Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
87' WPB Ferrari Class Cutters
Last Post 30 Aug 2011 08:44 PM by spongemt. 45 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
Trusted Member
E

--
18 Jun 2010 12:54 PM
Got to go check out the 87 homeported with us, Seems like 87s give quite a ride, I can't complain on my 110, everybodys up forward on the 87.

Nonrates get a lot of responsibility, my first day they said go work line 1 when we get underway, I was like okay this is awesome since I had no prior boating experience, then they said go grab line 2 on the small boat hoisting evolution, I was a little more nervous, than they said go grab a SAR vest we need you to get small boat qualified. I like the small crew feel, getting to know your shipmates and families from the bottom up. I would love to serve on a ferrari class next
chekkers0

--
19 Jun 2010 03:41 PM
Wep
Thanks for the response...I understand that there is much more to being a non-rate then just the sanding and painting. I don't mind doing grunt work at all, I'm a firefighter and understand that there are always less glorious jobs to any profession. To start at the bottom gives you the opportunity to learn all the little things that people sometimes take for granted. But I have no problem mowing, painting, or cleaning toilets. Thank you for all the input that you've given; it has been very helpful.

Gears and Ezekiel
I also have to say thanks for your reply's. I can see how one might not ever have a "routine" patrol and that's fine with me. When things get routine things can be boring and people can get lazy. I'm hoping to be able to experience that small crew feel either on an 87' or a 110' and really be able to get involved with a lot of different aspects of the missions.

I'm not sure what I will want to do once I get in, so hopefully my non rate time will give me a good idea. I'm thinking either ME, MK, BM, or OS, but who knows I might completely change my mind after seeing them first hand. I passed my physical and scored great on the ASVAB I'm just waiting to see where I fall once the fiscal year draws closer. Thanks to all for your help on here. I've been using this forum for a while and have been able to get a lot of information, I'm just not as talkative as some people on here.
Basic Member
Basic Member
poogotflung

--
19 Jun 2010 05:34 PM
It's true about not being routine. When people ask me what the "Main Mission" of my cutter is I say Sweepers, Since that's the only routine thing we do.
Cassie

--
20 Jun 2010 09:38 AM
Ditto to everything Gears and M-Dog said. He pretty much nailed what, as a wife, I feel like an 87 is like. Hubby was uw for two weeks straight, came back for one day and was gone for almost a week again. But then you could have three bravo weeks back to back and each week only be gone for 3 days. Again big ditto to the advantages and disadvantages of having a small crew.
Basic Member
Basic Member
Rogue580

--
24 Jul 2010 11:54 AM
Im currently on an 87' as a SN. It is something to get used to. The small crew makes it a unique experience. Everyone onboard is really close and as a non rate we have alot of responsibility. On our boat every has to get qualified in basically everything. As an SN im Crew member of the watch, Engineering officer of the watch, inport officer of the watch, boat crew and Boarding team member qualified. It has its ups an downs though. With twleve people and only so many places you can go onboard you can really get away from anyone, so when theres issues onboard it can get a little rough. But besides that its hard work and a great time i would recommend it to anyone coming out of bootcamp it gives you alot of experience, and seapay not being on a larger cutter
Trusted Member
E

--
24 Jul 2010 09:09 PM
rogue do non rates stand import OOD by themselves? whats your day like import, you guys usually b20.
Basic Member
Basic Member
Rogue580

--
25 Jul 2010 08:33 AM
Non Rates Stand Inport OOD by themselves, the rotation isnt that bad right now for us either, were standing a 1 in 6. We usually go out on patrol stints of anywhere from 2-3 weeks, during that were usually out only 4 days a week and on b-6 when were inport. then we come into charlie weeks for usually a couple weeks at a time. Which we dont get underway during that time.
chekkers0

--
27 Jul 2010 12:30 PM
Rogue-I'd just like you to clarify that a bit for me. since I'm not in yet I haven't picked up on all the terms. I've heard 1 in 6, 1 in 5 etc. and I was just curious what that exactly means. I know it has to do with standing watch but is it 1 in 6 days or what? Also when you say you are on stints of 2-3 weeks but only out four days does that mean those other days you are in port around wherever you are patroling or is it back in home port. Of course then what does on b-6, b-20 and charlie weeks mean? Thanks a bunch.
Trusted Member
E

--
27 Jul 2010 03:56 PM
1-5 or 1-6 is a watch schedule, for OOD import its 1 in 6 days you have watch, underway it could be 1-3, 4 hours on 8 hours off.
Matters on what you are doing whether you go home port or pull into another port. we go 50/50 with pulling home or pulling into another port such as miami or the bahamas or puerto rico.

b-6 and b-20 are recall statuses, anything under b6(i think) you can't drink alcohol. If you are in b-20, you have 10 hours to get the cutter underway, b-10 means 5 hours to get cutter underway. you could have 4 days of B20, which means they don't want you going so many miles away from base or soforth. Charlie status is for repairs where you don't get recalled.

YourFavNonRate

--
13 Mar 2011 01:03 PM
I am a SN on an 87, as a general rule you going to be gone about 2 weeks of every month. Some months we have been underway every week and others we will be underway for only one week. It all depends but every 87 has to be underway for a certain amount of hours every year, so all 87s should be about the same. As far as sanding and painting goes, we do alot of it on my boat. It seems that every charlie week we have, means maintenance and repair, we are painting something. But you also have to take care of all your gear like your dry suits, mustangs, and numerous other items. Being on an 87 is hard work, but your only gone for about 5 days at a time so you can see your girlfriend/wife a good amount of time. Good luck and hopefully you get a unit you want. O ya, on my boat we only have b-2 and b-12. B-2 you have to be 30 min from the boat at all times and no drinking, b-12 you have to be 6 hours from the boat.
Jeepin_Coastie

--
15 May 2011 02:18 AM
Hey guys i'm shiping out in a couple of weeks for boot camp from north jersey. I want to strike BM for a couple of reasons 1 missed the A school qualifyer by 1 point on the asvab lol but qualified for a whole bunch of other rates lol. 2 being i can at least start to do the work while everyone else sits on a waiting list. I know tthere is a list to make BM3 as a striker, but at least i can start to work on it.
Any who sorry thought i'd gave a little back ground. I'm hoping to get an 87' WPB out of boot camp to strike on because its a smaller crew and provides a bit more of a one on one based learning environment, which i feel will allow me to not only learn faster but also absorbe everything in more detail.
So that being said i was hoping some guys could give me an idea of what the 87' or even 110'WPB life style is like. I hear it is very busy which is fine with me. I know that they only spend 7-14 days U/W. But I do not know how much time is inbetween those U/W deployments and spent in port. So if someone could just explain the life of a SN/FN on a WPB it would be awsome thanks a lot guys for all the help you give us future coasties!
Trusted Member
Gears

--
15 May 2011 06:26 AM
The previous posts in this thread give a pretty good description on PB life.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
Jeepin_Coastie

--
15 May 2011 01:42 PM
lol yeah sorry about that gears read the rest of the thread this morning was really late when i posted that. I read the first page and most of it was about how they were expecting a full review lol. So i just skipped the second page and posted went to bed. Sorry about that guys alot of great information on the second page.
spongemt

--
29 Aug 2011 10:33 PM
FN on an 87 in D13 here! Going MK! 87's are an awesome platform to learn both engineering AND deck work. I'd LOVE to get on another 87 after A-School! The sight and sound of when both turbos kick in is a good enough reason to stay on one
Trusted Member
Gears

--
30 Aug 2011 06:42 PM
Sponge.. I award you 1 billion points.. I miss that sound like poets miss money and showers.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
spongemt

--
30 Aug 2011 08:44 PM
Posted By Gears on 30 Aug 2011 07:42 PM
Sponge.. I award you 1 billion points.. I miss that sound like poets miss money and showers.

Ill make sure to savor my time onboard!
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement