Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
how's the cell phone service in Alaska?
Last Post 08 Apr 2010 12:13 AM by jen899193. 26 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
lollipop

--
01 Apr 2010 04:54 PM
    My son will be going to Kodiak after boot camp. I was just wondering if he will have to switch cell phone service providers. He has ATT and still has another year on his contract. From the looks of the coverage maps for all the services, it doesn't look good. Is there a favorite up there... one that is better than the others? Or is ATT the same as all the rest?

Two more weeks until graduation!

Proud mom of a recruit currently at boot camp! 

Proud mom of SN Daniel Cable - ALFA 183 
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    01 Apr 2010 05:15 PM
    Alaskan Cell Phones...

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

- Mark Twain

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lollipop

--
    01 Apr 2010 05:29 PM
    That's about how I thought it was going to be. CRAPPY!
    Anyone else have better service than this?

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    01 Apr 2010 05:48 PM
    I was in Juneau with TMobile and I had excellent service and was not charged a dime of roaming time, I was in a coverage area the whole time. I know I texted with Britt and even Jen while she was there visiting and there never seemed to be a problem (they were on Kodiak). I'm not sure who Britt has service through but I do know she still has her Alaska number even though she is in Virginia now. My ex & his wife both have cells and anytime I have wanted to call them, there has never been an issue, easy to reach, clear call, never any problems.

They are pretty up to date on technology despite Gears idea of Alaskan cell phone communication! LOL

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    01 Apr 2010 06:58 PM
    Always wanting to be on the "Cutting Edge" of technology, here is an actual picture of Gears' cell phone:

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    01 Apr 2010 07:17 PM
    lollollol

- Mark Twain

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    02 Apr 2010 12:27 AM
    Pepper,

Check out my voice mail service!

- Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    sunny717

--
    02 Apr 2010 01:35 PM
    Lollipop
    There is absolutely no problem with cell phone service in Kodiak.
    Last I heard AT&T had 4 towers in Kodiak.
    We talk to our son in Kodiak with no problem. No cell phone service on St. Paul Island though.

AST3 Coastie. Dad & Mom and Sunny

Sunny
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    02 Apr 2010 01:36 PM
    When I was a kid, growing up on a farm in Northern California, we actually had one of THESE in our dining room. We didn't get a desk phone until I was a teenager...but it didn't have a rotary dial. You had to give the operator the number you wanted. We had an 8 party line. I can still remember our phone number was 5-1-J-1. Each farmer was responsible for maintaining the telephone lines going through their property...in most cases tree-to-tree. It was a really big deal when we finally got dial phones back in (about) 1960.

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    jkribell

--
    02 Apr 2010 04:22 PM
    My in laws (South Dakota) still have rotary phones~  with no voice mail even~~ They still live in the flintstone days!

Proud Mom to FS3Kribell-USCGC Hamilton, San Diego
    USCG Aux Member District 14 Divison 1
    DSO-CC/EM/PA; Flotilla FN/SR 

Lucky to live in Hawaii - Mom to FS3Kribell, USCGC Hamilton, San Diego
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ltate

--
    02 Apr 2010 05:18 PM
    My Mom, too! And it drives me nuts because whenever we go out to Spearfish to visit, NONE of our cell phones work worth a darn. It's almost like being in the Twilight Zone when you're out there. haha  As far as the cell phone service in Alaska goes, my daughter has AT&T and she was able to call me from the boat when they were anchored about a mile offshore north of Barrow! I figure if she can get service there, they certainly have it in Kodiak.

Laurie

<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 4/2/2010 11:54:53 AM GMT

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lollipop

--
    02 Apr 2010 06:22 PM
    wow, thanks everyone. That's great info and great stories. He got to call home today since he is one of the ones going 'overseas'. He says the CG will pay for his airline ticket from Philly to San Diego, and from San Diego to Alaska but we had to hang up before he could say who books the flight to Alaska. Does anyone know if he books it himself, then gets reimbursed? Or does the CG do all of it?He will get to call again tomorrow during on-base liberty. I can ask him then.

Seriously

--
    02 Apr 2010 09:21 PM
    From past experience with my daughter, your son will work with SATO there to finalize all his travel arrangements. Our days of organizing their travel arrangements are over LOL!

hop

Seriously people, it's just common sense, not rocket science

Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    04 Apr 2010 09:37 PM
    at&t works best in kodiak. i say keep it if you have it.

however, verizon does work.....
    when i was there, there was no verizon
    store on the island. leaves you stuck
    if your phone breaks.

Jen

Proud Coastguard Mom of

OS3 Church, Brittney R.
    Camslant Chesapeake, VA

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin

~Jen~
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lollipop

--
    05 Apr 2010 03:09 PM
    Jen,
    How about getting internet on your phone? Will there be any chance of that? He was thinking of switching to his own cell phone plan when he gets up there so he can have unlimited downloads and gps, etc. I won't let him on my plan. But if there's no phone internet up there, then there is no reason why he needs to switch and end up paying more.

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    05 Apr 2010 08:24 PM
    AT&T Data Coverage for Kodiak, AK.

Google Maps view of same area for comparison purposes.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lollipop

--
    05 Apr 2010 08:35 PM
    Thanks, wepprop. I got totally different map results when I tried looking it up like that. That's why I asked. The map I got had no 3g service at all, so I decided to ask someone that could tell me for sure that there isn't any coverge.

Thanks!

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ltate

--
    05 Apr 2010 09:08 PM
    My daughter was in Kodiak not long ago.....she's an MST on the Polar Sea and they stopped there on their way up to the Bering.....and I just noticed that she was posting on her facebook page via her iphone so I'm assuming your son shouldn't have any problem getting on the internet up there with his phone.

Laurie

Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    06 Apr 2010 06:04 PM
    britt said when she was there...

she has an iphone....
    it had internet capabilities, but not 3g
    abilities. she said a little slow sometimes
    but usable!

Jen

Proud Coastguard Mom of

OS3 Church, Brittney R.
    Camslant Chesapeake, VA

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin

~Jen~
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lollipop

--
    06 Apr 2010 07:29 PM
    Thanks! I confirmed this all through the AT&T store this morning. My son will be getting his own plan and an i phone as soon as he gets back . I know it's probably cheaper for him to stay on our plan but I don't WANT internet, and we have to add one more line and I don't need a bigger bill!
    I hope they let him keep his number.

Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    06 Apr 2010 07:55 PM
    he will get better reception if he takes an alaskan number. not sure why....but apparently it is what at&t told britt when she was up there.

Jen

Proud Coastguard Mom of

OS3 Church, Brittney R.
    Camslant Chesapeake, VA

~Jen~
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    coastieproud

--
    06 Apr 2010 08:32 PM
    Michael is in Kodiak now and we have AT&T. We have not had any problems with reception and he plans on staying on our plan.

Stacy-Proud mom to OS3 Rader
     USCG Munro-Kodiak Alaska

USCG Munro-Kodiak Alaska
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lollipop

--
    06 Apr 2010 11:59 PM
    Coastieproud,
    Did he keep his home number or switch to an Alaska number?

9 days until graduation!

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    07 Apr 2010 01:30 AM
    Its not Alaska, but Colin has kept his NJ number. That was moving to Texas and now on to Boston and still with a NJ number. I don't see why he couldn't keep his number. Colin can even keep his number if he takes over the bill. Jen said something about reception if it isn't an Alaska number... ask AT&T about that. If it isn't an issue he should be able to keep his number.

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    jkribell

--
    07 Apr 2010 02:58 AM
    Yeah - Heather has kept her HI number as well.  She also bought a Panamanian phone while she was down south which made it easier and cheaper to call home that way.  Of course makes it tough when we call her -- the animated voice mail is all in spanish!!   

Proud Mom to FS3Kribell-USCGC Hamilton, San Diego
    USCG Aux Member District 14 Divison 1
    DSO-CC/EM/PA; Flotilla FN/SR 

Lucky to live in Hawaii - Mom to FS3Kribell, USCGC Hamilton, San Diego
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    coastieproud

--
    07 Apr 2010 04:44 PM
    Michael kept the same number from right here in Texas. We were worried, but no problems at all.

USCG Munro-Kodiak Alaska

USCG Munro-Kodiak Alaska
    Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    08 Apr 2010 12:13 AM
    we went to at&t today....

using their service in alaska adds an additional $5.44/mo for taxes and tower usage. the alaskan phone number apparently coordinates better with the alaskan towers.

britt did have her indiana number for awhile when arriving in kodiak....
    however, she did end up taking the alaskan number.

Jen

Proud Coastguard Mom of

OS3 Church, Brittney R.
    Camslant Chesapeake, VA

~Jen~
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement