Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
My son got his orders to.....
Last Post 08 Apr 2010 01:05 AM by Old Guard2. 16 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
lollipop

--
31 Mar 2010 10:53 PM
    Kodiak, Alaska to the Alex Haley! He was supposed to call last week but didn't. I was worried sick. Turns out he was the one sick. He spent 5 days in the ward hooked up to IV's. He got the 'crud' and it kicked his booty! He was finally released today and called as soon as he could. He knew I was worried. I'm so relieve now, and happy! :)  

Proud mom of a recruit currently at boot camp! 

Proud mom of SN Daniel Cable - ALFA 183 
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    01 Apr 2010 12:38 AM
    Congratulations! What a great assignment! Talk to Jen & Britt, Britt just left the Haley last year. They'll both have some helpful hints for you. :) You do realize you are going to have to make a trip to Kodiak to see him! You'll love it. So will he!

I'm sorry to hear he was so sick. But like always, it sounds like the CG took realy good care of him. :) Now if there was just someone to take care of us! LOL

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    01 Apr 2010 02:03 AM
    Great news on his assignemnt and feeling better...sounds like he had some serious crud.

Kyle

In his life changing name God Bless!

I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lollipop

--
    01 Apr 2010 02:55 AM
    I also just learned that the Alex Haley will be decommissioned THIS YEAR. I wonder what will happen after that! Yes, I am going to have to start saving $$ for a trip to Alaska. I've always wanted to go there.
    Thanks for the congrats! I was really surprised that he got so sick. He almost never gets sick, and certainly not THAT sick. There must be different germies on the east coast, huh?

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Pmackey

--
    01 Apr 2010 12:10 PM
    Congrats lollipop! Sounds like a great assignment. My son is at boot now- PRAYING he doesn't get that crud! But I suppose he will catch something. New place new germies! Just hope it isn't super bad. So glad to hear your son made it through and is feeling better. They took good care of him I'm sure. Good boy for calling his mama as soon as he could!

By His Grace,
    Pmack

Proud Mom of FA MACKEY USCGC JARVIS (WHEC 725) Honolulu, HI
    Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    06 Apr 2010 06:07 PM
    congratulations on the alex haley assignment. we finally have britt's laptop up and operational, so i am certain she will be around to give you information about the ship. your son is definately in for an adventure!!!!

i am curious though.....
    where did you find information that the haley is to be decommissioned this year?

Jen

Proud Coastguard Mom of

OS3 Church, Brittney R.
    Camslant Chesapeake, VA

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin

~Jen~
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lollipop

--
    06 Apr 2010 07:25 PM
    A CG Chief told me. He's a friend of ours. I'm not sure how he found out.

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    06 Apr 2010 07:53 PM
    FWIW, there are no cutter decommissionings listed in the Coast Guard FY10 budget. There are five decommissionings listed in the proposed FY11 budget: Hamilton, Chase, Rush, Jarvis and Acushnet.

That doesn't mean it can't happen. It just means it wasn't planned in advance.
    Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    06 Apr 2010 07:53 PM
    wow! it's not on the list to be decommissioned. it has been less than a year since britt left. they just built new berthing for additional personnel. crew was told last june they are looking for 20 more years out of the ship!

Jen

Proud Coastguard Mom of

OS3 Church, Brittney R.
    Camslant Chesapeake, VA

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin

~Jen~
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lollipop

--
    06 Apr 2010 08:30 PM
    Well, I hope that's true. I'll ask the Chief where he heard about the decommissioning.

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    06 Apr 2010 08:41 PM
    Sometimes, stuff just happens. About twenty years ago, the USS Lexington was the U.S. Navy's training carrier, operating out of Pensacola, Florida. She wasn't scheduled to be decommissioned but she suffered a major engineering casualty that left her unable to launch and recover aircraft most days and it would have taken a long time and a lot of money to fix her up. So, the Navy decided they didn't need a dedicated training training carrier after all and went ahead and decommissioned her.
    Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    06 Apr 2010 08:59 PM
    very interesting. the haley is certainly old!!!

definately interested in following this and seeing what
    the out come is!

Jen

Proud Coastguard Mom of

OS3 Church, Brittney R.
    Camslant Chesapeake, VA

~Jen~
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lollipop

--
    07 Apr 2010 12:23 AM
    This is what the Chief said regarding the Alex Haley decommissioning..

"Its been scheduled for decommissioning. Its an old navy ship that they gave us and we painted white. With the new homeland security cutters coming online they are beginning to decomission the older cutters. The hamilton, chase, jarvis, rush, storis, and alex haley are all lined for replacement this year. The Washee just arrived in SF, with the Stratton scheduled for arrival this fall."

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    07 Apr 2010 02:06 AM
    The Chief might be mistaken on his facts. The Storis is long gone. The Hamilton, Chase, Jarvis, Rush and Acushnet are scheduled for decommissioning next year. Any decommissioning of the Haley is not mentioned in any publicly accessible documentation.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    07 Apr 2010 11:30 AM
    My son served aboard the Storis back in 2002-2003. She decommissioned in 2007 after 65 years of Coast Guard service, including WW2. "OLD" is a relative term, I guess (apologies to OLD GUARD!). Take a look at her current status HERE ....click on the history section for some interesting facts about the "Galloping Ghost of the Alaskan Coast".....

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lollipop

--
    07 Apr 2010 09:17 PM
    The Storis may be long long, but I think what the Chief was saying was that it is going to be replaced this year along with the others. Again, he didn't tell me where he got the information.

We'll just have to wait and see.

8 days until my son graduates!

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    08 Apr 2010 01:05 AM
    Lollipop,

Decommed or not, young or old, replaced or just retired... it's interesting and nice to know if/when one of our boats will be leaving the fleet... But who cares... your boy is going to Alaska! Woo-hoo!!!!! :)

You know what... when he shows up for work and there is a sign across the brow saying "Closed for business" well then we'll all know when she is decommed. LOL

My only question... if they do decommission the ship and he doesn't have orders to a school yet, what happens?? I mean I know he will go to another station but will it be in Kodiak or somewhere else? Just a curious thing?!

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement