:30 PM
    ...if that unit has commissioned officers...
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    13 Mar 2010 01:31 AM
    Here is the gist in general:

Officers are in charge of the big picture. The higher the rank the bigger the picture. They develop, plan, and execute a mission or plan. If the plan goes bad, they are where the buck stops.

Enlisted are in charge of a smaller picture and responsibility is not as broad. They are given portions of the plan to develop, plan and execute. If their portion goes bad, the rest of the plan will probably go bad as well. Many senior enlisted members are put in charge of stations or cutters and hold the same responsibility as officers.

Here is a quick, fictional, example that might put it into perspective.

A large cutter CO (officer) gets word to go to a position and conduct a search and rescue mission. Everyone on the ship will have a mission to do. As the ranks get lower so do the responsibilities.

The Captain is in charge of managing the entire ship and integrating it into the search plan with other assets and in accordance of the wishes of the District. He has to manage risk vs gain and delegate and approve actions of the departments to get that job done.

The department heads have to make sure their departments are executing their specific mission properly and are integrating properly with other departments to meet the COs desires.

The senior crew members (enlisted) are making sure the people in their departments are working well together and meeting department needs.

The junior crewmembers (enlisted) are doing the job they were assigned.

If a junior crewmember screws up, that particular job may be done wrong making the department work hard to correct it. He will most likely get into trouble but the member in charge of him might be in trouble as well since he was in charge of him.

If a senior crew member screws up, that particular section may be led down the wrong path causing problems for the whole department. He will get into trouble for anything he screws up and usually for what his junior members screw up as well.

If the department head screws up, he may cause problems for the rest of the ship. He will get into trouble for anything any of the junior or senior enlisted members screw up because he is in charge.

If the CO screws up, the ship is in trouble. The CO will be in trouble. Additionally, the CO is responsible for every screw up and could be called in front of his superiors for just about anything that goes wrong while he is in charge no matter who actually caused the problem.

You can delegate authority but you cannot delegate responsibility.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    23 Mar 2010 02:32 AM
    How many CO's are usually on cutters?

(If by some odd chance I get in, I dont want to be sitting at a desk)

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    23 Mar 2010 03:42 AM
    There is only one Captain on a ship...
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    23 Mar 2010 03:43 AM
    LOLOL. I meant commisioned officers, not commanding officer. My bad...

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    23 Mar 2010 03:51 AM
    Depends on the size of the ship..
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    23 Mar 2010 11:03 AM
    On a 270 there is a contingent of 100 personnel, 86 enlisted, 14 officers. I can't speak for other ships, this is just the one I know.

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    mattsmomN180

--
    24 Mar 2010 06:43 PM
    When my son graduated from OCS in 2009, the majority of the Ensigns were assigned to positions ashore......there were very few Cutter positions available. A small group got flight which is very limited and competitive. The needs of the service come first.

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    25 Mar 2010 03:58 AM
    Did some searching around, this is what I came up with:

378'- 19
    270'- 14
    110'- 2
    87'- 1-2

Some cool info here...
    www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/cutter.htm

Future Coastie Coming in 2011

Lzemo

--
    01 Apr 2010 04:55 PM
    My 28' cabin cruiser has one CO, a female, my wife! I'm pretty much stuck on deck force.
    redman60

--
    04 Aug 2010 01:16 PM
    Officers can pretty much do what they want but, if things go south, they will be in charge. When I was on Base Detroit, we had an Ensign who liked to joy-ride the 40s out of Belle Isle, probably hoping he would meet a pretty girl. I had to pull his chain fairly hard, reminding him to leave it to the pros. In my experience, a commissioned officer almost never accompanies boarding teams.
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    04 Aug 2010 03:00 PM
    we have 2 officers, one LT and one LTjg. Our XO is the head boarding officer. we have 5 BOs onboard.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement