Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Nonrates at Stations
Last Post 07 Aug 2010 08:20 PM by Old Guard2. 25 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
Vikingsailor796

--
29 Apr 2010 11:33 PM
    Was wondering of the various types of work a Non rate would do at a station? tyvm
    Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    29 Apr 2010 11:34 PM
    grunt work!! and it's generally hard!!!

painting, sanding, mowing, scrubbing, cleaning, etc, etc

Jen

Proud Coastguard Mom of

OS3 Church, Brittney R.
    Camslant Chesapeake, VA

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin

~Jen~
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    jkribell

--
    30 Apr 2010 12:13 AM
    LOL-I was down at Station Sand Island here in Honolulu yesterday and there was a non rate that was using a little line painting machine and was tasked with repainting all the parking lines for the base. When I asked him what was next, he said he had to paint all the curbs that were no parking zones red. At least he got to be outside!!

Proud Mom to FS3Kribell-USCGC Hamilton, San Diego
    USCG Aux Member District 14 Divison 1
    DSO-CC/EM/PA; Flotilla FN/SR 

Lucky to live in Hawaii - Mom to FS3Kribell, USCGC Hamilton, San Diego
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lan56

--
    30 Apr 2010 12:49 AM
    The only exception is if you are BTM and tactical boat crewman qualified (if the station uses M240s). Then, if you are put on the boat crew for that day, you will get to go underway whenever the mission is scheduled for that day.

Otherwise you will do grunt work, so just focus on getting rated ASAP but in a rate you want (don't get TOO desperate lol) and enjoy your off time.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    30 Apr 2010 01:11 AM
    SN - Painting, sanding, lawn care, building maintenance, training, mess-cooking on occaision, maintaining mooring lines, and whatever the deck department needs done.

FN - Outboard engine maintenance, building maintenance, mess-cooking on occaision, and whatever else needs to be done in the engineering department.

"I'm not the smartest fellow in the world, but I can sure pick smart colleagues." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    30 Apr 2010 02:51 AM
    LE patrols, SAR, Comms Watch, training, training, training, etc, etc, etc.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

- Mark Twain

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Vikingsailor796

--
    30 Apr 2010 04:02 AM
    So u just do grunt work around the stations? Mostly maintenance stuff. Wow. lol. Which is better being on a cutter or on land?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lan56

--
    30 Apr 2010 04:20 AM
    Everyone I've talked to has said being on a cutter is better, and I think I understand why. You get much closer to everyone, and you stay busier. At a station everyone just kinda goes in to work and then goes home after their duty period, which is usually only a couple days at a time. On a cutter you spend a week to 3+ months together, doing work and having fun.

I am not on a cutter to know for sure but I am simply mentioning what I know.

If I could do it again I would have put down all cutters in boot camp.<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 4/30/2010 4:29:02 AM GMT

Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    30 Apr 2010 04:34 AM
    It's really a personal preference. My personal preference is being on a cutter over being at a station, but it might be different for you.

Ian, I will agree with what you have been told. My very best friend that I've made in my life came when I was on the Gallatin back in 2000. We still visit each other to this day. Our families are very close too. I have made amazing friends at the land units too, but it's different when you spend every day and night underway with your friends. I wish I could explain it better than that.

I hope to go back to the Gallatin again before I retire. I would love to get my permanent Cutterman's pin (5 years of sea time) all from the same cutter.

"I'm not the smartest fellow in the world, but I can sure pick smart colleagues." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Vikingsailor796

--
    30 Apr 2010 04:38 AM
    So seriously Ashlie, It really creeps me out when you type on my account ><. .

"So u just do grunt work around the stations? Mostly maintenance stuff. Wow. lol. Which is better being on a cutter or on land?" was not me

But really Id love to be a cutter, Ive looked at every cutter in the fleet! The Waesche come on, who wouldnt wanna be on that bad boi! During basic im going to put down all cutters.. My momma wants me to stay in San Diego, Im like, SIIIIIKE. Alaska or Seattle or Boston TYVM. haha
    <!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 4/30/2010 4:41:22 AM GMT

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    30 Apr 2010 12:54 PM
    Colin has made some tremendous friends, but one in particular left the ship in March for AirSta Cape Cod and the airman program. He will start his A school in a few months. But that was his Sea Daddy! They really have one of those friendships that will stand the test of time, weather the brown shoe/black shoe difference, east coast/west coast, no matter what sort of friendship. I think those friendships are pretty amazing and I have a few of those myself.

I have never been on a ship but when you are literally frozen out of your home at 8 & 1/2 months pregnant, with no place to live and your Chief shows up and says "You're moving in with us until they get you housing!" and you live with your Chief and his wife and their 3 dogs and our dog and the 2 of us and me being pregnant and snow up to my butt outside and when you finally move out of their house and you still love each other... yeah, you'll be friends pretty much for ever!

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    02 May 2010 01:23 PM
    I've been to a station and two cutters. I plan on returning to the cutter fleet.

- Mark Twain

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    husband

--
    18 May 2010 05:13 AM

^
    |
    |
    |
    Non-rate station duty.

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    18 May 2010 12:04 PM
    That's non rate duty everywhere.

- Mark Twain

unclesamspirate

--
    27 May 2010 01:55 PM
    ive been a dishwasher since i was 14 lol. not sure it would bother me. gota do what u gota do
    Chrisp

--
    22 Jul 2010 05:50 PM
    I'm an Fireman at a small boat station and it's basically comms watch and lots and lots of PMS on the boats. Plus You have to get Boat crew and BTM qualified. Also cleaning the engines on the 47MLB...not fun at all.
    Chrisp

--
    22 Jul 2010 05:51 PM
    I'm an FA*
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    noregrets

--
    01 Aug 2010 08:14 PM
    Well, this doesn't seem too bad! I think I can hack that. I think it's really interesting to hear people say Cutter over Station because almost everyone I know said it the other way around! I think I'll look forward to mess cooking! I'm just ready to be over my civilian duties... mouthy kids, unit searches, biters, being cursed out everyday, and overworked and under-appreciated (couldn't get any worse in that dept!). Very interested in hearing what others have to say about life in these areas.... as well as pointers because I'm scared as all get out!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    02 Aug 2010 06:15 AM
    mouthy kids, unit searches, biters, being cursed out everyday, and overworked and under-appreciated

Small Boat Stations aren't much different.
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    02 Aug 2010 08:59 AM
    mouthy adults, unit searches, biters, being cursed out everyday, and overworked and under-appreciated

fixed. story of my life lol.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    02 Aug 2010 03:36 PM
    mouthy adults, unit searches, biters, being cursed out everyday, and overworked and under-appreciated

We used to refer to that as: "Retail Sales."
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    noregrets

--
    05 Aug 2010 12:24 AM
    ha! That's probably very true .... all of it... minus the whole "biting" scenario. To this day, when visiting my parents, my mom sometimes becomes one of those people with customer services reps and I just non-chalantly excuse myself from the building! Just ready to see how delightful this process is going to be. After the 17 hour day I had yesterday, it has to be better! I love kids, but definitely do not forsee having my own anymore!
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    06 Aug 2010 04:28 PM
    I love starting battles with customer reps, comcast can't get my bill right, I'm no longer aloud to call customer support I have to go into the comcast building they have here
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    06 Aug 2010 06:09 PM
    Try dealing with Tricare.. Whenever I call they wave a white flag, and just give me what I want.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    07 Aug 2010 10:09 AM
    The only thing I ever enjoyed about Comcast was the call to cancel it. I still get a nice, warm feeling deep down inside knowing that none of my money goes to them anymore.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    07 Aug 2010 08:20 PM
    I feel that way about Charter Cable... they tell you a guaranteed price for a year, then in 3 months, it went up! WHAT? I got Directv but even that I had to cancel the internet service. They said I went over my alloted internet usage in NINE DAYS!!! What are they my mother? I cancelled that part of my Dierctv, but I love the tv service!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement