Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Realities of OS
Last Post 26 Apr 2010 02:11 PM by Cooch. 16 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
Jessica07

--
19 Apr 2010 06:53 PM
    Is OS primarily computer/paper based and in the background coordinating everything, or more hands on?

Thanks.
    Coastie Hopeful 2011 ~ Semper Paratus!
    smediumex

--
    19 Apr 2010 09:46 PM
    OS can be described as being the brains behind the scenes. We are not the rescue swimmer, or the coxswain, or the boarding team, although you can get qualified in any of those. Our main goal is to coordinate efforts and make sure the job gets done. We are mainly focused on communications between all parties involved in an incident. We get intelligence, decipher and analyze it, make a recommendation that is given to people in a higher paygrade than us, then follow orders from there on out.

So yes, a lot of the job is sitting behind the desk watching things happen. But no mission in the Coast Guard can be done without an OS standing by, whether it be taking a mayday call or finding the next go-fast in the Caribbean.

"Impossible is Nothing"

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    coastieproud

--
    19 Apr 2010 10:03 PM
    Thank you so much for that post! It really gave me a clearer understanding of my son's rate. He had tried explaining things, but this was very good. I love the people on this forum, they are my life line!!!

Stacy-Proud mom to OS3 Rader
     USCG Munro-Kodiak Alaska

Stacy-Proud mom to OS3 Rader
     USCG Munro-Kodiak Alaska
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Jessica07

--
    19 Apr 2010 10:03 PM
    Do you know if it is anything like Incident Command Systems for civilian law enforcement and fire personnel? (sorry, I don't know if ICS is a military thing too).
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    19 Apr 2010 10:05 PM
    They don't call it the "National Incident Management System" for nothing...
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    20 Apr 2010 05:01 AM
    You will actually take the ICS classes in the Coast Guard as well. I had to do ICS 100, 200, 300, 700, and 800. Exciting stuff.... lol

"If being an egomaniac means I believe in what I do and in my art or music, then in that respect you can call me that... I believe in what I do, and I'll say it."  -  John Lennon

You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lan56

--
    20 Apr 2010 07:57 AM
    I think you get college credit for those ICS things, if it's through FEMA...not sure though.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    21 Apr 2010 02:59 AM
    I think you're right.

"If being an egomaniac means I believe in what I do and in my art or music, then in that respect you can call me that... I believe in what I do, and I'll say it."  -  John Lennon

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Jessica07

--
    21 Apr 2010 03:06 AM
    Yep, ICS is through FEMA.

If I already have these credits (my degree is in Public Safety, ICS goes hand-in-hand with that), will those just transfer, or will I have to take the courses again?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    husband

--
    21 Apr 2010 02:57 PM
    Jess,

As an OS myself, I can comment on this one a little bit..I graduated OS school in November and something one of my instructors told me at school stuck with me.

"Get ready to be in a career that is very underestimated.  You won't be on the boats putting out the fires and pulling the burning babies out of the surf, and you won't get very many "thank yous" in this job.  You're new career is very important though.  Without you (OS) the boats wouldn't know where to go.  As a new OS3, you'll be the voice that calms down the kid that's on the radio whose mother fell asleep and won't wake up, and you'll be the one that saves her.  Think about that for a second"

---Mr. King

That pretty much sums up a career as an OS.  You'll be working in a stressful enviornment, with a very important job, but nobody will really know what you're doing.  You'll be made fun of by different rates, but you'll feel like a million bucks when you know that you helped someone.

Thats just my two pennies.

And as far as the ICS goes, you have to complete ICS 100, 200, 300, 700, and 800 to be qualified here. 

Oh, and coastieproud, I was your son's roommate for the first couple of weeks he was there...small world!

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Jessica07

--
    21 Apr 2010 05:25 PM
    Thanks, that's really informative.

And, any rating can qualify and be part of the boarding teams, right? Or that going to start falling primarily on the MEs?
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    jkribell

--
    21 Apr 2010 05:30 PM
    To be in the CG Auxiliary we also have to take those ICS classes as part of our quals. 

Proud Mom to FS3Kribell-USCGC Hamilton, San Diego
    USCG Aux Member District 14 Divison 1
    DSO-CC/EM/PA; Flotilla FN/SR 

Lucky to live in Hawaii - Mom to FS3Kribell, USCGC Hamilton, San Diego
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    21 Apr 2010 07:03 PM
    As of right this moment any rate can request to certify as BO/BTM. The MEs are going to be responsible for training qualification maintenance.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

- Mark Twain

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    22 Apr 2010 03:08 PM
    I don't think that the majority of the ME work will be as glorifying as most people assume. Sure, the vertical insertion teams will fall under the ME rating, but so won't gate guard duty. So for every guy that is fast-roping from a helicopter, there is another one that is checking ID's. I wasn't interested enough to lateral over.

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Jessica07

--
    22 Apr 2010 03:24 PM
    Cooch said...
    I don't think that the majority of the ME work will be as glorifying as most people assume. Sure, the vertical insertion teams will fall under the ME rating, but so won't gate guard duty. So for every guy that is fast-roping from a helicopter, there is another one that is checking ID's. I wasn't interested enough to lateral over.

Did you mean "so will gate guard duty"?

That's what my recruiter thought as well; and that it will be a lot of making sure everyone else has the necessary training.
    coastiewifejenna

--
    23 Apr 2010 02:05 AM
    My husband didn't want to wait for that reason so he went OS.

I support Red Fridays!

Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    26 Apr 2010 02:11 PM
    Jessica07 said...
    [quote="Cooch"]I don't think that the majority of the ME work will be as glorifying as most people assume. Sure, the vertical insertion teams will fall under the ME rating, but so won't gate guard duty. So for every guy that is fast-roping from a helicopter, there is another one that is checking ID's. I wasn't interested enough to lateral over.[/quote]

Did you mean "so will gate guard duty"?

That's what my recruiter thought as well; and that it will be a lot of making sure everyone else has the necessary training.
    Yes, the promary focus of this job will be to conduct LE training to keep others up to date.  But at the same time, gate guard duty will be a reality also.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement