Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
87' WPB Ferrari Class Cutters
Last Post 30 Aug 2011 08:44 PM by spongemt. 45 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Trusted Member
Gears

--
29 Apr 2010 08:20 PM
    They're the Ferrari's of the Fleet. What else do you want to know?

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

- Mark Twain

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    29 Apr 2010 08:23 PM
    And there you have it, no need for further review!

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    29 Apr 2010 08:56 PM
    what a let down after cooch's very descriptive summary of life aboard a 378'

Jen

Proud Coastguard Mom of

OS3 Church, Brittney R.
    Camslant Chesapeake, VA

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin

~Jen~
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    29 Apr 2010 10:59 PM
    Let down? I was being concise!

- Mark Twain

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    30 Apr 2010 12:13 AM
    Ferrari's are flashy, but nothing rides like a Cadillac (378) tongue

"I'm not the smartest fellow in the world, but I can sure pick smart colleagues." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    30 Apr 2010 12:46 AM
    Do they come in red?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    30 Apr 2010 12:58 AM
    A very nice red stripe! :)

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    30 Apr 2010 01:10 AM
    oh plz!!!

they are both just pontiacs!!!

lol

Jen

Proud Coastguard Mom of

OS3 Church, Brittney R.
    Camslant Chesapeake, VA

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin

~Jen~
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    30 Apr 2010 01:45 AM
    I'm not going to bore anyone with a lengthy description. Hit me with questions, and I'll do my best to answer 'em.

- Mark Twain

Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    30 Apr 2010 01:46 AM
    eeww!!!

someone lost their sense of humor this evening!!
    just yanking your chain gears!

Jen

Proud Coastguard Mom of

OS3 Church, Brittney R.
    Camslant Chesapeake, VA

~Jen~
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    30 Apr 2010 01:49 AM
    Lost my sense of humor? Me? Never. If there is someone on this board who does not have a sense of humor he is aware of it's Cooch. ;)

- Mark Twain

Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    30 Apr 2010 02:41 AM
    You spelled Chuck's name wrong.

"I'm not the smartest fellow in the world, but I can sure pick smart colleagues." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    poogotflung

--
    01 May 2010 10:40 PM
    I can tell you anything about the EVAC toilet or the A/C raw water system!

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    01 May 2010 11:55 PM
    The EVAC toilet? What a nightmare. Have you ever pressurized the system? devil

- Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    poogotflung

--
    02 May 2010 02:24 PM
    of course... the only way to learn quick is to have someone elses pee shot all over you.

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    poogotflung

--
    02 May 2010 02:25 PM
    ugh... that sounded much worse than it was supposed to.

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    02 May 2010 02:30 PM
    I guess I'll just settle for being a slow learner...
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    02 May 2010 03:28 PM
    One of the greatest pranks of all time is to pressurize the EVAC toilet... and wait.

- Mark Twain

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Pmackey

--
    02 May 2010 04:38 PM
    Oh no- is this life on a ship?? Lovely!

Proud Mom of SR Mackey

According to the apostle John, the more we understand the shoreless ocean of God's love, the less we'll fear the choppy waters of life, for "perfect love casts out fear" (1 John 4:18).

Proud Mom of FA MACKEY USCGC JARVIS (WHEC 725) Honolulu, HI
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    02 May 2010 06:56 PM
    It gets much, much worse. But, it's OH SO MUCH FUN!! devil

- Mark Twain

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CSAYank

--
    02 May 2010 08:39 PM
    All I've been hearing from active/prior service is how fun the 87's and 110's are. Can't wait to see the rest of these

-Pain is weakness leaving the body.
     -It's 5 o'clcok somewhere.
     - So can you tell me what exactly does freedon mean, if I'm not free to be as twisted as I wanna be.

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    jkribell

--
    04 May 2010 03:03 AM
    Oh pshaw - become a mom or dad - you get shot with so much pee - poop and other icky things.... it's never fun but it's not lethal.

Proud Mom to FS3Kribell-USCGC Hamilton, San Diego
    USCG Aux Member District 14 Divison 1
    DSO-CC/EM/PA; Flotilla FN/SR 

Lucky to live in Hawaii - Mom to FS3Kribell, USCGC Hamilton, San Diego
    MKCoastiemom

--
    06 May 2010 08:04 PM
    Gears, Went out on the 87' Finback this weekend! I couldn't go in the engine room like you suggested because every time I would go below I felt like I would spew! (Maybe because there was a man down there spewing!) It was a great time though! Felt sick until he started going fast, then I felt fine! Very cool to see my son in action!
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    06 May 2010 11:33 PM
    you should of gone down below! puking is part of the experience lol!

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. -John 15:13

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    07 May 2010 01:36 AM
    MKCoastiemom,

That is awesome! It's good to hear the cutter came up to speed, it sounds like your son is doing a helluva job keeping her running.

- Mark Twain

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    husband

--
    18 May 2010 04:11 AM
    Gears said...
    One of the greatest pranks of all time is to pressurize the EVAC toilet... and wait.

you're evil gears...pure evil  devil   you can also cover the toilet with clear seran (Sp?) wrap (the wrap you use to cover leftovers)

Ever had to clean the flapper valve because someone made a catcher's mitt out of toliet paper?  BARF!

I'm also one of the few people in the CG who have experienced being in the sewage hold, fuel tank, and potable water tank of a 110.  There isn't a space i haven't been in on a Charlie class 110.

And I'm quite proud of that :)

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    18 May 2010 11:02 AM
    I've seen the toilet not flush after use. It was no fun for the guy who had to remove the contents. God knows, I wasn't going to do it for him. I've had all the tanks on the 87' open before. You couldn't pay me enough to crawl into any of them. That's what I had non rates for.

- Mark Twain

chekkers0

--
    31 May 2010 10:19 PM
    Just wondering what a "typical" patrol length is on an 87'. I'm waiting to go take my physical but I am trying to look ahead. My wife isn't too excited about me being gone on long patrols right away, even though i'd love to be on a bigger cutter at some point. I think an 87' would be great because I'd get some sea time as well as not having to be away from her for a couple months on end. I've also heard becuase of the smaller crew you have the oportunity to take part in many different roles aboard, is that true or is being a non-rate pretty much the same no matter the size of cutter (sanding and painting)
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    01 Jun 2010 03:14 AM
    I'm going to stick my neck way, way out here and assert something of which I have no direct knowledge. I think the whole "sanding and painting" thing for non-rates is somewhat overstated. Yes, I expect all non-rates get their share of sanding and painting, or lawn mowing, or mess cooking, or dish washing, or whatever is required at their unit that no one else wants to do. But, to extrapolate from that that they never do anything worthwhile or satisfying is a mistake, I think.

I say this only because of my son's experiences in the Coast Guard. Yes, he did the grunt work that was asked of him and he did it well. Because he did it well, he was asked to do more. Because he did everything that was asked of him, and did it well, eventually he was asked to do important things, like boat crewman and boarding team member.

I can't emphasize this enough for anyone starting out in a new profession: You won't be given important (and fun) responsibilities until you demonstrate that you can be relied upon. The way you prove you can be relied upon is to do every job you are asked to do well, regardless of whether you like it or not.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    18 Jun 2010 12:27 PM
    +1 Wep... how many points is that?

87s are dynamic cutters. When I got orders a CWO, a PB Vet, told me, "A PB will either make you or break you." He wasn't kidding.

The "typical" patrol is 5-7 days depending on the mission. However, if you don't expect to be gone... reset your expectations. A 3 hour tour can quickly turn into a 5 day SAR case. You might pull into a port long enough to onload food, fuel, and water then get right back underway.

There are advantages and disadvantages to a small crew. Non rates do get more responsibility, and opportunities to become small boat Cox'n, BTM qualified, etc. The disadvantages are pretty disadvantageous. If a member of the crew is injured or gone everyone has to fill that void. Fewer people equals more watches, more work, etc. When I was on the 87' we never had a "routine" patrol.

For two years I hardly slept and barely ate. I went from getting the boat underway, to executing boardings, fixing casualties, standing watch, training, maintaining equipment, cleaning weapons, ordering supplies, counseling my people, cooking, cleaning, and being an all around bad ass MK.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement