Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
OS Class Size
Last Post 20 May 2011 02:37 PM by Old Guard2. 53 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
raven1484

--
20 Mar 2010 04:26 PM
    Anybody know how many are typically in an OS class?

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    britt3907

--
    20 Mar 2010 08:48 PM
    ya between 18-20 and when i graduated a few months ago they were still sending double classes through which means if everyone stayed in the class they started in it was about 40 people at graduation

OS3 Brittney Church
    CAMSLANT VA

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    husband

--
    02 Apr 2010 01:03 AM
    and thats a BIG if!

smediumex

--
    03 Apr 2010 01:11 PM
    Classes are 18 students, there are not enough stations in the sector classrooms for more. Since OS is critical, there are double classes going through right now, which means there will be 36 students going through the school at the same time. You are really not involved with the other class, you learn the same things basically at the same time, just in different class rooms and with different instructors. For me, there was some friendly rivalry between the classes, but it is all in good fun. They come in handy when you don't understand your instructors and need a little extra help.

"Impossible is Nothing"

raven1484

--
    03 Apr 2010 03:54 PM
    Thanks for the info. I put my name on the list a week ago. I just wanted to get an idea since there were 20 something on the list. I guess it will depend on how many come guaranteed from boot to see if I make the next class or not.

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Vikingsailor796

--
    11 Apr 2010 11:30 PM
    I hope theres only a 20 something person list when i go to sign up for OS
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lan56

--
    11 Apr 2010 11:46 PM
    I have a couple of questions about this rating:

1. Is it true that most OS positions are at sectors?
    2. How busy is the typical watch? As in, should one expect hours of sitting there bored or is there a lot of work to be done during a watch?

I ask just because before I joined the CG I was trying to be a 911 dispatcher, and at my station we stand comms watch and I enjoy it. BUT I hate it too because we are so quiet, so the average watch is 7.5 hours of literally sitting there staring out the window, and 30 mins of typing/answering phones/using the radio/etc... This is at a station, not sector, though.<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 4/12/2010 12:47:11 AM GMT

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    britt3907

--
    12 Apr 2010 12:13 AM
    yes most os postitions are at sectors..
    and as for how busy the watch is it all depends on where you go. some sectors are really busy some are more quiet. but there are more than just sector and boats to the os world. I'm at camslant which isnt a sector and we dont operate like a sector. but os is a watchstanding job thats all you will do. its normally 12 hours of sitting in a booth by yourself listening to radios. but it all depends on where you go after a school on what you will be doing.

OS3 Brittney Church
    CAMSLANT VA

Trusted Member
    E

--
    12 Apr 2010 01:22 AM
    OS3, you should find the OS3 and OS2 who came to Key West, FL and rode on our 110. We gave them a ride to remember lol.

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. -John 15:13

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    britt3907

--
    16 Apr 2010 01:35 AM
    haha who where they and what did you do to them?

OS3 Brittney Church
    CAMSLANT VA

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    husband

--
    21 Apr 2010 02:02 PM
    pfft, I'd ride on a 110' any day :P

and britt is right...

MY answers to your questions

1. There are quite a few OS's at every sector...

2.  My friend described a typical watch as a Comms watchstander as 11 and a half hours of boredom followed by 30 minutes of pure terror.  It really depends on where you go if you're busy or not...for example, Sector Upper Mississippi River in St. Louis isn't going to have as much SAR as Sector Miami (or any sector in FL).  It just really depends on the day.  I've had days with no cases where I sit and stare at a computer screen for 12 hours, and I've had a day with 8 cases (a new personal best).

EDIT:  I really hope one of the OS3's on the cutter were Amrhein or Trott! HAHA

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    21 Apr 2010 02:42 PM
    8 cases in a day? That's impressive. My personal best as the OOD at the Sta was 15 cases, at the same time. Everyone made it home safe. I couldn't have pulled it off without the support from the OSs at the Sector.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

- Mark Twain

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Jessica07

--
    21 Apr 2010 04:28 PM
    Another OS question -

Are OSs mostly shore based, or are they on cutters too?
    Coastie Hopeful 2011 ~ Semper Paratus!
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    21 Apr 2010 04:52 PM
    Yes.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    husband

--
    26 Apr 2010 09:44 AM
    They're about half and half...you have OS's on every cutter 210' and above, and at every sector, CAMS (Communications area master stations), and COMMSTAS

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    COASTIE_OS

--
    16 Oct 2010 04:42 AM
    Posted By husband on 21 Apr 2010 03:02 PM
    pfft, I'd ride on a 110' any day

and britt is right...

MY answers to your questions

1. There are quite a few OS's at every sector...

2.  My friend described a typical watch as a Comms watchstander as 11 and a half hours of boredom followed by 30 minutes of pure terror.  It really depends on where you go if you're busy or not...for example, Sector Upper Mississippi River in St. Louis isn't going to have as much SAR as Sector Miami (or any sector in FL).  It just really depends on the day.  I've had days with no cases where I sit and stare at a computer screen for 12 hours, and I've had a day with 8 cases (a new personal best).

EDIT:  I really hope one of the OS3's on the cutter were Amrhein or Trott! HAHA

Hey husband,

I think I know Amrhein.  I believe she was in my bootcamp company... Oscar 181.  She was an interesting shipmate then... I'm sure she is still the same!
    Monty1

--
    17 Nov 2010 04:57 PM
    I have a question about OS class sizes... The a-school list says double classes still and shows they are taking 22 Active duty, are those 22 people in one class (so 44 ppl per class date) or is that 11 per class?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    COASTIE_OS

--
    17 Nov 2010 05:12 PM

Monty,

That is a good question.  I always assumed that it was 22 in each class. Hmmmm... Let me check with my friend who just graduated for OS A School.

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ssetnicky

--
    17 Nov 2010 05:39 PM
    yeah they still send double classes through. i'm an OS onboard a 270'
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    COASTIE_OS

--
    17 Nov 2010 05:43 PM
    setnicky that was not the question silly boy.  The question was (and i told you this) is it going to be 44 total (22 in each class) or like the other guy asked is it 22 total with 11 in each class??
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    husband

--
    19 Nov 2010 06:12 AM
    there are 20-22 AD people per class, for a total  of 40-44.

There were 21 in my class and my sister class and we were the first classes to run double classes, and they have been doing so ever since.

Hope this helps
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ssetnicky

--
    19 Nov 2010 03:12 PM
    sorry yes I concur with husband haha. there was roughly 20 in each of our classes... but we graduated with 16 lol... think we had 18 actually.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    COASTIE_OS

--
    11 Dec 2010 08:10 AM
    Husband... Sad times. The last class they only took 20... I only moved up 20. I'm worried that they are only taking 22 for the next classes total. I'm number 47 I believe and if they don't take the 44 I'll be stuck here forever!
    Monty1

--
    17 Dec 2010 03:09 PM
    Did anyone get orders for JAN or FEB yet? I'm 69 on the 15DEC list so I hope they take that 44 ppl for the class.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    COASTIE_OS

--
    31 Dec 2010 08:25 PM
    Posted By Monty1 on 17 Dec 2010 04:09 PM
    Did anyone get orders for JAN or FEB yet? I'm 69 on the 15DEC list so I hope they take that 44 ppl for the class.

My friend that is number 7 on the Dec. 15th list got his orders a week after the list came out for the March class.  I too am hoping they take 44, but the Nov. 15th list appeared that they only took 20 for the February class when it was supposed to be 40.  I sure hope they are just being slow with it I'm ready to start my career.  Goodluck!  Maybe I will see you there!
    Ectric

--
    02 Jan 2011 07:14 PM
    when i graduated we had 18 in each class and both were double classes so i imagine that they are still running that seeing how i have only been out 3 months
    Snos Smith Camspac Pt Reyes
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    COASTIE_OS

--
    05 Jan 2011 04:48 AM
    Ectric,

I hope so I just got a little discouraged on the last 2 lists because on the nov. one i only moved up 20 showing they only took 20 ppl off the list and i only moved up 5 on the dec. list. But my friend how I said was number 7 got his orders shortly after the list came out. So I have no clue what my future holds. IDK keeping my fingers crossed.
    Ectric

--
    08 Jan 2011 07:37 AM
    Coastie

All i can say is that im still confident they are running the double classes see how os is still critical and will be critical for some time so just have patience and by this spring u should be heading to "sunny" Petaluma lol and you never know u may get stuck at Cams like i am lol
    Snos Smith Camspac Pt Reyes
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    COASTIE_OS

--
    08 Jan 2011 12:11 PM
    What exactly is cams again?? And what is so bad that you feel stuck?
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    09 Jan 2011 08:39 AM
    camspac or camslant, communications for the CG.

We got told campspac was an IT3 nightmare.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement