Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Would I be able to join?
Last Post 01 Apr 2010 04:55 AM by BlackWat3r. 25 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
BlackWat3r

--
26 Mar 2010 03:59 AM
    I have a thyroid problem, hypo, just have to take one small pill a day. Do they allow this condition in the coast guard? I am perfectly fit, I train every day weights/cardio etc, with medication I can function perfectly normal.

Is there a list that shows whats aloud?

I think I read somewhere that they allow people with hypothyroidism to join but I want to make sure before I really start considering thinking about joining.

Also what about taking testosterone injections? I'm debating whether or not to go on trt for my low test levels, again I can function normally with out testosterone but bringing my levels to normal would improve my quality of life, do they allow this or no?

So basically can you join with hypothyroidism? and can you join while taking testosterone injections? If they don't allow testosterone I probably wont go on it, so hopefully someone can let me know.

Thanks!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    britt3907

--
    26 Mar 2010 01:06 PM
    i'm not sure about the testosterone injections but my best friend is an FS3 with hypothroidism and well they knew when she enlisted. im gonna have to say good luck though. so many people want to join and there are so many slots. not saying your unhealthy by any means but you have to look at it this way comes down to you and and perfectly healthy no problems person... honestly who are they gonna pick... maybe one of the recruiters can shine a better light on it. but your best bet would still be to contact a recruitor and really find out

OS3 Brittney Church
    CAMSLANT VA

Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    26 Mar 2010 01:56 PM
    As per the Coast Guard Medical Manual:

Hyperparathyroidism or Hypoparathyroidism.
    Currenty history of hyperparathyroidism (252.0) or hypoparathyroidism (252.1) is disqualifying.

R/

PO1 Kevin Couture

You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ltate

--
    26 Mar 2010 02:03 PM
    I'd always been under the impression that there is a difference between hypothyroidism and hypoparathyroidism but I could be wrong about that. Anyway, my MST daughter has hypothyroidism as well but it wasn't diagnosed until she'd been in awhile. And even though she's on meds and her blood work is normal, she still feels like hell. Nobody has ever been able to tell her why but hopefully one of these days we can get it figured out.

Laurie

Just to add this.......I checked the medical manual and apparently there is a difference because it says "current hypothyroidism uncontrolled by medication is disqualifying"  so maybe you still have a chance with that, since yours seems to be in control with your meds.  Good luck. 

<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 3/26/2010 8:15:24 AM GMT

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ejhcougar

--
    26 Mar 2010 02:37 PM
    LTate, has your daughter been tested for celiac disease? I don't know if that would be the problem or not, my grandmother was diagnosed with multiple thyroid issues and almost died due to celiac disease (intolerance to gluten). I know they don't test for it normally and its a simple test, something you might look into perhaps.

"You only like Armageddon because they send a bunch of roughnecks to save the world..." - Ex Boss

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ltate

--
    26 Mar 2010 03:23 PM
    Thanks very much for that info, cougar! I honestly have no idea what additional testing she might have had along the way but I'll mention celiac disease and see what she says. I just know that despite the thyroid meds....even having the dose jacked up numerous times over the years....she has never felt any better but keeps getting told she must be ok because her blood work is normal. Ah well, like I said, I'm sure we'll get it all figured out for her one of these days.

Laurie

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lollipop

--
    26 Mar 2010 03:27 PM
    Yes, there is a big difference between hypothryroidism and hypoparathyroidism. The parathyroid hormones control the amount of calcium in the body. The thyroid hormones control metabolism. One is much more serious than the other. I can see someone serving with hypothyroidism, but not with hypoparathyroidism. With the latter, you are relying on the medications to control calcium levels, usually for life. Without it you could have serious problems with your bones. And unless your hypothyroidism is severe, I don't see why you couldn't serve. But, I'm just a nurse. A MEPS doc would have to make the final decision.

Proud mom of a recruit currently at boot camp! 

Proud mom of SN Daniel Cable - ALFA 183 
    Downoutlaw

--
    26 Mar 2010 03:37 PM
    Hypothyroidism controlled by medication is not disqualifying. Have your medical documents with your prior to contacting a Recruiter and make sure that they understand that you have HYPOthyroidism and that your med docs show that it is well-controlled by medication.
    In my opinion, the testosterone issue is something that will DQ you.

Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    26 Mar 2010 05:11 PM
    i would say no becuase we just had someone discharged because of it that came in and they found out during basic
    BlackWat3r

--
    30 Mar 2010 03:27 PM
    Thanks for the replies, I didn't think hypothyroidism was disqualifying and there is a big difference between hypothyroidism and those others mentioned, I could survive without medication with hypothyroidism, although I would gain a couple pounds, but you can't survive with some of those other conditions that were mentioned.

I figured testosterone replacement would be disqualifying, so I probably won't go on that. Maybe if I do end up getting in the coast guard maybe sometime down the road I can get on the testosterone if I really need it.

Thanks for the replies though!
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    31 Mar 2010 01:55 AM
    It's a tough situation. While hypothyroid, while controlled by meds, is not disqualifying, you can't be on medications and ship off to basic training (other than birth control). So, that would put you in the category of "not controlled by medication", and thus, be disqualifying. I believe that the part about being controlled by meds is used more for retention standards than acession standards (staying in versus getting in).

R/

PO1 Kevin Couture

Seriously

--
    31 Mar 2010 05:54 AM
    Ok, don't hate but I am going to put this out there. Isn't this situation a little unfair? I mean, she can but he can't. She takes a pill everyday to regulate, he takes a pill everyday to regulate. I am not trying to change any policies or cause dissention among the ranks - I'm just sayin....

Seriously people, it's just common sense, not rocket science

Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    31 Mar 2010 10:21 AM
    It has to do with the underlying cause. Many things in life may seem unfair, but further looks often reveal the reason for such rulings. These are two different underlying conditions being discussed, and different standards apply.

Vr,
    Chuck

These poor, plain men, dwellers upon the lonely sands of Hatteras, took their lives in their hands, and, at the most imminent risk crossed the most tumultuous sea…and all for what? That others might live to see home and friends. — Annual Report of the U.S. Life- Saving Service, 1885

Recruiting Website

Read here for answers to the most often asked questions about joining the Coast Guard!

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    31 Mar 2010 11:03 AM
    Seriously,

She misses a pill or two what happens? She shouldn't fool around but she certainly won't fall ill or need a possible medevac off of a ship a hundred miles out at sea. He runs out of medication, ends up in a situation where he isn't able to take his medication & gets ill, that is of no use to his shipmates if he has to leave the ship or his duty assignment.

That's where the difference lies in the what seems like a double standard but really isn't. :) And there is no hate for asking that... the only way to figure out the rules & regulations or understand a situation is to ask.

Macie

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    31 Mar 2010 11:48 AM
    What are those for?

Oh! It's just this stupid thing. I have to take a pill every six hours or I feel... funny. No big deal.

What's it called?

Advanced delusionary schizophrenia with involuntary narcissistic rage.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

- Mark Twain

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Seriously

--
    31 Mar 2010 11:59 AM
    I understand the difference and importance between the two medications. I knew that if I was thinking it then it probably crossed someone elses mind as well. And yes, I was the kid in class who raised my hand all the time asking questions. :p

Seriously people, it's just common sense, not rocket science

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    31 Mar 2010 12:17 PM
    Well Gears, that surely explains a lot! LOL

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    31 Mar 2010 12:33 PM
    Somehow... I still go into the CG. Go figure!

- Mark Twain

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ejhcougar

--
    31 Mar 2010 03:35 PM
    Gears, have you ever watched Me, Myself, and Irene? You seem to have an eerie connection to Mr. Jim Carrey....

"You only like Armageddon because they send a bunch of roughnecks to save the world..." - Ex Boss

Downoutlaw

--
    31 Mar 2010 03:41 PM
    If you have hypothyroidism and it's controlled by medication - that does not disqualify someone from entering the Coast Guard, shipping to basic training, or being stationed on a ship. I shipped someone just like that last year who is currently stationed on a Patrol Boat.

He cleared MEPS, I spoke with Cape May Medical prior to him shipping, and there was no issue at all. When I initially screened him, I DQ'ed him. Luckily for both of us, I did more research and found that I was incorrect.

If it's not disclosed at MEPS it is grounds for a discharge for fraudulent entry when it comes out - and it ALWAYS comes out.

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    31 Mar 2010 03:45 PM
    Cougar,

Good catch, that's the movie I quoted from. I thought it fit this thread well.

Downoutlaw,

Thanks for being so serious and grounded. You bring balance to the Cosmos that encompasses this board.

- Mark Twain

Downoutlaw

--
    31 Mar 2010 03:49 PM
    It's rare that I balance anything.
    It's even more rare that I'm accused of being serious and/or grounded.

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    31 Mar 2010 03:52 PM
    Downoutlaw,

As a fellow MK, you know there is a first time for everything.

- Mark Twain

BlackWat3r

--
    01 Apr 2010 02:12 AM
    Cooch said...
    It's a tough situation. While hypothyroid, while controlled by meds, is not disqualifying, you can't be on medications and ship off to basic training (other than birth control). So, that would put you in the category of "not controlled by medication", and thus, be disqualifying. I believe that the part about being controlled by meds is used more for retention standards than acession standards (staying in versus getting in).

So no one can take medication at basic? That sucks, for sure there is no medication aloud? For me all's I have to do is take one small pill right when I wake up and thats it. I guess I could go off of it for 8 weeks lol
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    01 Apr 2010 02:21 AM
    Please read the post by Downoutlaw above. He sheds some light on this subject. I learned something new today.

R/

PO1 Kevin Couture

BlackWat3r

--
    01 Apr 2010 04:55 AM
    Cooch said...
    Please read the post by Downoutlaw above. He sheds some light on this subject. I learned something new today.

Thanks for pointing that out, I don't know how I missed that post, it was in the middle of the off topic stuff that I skipped over eyes
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement