Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
learn to swim?
Last Post 01 Dec 2016 02:26 PM by Old Guard2. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Oasis234

--
07 Apr 2010 03:43 AM
    Hi, im new to this forum and am thinking about joining the coast guard. Quick question, do you have to already know how to swim BEFORE you go into boot camp? and what kind of training do you do inside a swimming pool in Boot camp? and is it hard? Thanks in advance lol
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Jessica07

--
    07 Apr 2010 03:55 AM
    I believe you have to pass a 100meter swim, or take remedial swim lessons.

Check out www.military.com/military-fitness/fitness-test-prep/passing-military-swimming-tests there are some good links and advice there.<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 4/7/2010 4:56:11 AM GMT

Coastie Hopeful 2011 ~ Semper Paratus!
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    07 Apr 2010 11:08 AM
    You don't have to know how to swim, although it does help. You do however, have to be willing to learn. The first swim test you have in basic training is on the first Monday that you are there, so any practice that you do before hand would definitely play in your favor.

"If being an egomaniac means I believe in what I do and in my art or music, then in that respect you can call me that... I believe in what I do, and I'll say it."  -  John Lennon

You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    07 Apr 2010 11:18 AM
    With the current slow down in hiring, you have plenty of time to take some lessons. Contact your local YMCA, they offer classes by certified instructors! I taught swimming when we lived in Valdez and I loved it. I worked with little kids but if I could have helped a young adult to learn how to swim, I would have loved the chance.

Swimming is a very natural thing, you just have to learn the basics and you'll be fine. :) Best of luck to you.

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    mdh*831

--
    17 Apr 2010 02:31 PM
    Im going to boot camp in June and I've been practicing swimming. my brother who is in the coast guard sad that if you need remedial you have to get up an extra hour for it. Plus it's just not a good idea to be in a remedial class in boot camp. like oldguard said the ymca is awsome. practice doing free style swimming and remember you will have to tread water for 5 min.

Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    18 Apr 2010 10:59 PM
    My son was in remedial swim because he just wasn't as strong as could have been with swimming. He actually liked the extra attention, it wasn't the "extra" attention that no recruit likes getting, it was honest to God helpful, one on one attention, helping him to learn to be a better swimmer. Not to mention it got him out of the "Fire, fire, fire" and get a shower in 30 seconds or less sort of thing. He got up earlier and had to go to the pool but he was able to meet his company at breakfast. He really enjoyed swimming once he really got comfortable in the water.

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    coastiewifejenna

--
    19 Apr 2010 12:31 AM
    I taught Swimming lessons as a life guard in High School. But I can't float to save my soul so just remember that it takes practice and hard work. I can swim like a fish now but we all doggie paddled when we first started out.

I support Red Fridays!

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    jkribell

--
    19 Apr 2010 05:44 AM
    Heather had remedial PE and said the same thing - she loved it as she could get up earlier than everyone and shower etc by herself without the "fire, fire, fire. 

Proud Mom to FS3Kribell-USCGC Hamilton, San Diego
    USCG Aux Member District 14 Divison 1
    DSO-CC/EM/PA; Flotilla FN/SR 

Lucky to live in Hawaii - Mom to FS3Kribell, USCGC Hamilton, San Diego
    jdudegman@gmail.com

--
    01 Dec 2016 12:12 PM
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    01 Dec 2016 02:26 PM
    At 13, even with your parents I don't a recruiter can legally speak to you. We have several recruiters here on the forum, you can ask questions and informally we will all try to help you, recruiters, Coasties, civilians. We are happy to encourage the next generation of Coast Guardsman.

To help get better at swimming, you can ask your parents to join the local YMCA. There you can practice, even get lessons. Swimming is important but it isn't the most important physical fitness requirement. I will post a link to the Helmsman at the bottom of this. You will find the current physical fitness requirements there. The other big things for you, since you are only 13... Stay away from drugs. If friends are your true friends, if you say no, they'll still be your friend and respect your choice. Believe me, I had friends in high school that were total stoners, I never once even tried. It didn't mean we weren't friends. They just respected my wish to not partake. So stick to your guns if you feel peer pressure. Also, stay out of any other sort of trouble. Try to stay uninjured. I know that isn't easy, you can be walking down the street and trip on the curb and break an ankle, it happens. But try to stay safe so there are no medical issues to be dealt with. Stay in school. I don't know what the policy will be in 5 years but right now, getting in the CG with just a GED is virtually impossible. So stay in school, there are many more benefits to that, even if you don't join the CG. Don't have any financial issues. Probably seems silly to a 13 year old. but if you get a job and have your own checking account with a debit card, don't allow yourself to spend more than you have. That can reflect negatively and could land you in collections for a bill. That will hurt.

The last thing, if you haven't already, talk to your parents about this. Let them know this is your desire. You can contact a local CG unit and take a tour. Maybe there will be a ship in port and you can get a tour of a CG cutter. My son has been on 2 and I still get excited to go aboard and see everything on his ship. Best of luck, I really hope it all works out and you become a part of the CG family.

here's that link...
    https://www.gocoastguard.com/family-and-friends/the-helmsman
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement