Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
guaranteed district
Last Post 03 Apr 2010 01:34 AM by Gears. 21 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
MKCoastiemom

--
29 Mar 2010 08:54 PM
    Hopefully I am in the right forum for this to be answered. My son had a "guaranteed" district as part of the recruiting process. Is this just for his first tour, or is it for the whole time he is in? turn
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ltate

--
    29 Mar 2010 09:08 PM
    My daughter had a guaranteed district as well and she was just there until she went to A School. After that, she was sent somewhere else. Hope that info helps!

Laurie

Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    29 Mar 2010 11:53 PM
    Does your son already have a boot camp reservation date? If he has a guaranteed district, then it will be for his first tour, until he goes off to 'A' school. If he doesn't already have a reservation, the guaranteed districts option was just taken away. That's the only reason I asked.

R/

PO1 Kevin Couture

You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    USCGforMe

--
    30 Mar 2010 02:36 PM
    IMHO, detailers see guaranteed districts from a recruit and torment them. Everyone I know who got a guaranteed district was placed at a less than desireable unit...those without them got the district they wanted anyway, for the most part...

I.E., LORSTA Attu, AK (talk about remote!)
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    30 Mar 2010 05:23 PM
    My son had a guaranteed D1, he loves the Seneca and it's crew. If you were to ask him there is absolutely nothing that can be described as "less desireable" where he is in Boston. So I don't know how much I agree with that statement.

And unless you have been to Attu, don't knock it till you try it! I haven't been there but I know people that have and I know people that were on Adak as well... a bit breezy out there to say the least but they still enjoyed their tours of duty. :)

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    31 Mar 2010 01:00 AM
    USCGforMe said...
    IMHO, detailers see guaranteed districts from a recruit and torment them. Everyone I know who got a guaranteed district was placed at a less than desireable unit...those without them got the district they wanted anyway, for the most part...

I.E., LORSTA Attu, AK (talk about remote!)
    Although a district may be guaranteed, a detailer will still assign the person based on the needs of the Coast Guard within that district.  While everyone may want station vacation, it doesn't work that way.  Detailers do not 'torment' members when they are assigning them.  They have a very detailed list of where people are needed, and in what priority order they are needed.

R/

PO1 Kevin Couture

MKCoastiemom

--
    31 Mar 2010 07:43 PM
    Thank you for all the replies! My son is already in the Coast Guard and is on the waiting list for MK. His recruiter told him he would have a guaranteed district, which was district 5. His recruiter failed to mention that part of NJ was in this district. He kept telling him NC, VA and MD. He got stationed in Cape May!! Kind of a bummer at first, but it could be worse! Nice place to visit, just bring lots of money!! He loves his job, but hates it in Cape May. I think one day he will look back on this and realize it's not so bad after all. So I just wondered about after A school and my question has been answered. Now I just pray he can at least stay on the East Coast!!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Potato2

--
    01 Apr 2010 01:39 PM
    When you are sent to a different unit, either after A school or a transfer, is that "somewhere else" in the guaranteed district?

Heading out to bootcamp May 4th :)

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    01 Apr 2010 01:57 PM
    The guaranteed district is applicable to your first unit ONLY.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

- Mark Twain

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    01 Apr 2010 07:41 PM
    If a guaranteed district applied to your whole career, we wouldn't have anyone stationed in district 8 or 9!

R/

PO1 Kevin Couture

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    uscg_nickg

--
    01 Apr 2010 10:05 PM
    Well I'm live in district 9 and I asked for that to be guaranteed. Recruiter said I would get it guarenteed. However I don't have a ship date yet but am qualified every way except my weight. I thought I was 5' 11" which weight limit is 197 and I weighed in at 197 and they told me I was 5' 10" and weight limit was 191. I had to wait 24 days before I could go back. Just so happened to be in those 24 days the CG went on the lock down. However I did do and pass the e qip security clearance. I don't really care to be guarantedd at district 9 but its more for my family and to make them happy cuz I will be closer to home. But so does this mean I won't be guaranteed a district cuz they are done with that option?

Thank you

Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    01 Apr 2010 11:18 PM
    uscg_nickg said...
    Well I'm live in district 9 and I asked for that to be guaranteed. Recruiter said I would get it guarenteed. However I don't have a ship date yet but am qualified every way except my weight. I thought I was 5' 11" which weight limit is 197 and I weighed in at 197 and they told me I was 5' 10" and weight limit was 191. I had to wait 24 days before I could go back. Just so happened to be in those 24 days the CG went on the lock down. However I did do and pass the e qip security clearance. I don't really care to be guarantedd at district 9 but its more for my family and to make them happy cuz I will be closer to home. But so does this mean I won't be guaranteed a district cuz they are done with that option?

Thank you
    Correct, districts are no longer guaranteed except for those that already have a ship date.  If you don't have a ship date yet, it's no longer an option.

R/

PO1 Kevin Couture

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    uscg_nickg

--
    02 Apr 2010 02:52 AM
    Ok.thank you. Honestly I like that better. Now it will be a surprise. Hopefull a good one but somewhere I haven't been before

Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    02 Apr 2010 11:01 AM
    Good attitude Nick! :) If your family is concerned about you being away from family... tell him you will be surrounded by family, your Coast Guard family. Not to mention that they will have some place great & new to visit.

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    02 Apr 2010 12:19 PM
    I just want to point out also... There's no reason why you can't choose some units that are in district 9. There's just not a guarantee that you will get it. If being in district 9 is really important to you, by all means, make some choices there. But don't be shy about choosing something out of your comfort zone too. There's a lot of adventures to be had elsewhere.

R/

PO1 Kevin Couture

Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    02 Apr 2010 12:20 PM
    Me for instance, I'm from New England. Growing up, I never pictured myself living anywhere else. But now that I've lived in the south for three different tours, I've come to love it. Like I say, I'm not from the south, but I got here as fast as I could!

R/

PO1 Kevin Couture

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    USCGforMe

--
    02 Apr 2010 01:49 PM
    The word 'torment' was a bad choice...my apology.

What I meant was if there are 11 open D8 non-rate billets, 10 people who have dream sheets with D8 units as their first picks, but NOT a guaranteed district...and 1 person with a guaranteed D8...the guaranteed D8 will get the last 'pick', or what ever is left over. At least it seems that way.

It would make sense for the detailer to fill a specific desired unit first over a person who just requested a general area (or district). If you just wanted a certain district, you'll be happy wherever you are as long as it's in that district, right? You would think so, but not always true.

As for Attu...an 18yr old who has never been away from home can have a tough time at a remote unit like that. Yes, I know someone who is there (at least until they close the doors). Yes, the person struggled at first and hated being stuck on 'a rock'.

I got a guaranteed district, and gave a very broad detailer note - "Anything on or near saltwater". I listed nothing but coastal cutters in D8, and one station. Where'd I end up? Western River! haha...oh well, I'm making the best of it and like my unit. I just would've preferred the saltwater fishing over this river stuff! I thought for sure I would've ended up on the coast with an open ended request like I had. I figured there had to be a billet open somewhere. There probably was...but the people who listed specific billets w/out a guaranteed district probably got them.
    <!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 4/2/2010 3:04:51 PM GMT

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    uscg_nickg

--
    02 Apr 2010 07:05 PM
    Yeah, I think being close to my family would be nice for the first station however i am also very excited to go out and be at new places. Coast Guard isn't very popular where i live and like my little cousins have never even heard of the coast guard. So as you can tell it wouldnt be much of an adventure being around here.

Also having a new family meaning the coast guard family is something that will make things much easier. I can't wait to be apart of it.

like i told my reruiter. i can't wait til he calls me with a ship date : )

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Potato2

--
    02 Apr 2010 08:45 PM
    I have guaranteed D9 as well...I had no idea that the CG wasn't allowing guaranteed districts anymore. I already have a ship date, but I am glad that I will have D9 for my first unit :)

I will definitely look forward to the surprise after A school though!

Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    02 Apr 2010 10:45 PM
    USCGforME, just be thankful that you got what you got. District 8 stretches from New Orleans all the way up to Minnesota. It could've been worse. That's why for me at least, I explain to people all the pros and cons of a guaranteed district. You may be from NC and want to be stationed on the outer banks, so you choose guaranteed district 5. Well, you need to realize that D5 covers NJ, PA, MD, DE, VA, and NC. If you were hoping for Wilmington, NC, and you got orders to Cape May, NJ without realizing it was a part of D5, you might be upset. It's not the assignment officers fault. They were simply putting you where people were needed the most.

I'm actually glad, and I'm sure that the assignment officers are too, that the guaranteed districts are going away. There comes a time in life when we need to cut the apron strings and get out to see the world.

R/

PO1 Kevin Couture

Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    03 Apr 2010 01:25 AM
    My son had a guaranteed district... he has spent the great majority of his life in Alaska. He has lived in NJ with me, we moved to Texas, he joined about a year after we got to Texas. He took a guaranteed D1. No apron strings on the district... there is no one in that district with any connection to our family. My family on my fathers side were all Southies but they left Boston in the 30's.

Since Colin opted for 6 years instead of 4, his recruiter told him he could get a small bonus if he took a guaranteed 1, 8 or 9. He thought about it on his own and decided on his own to go for D1. So there weren't even apron strings when he decided. He called and told me what was offered and asked "What would you have done?" I weighed out everything and told him my choice and then he said "Well this is what I already told Chief." So guaranteed districts aren't always to be close to home, quite possibly sometimes just the opposite.

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    03 Apr 2010 01:34 AM
    IMO,

Put what ever you want on your dream sheet. You know what's best for you. At the end of the day you only have to answer to yourself.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

- Mark Twain

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement