Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Commsta Kodiak
Last Post 05 May 2010 11:09 AM by Old Guard2. 35 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
Carissamarie08

--
23 Apr 2010 10:19 PM
    Havent posted on here in a very long time, im at OS school right now and just got billets, im going to Kodiak Alaska.
    If you have any info on the area thatd help alot!
    Do you have to live in barracks?

Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    24 Apr 2010 11:48 AM
    lots of information on the boards about kodiak. even the barracks if you search. britt was stationed up there for almost 2 years and stayed in the barracks. they are large and very nice. commsta isn't actually on the base......it is towards anton larson if you have been checking the maps.

feel free to ask question if you need/want to. there are lots of us here who have been up there.

Jen

Proud Coastguard Mom of

OS3 Church, Brittney R.
    Camslant Chesapeake, VA

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin

~Jen~
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    24 Apr 2010 11:19 PM
    Bring your hunting and fishing gear!

"If being an egomaniac means I believe in what I do and in my art or music, then in that respect you can call me that... I believe in what I do, and I'll say it."  -  John Lennon

You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    husband

--
    28 Apr 2010 07:36 AM
    ....and a sweater!  Congrats on a great billet!  You're gonna be busy up there!  How are you liking OS A-school.  Britt and I graduated in November.  She went to CAMSLANT and I'm at Sector St. Petersburg.....Have fun up there!

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lollipop

--
    28 Apr 2010 02:30 PM
    Don't just bring a sweater, bring a jacket or two that are different weights. My son just got to Kodiak, his first duty station, last Friday. He FORGOT his gortex jacket! I'm mailing it to him today. He's a southern California boy through and through and he's freezing right now with only a sweatshirt. Plus, he has to walk everywhere and the base is HUGE. It's supposed to rain every day this week. He spent the first three days living on the cutter (the Alex Haley) then Monday he moved into the barracks. I understand they have different barracks buildings for the guys and gals. If you are single , yes you will live in the barracks. There is no other choice unless you are married. Like I said, the base is huge. My son has no car and no money yet to get one. He will only be there until he goes to a-school anyway. Hopefully next year. Meanwhile he is looking for a bicycle so he can try to outrun the bears!

Proud mom of SN Daniel Cable - ALFA 183 

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 Apr 2010 04:01 PM
    I moved there in December... damn that was cold! By the summer I was wearing shorts and the new people transferring in were wearing sweaters and hats! LOL It's amazing how fast you adapt to the temperature. Right now the base probably does feel huge, and it is one of the largest if not the largest, but trust me... after he has been there for a few months... it gets a little cramped! LOL :)

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Carissamarie08

--
    28 Apr 2010 09:38 PM
    does anyone know if I can buy a car when I get home from A school and get it shipped...or if I already have to have a car to give the people the information about it and what not to get it shipped. cause either way...i want a car.

Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    29 Apr 2010 01:01 AM
    They have dealers in Kodiak and you don't pay tax living in Alaska. :) You can always buy there! Just a thought!

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    29 Apr 2010 01:29 AM
    Macie, I always heard that everything was more expensive there. Is that not true?

"I'm not the smartest fellow in the world, but I can sure pick smart colleagues." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    29 Apr 2010 01:30 AM
    But yes Carissa, if you have a car, they will ship it for you. What I would do is talk to the YN while you are at school and let them know what you plan on doing, so that it is covered in your orders.

"I'm not the smartest fellow in the world, but I can sure pick smart colleagues." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    29 Apr 2010 01:36 AM
    Some things are phenomonally more expensive, others not so much. There is a higher delivery fee thingy on cars but the MSRP is still pretty close to lower states. If you are a good negotiator, you can work all of that out and get a really good deal. Not to mention there are always Coasties selling vehicles that they don't want to take off the island and you can generally get something pretty easily. :)

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    29 Apr 2010 01:40 AM
    Good point. I would try out Alaska for myself, but the thing is, it's on that other coast. I'm a fan of the right coast. :-)

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    29 Apr 2010 01:42 AM
    Ditto what Maci said-----
    Check the used market. Lots of cars/trucks get passed forward from Coasties when they leave Kodiak. My son got a 4wd bronco from a guy who was leaving the Island, and he in turn re-sold it when he left for BM "A" school. Just a thought. (he actually sold it for the same amount he bought it for).

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lollipop

--
    29 Apr 2010 02:29 AM
    HOW do people go about buying/selling cars, or even bicycles on Kodiak? The local paper has next to nothing listed for sale and there is no Craigslist on Kodiak. My son just wants a decent mountain bike but doesn't know where to start looking. We've just decided to ship one to him, but haven't done it yet. Where are things 'posted' for sale?

Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    29 Apr 2010 11:10 AM
    Lollipop,

Mostly it is a word of mouth sort of thing. But I do wonder why you think there is no Craigslist for Kodiak? There most certainly is. I just went there, searched in the Anchorage Mat-Su area, picked for sale/cars, entered a search word of Kodiak and came up with 58 results. There is a very active Craigslist area for Kodiak. :)

Macie

PS I saw a really nice Chevy S10, 1991, Kodiak body but runs great for 950! If I were a young kid looking for a first truck to go have some fun in... that would be pretty sweet. Like Pepper said, so long as you don't total it, when you leave the island you can just pass it along to the next sailor and probably get close or the same that you paid for it.

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    katiensb

--
    29 Apr 2010 11:16 AM
    Macie is right...my daughter and son in law are in Kodiak..they buy all sorts of things on Craigslist...also the huge yard sale is this weekend. It's in a hangar..he may be able to find something there as well.

Katie
             New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Katie
             New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    29 Apr 2010 12:11 PM
    My son bought his Ford Bronco2 for $900 and sold it for $850 when he left. Lot's of "beaters" up in Kodiak that are cheap...plus there's also a big auto hobby shop on base with service bays and tools for fixing them...plus lot's of people who love to tinker with them to keep 'em going.It's a very close knit community...always someone to help out.

Kodiak ISC Auto Hobby Shop

Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    29 Apr 2010 12:19 PM
    if you join coastiechicks.net they have several areas for selling things. usually the most posts in those areas are people in kodiak looking to sell things. there is even an area where people are giving things away. again kodiak usually has the largest amount of posts. during transfer season people are always looking to unload things. i believe the bulletin board at the exchange and commissary also have postings as well.

my daughter was in the barracks. there were times not having a car was difficult...but she was generally able to catch a ride with friends or hop the gv. gv runs a little more frequently on the base in kodiak as opposed to other bases.

i don't see you having too much trouble!!!

Jen

Proud Coastguard Mom of

OS3 Church, Brittney R.
    Camslant Chesapeake, VA

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin

~Jen~
    Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    29 Apr 2010 12:20 PM
    i probably missed it in another post. are you headed to the boats or commsta?

Jen

Proud Coastguard Mom of

OS3 Church, Brittney R.
    Camslant Chesapeake, VA

~Jen~
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    29 Apr 2010 12:24 PM
    Jen,

Carissa is headed to CommSta, Lollipop's son is headed to the Haley. :) Boy make her a new grandma and the brain cells just disappear! LOL

Macie

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Lzemo

--
    29 Apr 2010 12:33 PM
    Hope your not headed for the boats. They hang off the side of the ships!
    <!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 4/29/2010 1:35:10 PM GMT

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Carissamarie08

--
    29 Apr 2010 01:08 PM
    hmmm yeah I have no idea what im going to do.

Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    29 Apr 2010 01:28 PM
    carissa....

when you get to commsta...
    tell tyler miller hello from fort wayne for me.

lol~i haven't lost it!!!

you will do well carissa. i know it's nerve wracking wondering about the unknown. however, you will find the kodiak community welcoming and helpful.

xoxo

Jen

Proud Coastguard Mom of

OS3 Church, Brittney R.
    Camslant Chesapeake, VA

~Jen~
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lollipop

--
    29 Apr 2010 02:34 PM
    Wow, thanks guys/gals. I had no idea. And I wouldn't have thought to search Craigslist Anchorage area since it's 200 miles away from Kodiak. I'll pass the info on to my son. He will definitely go to that yard sale this weekend, too, as well as that auto hobby shop. He's a tinkerer.

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Carissamarie08

--
    30 Apr 2010 08:35 PM
    Ok I have a new question, my dad is willing to give me his car so then I will have to ship it to alaska...i know the CG is going to give me money to get it shipped, but how does that whole process work, where do I ship it from...my home is in Arkansas and thats where the car is at

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    30 Apr 2010 08:46 PM
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lollipop

--
    01 May 2010 01:48 AM
    I'm in kind of a similar situation. We are shipping my son a mountain bike. I found a way to ship it freight on Alaska Air. But my question.... is it possible that the CG might pick up the tab? I imagine it's probably one of those things that if they will pay for it, it'll be a pay-you-back thing. Right? Again, being new to all this is frusterating. And getting my son to do anything on his end is also frustrating. He's new to it too!

Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    01 May 2010 01:52 AM
    Why don't you just send him a check and let him buy the bike there. There are several excellent outdoor stores and I'm sure the exchange still sells bikes. I sincerely doubt the CG will pay for shipping it and the cost is going to be extravagant!

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lollipop

--
    02 May 2010 03:09 AM
    Well, he's REALLY into mountian biking and he's pretty picky about what he wants. He's picked something out here already from the bike store he used to work at and it has been ordered. I tried to talk him into buying something there... to save 'his' money. But I'm just the mom! He's got his own money now and can do what he wants. On the other hand, he's so new to the area and has no transportation to get anywhere off base, and hasn't been there long enough to make a bunch of buddy's with cars. We read about one sporting good store, 58 Degrees North. Are there others? I know in time he will learn all about Kodiak. And he may realize he could have bought a nice mtn bike there. It's a lesson he'll have to figure out for himself, I guess.

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    jkribell

--
    02 May 2010 05:28 AM
    lollipop-I hear you there.  I don't even bother to try and give my opinion about anything any more!!  It goes in one ear and out the other!!  After all, I guess I was born yesterday and apparently just fell off the turnip truck the day before yesterday~!!

Proud Mom to FS3Kribell-USCGC Hamilton, San Diego
    USCG Aux Member District 14 Divison 1
    DSO-CC/EM/PA; Flotilla FN/SR 

Lucky to live in Hawaii - Mom to FS3Kribell, USCGC Hamilton, San Diego
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement