Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Question about BAH in Alaska
Last Post 08 Apr 2010 01:12 AM by Old Guard2. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
lollipop

--
06 Apr 2010 11:55 PM
    My son says he will get BAH when he goes to Kodiak, Alaska. If he's living in barracks, is single and has no dependents, why would he be eligible for BAH? Do they have to pay rent to live in barracks? Just trying to figure it all out. He will tell me when he gets home but I want to know NOW!

9 days until graduation!

Proud mom of a recruit currently at boot camp! 

Proud mom of SN Daniel Cable - ALFA 183 
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    06 Apr 2010 11:59 PM
    No, he won't pay rent to live in the barracks. If they are giving him BAH, it will be to get an apartment on the economy. Some units that don't have enough barracks space allow their members to receive BAH to find their own housing.

R/

PO1 Kevin Couture

You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    07 Apr 2010 01:26 AM
    It was way too long ago for me to remember... If you are single in the barracks, do you get COLA? If he is living in the barracks he won't get BAH but he might get COLA.

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lollipop

--
    07 Apr 2010 01:52 AM
    Yes, COLA we know about. He will get that simply because he will be living in Alaska. I'm still waiting to hear back from him about if he's living in barracks or on the boat or on the economy. The site that lists all the districts and info about each says that newcomers will live in barracks, subject to availability. But then my son said he will be getting BAH. That's what confused me. I'll get it cleared up this weekend when he has his liberty.

9 days until graduation!

Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    07 Apr 2010 10:20 PM
    old command for the haley....

single and unmarried you will be in the barracks. if the barracks are full....
    you will stay on the ship until availability in the barracks is there.

next option would be housing on base....
    that only happens if you are married.

unless a non-rate is married....
    they will stay in the barracks....to move off base and live off the economy requires the advancement to petty officer.

Jen

Proud Coastguard Mom of

OS3 Church, Brittney R.
    Camslant Chesapeake, VA

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin

~Jen~
    Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    07 Apr 2010 10:22 PM
    no bah for non-rates....

the barracks in kodiak is HUGE!!!!
    in addition, there are barracks for 21+
    and separate units for 20 and under.

Jen

Proud Coastguard Mom of

OS3 Church, Brittney R.
    Camslant Chesapeake, VA

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin

~Jen~
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lollipop

--
    07 Apr 2010 11:38 PM
    Wow! Good info. Will my son need to supply his own linens (sheets, towels, blankets, etc.)? I would assume not, but it would be nice to know ahead of time. Are the barracks two to a room or 20-100 to a room?

Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    08 Apr 2010 12:08 AM
    they do supply linens.....

however, they are not very nice and there is a laundry fee. most opt to buy their own.

rooms are equiped for 2 to a room and a shared head with another room. so 2 to a room....4 to a bath.

Jen

Proud Coastguard Mom of

OS3 Church, Brittney R.
    Camslant Chesapeake, VA

~Jen~
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lollipop

--
    08 Apr 2010 12:13 AM
    Sorry so many questions.
    One more....ok, two. What size beds? And are there regulations on what color they can be?

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    britt3907

--
    08 Apr 2010 12:14 AM
    also another note to the barracks. they do provide the some sheets and blankets but they are not very nice and the person who had them before is responsable for making sure they get cleaned, so your taking them at your own risk. the barracks does not supply towels but the exchange sells them for a very reasonable price. along with other linens, pillows, and blankets. or he can make a trip into town for walmart. the barracks in kodiak are the nicest barracks i have ever stayed in since i've been in. the people in charge up there go to great lengths to keep them nice for people and are always looking to improve them. but there are always rules that come with the barracks and i know for a fact if he is going to deck how the bm1 and the chief view barracks. its a privlege not a right if he messes up or does not complete his quals they will place him back on the ship. as for the size of the beds they are twin size beds and actually pretty comfertable.

OS3 Brittney Church
    CAMSLANT VA

Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    08 Apr 2010 12:15 AM
    lollipop....sorry i don't know your real name.

the questions are fine......i had a ton as well before britt headed up to kodiak. if you would like....send me your email....i can send you pictures of the 20 and under barracks. inside and out....

in addition....
    the rooms have a refrigerator and a microwave as well.

Jen

Proud Coastguard Mom of

OS3 Church, Brittney R.
    Camslant Chesapeake, VA

~Jen~
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    britt3907

--
    08 Apr 2010 12:16 AM
    also linens do not have to be a certain color. he can decorate the room if he likes. keep in mind since i left they have changed command but im pretty sure the rules are pretty much the same. if you have any rules questions i can help you. not only did i live there but i also worked there tad for sometime when i injured my knee

OS3 Brittney Church
    CAMSLANT VA

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    08 Apr 2010 01:12 AM
    Colin went out and bought his own sheets for his rack on the ship. There were a couple of them that decided to play interior designer... someone has Hulk, someone has Michigan blankets & sheets, Colin did Harley Davidson. So sheets can be fun. In his barracks room he has a blanket on the bed instead of sheets. So far it hasn't been a problem so you can do whatever makes you happy... I'm sure within some sort of reason but what makes you happy.

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement