Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Rank Exam
Last Post 06 May 2010 06:12 PM by QBEE. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
QBEE

--
05 May 2010 12:55 PM
    Good Morning,

There is an exam that you are to take to move up in your rank. What is the name of the exam? Are there study guides you can get or does the Coast Guard only give that out?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    05 May 2010 02:06 PM
    You have the End of Course Tests for your rating, and the Service Wide Exam which is given in May and November for E-6 and below, and in May for E-7 and above. You'll have access to the information you are looking for once you are in and choose a rate.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

- Mark Twain

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    QBEE

--
    05 May 2010 03:39 PM
    Thanks for the info. How hard are the rank exams? How much time do they give you to prepare for it? Do you have to study and take both exams together while you are at A School?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    05 May 2010 08:36 PM
    It depends on how much you're willing to study. You have as much time as you need to study for the EOCTs. The SWE is only once or twice a year, and they can cover anything and everything.

You'll be tested throughout "A" school. As of right this moment there is no SWE for 3rd Class. That could change.

- Mark Twain

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    QBEE

--
    06 May 2010 12:25 AM
    Thanks Gears.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    06 May 2010 01:05 AM
    The testing process is tons of fun.eyes

Whenther you get advanced (promoted) or not all comes down to a formula.  The formula consists of:
    • Your score on the servicewide exam.  You compete against all other eligible people in your rating and paygrade.  So for me, I only compete against other SK1's.
    • Your time in service
    • Your time in present paygrade
    • Your award points
    • Your sea time (or surfman time for qualified surfmen)
    • Your marks (job evaluations)
    All of that is calculated into a final multiple. Everyone is placed in order based on that final number.  If you are number 12 on the list, and they decide to advance 35, congratulations.  If you are number 36, better luck next time (every 6 months when testing for E-5 and E-6, annually for E-7 and above).

We just took our E-7 exam yesterday.  Now comes the waiting game.  We will get our scores in a few weeks.  A couple of months after that, they will put out the list of where we ended up with the formula.  A couple of months after that, they will let us know how many promotions are to be made.  The promotions for the May test start in January and run through December.  So it's possible that you could have gotten yourself promoted off this test, but you might not reap the rewards until next December.  Frustrating, but more frustrating for the people that don't make the cut.

"I'm not the smartest fellow in the world, but I can sure pick smart colleagues." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    QBEE

--
    06 May 2010 02:37 PM
    Thanks Coach,
    What about the final exam iin A School? Usually very hard? Only given one time to pass?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    06 May 2010 03:11 PM
    The exams are cumulative in "A" school. When I went through I don't remember there being a dedicated mid-term or final. We were tested on each section as we completed it. Things may have changed though.

- Mark Twain

Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    06 May 2010 03:27 PM
    I had a final at the end of mine. I can't remember for sure, but if you failed, I believe you were able to take it again. It was open manual, so if you put in the effort, you were able to pass. That is not the same for all schools though.

"I'm not the smartest fellow in the world, but I can sure pick smart colleagues." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    QBEE

--
    06 May 2010 06:12 PM
    You both have been so informative.
    Thanks so much!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement