Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Welcome USCG- mom's
Last Post 10 Dec 2011 07:05 AM by MKCoastiemom. 28 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Pmackey

--
01 May 2010 05:31 PM
    Welcome to the USCG Forum

My intent on this topic is to welcome new mom's to this forum and also tell them that they have found the most exciting place to get a wealth of information and support they will ever need right here! I know there are dad's out there and they are 100% welcome to contribute to this topic! But there are some amazingly different things that go on in a mom's heart which I know most about- maybe a dad out there can start one for dad's.. but if you're like my husband he is a man of few words. :-)

My son is in BC right now. It has been the most amazing adventure from the first conversation of joining to receiving word of his first assignment in week 5 of bc to their future direction. There have been good tears, sad tears, scared tears, and very happy tears (like the first time I heard my SR's voice after 5 long weeks) and so many more tears in the future as I watch my son fly off to his future.
    cry

What is your story as a mom? Are you just finding out about your son or daughter's desire to join the CG? Is your child in the process of enlisting? Or are they in now just starting out their first assignment or have they been in for many many years? I'd love to hear from you.. This should prove to be a very special thread and I hope you will all get in touch with some very special moms who understand on here. There are some really funny stories and some times of worry- but they are all part of this amazing organization the USCG.

Do you have a special question or story to share- Please do it here!! This is your one stop place that I hope will unveil some stories that I'm sure we will all be able to identify with.

So happy telling.. Welcome to the USCG mom's!

hop

Proud Mom of SR Mackey

According to the apostle John, the more we understand the shoreless ocean of God's love, the less we'll fear the choppy waters of life, for "perfect love casts out fear" (1 John 4:18).

<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 5/1/2010 3:43:01 PM GMT

Proud Mom of FA MACKEY USCGC JARVIS (WHEC 725) Honolulu, HI
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Pmackey

--
    05 May 2010 03:02 PM
    Don't forget to find the USCG Parents, Family and Friends on Facebook as well as the company your loved one is in on Facebook. You will find priceless gems of videos and pictures of your coastie in boot camp.. Then there are the Blogs.

Proud Mom of SR Mackey

According to the apostle John, the more we understand the shoreless ocean of God's love, the less we'll fear the choppy waters of life, for "perfect love casts out fear" (1 John 4:18).

coastiesmom

--
    07 May 2010 12:39 PM
    thanks for the welcome. My son is a bm aboard the cutter Dallas. They are currently deployed, but on their way home to Charleston. They have been gone since Feb. To say we will be glad to see them will be an understatement. LOL. I will say that his decision to join the coast guard has been one of the best he has made.
    <!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 5/7/2010 1:40:58 PM GMT

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lollipop

--
    07 May 2010 03:39 PM
    My son is a new Guardian. He graduated with Alfa 183 on April 16, 2010. He is now stationed in Kodiak Alaska aboard the Alex Haley. I really miss 'seeing' him! I actually talk more to him now than I did when he was at home! (thank you facebook, texting and skype!)
    I couldn't be prouder of my son for his decision to serve the people of the United States through joining the Coast Guard!

Proud mom of SN Daniel Cable - ALFA 183 

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Pmackey

--
    07 May 2010 08:46 PM
    Welcome ladies- My son is about to graduate Foxtrot 183 May 20 and start his career in Hawaii on the Jarvis. I'm sure you already see what a valuable bit of information this website is!!!

Congrats on your sons and their careers in the USCG.. We are proud moms and if you are like me so excited to know your son has such a bright future ahead of him if he stands firm!

Lollipop- how is your son doing so far in his new station?

Coastiemom- how is your son adjusting to his new life?

Proud Mom of SR Mackey

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lollipop

--
    07 May 2010 09:46 PM
    Well, so far he seems to be doing fine. Living the bachelor life that's for sure! He sleeps in late, stays up late, eats pizza 4 times a week, never makes the bed, plays video games all night, etc.! He's making it to work when he's supposed to, so that's good. And he's been working on his qualifications. He will be going to church for the first time this Sunday, off base, with a friend of mine's brother that lives in the island. Overall he's doing very well. Thank you for asking!

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Pmackey

--
    08 May 2010 12:06 PM
    hop YAY for friend's son's and church!!! What a blessing. I pray he enjoys it and finds a connection to keep him coming back. Sounds like the life. How does he like Alaska? Was it major culture shock for him?

Proud Mom of SR Mackey

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lollipop

--
    08 May 2010 03:08 PM
    Well, I think it would have been a shock weather-wise if he'd gone from San Diego to Alaska. But since he went from being in Cape May for two months, then home for only a week, then to Alaska, he was fine. Though it didn't help that he forgot his gortex jacket at home. That was mailed to him right after he left for Alaska. He hasn't talked of any 'culture shock'. He has mentioned that the base is HUGE and that he's tired of not having any transportation and having to walk everywhere. I shipped him a mountain bike last week. He's looking forward to getting off base and going biking, fishing and to church. I sent him a video of a guy salmon fishing in Alaska only minutes from the base so he's anxious to go catch salmon on every cast! Alaska, I've been told, is definitely God's country. If you like fishing, hunting, hiking, you'll do fine. He's from San Diego, but what people out here call the 'boonies', 25 minutes east of San Diego. So he's not totally a city boy. I think he will do fine. He was quite happy that he got Alaska.

MKCoastiemom

--
    08 May 2010 08:43 PM
    Let me start by saying that I am incredibly proud of my son, what he is doing and the decisions he is making for his life!!!! To be 19 and have a direction is awesome! He graduated August 14, 2009 on his 19th birthday with X-Ray 181. What a great birthday present! He got stationed in Cape May and is on the Finback. (87' cutter) He loves it! He's not too fond of Cape May but it could be worse.

As far as being a mom, it was rough when he left for bootcamp but you have the weeks of anticipation leading up to graduation that helps you get through. The hard part for me came after he got out and reality set in. I know I can talk to him just about anytime I want and we skype too. It's not like his friends that have gone to college and get to come home for the summers etc. So personally, that is when I had the hardest time. It has gotten better but obviously I miss him terribly! As long as he's happy, I'm happy! He's in for 6 years and I would love to see him make a career out of it. He will cross that bridge when he gets to it.

There are only 11 guys on his boat and they ARE a second family to him! That is comforting to me as a mom! He spent his first Easter away from home this year and went to a shipmate's house for dinner. They look out for each other and we ALL become one big family! He is on the waiting list for his A school which will be in VA. Keeping my fingers crossed his next tour is a little closer to home!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Pmackey

--
    08 May 2010 11:51 PM
    Coastiemom, That's exactly how I've felt- it's NOT like sending your kid off to college and know they will be home on weekends and holidays and even summers. But, this is it- they have flown the coop! It's a heart wrenching event... and one I've really had to work hard at getting over since I do still have my other two children that I need to cherish and still raise :-) My SR and his little brother were VERY close and that has been just as heart wrenching to see them and their separation. HOLY COW! When I saw him from a distance talking to his brother for the first time today in 6 weeks he had such an amazing smile on his face. WOW! It was so cool to see that. I wish I could have captured it in a picture.

I guess once he is out and in his first assignment it won't be so hard because I will at least be able to talk to him or email him.. SOME kind of communication. Thank goodness.

But right now I'm dying to hug his neck and just watch him.. haha Silly I know. But that's just us moms huh?!

Looking forward to connecting to more in this new family USCG!

Proud Mom of SR Mackey

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Pmackey

--
    24 May 2010 02:26 PM
    New recruits coming in tomorrow... Any moms out there?

Proud Mom of
    FA MACKEY, JOSHUA
    USCGC JARVIS

acjs mom

--
    27 May 2010 09:29 PM
    HI!!
    My son just left Florida to go to Cape May. I am beyond excited for him. He is my only son and we have never been separated for more than 5 days our entire lives.

I need to know where to go to confirm his graduation date so we can buy our airline tickets now. He said he thinks its July 16th, I believe 8 weeks would put him at the 23rd, can anyone confirm? Also, does it really only last one hour? Will they just book him a regular flight home that afternoon and does anyone know which airport he will be flying out of?

I appreciate any help anyone can give. Thanks so much!!

Michelle
    Orlando, FL
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lollipop

--
    27 May 2010 10:57 PM
    If he reported to Cape May on May 25, his graduation date will be July 16th, baring any speed bumps along the way. Boot camp in 7 1/2 weeks. Graduations are on Fridays at 11am. The drive to Cape May from Philadelphia is 1 hr and 45 minutes with light traffic. Bring change for the toll roads.

I would hold off a bit before you go buy plane tickets. Wait until you hear from him in week 5. He will get to call home to tell you where he will be stationed after boot camp and he will also have a good 'feel' for wether he will graduate on time with his company. All kinds of things can hold him back. From illness, not passing the physical fitness or swim test, not passing mid-terms or finals, etc, etc. There really is a whole boat load of thing that could happen. Not to worry you, but it happens all the time.

Also, when you book your flights, I recommend Southwest because flights can be changed easily without extra charges. All they ask is that you pay the difference in fairs at the time the tickets are changed. And you have a year to use the "credit" if you end up not going at all.  No, I don't work for Southwest.

http://uscgbootcamp.blogspot.com/ This is the site to check his graduation date next week.

http://www.uscgbootcamp.com/go/doc/... This is the place to read the weekely blogs. New ones are posted every Tuesday beginning in week 3, usually! Sometimes they are late.

You might also check out his company Facebook page. His company is probably November 183, if he got there May 25.

Hope this helps!

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 May 2010 01:16 AM
    I can't possibly agree with Lollipop more! Please don't run out and buy your plane tickets today! I know someone that did that... almost 500$ and 2 changes to tickets later, he wishes he had held off and waited. I waited to get tickets until about 2 weeks before graduation.

Your son will fly out of Philly airport when he reutrns home. You can give him your return flight info and he can buy tickets on your flight, if he can get them or you can get his tickets. But again, wait to get them!!

Congratulations and welcome aboard. If you have any other questions, let us know. We'll be glad to help out as best we can.

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

USCGC Midgett
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Pmackey

--
    28 May 2010 01:35 AM
    Hey Michelle! Welcome. You and your son are in for an amazing ride. I can't wait til you get that first letter! I ditto the other ladies. Wait to make arrangements on travel you will get a wealth of info from your son once he reaches that mark. So excited for you!! Let us know if you have other questions.

Proud Mom of
    FA MACKEY, JOSHUA
    USCGC JARVIS

acjs mom

--
    28 May 2010 03:19 PM
    Thanks so much everyone! I will take your advice and wait to purchase tickets until later. Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend :)
    westcoastiemom

--
    24 Oct 2011 09:10 PM
    I am new and i don't know how to post or ask questions...,help
    westcoastiemom

--
    24 Oct 2011 09:18 PM
    Hi I am also a proud Mom....my son will be graduating November 4th, 2011. He is being assigned to the USCGC Mellon out of Seattle. I too had question about housing as well as whether or not he should bring his vehicle, and what is the time line on departure upon arrival to Seattle?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    25 Oct 2011 07:13 AM
    In response to your first post... if you want to ask a question and start a new thread, find the appropriate section and then click on the "Add New Topic" button. That will get you started on a new thread. To reply to anyone just start typing in the quick reply or click on the "Add Reply" button. it's pretty simple and you can't really screw things up, just play around and it will all make sense.

As far as the Mellon... you are asking about a departure time upon arrival in Seattle. Are you asking when will the ship deploy next? We aren't able to post that on open forum. That is a matter of what the military calls "OPSEC" that means it is OPerational SECurity. Ships departure, port of calls, area sailing into, even reutrn to port cannot be posted on open internet areas. Your Coastie will get all of that information when he gets to the ship. At that point he will relay to you what he is allowed to relay. Just another of the military quirks you will get used to. It is a matter of keeping them safe and allowing them to complete a mission. If we posted where a ship was going and what dates they could either sail straight into harm's way or drug smugglers, illegal immigrants or whatever the mission is might just avoid a particular area knowing where a Coast Guard ship is going to be. We all want our sailors to be as safe as possible and be as succesful as possible on the high seas.

Any other questions, let us know. Feel free to start a new thread, you don't have to piggy back on threads that are over a year old. Congratulations and welcome aboard.
    USCGC Midgett
    westcoastiemom

--
    25 Oct 2011 10:26 AM
    Thankyou for your advice old guard2.. Is it wise or not for my son to take his vehicle with him when he stationed in Seattle to go out on the cutter? And he is single and will they have a place for him to live while he is not on the cutter? We are so excited to be there for him on his graduation in less than 2 weeks. He was having problem with choosing his carrer. At first he decided on maritime law enforcement, now he said that it will be 2 years waiting, so he was looking at Yeoman. I am not sure what exactly what it is, and is he making a mistake because he had to pick something at that moment? I heard that once you picked it you are pretty much stuck with it until the time is over..Please advice.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    25 Oct 2011 12:04 PM
    He might want his car there. It isn't a bad thing to have if he wants to go exploring. As far as living space... for a while he will live aboard the cutter. After he gets his qualifications then he may be offered to move off the ship. I don't know if there are barracks there or not. Someone else stationed there might be able to help out with that answer.

As far as his career choice there is no need for him to make those decisions yet. That is the beauty of the Coast Guard. They have the opportunity to go into the fleet, look around, see what the rates are all about. There might be a rate out there he has never even heard of and will fall in love with it. Don't settle for anything, convince him of that, do not settle! Yeoman is something similar to an HR type of person or an admin type of person. They are a very important part of what is going on in the Coast Guard but they are much more of a desk job. If he was thinking ME and settles for YN he will probably be very unhappy. I don't know him so maybe a desk job is something he will excel at and absolute love, but please tell him to truly research his choice.

You aren't stuck in a rate forever but it can be very difficult to change once you are there. It isn't impossible but difficultto switch if he decides he is unhappy. The CG gives them ample time to look around and decide, so decide right!
    USCGC Midgett
    Rustylark

--
    08 Nov 2011 03:00 PM
    How wonderful of you to create a special place for us. My son will be leaving for Cape May on Dec. 13th. I too have tons of questions but am trying not to hover or make him crazy. I'm incredibly proud and I know he'll do well. I join him in hoping he'll get a post in somewhere totally different from home (Michigan) - that's part of why you join up right? But I know it's going to be tough. Just to top it off, I recently married a Canadian and will be moving up there (400 miles ) and thus away from my older son once Alex leaves for Boot Camp. It's like a triple loss and adjustment and I keep wondering how I could have done it differently (my husband and I have been 'dating" for five years and I was waiting for both my boys to be out of high school before moving -That was more than you wanted to know I'm sure)

Most of my questions are about what happens right after graduation and what to expect living arrangement wise with his first posting. I'll scan the site some before I ask something someone's covered already.

Again, thank you for you work here. I know I'll be looking for support very very soon.

Proud Mother of Alex Reinke!
    Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime. Adlai E. Stevenson
    Rustylark

--
    08 Nov 2011 03:01 PM
    I'm sure I'm just missing something.  I typed USCG parents into facebook and got no hits....should I do something differently?  Thanks in advance.
    Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime. Adlai E. Stevenson
    westcoastiemom

--
    08 Nov 2011 05:38 PM
    My son graduated last friday Nov.4th, it was a wonderful ceremony. His unit was the first 1 to held the ceremony inside the Performing art center because the gym is under 3 million dollars remodeling. I was such a wonderful experience for us to be there for him. They all looked so handsome and so neat to watch them all, I can tell they were very nervous but PROUD.... He have to report to Seattle on Friday the 10th, and I guess from there we will find out what he willl be doing and where his cutter willl be heading i guess. We will miss him and it will be hard to say goodbye again....but "I have to grow up and leave sometimes Mom"....this is what my son said.......
    MKCoastiemom

--
    03 Dec 2011 02:04 PM
    The goodbyes never get easier west!! Rustylark, I haven't been on here in a long time, but my son has been in for 2 1/2 years and I will try to answer any questions you have. Paula, the one who started this thread I don't think is on here anymore. My son got stationed in Cape May after bc!! He wasn't too happy about having to stay! Cape May was a wonderful place to visit though! He was on the Finback which is an 87' cutter. He graduated bc August 14, 2009. He went to his A school in VA, Jan of2011 and got stationed at the OBX in May of this year at a small boat station. So send your questions and I'll do my best to answer.
    Rustylark

--
    07 Dec 2011 11:00 AM
    Thanks MK, I really appreciate it.

I'm doing pretty well thus far...haven't cried and making lots of jokes with him.  Trying to keep him as upbeat and confident as possible.  I'm going to do my best to keep my tears for alone time, and graduation. He is shipping out on the 13th from Detroit.

I know this adulthood thing is what we've been preparing him for all his life.  And hey, it sounds like their getting "adopted" for Xmas, means I get a phone contact that I wouldn't have had otherwise.  Hows that for looking at the glass half full.

What's your home town?  I'm here in Rochester, but am moving up to a small town in Ontario, east of the Sault as I married a Canadian this past summer.  I have one son, he's 21, who will still be here while he's finishing college.  So there is a lot of changes happening in a small space of time.

How old is your son and where did he ask/hope to be stationed?  Alex will be 19 on the 14th (ships out on the 13th), and he's hoping for the California, New York or Chicago as he is hoping to get as many new experiences as possible.

So teach me: What is A School? What is OBX?  You would think growing up in Michigan, near Selfridge Air Force Base as a kid, and boating all my life, I'd know a bit more....but I feel very ignorant!  Is your son enjoying the Coasties? How about you?  

By the way, if they are assigned to a ship....what does that mean in terms of living space? Do they have an apartment or barreks (SP?)? How do you go about visiting him?

Nice to have another mom to ask, as I don't like to bother him with this stuff and I feel a bit silly at times.

Again, thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement!
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    07 Dec 2011 12:20 PM
    Since your son hasn't shipped yet, let me offer you this idea. Pick a night this week, the 2 of you go out on your very own "date night". Colin & I left our respective significant others at home and went out, just the 2 of us. We went to our favorite VietNam restaurant for Pho Noodles and Sushi. We must have sat there for more than 3 hours. Just talking, laughing, trading those last little mommy & me secrets and just having that time with no cell phones, no other person, no interruptions (save the waiter wanting to refill our cokes)... It was a fabulous night and one we both have to look back on when we want to have a memory of just the 2 of us.

Colin & I almost always had at least one night a week that was our date night. But this one we let drag on for a really long time!! During those 5 days after boot camp, even though everyone wanted to see Colin, we managed to sneak off for another mommy & me time. It was during the day, we went to the mall, walked around, had something to eat and just in general ignored the rest of the world.

Take that night and do the same... just the 2 of you. There is only one thing as great a mother/son relationship and that is a father/daughter.
    USCGC Midgett
    Rustylark

--
    07 Dec 2011 10:01 PM
    Sounds like you and Colin have a similar relationship to Alex and I. Just so happens we had our date planned for Friday...but I'll be sure to add the no cell option. I've been doing seperate date nights and mental health days with each of my boys since they were toddlers. Now my new husband has taken my advice and does the same with my Bonus daughter (he gets plenty of one2one with my Bonus son).

After graduating in May I let Alex chose our destination,and we did a mom/son week in Ny,just the two of us. It was the hottest week on record but we had a ball.

I'll be sure to take your advice after grad too.

I just read him your note and he made me stop cause we were both tearing up. Hes in my room reading me jokes and stories from the net...our 11pm to 2pm. Chats have always been my favorite times.

It's great to know another mom/son team is out there.

I'm send you a big hug a.d teary thanks...even if that sounds sappy
    MKCoastiemom

--
    10 Dec 2011 07:05 AM
    I'm in Charlotte, NC. OBX is the outer banks in NC. So he is still 6 hours away but that beats driving 10 or 11 to Cape May! My son is 21 now, he turned 19 on the day he graduated from boot camp! His best birthday ever, getting to come home!!! A school is the school they go to, to learn their "trade" (rate). He chose MK which stands for machinery technician. He works on the motors and electrical on the boats. I think if they are attached to a large cutter (210 or bigger) they have to live on the ship until their qualifications are done. My son was attached to an 87' cutter so he lived in barracks unless he was on duty. Now he is at a small boat station and lives off base. When he was stationed at Cape May, we used to stay on base in housing you have to reserve. It's very cheap, but not so nice. After a few times we decided to just to rent a house off base. Now of course we can stay at his house, which is nice and free! He likes his job, he just doesn't like being away from his family. I would love to see him make a career out of it, but at this point, I think he will get out after his 6 years are up. Who knows, things could change. Will be thinking about you Tuesday!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement