Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
DEPOT vs SRDC
Last Post 12 Apr 2010 09:26 PM by Irish528. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Orange

--
09 Apr 2010 04:34 PM
      Talked to two seperate recruiters. Both had conflicting information for me. One said that I was too old for DEPOT. (39) This doesnt agree with what is on the USCG website as well as what another recruiter told me. The first recruiter said my only option was SRDC. The second said I could do DEPOT. How is one able to get a straight answer and know what is the truth. Makes me wary of continuing the process if my decesions are not based on solid information.

Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    09 Apr 2010 05:51 PM
    I need more information. Are you looking to go Active, Reserve, Reserve Officer? What is your background, ie prior service, job skill, etc?. When do you turn 40, etc.

Just to add a little;

There are two enlistment programs in reserves that allow up to 40 years old. Both are prior service programs and use a constructive age. The applicants skills must match the Coast Guard. You must have prior service for us to even look.

As for SRDC, The manual says not reached their 37th birthday by class convene, but I believe a message that came out lets us go older, I am not sure if the actual cut is 39 or 40, Will check on Monday.

I wish you the best of luck!

Vr,
    Chuck

These poor, plain men, dwellers upon the lonely sands of Hatteras, took their lives in their hands, and, at the most imminent risk crossed the most tumultuous sea…and all for what? That others might live to see home and friends. — Annual Report of the U.S. Life- Saving Service, 1885

Recruiting Website

Read here for answers to the most often asked questions about joining the Coast Guard!

<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 4/9/2010 12:07:34 PM GMT

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Orange

--
    09 Apr 2010 07:03 PM
    Hello and thanks for the reply. Appreciate it.

My first choice is to go Reserve. Second chose is Reserve Officer. I am interested in BM, ME, MST or OS.
    I will turn 40 on November 6th.
    Excellent health.
    No prior service.
    I am a nautical cartographer. I work for NOAA(government agency) producing navigation charts both paper and electronic. I have a strong working kowledge of all features on a navigation chart including those associated with USCG such as aids to navigation, anchorage areas, security zones. I am a liason with USCG and Army as part of my job. I have taken an Advanced Coastal navigation course. I have some limited experience handling a 20 foot launch. I have a BA in Geography/Cartography with some graduate work. My experience also includes project manager, serving as a branch chief supervising 10 employees, and leadership training courses.
    Thanks again and have a nice weekend.
    Irish528

--
    10 Apr 2010 06:26 PM
    Orange........

I was given an age waiver at 38years old for the Reserves (Enlisted) and sent to DEPOT. I have a BA degree but went with the fastest option. That said I was told by three other recruiters prior to finding the one who enlisted me that I was NOT qualified becasue of age and medical. I was even told the Coast Guard did not do age waivers by a recruiter. It took my recruiter ONE MONTH to get my age waiver. It was funny how smooth the process went when I found a recruiter willing to give me a chance. Granted my recruiter jumped through alot of extra hoops for me and I was truely thankful for it. My advice to you is don't give up and don't be afraid to call recruiters outside your local area or even your own state.
    Orange

--
    11 Apr 2010 01:23 AM
    Thanks for the info. I will keep at it. I know the recruiters are stretched thin. I imagine maybe they themselves have conflicting info. Mind me asking how your experience has been so far in the reserves?
    Thanks
    Irish528

--
    12 Apr 2010 09:26 PM
    Orange....sent you a private message........
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement