Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Anyone else consider other branches?
Last Post 03 May 2010 04:05 AM by Cooch. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
lineallowsfor

--
30 Apr 2010 06:05 PM
    I'm from a 3 generation military family, so I looked around A LOT while deciding what branch was right for me.

I seriously considered the Army National Guard and Air Force Reserve before deciding on the Coast Guard Reserve.  My contact at the AFR even had a potential ship date (December 2009) for me, but he was pushing for a tech school that I REALLY did not want (and that was EIGHT MONTHS longer than he told me it would be). 

I've been very happy with my experience with my CG recruiter.  I know my wait will pay off.  What other branches did you consider?   

Hopeful USCG Recruit
    Started working with Recruiter:  September 2009
    ASVAB (95) and MEPS:  September 2009
    Completed USCG Paperwork:  January 2010
    Waiting on a Ship Date

Hopeful USCG Recruit
    Started working with Recruiter:  September 2009
    ASVAB (95) and MEPS:  September 2009
    Completed USCG Paperwork:  January 2010
    I'm in!  Paperwork Approved!  May 2010
    September Ship Date?
    Larkspur

--
    01 May 2010 03:52 PM
    I was dead set on joining the Coast Guard, but after zero luck getting ahold of a recruiter ( I called and emailed recruiters in five states) I kind of gave up. The Marines were my second choice because I was interested in their program for college students to attend OCS over the summers between school years, and I want to blow stuff up lol.

I recently left the state my school is in to do an 18 week internship in another state. And I thought what the heck, I'll call the CG recruiter out here and if they don't answer, then I'll sign the papers with the Marines. The recruiter answered the phone before it even started ringing! I was totally shocked and we talked on the phone for about an hour, and he invited me to meet him at his office the next day. It turns out he went to FS C school at the culinary school I'm currently attending.

It's been about a month now, I've gone to MEPS, filled out the E-qip and paperwork, and now I'm pretty much just waiting on a ship date!

"Dont pay attention to what they write about you. Just measure it in inches." - Andy Warhol

"Dont pay attention to what they write about you. Just measure it in inches." - Andy Warhol
    Kcerbone823

--
    03 May 2010 12:52 AM
    It seems that you two have been working on getting in the CG for a long time. I'm hoping my wait won't be that long. But why?

--Fist Pumping Coast Guard Pride--

--Fist Pumping Coast Guard Pride--
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    03 May 2010 04:05 AM
    Kcerbone823 said...
    It seems that you two have been working on getting in the CG for a long time. I'm hoping my wait won't be that long. But why?
    The average person wait's between 6 months and two years to get in.  Some people are lucky and get the shorter wait time.  For others, it takes up to 2 years.  However long it takes to get in, it's better than the thousands who are unable to join us.  We can only hire a select few per year.  There are thousands upon thousands that want to join, and we simply can't hire them all.

"I'm not the smartest fellow in the world, but I can sure pick smart colleagues." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement